PDA

View Full Version : which resturaunt is best in epcot WS

jakeybake
01-19-2009, 06:29 PM
:mickey:I love WS but there are a lot of resturaunts and i need your opinion.

Daisy'sMom
01-19-2009, 06:31 PM
It depends on what you like. I love Canada and Japan. I do not like Italy's or China's.:mickey:

DreamFinder2
01-19-2009, 06:33 PM
We love the San Angel Inn at Mexico.

SBETigg
01-19-2009, 06:43 PM
They all have their own special appeal for me. I don't think I could choose just one. Bistro de Paris is probably the best, but also expensive and not on the dining plan. If I had to choose another, I would pick Chefs de France but for purely sentimental reasons. I've had great meals there, and I've had mediocre. But I also love Rose and Crown for the pub-like atmosphere, Marrakesh for fun and something different, and San Angel again for the atmosphere and mango margaritas.

Perhaps better to ask least favorite and rule out from there? I wouldn't return to Biergarten (fun, great atmosphere, just not my style). Norway's Akershus and Nine Dragons aren't high on my to-do list.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
There are so many good places to eat in WS.

The "best" one really depends on your preferences. In our family, we love R&C and Bietergarten! :eat:

Pete Olsen
01-19-2009, 07:07 PM
We would list as our favorites -
Le Cellier Steakhouse, Chefs de France,
Tutto Italia & Teppan Edo. Each resturaunt is unique with special menus.

It is hard to pick just one, but if we could only go to one WS resturaunt on a trip it would definitely be Le Cellier.

tadshome
01-19-2009, 07:32 PM
I would go with Le Cellier :thumbsup:

Gracie'sMom
01-19-2009, 07:52 PM
:mickey:Chefs de France - great food, attentive staff, relaxing atmosphere, very authentic - you forget you at WS instead of France. Last time we were there it was the Chefs lunch time and the staff sat down at a back table. It is always a good sign when the staff eats the food they serve.:number1:

biodtl
01-19-2009, 07:59 PM
We love Teppan Edo. We try to do different places each time, but we always go back there - the kids love the table-side cooking, and we all love thew fresh, healthy food.

cindchan
01-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Marrekesh and Rose and Crown are my favorites. ^_^

swampfox28
01-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Haven't eaten at Le Cellier (YET!), but can say that we were pleasantly surprised with both R&C and with Biergarten. Both had VERY good food and I enjoyed them immensely even though I didn't expect to like them that much!

Music was a little loud in Biergarten, but it was very fun. R&C we tried too hard to get a table "with a view", but come fireworks time, so many people got in front of us it didn't matter and I wouldn't worry about that so much next time...

Good luck!

-Sarah

GhostHost999
01-19-2009, 10:46 PM
You can't go wrong with Le Cellier Steak House...great food, nice cozy atmosphere.

If you're looking for something more lively, give Biergarten a try...lots of fun to be had in there, plus you've got good food and the price is right.
:number1:

goofy78
01-20-2009, 12:04 AM
it is hard to decide on just one. my vote would have to be for teppan edo ( still teppanyaki for me). the reasons are good food, atmosphere, and more importantly the entertainment with the chefs cooking right in front of you. this restaurant is a tradition for me but i do like all of the ones i have been to. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-20-2009, 10:16 AM
LeCellier

prttynpnk
01-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Yutto Italia and Marrakesh are my current favs- great food and a nice change of atmosphere.

goofy89
01-20-2009, 11:31 AM
I really enjoyed San Angel Inn, Le Cellier, and Biergarten :mickey:

RocknBev
01-20-2009, 12:03 PM
DH and I love Rose and Crown...but our last visit to Le Cellier has to make that our top choice!:number1:

Goes4FastPass
01-20-2009, 03:11 PM
This is impossible to answer because they are so different.

If the question is "who likes steak?" you'll get one answer or "who likes crepes?" another.

I think the best WS restaurant is the last one I tried and the next one I plan to try.

mouseketeer mom
01-20-2009, 04:29 PM
This is impossible to answer because they are so different.

If the question is "who likes steak?" you'll get one answer or "who likes crepes?" another.

I think the best WS restaurant is the last one I tried and the next one I plan to try.

Agreed, you could get endless combinations of responses. They are all so very different, and such a matter of taste. We've had some unexpected likes-San Angel- we resisted for awhile, Mexican food is easy to come by at home, but found out we loved San Angel. Le Chefs-an unexpected dislike..we love the whole french vibe, french food, but this place didn't cut it for us. And...everything in between!!!

