PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering...

luvmyboys4ever
01-18-2009, 09:19 PM
I just want to know what people think about this situation and what they would do. That being said...

Here's a tricky one. Say, you are going to get your kids a picture with Buzz & Woody, and there's no line. As you enter, a small family of 3 gets there right before you...no issue yet. Now, let's say they proceed to take pictures at every cut-out picture stop along the way...we're talking multiple pictures of each. Now, there's nobody in front of them and the characters are just waiting for guests. So, here are my questions:

1-Is it rude to pass?
2-If you do pass, is that line jumping?
3-Is it rude of the people taking pictures to hold up the people behind them?
4-Should the CM watching do anything...like wave for the family behind to come forward?

P.S.--I started this on a different thread, but I didn't know how or if I could move it.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-18-2009, 09:27 PM
You should ask the family if they mind if you go ahead and get your photos/autographs with the characters and if they don't mind....then by all means, move on ahead. But if they say that they mind, then hope that a CM intervines and speeds things up.

MickeyMousse
01-18-2009, 09:28 PM
I'd look towards the CM to see if they wave me and my family on, and if not, I'd pass!!

joanna71985
01-18-2009, 09:47 PM
I'd look towards the CM to see if they wave me and my family on, and if not, I'd pass!!

The way it's set up, the CMs can't see the guests in the queue line.

dteed
01-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Just pass but be nice if they protest. I would say, " We are just going to scoot on by if you don't mind, have dinner reservations to get to."

luvmyboys4ever
01-18-2009, 10:04 PM
The way it's set up, the CMs can't see the guests in the queue line.

I can't remember at which part, but toward the end, it was visible to the CM. They might have come down or peeked around the corner or something like that. But, CM did see what was going on at a certain point. I'm not saying they did anything wrong...just curious as to what other people think.

WDW5150
01-18-2009, 10:23 PM
I have actually had a situation like this at MGM. We were walking up the wide walkway leading to Star Tours. There was a family that was stoppingto take pictures of the Robots ect.. I just I just caght the Dad's eye and pointed further up. He just kind of waved like go ahead.
I will say that there was NO ONE else loading. I do not know what I would have done if there had been lots of people trying to load. I guess if there were people behind me pushing past me because I was waiting I would probably jump them. I would assume at that point that if they had a problem with it, they would start moving. If not, I guess it would be their choice to stay and take pics and let others past.

Not sure what I would do at a character meeting.
Now my DD at age 3 did skip an entire line of people once-I was mortified and made her get at the end of the line. We were meeting Mary Poppins at the hat at MGM she just walked straight over to the penguin right next to her not know that she had to get back in line.

DisneyGlutton
01-18-2009, 10:53 PM
As to whether it was rude of the family to take as many pics as they wanted, I would say emphatically no. For all you know, that was the highlight of their trip and they are under no obligation to hurry along for you. However, it would've been proper of them to wave you past, and since it doesn't look like they did, then you should've asked (and granted its more of a perfunctory request that they sort of have to say yes to, but still). If they had said no, then idk what to tell you if there was no CM around to help.

ParkMan
01-18-2009, 11:00 PM
I agree with the first response. Politely ask them if you could go around them. If they refuse then politely wait.

I suspect they would be happy to let you go around. They are probably just as stressed that they are holding up the line.

mrmcgiv
01-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Hi my 2 cents

1-Is it rude to pass? I agree with the first post. I would simply ask :hey can we move ahead, we are not taking any pics and heading right up to the characters?" If they say No, I would wait for Cm to intervene or just wait (But I would be a little annoyed theys aid no and held up the line)
2-If you do pass, is that line jumping? Not sure, I think it is rude to pass w/o asking....but if they are the head of the LINE and they have come to a STAND STILL to do something else (pics) with nobody in front of them....then are they really in line? Technically yes, but they have taken a diversion.
3-Is it rude of the people taking pictures to hold up the people behind them? No, not if they are waving people ahead. But if they told pople NO DO NOT PASS and still do not move forward....RUDE!
4-Should the CM watching do anything...like wave for the family behind to come forward? If they could see...absolutely.

luvmyboys4ever
01-18-2009, 11:32 PM
As to whether it was rude of the family to take as many pics as they wanted, I would say emphatically no. For all you know, that was the highlight of their trip and they are under no obligation to hurry along for you. However, it would've been proper of them to wave you past, and since it doesn't look like they did, then you should've asked (and granted its more of a perfunctory request that they sort of have to say yes to, but still). If they had said no, then idk what to tell you if there was no CM around to help.

To an extent yes, by all means take as many pictures as you want...if there's nobody being held up. At what point are too many being taken? If you're alone that's one thing, but if you're holding people up for multiple pictures at multiple stops...

This is what happened. We entered, we stopped at the first stop. We all smiled at each other. After a few pictures my husband made a gesture to move around the back. The women literally jumped in front of him and gave a dirty look. I gave him a look as to say, let it go and he joined us behind them. They then took many pictures at the different stops and I think at one that wasn't meant to be a photo-op, but I guess looked nice to them. The CM saw what was happening and even made a face, like wow are they really doing that? We waited without saying a word and got our picture and left. I'm not saying the CM should have done something, maybe she was just about to when they took their final photo.
I understand all about pictures. I have totes filled with every day of my kids lives...well almost. But, if I'm going to take pictures, then I will wave the people on. I don't want to stop what could be the highlight of their trip with the highlight of mine, just because I got there 2 seconds before them. I personally think it's rude to hold other people up for multiple pictures.
The kicker is...we would have been done with our picture and long gone, by the time they were done with their photo tour :thumbsup:

IamBelle
01-19-2009, 06:51 AM
This kindof thing happened to us when we were taking pictures with the incredibles in the magic of disney animation place, only there was a long line. The family in fron of us took like 3 pictures of each person in their family with the same character. We waited patiently next in line, and the CM's moved them along.

