PDA

View Full Version : Reactions from Strangers

jonahbear2006
01-17-2009, 09:38 PM
When eating dinner out tonight, we were talking to our waitress about our trips and informing her of the great deals Disney has to offer for families, including the campground. A woman at another table overheard and asked where we were going for our anniversary. We said, DISNEY WORLD! She said, "without the kids??" To which I replied, " Sure, well they go about 2x a yr now anyways!" The look on her face was priceless. She gave me the dirtiest look then scowled in the other direction. When she walked away my husband and I just laughed. It is so silly what some people think about us Disney Nuts. I imagine the 1st thing she must have thought was, wonder what they do for a living and the 2nd must have been, boy their kids are spoiled brats; neither of which are true of us. We don't make lots of money and we have very well behaved kids. Disney just happens to be our true home, at heart.

betteratmk
01-17-2009, 09:51 PM
:DPeople are priceless aren't they!! People think we are crazy too, we've been down once a year since our youngest was 4. All the time people ask "when are you going to go on a real vacation" Keep in mind Disney is not the only place we go but it is the biggest vacation we take. Spring is the only time we are able to get away for a week, and frankly we love it:number1:

buzznwoodysmom
01-17-2009, 10:27 PM
We are lucky in that most of our family, close friends and many of our kids friends at school go to WDW about once a year as well. So we never get the "look or questions" from them. However, it always surprises me how complete strangers, like in OP's case, feel the need to concern themselves with another family's vacation choices. To be completely honest, where other people go on their family vacations is the least of my concerns. Its none of my business and I just don't care. I don't know why that concept seems to be so difficult for some people to get. Good for you and your DH for laughing it off.

jonahbear2006
01-17-2009, 11:23 PM
We have a few dvc members who are close to us and most of the families at the ballet studio take their families to disney yearly. I know a lot of people around me who go a lot, as well, and both sides of my family took their kids a lot when they were little babes. I just can't see not taking them. Childhood is so priceless. You are given only a few minutes in your life to watch your children sparkle and believe the impossible and then it is over. Why not spend a little money helping them enjoy a world where they feel like their dreams are true and truly believe, esp. since we throw away similar amounts of money to power bills, water, garbage, etc... and never reap a memorable benefit.

dmosher
01-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Honestly I think it is just a lack of understanding. When I met DW, she made fun of me to no end about being the Disney nut that I am. 1 year later she decided we should go there for my birthday (a sweet gift). WHen we got back I could tell that she "got it" and when we got engaged it was her idea to honeymoon there. Here it is years later and it was now her idea to buy into the DVC. So I think people just need to be shown what is so magical about DIsney with or without kids. Of course some people will never get it, which is good, saves us waiting in longer lines next time!
:pipes:
D

teambricker04
01-18-2009, 12:20 AM
This is a topic of my DH and I more often than not!!! We just got back (yesterday!) and on the return flight were a bunch of retirees that did not like having small children on the flight. That's right... we were coming from MCO. You know, the closest airport to WDW! Any hoo... We have two sons who fly a lot and know how to behave on a flight. They generally don't make a peep yet people needed to be mean and try to be sassy... one man was actually trying to STARE ME DOWN! It doesn't matter to me what people choose to do on their own free time with their own money, why should it concern others??

Good for you for laughing it off!!! I agree... until you have been, you just don't get it!

Tink#64
01-18-2009, 01:24 AM
We are lucky in that most of our family, close friends and many of our kids friends at school go to WDW about once a year as well. So we never get the "look or questions" from them. However, it always surprises me how complete strangers, like in OP's case, feel the need to concern themselves with another family's vacation choices. To be completely honest, where other people go on their family vacations is the least of my concerns. Its none of my business and I just don't care. I don't know why that concept seems to be so difficult for some people to get. Good for you and your DH for laughing it off.

