PDA

View Full Version : WDW for the visually impaired

rcaide
01-18-2009, 10:35 AM
I became legally blind in March of 2008. I made my 1st trip to the world in 1972 and have been there at least 25 times since then. This past Dec. was my 1st trip since I have become visually impaired. It was really eye-opening to me to try and navigate the parks with my cane. The 1st and most major problem that I encountered was the lack of assistance with the bus transportation. I was traveling with my sister, so I had help, but I quickly learned that there was no way for me to take a bus without her help. I could not believe that a blind person could not enter a bus through the handicapped line. When we 1st arrived, I tried it on several occasions but the driver would ignore me and open the doors to everyone else 1st. I am not sure if they even realize how difficult it is for a blind person to navigate through a bus and not trip over feet and children or strollers, bags etc. I stopped at guest services at the park and was given a pass that let me sit in the front row of shows, etc. This was very helpful but they said there was nothing they could do about the bus drivers. Since this disability is new to me, I am not sure how to handle it. I am still learning how to do things for myself. At age 47, it is very difficult for me to be reliant on others. I have been taking care of myself for a long time and my loss of independence is very frustrating. I am lucky because I do see colors and light and shadows. However, I cannot see the ground which makes getting through a bus full of people very difficult.

I have a whole new empathy for those who are truly black blind who are trying to make their way through the parks. People were very rude. Stepping in front of me, knocking into me. Teenagers made loud comments about my blindness. I am not the type of person who likes to make waves. I guess I should have gone to guest relations at the resort and asked for assistance but my sister and I just did the best we could. Sometimes we encountered nice people who offered me a seat on the bus or made sure to pull their children out of the way of my cane.

I called the disability number when I returned home just to let them know about the bus issue. They told me that they called one of the resorts and were told that what I should have done was found a WDW employee each time I wanted to get on the bus and have them go tell the bus driver to let me on 1st. I could see how that would go over when the parks are closing and multitudes of folks are waiting for buses.

My husband was outraged by the whole situation. When I called and told him that I was not able to board the bus from the handicapped lane, he exploded. His 1st thought was what if you fall? Or worse hurt someone's child that you cannot see? He felt that it was a safety issue not only for me but for others. We are supposed to be going to WDW in June for our 20th anniversary. I am afraid with even bigger crowds it will be even worse.

OK, sorry I had such a long vent. I am hoping there is someone out there with some words of wisdom for me. Like I said, I am new to this. Does anyone have some sage advice? I appreciate any help you can give.

LibertyTreeGal
01-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Wow, this is truly shocking to me! Have you ever read the Passporter Guide to WDW? They have one whole book that is all about travelling to the world with disabilities. I can't believe this has not come up before and perhaps not all guest relations folks are probably aquainted with it. It would be my guess that guests almost never travel without someone right there with them. But I would check and see what that book has to say -- they know all the secrets. :mickey:

drhama
01-18-2009, 07:15 PM
I hear you on this one. Making my 2nd trip with my mom in 2 weeks. She is now almost totally blind. Just a few spots of light.
Guests can be rude and inconsiderate. Mom's cane was knocked out of her hands several times and not just by kids.
CM's were very good about giving us the time we needed to load for the rides.
The bus is a problem. We are renting a car this time.
Mom has been legally blind for almost 40 years now. So many improvements in access in the last several years. Unfortunately, the bulk of improvements seem to be focused on wheel chairs. The one that got me the most was the WC friendly phone booths several years back. Box on a pole to allow the chair under the box. Just think if you are walking along with your cane feeling for obstacles. The way you would notice the phone booth would be when you hit it with your face because you would not have felt the pole with your cane yet. They did later add chains to the corners of the boxes.
One improvement that make traveling with mom much nicer is, the companion restrooms. When you have to feel your way around, restrooms can be, let's just say, challenging. Much more pleasant when a helper can guide you to your destination without you having to put your hands on it.
Voice your concerns and get involved with disability organizations in your area. More awareness is what we need.
It does takes time. Hang in there.