Natazu
01-20-2009, 04:58 PM
OK, get comfortable:

Akershus Princess Storybook Breakfast (Table Service) ☺☻
The food is about what you’d expect at a Big Boy™ restaurant but that isn’t what brings people to Akershus. Previously, this was a good place to meet princesses. Since they started “including” a picture package and raised the price to like $33, I can’t in good conscience recommend it.

Biergarten (Table Service) ☺☺☺
On Oct 17, 1810, Crown Prince Ludwig of Bavaria celebrated his marriage to Princess Therese of Sachsen with one of the grandest festivals of Munich had ever seen. Thus the Oktoberfest began. The tradition continues bathed in beer, music, and lots of stick-to-your-ribs meats, pastas and German salads. The price is fair and if you can’t get filled-up here, you need surgery. Don’t expect gourmet food, but that’s not what we go to buffets for now, is it? Nonetheless, Ich bin ein berliner.

Bistro De Paris (Table Service – Non-Disney – No DDP) ☺☺☺☺☻
Rich with the culinary ideals still held true from Calais to Monaco, Bistro’s homage to French culinary accomplishment has become the maxim to which more restaurants should aspire. Perfectly cooked duck with just the right amount of tarragon or fresh scallops, lobster, and snapper. The hardest part is deciding what to order. So, for less than a hundred dollars a person, you can sample a true degustation of excellence. Why the price fixe menu? Simple, chefs love showing off their talents, and one of the ways in which they can best do this is by offering a menu de degustation, literally, a "tasting menu" in which the meal consists of at least 6 different courses. This gives you an opportunity to try a broader range of dishes than would normally be possible in one visit. A couple can easily sample 10 different items during one dinner and for a little more money, complete the experience with carefully chosen wine pairings.

Chefs de France (Table Service) ☺☺☻
A lot of people think I hate this place. That’s not actually true. The menu was created expertly, some complex items and some, uh, simple ones. However, French cooking is not an art, it’s a science and the kitchen staff isn’t living up to the quality of the original creators. Chefs de France has fallen victim to the most common pitfall when the recipes aren’t created in-house… inconsistency. And that kills if for me (and apparently for Gaston Lenotre). Is the food at Chefs bad? No, but we just don’t bother eating there anymore. Give me consistently great food or leave it in the kitchen. Est-ce que c'est trop difficile?

Le Cellier Steakhouse (Table Service) ☺☺☺☺☻
Worth the title of Signature Dining, Le Cellier is still 1 credit on the Dining Plan. Cheddar Cheese Soup you can’t get enough of, perfectly cooked duck, & fork-tender mushroom filet mignon makes you forget you’re dining in a room full of Canadians. They no longer have their signature Maple Crème Brûlée but who has room for dessert after all those carbs.

Nine Dragons (Table Service) ☺☺☺☻
You’ll see some of the usual Chinese restaurant board of fare and some not so usual things. The Pork Loin is Xo Sauce is one of the latter. It’s worth every bit of $17.99, so is the Spicy Beef and the Eggplant in Garlic Sauce. Each appetizer is as good as the next; five stars to the Drunken Chicken. Sadly they have the same wretched ice cream as the Chinese Counter Service restaurant. The Nine Dragons Sampler for Two is a good value provided you want to try the less exotic (cheaper) entrées.

Restaurant Marrakesh (Table Service) ☺☺☺☺
Lots of people are afraid of this restaurant because they think the food will be too exotic. I think that’s silly. Don’t worry; they don’t have monkey brains or calf intestine. It’s all choice cuts from lamb, chicken, beef, shrimp, and fish. They just prepare them with different herbs and spices and they use pasta or grains where we would use breading. So many items on the menu are my favorites, I have a hard time not over-ordering. I absolutely can’t skip the Harira Soup (like Italian lentil soup), Brewat Rolls (seasoned beef baked inside a pastry), and Seafood Bastilla (grouper, shrimp, & veggies baked in a light pastry). Then a little couscous or Roast Lamb, followed by some baklava, all in the company of two-man Moroccan Combo group and belly dancer. Sometimes the drink service can be a little slow and the dessert selections are limited at best. Nonetheless, Marrakesh is a Do-Not-Miss!

Rose and Crown (Table Service) ☺☺☺☻
We’ll go several trips and miss R&C, then we always wonder why we skipped it. The Samosas are excellent (though a little spicy). I love the lump crab appetizer. You can’t ever go wrong with the fish & chips. The lamb with Guinness BBQ sauce and the orange chicken are unique and appetizing but give me the Tamarind Pork Loin any day, lunch or dinner. I'd like to see a little more diversity in the menu selections and a little more speed out of the kitchen. Also, while R&C is a popular restaurant pre-Illuminations but don’t hold your breath for a patio table. They are harder to get then an NHS dental appointment.