:exactly: These people are, IMHO, completely rude & totally uncouth! It drives me insane, how many people that I know, from work, DS's school, friends etc, that feel the need to make derogatory remarks about our family vacation! AS if! It's not like I'm asking them for their opinion, their money or their vacation time! It's mine, I paid for it, planned it & will love t! Too bad these people don't follow Thumper's momma's rule - "If you can't say somethin nice - don't say nuthin at all"! :D

All the while I'm listening to these people, I'm thinking you don't get it & I'm sorry that you don't, but it's our happy place & I just smile & say we just love it! :mickey: I know that I can't change these peoples minds, nor do I care to, it's just irritating that they feel justified in making thoughtless comments about what we find purley magical! :tink:

Marceline
01-18-2009, 01:44 AM
Awww, they're all just jealous. They done got growed up and forgot their hearts.:shake:

Not me....I shall always return to Never-neverland.:tink::cloud9:

jonahbear2006
01-18-2009, 03:50 AM
awh I love thumper's mama!

pianobabe
01-18-2009, 07:41 AM
What I get most of all is people (especially at work) saying things like "aren't you tired of going there yet?" My response is nope. I then tell them after all the trips I have made, I have yet to do everything WDW has to offer. Then they say "well, isn't it just a kids place?" Again I tell them nope and DH and I have made our past four trips just the two of us and left DS-17 at home. DH and I enjoy going to WDW. For us it is fun. People don't get it.

sassafras
01-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Your're right--people just don't get it. My DH and I go at least once if not twice a year. We find it relaxing and when I tell people that, they look at me like I'm nuts! We used to drop our 2 sons at their respective colleges in the fall and then within a week, fly off to DW by ourselves! Call us crazy, but we're already planning our next trip on the flight home!

disneyholic2
01-18-2009, 09:01 AM
:mickey:I too agree with everybody. Both my DW and I live in Kitchener Ont Canada, and right now I feel like I am at the North Pole...Disney can't come soon enough. Both my DW and DS love going to Disney, and have been going since our DS was 2. We went a couple of years with friends, but they just didn't get it, Too Bad. Our next trip is in Sept, we are already booked.:party: And I am a third of the way to the financial target. I agree that people don't get it, I hear it at work, with friends, even family. Sad really.:mickey:

pdrlkr
01-18-2009, 09:20 AM
It drives me insane, how many people that I know, from work, DS's school, friends etc, that feel the need to make derogatory remarks about our family vacation! AS if! It's not like I'm asking them for their opinion, their money or their vacation time! It's mine, I paid for it, planned it & will love t! Too bad these people don't follow Thumper's momma's rule - "If you can't say somethin nice - don't say nuthin at all"! :D

:ditto:

beksy
01-18-2009, 09:35 AM
It's strange but my Dad is one of those people now, yet when I was growing up we went at least once a year for about five years (and then his attitude changed. He got bored with WDW! :confused:). Now that I'm going on vacation with my sister and we're both Disney nuts, we are always planning the next trip to Disney and Dad doesn't understand why we would want to go as much as we do. When I was growing up we went so much that people would tease him at work that no matter where he was headed he would end up in FL (we always drove). Then on a trip planned for Nashville with my aunt we were telling her about Disney on the drive. The next morning we woke up to the news that Mom and Dad canceled our Nashville plans and booked a room in Orlando to show my aunt what it was all about! Talk about a dream come true. :cloud9: Of course that meant that what the people at work were saying actually came true!

buzznwoodysmom
01-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Another thing I don't get is many of these people probably go on the same vacation year after year after year. When I worked at a hospital one girl would always give me a hard time about our many trips to WDW. I would just tell her it was none of her business, blah, blah, blah. One day she was talking about her vacation to the beach. She was going on and on about how her family has been going to the same beach, renting the same beach house for as long as she can remeber. I was like, WHAT? As much greif as she had given me and she was doing the same thing, just different place. For them its not about going on the same vacation over and over, its something they have against WDW.

Itchy
01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Its my take on this topic that most of the people that I talk to that have negative opinons about DW probably have never been there.

The bottom line is unless you have been there don't put other people down for having gone and are continuing to go.

Its there life and money and just a'nt any of their business.

This is the best place that I have found to have fun, relax, and just let go by leaving work and home behind.