Tbelle1976
01-19-2009, 08:18 AM
I would have definately asked if I could move along in the line. I guess in the moment I would not imagaine they would have said "no". However, if they did in fact tell me "no", I would have also asked politely how much longer they think they would be. Maybe just try to stress some sort of urgency in a polite way.

WDW is one place where I try to understand some of the "goofy" things that people do. I myself am an extreme picture taker (I would NEVER hold up a line for it though!), and DH has had to tell me before to move out of someones way. I have always apologized though. Many time you just get caught up in the moment. :mickey:

tyandskyesmom
01-19-2009, 01:27 PM
My take...

I believe the whole line area to see Buzz and Woody was set up and meant to be a photo zone...it is meant that you stop to take pictures along the way. There are cut outs to pose with and foot prints for the photographer to stand on. We went in and took pictures in all the stops. The family in front of us did too. the difference was that they took 37 million pictues of everyone together, all the kids, all the boys, all the girls, each family together and so on and so on...and then stayed in the picture area when they were done rather than moving into the space beyond so tha tth next family could get the pictures going.

That being said...I did not have a problem with them stopping at all of them but a little common sense and courtesy for others around them would have been nice. We took our pictures and got out of the way...even when we could not get to the next picture because the other family was still standing in the area we got out of the way for the next family to take theirs. Had we not cared about getting all the fun photo ops on film that were offered, I would have passed them and not worried about what they thought. I do not think that is line jumping in that case (and I have been very vocal in actual line jumping posts against it!) because they chose to spend 37 million years in one spot. And yes, there was a huge space between them and the people in front of them. I figure they chose to make those pictures a part of their trip (as did I, just ot for as long) and if that is the case, the rest of us do not need to wait around them.

kathiep
01-19-2009, 04:24 PM
I think it's just common courtesy. If they wanted to stop at each spot to take pictures and saw that you were clearly simply waiting, they should have waved you on.

Daisy'sMom
01-19-2009, 06:34 PM
That happened to us in line for Haunted Mansion. We asked if they minded since they were taking photos every second and the woman screamed at us. She had so much rage, you had to feel sorry for her and her family. :ill:

PirateLover
01-19-2009, 08:42 PM
This reminds me of miniature golf etiquette. If you have a large party that is taking a long time on each hole, it is common courtesy to let a smaller party (usually a couple) pass ahead if they are continually waiting for them to finish. I cannot believe they flashed you a dirty look! by the sound of it you probably would've been through the line and done by the time they got to the characters.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Just pass but be nice if they protest. I would say, " We are just going to scoot on by if you don't mind, have dinner reservations to get to."

I love you forever for that comment.

However, that is how the location is set up. It's designed to be an interactive queue area. I can tell you that during peak times, those are used and no one notices because there actually is a line and not a passing area. If someone in front of you is going slower, just ask them in a polite manner if they don't mind. If they don't, then pass, if they do then wait. Or pass anyways. Some people save every penny to come to WDW and all they take home from the parks as physical souveiners are photos and free stickers and buttons.

luvmyboys4ever
01-20-2009, 01:39 AM
This reminds me of miniature golf etiquette. If you have a large party that is taking a long time on each hole, it is common courtesy to let a smaller party (usually a couple) pass ahead if they are continually waiting for them to finish. I cannot believe they flashed you a dirty look! by the sound of it you probably would've been through the line and done by the time they got to the characters.

:ditto: on the golf.

That's right, we would have. If there were other people at the front of the line, then by all means snap away, because we are just going to wait anyway...it doesn't matter if it's 10 feet back or cramped together...we're still waitng. But, if there's not one person waiting, why would you want to hold people up on purpose? Again, I feel it's people thinking they are more important then everyone else. If you get caught up in the moment and have no idea anyone else is around, sure it happens. But, when you know you're doing it...it's just rude. At what point does a few snaps turn into a personal photo shoot?

mrsgaribaldi
01-20-2009, 05:15 AM
I've never been in these lines but I have been in lines like the one going to the Tree of Life. If you stop to take pictures, I'm going around you. I wouldn't expect people to wait for me while I took pics. If the line is real tight, I guess you would wait. But when people start stopping to take pics and there's no one in front of them, I walk around. I would expect people to pass me too.

SBETigg
01-20-2009, 08:28 AM
I think you were fine and well within polite guidelines to go around this group. Perhaps it would have been nice to ask if they minded, but I don't think it was necessary. If I was enjoying my progress and slowly taking it all in, I would have waved you on and I wouldn't have minded you going on around my party.

DDuck66
01-20-2009, 10:11 AM
We are the usually the party that is slowing the line down with pictures, but we have our own procedure. DW is usually the one taking numerous pictures and I have crowd control duty. I make sure that everyone that is in a hurry, can go around us. When DW is finished up we move back into the line and had up into the queue. Never had a problem with people being understanding. I have also gone back through the queue just taking pics and letting everyone around us know that we are not going to the main attraction or character stop.

4ubie1
01-20-2009, 10:31 AM
I would have asked if the other family minded terribly if your family moved on ahead. I would just explain that they are not interested in photos with the cut-outs, just the characters. If they did mind, then just wait and see if a CM steps in or moves the other family along. Most situations I have run into, the other family usually waves us on or says they don't mind. Tough one though!:confused: