PDA

View Full Version : Mama Melrose - Good?

BrerStitch
01-18-2009, 02:49 PM
The DH & I along with the in-laws are thinking of trying Mama Melrose in December. If you've eaten there, what do you think?

maxrebo77
01-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Had an unplanned lunch there last Sept. Hadn't been there in at least 2-3 years and they were just opening up when I was walking by. I was on the DDP, but no ADR. After few minutes of checking ressies they zipped me right in. (i'm sure they thought a table of one would turn over quickly, though I was never meant to feel that way)
Chicken Bruschetta was very good. Dessert (cheesecake I think) was fine. Italian beer (Moretti's?) great. Service Very polite. Also I think this is a place where any size or type of group would feel comfortable.
I would go there again.

disneydeb
01-18-2009, 04:00 PM
We've enjoyed a Fantasmic Dinner Package there a year ago. I would go back if I had the need for another Fantasmic dinner package.
Steak - good and creme brulee (I think)good.

Briansmom
01-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Well, I must tell you....we had an ADR for Mama Melrose last May and when we arrived, we were seated very quickly. However, my son has autism and the music there was too much for him to handle (he was tired and hungry and that is not a good combination with a typical child let alone a special needs child)...The music was not really loud nor obnoxious. (It is kind of like Dean Martin/Frank Sinatra type music). No amount of coaxing could dissuade his meltdown and my husband got very upset with the manager (even tho it was not her fault), because she told him that all music came from Imagineering and could not be turned off at the individual restaurants. (my husband had a hard time believing that but I dont, knowing how Disney is about details). She felt so badly for us that she followed us outside when we left and told us that even though it was not their policy, she offered for us to have a take out meal, whatever we wanted, appetizer AND dessert. (we were on the middle DDP so both were not included). They proceeded to bring all our food out to the patio/courtyard outside of Pizza Planet and made sure we had everything we needed (she even sent REAL silverware...lol!) She even had a cast member from Pizza Planet come out about halfway through our meal to check on us and to give my son a mug from Pizza Planet. If you don't call this over and above....I don't know what is. And on top of it...the food was delicious even if it was 'carry out'!!
So, to answer your question.....yummy, yummy.....you will enjoy it!:number1:

markyv
01-18-2009, 04:42 PM
My family has eaten at mama melrose several times. We have always found the food to be very good. I think you will enjoy this restaurant if you like Italian food.

Celakip
01-18-2009, 04:47 PM
We always eat at Mama Melrose; it's one of our favorites. Not necessarily because of the food, although it is good. The real reason we like it is that, of all the restaurants in the parks, it is the most like a "regular" restaurant that you would find anywhere. It's very quiet and cozy.

Bringonthemouse!
01-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Myself and DD16 ate there for the first time last Nov. and we loved it so much we cancelled an adr at 50's so we could eat there again!

Natazu
01-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Mama Melrose's (Table Service) ☺☺☻
For flatbread and dessert, Mama’s is fine. The prices are acceptable and there’s rarely a long wait. If you’re looking for a great Italian dinner, this probably isn’t the place. The menu isn’t very diverse and very little of it is fresh. The staff has admitted to me that they are more concerned with getting people fed and back out to the park than providing a true dining experience. Mama Melrose’s is a stereotypical theme park sit-down eatery.

ElenitaB
01-18-2009, 09:43 PM
After our first trip to MM many moons ago, I was persuaded by a group of friends to go there again. What a difference a few years made. I found my entree to be very good (tuna over grilled veggies). It wasn't something that I'd find on the menu of any of our local (highly rated) Italian restaurants here in Brooklyn (we do Italian in a big way here). Their versions of what you will find on our local menus were also quite good (based on the samples we shared with each other).

Everyone at the table agreed that their food was very tasty, and it's another restaurant that has worked its way back onto to our "visit again" list.

RedSoxFan
01-18-2009, 10:24 PM
We've eaten at Mama Melrose on our last two trips . Both times we enjoyed our meal. Very good service and the food was delicious. I would definitely eat there again.

Dragongirlx
01-19-2009, 04:14 AM
My sister and I have eaten ther a few times and we have always had a brilliant time.
If you are having a starter get the calamari it is beautiful the best I have ever had.
I also highly recommend the chicken brushetta.:D

Maleficent's Dad
01-19-2009, 06:21 AM
We don't love it, but don't hate it either...
DW & I can take it or leave it. The food is fine, service has been good, but it's "forgetable."

My kids on the other hand, think it's great. Not sure why! :scratch:
They love the fact that we can go to Fantasmic! afterwards (with the package) and they get to eat lots of pasta. DD loves the chicken parmigiana... Not sure what I'm missing here!

It's a theme park eatery - pure and simple. It's decent, safe. DS has chosen it for his birthday dinner in February! :party:

jensantuit
01-19-2009, 06:36 AM
We ate at MM back in September 07 with friends. I personally wasn't crazy about my meal, but everyone else's meal was good. Would I go back and try it again, yes especially if it was part of the fantasmic package.

Cheloconnell
01-19-2009, 08:13 AM
We go to Mama Melrose every trip. We were last there in December 08 and the food was very good. Out of all of the restaurants in the HS park, this one is the best. We have never had a bad meal here. I highly recommend it if you will be in the park :thumbsup:

VWL Mom
01-19-2009, 08:57 AM
We started at MM 2 years ago and will definitely return on our next trip. As a pp said, the Calamari is awesome. They mix a few hot cherry pepper slices in the dish for an added zip. Also offer an Eggplant Napoleon which is very good.

pianobabe
01-19-2009, 09:51 AM
DH and I went last year using the Fantasmic package. It was a wonerful meal. We really enjoyed it and I hope to book the same package again for this year.

dolphinmickey9170
01-19-2009, 11:54 AM
We have never had a bad time at Mama's. One time, we sat down, perused the menu, but nothing caught our attention. So I mentioned this to our server. She asked us what we were in the mood for. We gave it a little thought and told her, grilled chicken, angel hair pasta and and alfredo type sauce. She went back to the kitchen and in a minute or two returned with an affirmation from the chef----no problem!! It was a great meal with excellent service. Another time we have been our server had our table of 15, she never wrote anything down, yet remembered everything...every little detail, request and question. Her name was Holly and she had short blonde hair. She was awesome. And of course, so was the food!!

disneychick62
01-19-2009, 12:21 PM
We ate there a few years ago and never went back... could be better now. But i dont like italian food from a can. Thats what it tasted like...:ack:

Jasper
01-19-2009, 12:30 PM
We always try to get to MM as many others do and have always liked it. The service and food have always been acceptable and as others have said the atmosphere is just very comfortable.

Polynesian Dweller
01-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Add us to those who enjoy Mama Melrose. The food is good and we will return.

tyandskyesmom
01-19-2009, 04:13 PM
On our very first trip to the World with a child (about 8 years ago now) we went to MM and hated it. I cannot for the life of me remember why though. Two trips ago the kids and I were on the deluxe dining plan and needed more places to eat. I decided to give it another try. We loved it and returned on our last trip too and were just as pleased. I think MM has been on an up swing because the reviews around here are getting better in general!

Goes4FastPass
01-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Mama Melrose is not 1% better than a dozen Italian restaurants near where I live and not a lot worse. If it were near me I'd never go there...

but,

Mama Melrose is DHS and it the very best Itailian restaurant in all of DHS!

big blue and hairy
01-20-2009, 03:16 PM
I am very glad to hear recent good reviews of Mama Melrose's. I always loved going to this restaurant, but at one point the food had gone pretty badly downhill. I hope these responses mean they have fixed that problem. I've never had a problem with the servixce at MM.
She felt so badly for us that she followed us outside when we left and told us that even though it was not their policy, she offered for us to have a take out meal, whatever we wanted, appetizer AND dessert. (we were on the middle DDP so both were not included). They proceeded to bring all our food out to the patio/courtyard outside of Pizza Planet and made sure we had everything we needed (she even sent REAL silverware...lol!) She even had a cast member from Pizza Planet come out about halfway through our meal to check on us and to give my son a mug from Pizza Planet. If you don't call this over and above....I don't know what is. And on top of it...the food was delicious even if it was 'carry out'!!
So, to answer your question.....yummy, yummy.....you will enjoy it!:number1:That's terrific! That's what I think of when I think of Disney service. My story from there isn't as impressive, but it also shows that Disney's best go out of their way for the customer. I called a few years back and asked if they served Michelob Ultra. I was put on hold. A manager picked up the phone and said that no they didn't serve Mich Ultra, but 50's Primetime did and they would be happy to be sure to get me some. He took my name, date I would be there and noted the request. When DW and I sat down for our meal I mentioned Mich Ultra, the server said, oh yes, we have your Mich Ultra in the cooler, you called about it, right? That's Disney service.

:sulley:

okw2006
01-20-2009, 04:02 PM
We have eaten there twice and it was very good both times. Try it!

kemps@wdw
01-20-2009, 10:24 PM
I can't say anything bad about Mama's. Our dining experience there was just fine. Hardly any wait, very attentive staff, good food and cozy atmosphere. Not necessarily a must-do for us on every trip, but would go there again. :thumbsup:

jcvalenti
01-27-2009, 03:25 PM
We have never had a bad time at Mama's. One time, we sat down, perused the menu, but nothing caught our attention. So I mentioned this to our server. She asked us what we were in the mood for. We gave it a little thought and told her, grilled chicken, angel hair pasta and and alfredo type sauce. She went back to the kitchen and in a minute or two returned with an affirmation from the chef----no problem!! It was a great meal with excellent service. Another time we have been our server had our table of 15, she never wrote anything down, yet remembered everything...every little detail, request and question. Her name was Holly and she had short blonde hair. She was awesome. And of course, so was the food!!

I saw this note and had to register, just so I could comment. We were at Disney last June with a crazy party of 20, including a bunch of under-10 kids. We decided to try Mama Melrose's for the first time, and man was I glad we did. We also had Holly as a waitress and she was absolutely phenomenal. She managed the entire group by herself, and didn't miss a beat. She was funny, quick, and completely gracious. Best service I've had from anyone at any level of restaurant at WDW in my life, and I've been there for about 55 days in the last 5 years. She's an absolute all star. She even convinced me to try a dessert wine I never thought I'd like ... and it was excellent !

As for Mama Melrose's itself, I thought it was great. I'm a huge Italian food fan and make no mistake - this place is more Olive Garden than Il Mulino (the real one in NYC, not the Swan version) ... but it does what it does very well. Tasty, crowd pleasing dishes with a diverse enough menu to please everyone, and a fun, inviting atmosphere. MM catapulted to a "must visit" for our group, and we've already got ADRs to return this June. Hopefully we'll get Holly again !

AdventurerKim
01-27-2009, 03:45 PM
We always go to Mama's for lunch on November trips and have always had good meals and service there. :thumbsup:

KylesMom
01-27-2009, 03:54 PM
It pleases me to no end to read so many good responses about Mama Melrose. It's been one of my family's favorite TS eateries for many years, and it has always discouraged me that so many Intercotee's were getting sub-par service or food - or both. We love Mama Melrose & will be returning several times in June of this year, including Father's Day dinner for DH. I actually completed a guest service card for our server on 7/26 - the service was that outstanding. It was followed a few nights later with another great meal and fabulous service by a different CM. I hope you give it a try! DH usually orders the Calmari and Hot Sausage/Pepper Dish, I usually order the Tomato Stack and Butcher Steak, and DS loves the Artisan Breads & Spreads and the Peperoni Flatbread.

I almost forgot - TRY THE SANGRIA, it's outstanding!