PDA

View Full Version : I need a root canal...

TooGoofy
01-19-2009, 07:37 AM
and I'm nervous, even though the dentist told me I won't feel a thing. :(
Anyone have any spare pixies or words of advice?

luvmyboys4ever
01-19-2009, 07:46 AM
You shouldn't feel it during. Just make sure you take some pain-killers BEFORE the numbing goes away. Once, you start to feel the pain it's already too late. Take it as soon as you get done! Also, take something for the swelling in addition to the pain-killer. I've only had 2, but I learned my lesson after the first one :thumbsup:

VWL Mom
01-19-2009, 09:09 AM
If it is a regular root canal you should be okay with an anti-inflammatory (Aleve, Advil) after the procedure.

If you are in the "must-do immediately" stage you will probably need something a bit stronger. As pp said, take it before the throbbing starts!

You'll be fine but I am sending some pixie dust your way to help you through the nervousness. :pixie::pixie:

tinkerbelle75
01-19-2009, 09:54 AM
I feel your pain! I have had a few, and they are scary, but after a few days, It will all be over and will be like nothing ever happened. Much Luck and Pixie Dust coming your way! :tink::pixie::pixie::pixie:

laprana
01-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Oh! I'm sorry you have to have a root canal, but like the other posters said, you'll be just fine! If your tooth is hurting now and that's why you need the root canal, it will actually feel better afterwards because the toothache will be gone. I just had a root canal last month (my 4th so far!:() and afterwards the tooth itself was just pretty tender and the gums around it were a little swollen and sore. As long as you have anesthetic before they start, you won't feel a thing during the procedure. The most painful part of a root canal is the cost! :D

I know just how you feel...I get so nervous going to the dentist. But you'll be all right! Best wishes to you and lots of :pixie::pixie::pixie: that everything will go smoothly and you'll be pain-free!

Boojum
01-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Everybody's giving good hints! I'll add this--if the oral surgeon has nitrous oxide available, use it. I absolutely hate having my mouth drilled on; the sound of it makes me tense up all over.

Nitrous helps me relax and not mind it so much, and I don't have a headache from "tensing up" when it's over.

Accept a painkiller prescription if it's offered. It's better to have it and not need it than vice-versa.

Carol
01-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Best wishes, Meg. :pixie:

MNNHFLTX
01-19-2009, 01:14 PM
My son had a root canal done when he was 12 and did fine. The tooth was sore afterwards, but other than that (and the fact that the whole procedure had to be done in two separate appointments) he didn't think it was any worse than getting a regular filling put in.

:pixie:

JPL
01-19-2009, 01:22 PM
My dentist advised taking advil starting 8 hours before the root canal to have some already in my system and then right after it's complete. He also gave a perscription just in case.

merlinmagic4
01-19-2009, 03:06 PM
It's really not that bad! I agree with a PP that the most painful thing is the cost (I had to pay for one in full last year and it was over 1100.00!). Take the advice given: ibuprofen or Tylenol before and keep up with it after on regular intervals. You'll be fine :)

mrsgaribaldi
01-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I just had one a few weeks ago, no problem. I didn't need anything for pain after, just don't chew on that side. It was sore for a few days, that's all. :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:for an easy root canal.

DisneyLandMomma
01-19-2009, 06:07 PM
For me, the worse part of the procedure was the anticipation. Having my teeth cleaned bothers me more than having the root canal. You will be fine and I agree with what everyone else has said about the pain relievers.

Good luck!

PirateLover
01-19-2009, 06:15 PM
You are not alone! I just found out on Weds that I need a root canal as well and I was really scared at first. I'm only 23 and I've always taken great care of my teeth. Apparently my last dentist put a tooth colored filling on a deep cavity which isn't recommended and the cavity only grew deeper. I don't remember all the details because I had "root canal" echoing through my head the entire time. He did show me the x-ray and explained the procedure though. From what I've heard, it's a very person to person experience. For example, my mom was fine, my dad was miserable. When are you getting yours done? Mine is scheduled for the 30th.

Melanie
01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Good luck, Meg! My husband had one a few weeks ago, and like a previous poster said, he was just sore a few days after. :thumbsup:

jennbunn
01-19-2009, 10:04 PM
so far i have had three done. like everyone else you will be sore afterwards so use advil. try to eat soft foods. my dentist also tells me to take advil a half hour brfore to help with pain. i am a huge baby and cry when me have to use the novicane. good luck!!!

garymacd
01-19-2009, 10:12 PM
I've had three or four root canals, mostly due to an accident I had some years ago. Concussions can be a...well, you know.

After the freezing went in, I didn't feel a thing except for the movement of the dentist's hands.

Once the freezing wore off, there was very little discomfort at all. I wished I had done it sooner.

Just bring your iPod and listen to some of your favourite music and it will be over before you know it.

Tink2002
01-20-2009, 12:15 AM
I hope you've consulted my mom - you probably know that she just had one recently and her nursiness lends to advice-giving as well.

She seemed to do pretty well with hers, but you know her - "If you're not bleeding or on fire, you're okay." Oh the woes of growing up with a parent in the medical professions.

Hope everything goes well, get some rest after and tell Dave that I said he has to wait on you like a princess, that's an order!:D

TooGoofy
01-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Hi All,
Thanks for all the pixies and words of advice.

Before I went into the office I took ibuprofen and a Vicodin (I figured I had some for the pain...might as well use one!)

They offered me a headset and music while I was there which I took advantage of...if I have to do it again, I may bring one of my Harry Potter audiobooks on CD. As most people mentioned, it was really no worse than a filling...but it lasted for an hour and a half! The tooth was necrotic though, so it was a really good thing I had it done.

Now my jaw and that side of my face is sore, but I am taking ibuprofen and resting up.

Thanks, Intercotees!

laprana
01-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Glad to hear it all went well! :thumbsup:

mrsgaribaldi
01-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Now my jaw and that side of my face is sore, but I am taking ibuprofen and resting up.

Thanks, Intercotees!

That didn't last long for me, I hope it's like that for you too. Just don't chew on that side. More :pixie::pixie::pixie:on the way.