PDA

View Full Version : Parking a wheelchair outside a ride??

tinkerbelle75
01-19-2009, 10:29 AM
My Mom will be going with us on a trip in May and this will be her first trip since 1989...she is so excited! The problem is that she has some nerve problems in her legs that cause her severe pain when she stands for long periods or walks long distances. We have decided to rent a wheelchair for her so that she can fully enjoy her long-awaited trip. She is so worried that she will get mean looks/ comments when she gets up from the chair to go on a ride, get on the bus, etc. because she has read some posts on this and other sites about the frustration people feel when they think someone isn't really "handicapped". Do you all think it's ok to rent a chair at the parks and park it like we would a stroller before going on a ride so she can fully enjoy the queues without being concerned about getting looks and comments? She is very worried about holding up lines, etc. as far as the buses and rides are concerned.

pilk
01-19-2009, 01:14 PM
My DW is the same. She is ok for short distances/time frames but anything beyond that requires a wheelchair. As far as comments and looks, I don't recall ever hearing any comments. Sure, there may have been looks of wonder but who cares. She doesn't have to justifiy it to someone else. As long as she, and of course your family, are happy and remembering the magic. If someone does say something you can either ignore them or just ask them if they are a doctor and can diagnose conditions that can't be seen.

My DW didn't want to hold people up at the buses either. At one stop she got out of the chair. The driver told her to stay seated and he would load her, but she was already stepping onto the bus. As we were getting off he kindly stated "next time stay in your chair. You are on vacation and we get paid to do this, so let us do it for you.

If you are staying on WDW property the resorts have a limited number of wheelchairs available to guests. As of May '08 they were free for the length of stay.

Aunt Terri
01-23-2009, 12:22 PM
we are taking my inlaws in 50 days and my mother inlaw is the same way. She only wants the scooter for the parks. but since this is our first time using a scooter, i don't know the procedure to using it... such as rides and shows. We really want here to experience the 3d shows but she won't if she is in a scooter.. will they let here use it until we get in the show and then she can get out and sit in a regular chair?

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-28-2009, 03:24 PM
My Mom came with us last year, and she needed a scooter due to her arthritis. She can manage (doesn't use one at home), but can't manage the long days of walking (in fact, even being in the scooter was enough to tire her out most days!).

Anyways, in most of the shows she just sat in her scooter, and enjoyed the show. Other times, especially when there were empty seats nearby, she would park the scooter in the "parking area" and move to a seat.

Either way, the CM's didn't have any issues/concerns at all.

We were actually surprised how much she needed the scooter, and how wonderful most CM's were about making sure she had a good time.

5togetherWDW
02-13-2009, 08:24 AM
I have parked a wheelchair outside an attraction many times. While cast members may offer that "you can bring that in" -- I simply say, "he'd like to walk a bit" -- and they are always understanding.
There are many places where we always park one of the chairs in the stroller parking. (We usually have two wheelchairs in our party. One for a person who can only manage one or two transfers a day - struggling onto fully stopped rides; the other for a person who can walk at times, but does have limits and definitely can't stand for long periods of times (including waits / parades / shows.) ) For most of the day, we push the one wheelchair through and park the other in stroller parking. By the end of the day, we are usually pushing both inside -- often into the same attractions. (We love redoing favorites :mickey: )
Please though -- make sure you are familiar with the ride / wait line before parking the chair outside. Many lines are deceptively long and some do include stairs -- if you are not sure on any line -- please ask (either a cast member when you are there -- or us, before you go.) Many, myself included, can answer ride by ride. . . .