San Angel Inn (Table Service) ☺☺☻
Beautiful and romantic, from first glance the food has a lot to live up to. While the menu is imaginative, the food is only slightly better than average. The beef isn’t nearly tender and flavorful enough to be in a $24 - $27 entrée. Most of the chicken and seafood dishes are pretty good. The sauces are about the only thing exceptional about the place. If they improved the quality of the meat and line cooks would do as much work on presentation as the designer did on the atmosphere, they’d have a good restaurant.

Teppan Edo (Table Service) ☺☺☺☻
Teppanyaki grills don’t really do it for me as a method of dining. I don’t need singing shrimp, onion volcanoes, or Japanese egg rolls to make my meal complete. The food is rarely exceptional and the food is usually overpriced. Teppan Edo is no different. The do have great sushi, but, if you have a great Japanese steakhouse at home, eat there and save the Disney meal slot for something you can’t get on a random Tuesday next door to the local pet store.

Tokyo Dining (Table Service) ☺☺☺☻
With an expansive view of the Epcot lagoon, a more relaxed atmosphere, and a much more attentive staff than Edo, Tokyo Dining is leaps and bounds above its predecessor. Specializing in sushi, they offer several tempura dishes worth a try plus salads and the usual hibachi items.

Tutto Italia (Table Service) ☺☺☺
Quite a bit better than the canned Italian food you get at Tony’s or Mama Melrose’s, Tutto brings a more authentic board of fare. The menu is quite a bit more varied than the usual Italian eatery so even the pickiest diner can find something. The servers are dressed to kill in starched white shirts and black ties which is a little over the top for a place in a theme park but that may just be me. All the ingredients are fresh and the wine list is above average. The problem seems to be execution. There are three things that make a restaurant excel or fail, consistency, consistency, and consistency. Tutto Italia isn’t maintaining consistent food quality. People shouldn’t leave a $150 dinner saying “pretty good”. People should leave with their schedules in their hand trying to figure out when they can fit in another visit.

mouseketeer mom
01-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Jym,
Loved your reviews. You made me want to try Marrakesh, and you really made me feel good about trying Tokyo Dining in March.

Natazu
01-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Jym,
Loved your reviews. You made me want to try Marrakesh, and you really made me feel good about trying Tokyo Dining in March.

Thanks Lisa. I'm sure Christine will be along soon to yell at me for my Chefs comments... and I didn't even compare it to Cracker Barrel.

mouseketeer mom
01-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks Lisa. I'm sure Christine will be along soon to yell at me for my Chefs comments... and I didn't even compare it to Cracker Barrel.

:D, Both me and DH are with you on that one. He made me promise I won't take him back there.

Tinkermom
01-20-2009, 11:08 PM
OK, get comfortable:

Bistro De Paris (Table Service – Non-Disney – No DDP) ☺☺☺☺☻
Rich with the culinary ideals still held true from Calais to Monaco, Bistro’s homage to French culinary accomplishment has become the maxim to which more restaurants should aspire. Perfectly cooked duck with just the right amount of tarragon or fresh scallops, lobster, and snapper. The hardest part is deciding what to order. So, for less than a hundred dollars a person, you can sample a true degustation of excellence. Why the price fixe menu? Simple, chefs love showing off their talents, and one of the ways in which they can best do this is by offering a menu de degustation, literally, a "tasting menu" in which the meal consists of at least 6 different courses. This gives you an opportunity to try a broader range of dishes than would normally be possible in one visit. A couple can easily sample 10 different items during one dinner and for a little more money, complete the experience with carefully chosen wine pairings.

Chefs de France (Table Service) ☺☺☻
A lot of people think I hate this place. That’s not actually true. The menu was created expertly, some complex items and some, uh, simple ones. However, French cooking is not an art, it’s a science and the kitchen staff isn’t living up to the quality of the original creators. Chefs de France has fallen victim to the most common pitfall when the recipes aren’t created in-house… inconsistency. And that kills if for me (and apparently for Gaston Lenotre). Is the food at Chefs bad? No, but we just don’t bother eating there anymore. Give me consistently great food or leave it in the kitchen. Est-ce que c'est trop difficile?

Help me out here Jym. Where is Bistro De Paris and how is it different from Chef de France? Although we have been to WDW many times I have mostly ignored these types of restaurants since we have 3 kids. However DH and I are going in October for our 20th anniversary (sans kids) and I am looking for something we have not tried before but would love to without the kids. DH and I love taking our time to savor a good meal and good wine. Our favorite restaurant is Calif Grill with Jiko a close second. We have also dined at V&A's once and very much enjoyed the experience.

I have always wanted to try Chef de France mainly because it looks so, well...french. ;) I am not familiar though with Bistro De Paris. Why are there two very similar sounding restaurants in France? Am I missing something?

Natazu
01-21-2009, 01:11 AM
Help me out here Jym. Where is Bistro De Paris and how is it different from Chef de France? Although we have been to WDW many times I have mostly ignored these types of restaurants since we have 3 kids. However DH and I are going in October for our 20th anniversary (sans kids) and I am looking for something we have not tried before but would love to without the kids. DH and I love taking our time to savor a good meal and good wine. Our favorite restaurant is Calif Grill with Jiko a close second. We have also dined at V&A's once and very much enjoyed the experience.

I have always wanted to try Chef de France mainly because it looks so, well...french. ;) I am not familiar though with Bistro De Paris. Why are there two very similar sounding restaurants in France? Am I missing something?

You'll find Bistro de Paris upstairs, tucked away from the hustle and bustle, mostly free of day guests and completely free of a kids menu.

Bistro is the more upscale of the two restaurants in the France pavilion. The easiest way to explain the difference is the Bistro serves a French countryside board of fare while Chefs offers more of what you'd find in a cityscape like Lyon, Paris, or Cote d' Azur. In fact, it's exactly the type of menu you'll find in at least one restaurant in Lyon, Paris, and d' Azur because three chefs from those cities (Paul Bocuse, Roger Verge, and the late Gaston Lenotre) created the original menu.

Basically, for Bistro, think Louis XV. For Chefs De France, think French Shoney's.

Tinkermom
01-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Basically, for Bistro, think Louis XV. For Chefs De France, think French Shoney's.

:rotfl:

Well ok then, sounds like Bistro de Paris for us. Would you say it is romantic? What is the decor?

WelshieLover
01-21-2009, 10:48 AM
I don't know if it is the "best" but I need to let you know about our experience at Marrekesh. We went there on Jan 5th. Our party of 6 included my husband myself and our sons and their girlfriends (ages 20, 20, 19, 18). There were 4 picky eaters in the group - like pizza, grilled cheese and chicken fingers - you know the type. :cool:

We they all loved the food there. They even ate their veggies :thumbsup: We ordered chicken couscous, chicken kebobs and beef kebobs. They came with vegetables in differnt sauces. We all enjoyed our meals. The restaurant was beautiful inside. I would highly reccomend it.

jonahbear2006
01-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Another vote for Le Cellier!!!! However, we have eaten at Akershus and loved it as well. IT was a great version of eating with the princesses instead of eating at the royal table; which imho the food is not good. You almost cant go wrong with the world showcase food though. We are actually considering upgrading to deluxe dining so we can eat at all of them.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-21-2009, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Natazu;1815830]OK, get comfortable:

Le Cellier Steakhouse (Table Service) ☺☺☺☺☻
Worth the title of Signature Dining, Le Cellier is still 1 credit on the Dining Plan. Cheddar Cheese Soup you can’t get enough of, perfectly cooked duck, & fork-tender mushroom filet mignon makes you forget you’re dining in a room full of Canadians. They no longer have their signature Maple Crème Brûlée but who has room for dessert after all those carbs.

They had the maple creme brulee in December, we had it for dessert and it was melt in your mouth good...also, in addition to the above mention items, my son got onion soup and it was pretty good too plus my mom's prime rib was awesome

dolphinmickey9170
01-21-2009, 02:56 PM
We love LeCellier. It is a must do each trip!!

We also love Rose and Crown, San Angel Inn, Tappen Edo.

We would like to try Italy, Akershus, and Chef's de France.

stitchaholic
01-21-2009, 06:40 PM
makes you forget you’re dining in a room full of Canadians

and what is wrong with eating in a room full of canadians??????????????????????

RocknRoller94
01-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Canada's Le Cellier is my top choice.

Natazu
01-24-2009, 12:56 AM
and what is wrong with eating in a room full of canadians??????????????????????

Nothing, some of my best friends are Canadian.

Maleficent's Dad
01-24-2009, 06:45 AM
After reading Jym's rather lengthy reviews, I'd be hard-pressed to come up with something new...

Basically, we've had mostly excellent experiences at all of the WS restaurants. Have we had bad experiences? Yup. But they're few and far between.

We don't prefer Nine Dragons or Biergarten - but that's a personal preference. Most on these boards love the places. We find the R&C to be average at best (although we love the pub section). And we thoroughly enjoy Les Chefs (blasphemy to Natazu!!! :scared: :hide2:). My point is, each place will bring mixed reviews.

About the only places that get consistently high marks are Le Cellier and Bistro. These two present their own challenges - Le Cellier is now the hardest ADR to snag in WDW (other than b'fast with Cindy) and Bistro can set you back a few bucks - although you'll leave the establishment very pleased.

Your best bet is to chose a place that appeals to you in terms of menu and theme. Then get a ressie and try to enjoy! :eat:

stitchaholic
01-24-2009, 07:01 AM
Nothing, some of my best friends are Canadian.

ok,you're forgiven then,lol!

Yvette
01-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Well said Notazu!

Believe it or not, I agree with all of your reviews (it's not you, it's me ;) ).

Marakesh especially was a nice surprise on a trip several years ago. At that time I really just wanted to see the interior of the restaurant and had to talk my 19 year old into trying it. We both loved it so much I bought the cookbook! :tasty:

When we go in May I am taking her to Bistro and Le Cellier for the first time, I can't wait!

Any suggestions for restaurants in the Magic Kingdom? I have been so disappointed in the past, we tend to either go to one of the Monorail Resorts or to EPCOT for dinner.

Natazu
01-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Any suggestions for restaurants in the Magic Kingdom? I have been so disappointed in the past, we tend to either go to one of the Monorail Resorts or to EPCOT for dinner.You're doing the right thing. In general, you'll get better Table Service meals on the Monorail loop than you will in Magic Kingdom.

Crow
01-25-2009, 02:17 AM
Tokyo Dining:thumbsup:sake, sushi, excellent service and the prices arent bad
havent tried Bistro, due to prices etc but ive had hit or miss w Chefs....last time I had a pretty good lunch there of Short ribs
Marrakesh gave me a good meal a few trips ago
San ANgel...not so much but the atmosphere is the best
Le Cellier, slightly overated i think and I skipped it last trip...the pretzel breadsticks are good and:beer:
Rose and Crown :beer:sampler, mushrooms app used to be good as was the sticky toffee pudding. fish and chips good bet.
Nine Dragons...looking forward to trying it since the rehab
I keep looking at the menus in Italy...maybe Ill try it sometime since its changed hands.
and I still miss the Hot and Koldbort in Norway...
Germany....well its filling and:beer:

AmandaChan
01-25-2009, 04:25 PM
The best place that WE'VE ate at was Teppan Edo in Japan. Granted we haven't had the chance to try Le Celier yet. Which, by my close sources (an ex-employee) is the BEST restaurant in all of Walt Disney World.

Disney Yankee
01-25-2009, 10:06 PM
We love Rose and Crown for lunch OR during Illuminations.
LeCellier has great food, and pretzel rolls are delicious.
Chefs is always enjoyable.
Went to Teppan Edo last August...great food and great waiter.
We love eating at the WS...have fun!!!:mickey:

Tinkerbelly84
01-27-2009, 12:56 PM
We loved the Le Celllier!

jcvalenti
01-27-2009, 03:59 PM
I went in June 2004, Oct 2004, June 2005, June 2008, Oct 2008 and am going back in June 2009. During that time, I thin I've eaten at every restaurant in the world showcase in Epcot at least twice.

Maybe I was just sick of it, but I think the quality of the restaurants as of 2008 was far below what it was in 2005.

Tutto Italia is a far more expensive, far less enjoyable version of Alfredo's ... and Le Celier went from one of our must-visits to borderline inedible.

I love the Biergarten for lunch, and Teppan Edo for dinner. The Rose & Crown is also solid for pub food. Restaurant Marrakesh is excellent as well, and often able to seat you when no one else can (a more and more common phenomena with the DDP forcing so many more ADRs than in the past).

The last time we went my mother in law insisted we dine at The Living Seas' Coral Reef Restaurant. It isn't the WS, but I highly recommend it. We had better filet than we got at Le Celier, and it was far less expensive. Also, they sported what I thought was the best wine list in all of Epcot, with minimal markup on some excellent Napa Cabernet Sauvignon's.

Overall, though, the dining on my last two trips to Epcot was somewhat disappointing, and this trip, we'll probably make less ADRs and just plan some meals elsewhere rather than forking out the exorbitant amounts for the reduce quality meals at WS.