Viva La Disney:mickey:

Iluvpooh
01-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Honestly I think it is just a lack of understanding. When I met DW, she made fun of me to no end about being the Disney nut that I am. 1 year later she decided we should go there for my birthday (a sweet gift). WHen we got back I could tell that she "got it" and when we got engaged it was her idea to honeymoon there. Here it is years later and it was now her idea to buy into the DVC. So I think people just need to be shown what is so magical about DIsney with or without kids. Of course some people will never get it, which is good, saves us waiting in longer lines next time!
:pipes:
D
OMG_ I do not think I have ever heard a story almost exactly like mine!!
My DH was a Disney hater-he used to say that Christopher Robin was(insert horrible reference here) and the Minnie was Mickey in drag.(I kid you not) Anyway, I was cheerleader coach and our squad had the chance to be part of the Capital One bowl and march in the parade at WDW. I drug him down ther with me.
(kicking & screaming might I add)
I gave Pooh a hug at MGM and cried and he "just got it" we married a year later and honeymooned -where else but WDW. We go back every year-sometimes with our beautiful girls and sometimes without.(Hey-Mom and Dad need some time too)
We rented points at OKW last year, and in a few weeks we have an appointment to tour AK villas and CR villas.

Sorry-to the OP-We take lots of junk from "non-Disney people" who just do not get it.
Do not let it bother you. I like to think there are 2 types of people in the world.
Disney people and Non-Disney People.
Have a great trip.:thumbsup:

kemps@wdw
01-20-2009, 11:07 PM
We've gotten that same reaction from others as well when they hear us talk...no...RAVE about going to WDW! When I talk to a "muggle" (non-magical folk) about WDW, my eyes glaze over, my heart races,(sounds like symptoms of some dreaded disease doesn't it?) and I can retrace EVERY step of EVERY trip! (is that too freaky?) And obviously, anniversaries are a fave time for us to visit the World! In fact, we'll be there in Oct '09 for our 30th! So, rave on fellow Disneyphile, and pity those who simply "don't get it!":D

IamBelle
01-24-2009, 08:19 AM
The look on her face was priceless. She gave me the dirtiest look then scowled in the other direction.

Maybe people like that are the crazy ones!! :):mickey:

mouseketeer mom
01-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Awww, they're all just jealous. They done got growed up and forgot their hearts.:shake:

Not me....I shall always return to Never-neverland.:tink::cloud9:

Me too. You said it well.:cloud9:
I have to admit though, I am bothered by the eye rolling and head shaking, and I do have a hard time laughing it off when I get the attitude and judgement from people about my love of WDW.

luvDaMouse
01-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tink#64
It drives me insane, how many people that I know, from work, DS's school, friends etc, that feel the need to make derogatory remarks about our family vacation! AS if! It's not like I'm asking them for their opinion, their money or their vacation time! It's mine, I paid for it, planned it & will love t!

:mickey: I can't agree more! I hate to have to defend my happy place on a regular basis:bang:. I remember reading a post sometime ago that said " when you start paying for my vacations you can have a say in where I go" or something to that affect. I do get tired now and then of all the opinions on why I want to vacation every year in Disney! Thats why Intercot is such a wonderful place filled with people who "get it"
Thanks to you all....:thumbsup::rocks::grouphug:

EeyoresBestFriend
01-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Disneyphile here! I tell them that it's no different than them going to Hawaii every year and sometimes they get it. :shake:
But DH and I are running into a new problem now. As we keep discovering new places to eat ~ mostly from the threads here ~ we are becoming hard pressed to have time to get to them all in our trips.
So now we find that we are having to go longer the more often we go. Go Figure!:laughing:
Zebradomes . . . need I say more?!:cloud9:

MickeyMousse
01-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Some people just don't get it. Which is fine, just means more room for us when we go!!!!

Hayden's Dad
01-25-2009, 09:44 AM
We now have to hide it from our families. :blush: The parents (both sides) jsut don't understand. Especially now that it's just Eva and I they really don't understand. We are planning three trips this year. Two quick long weekend trips that we won't tell anyone about until right before or after we come back. Our third one is our long one in November and we will tell everyone then, they still won't understand since we went twice last year.

It's our money we can decide how we want to spend it. I mean we went to the beach for a quick weekend trip a couple of weeks ago and came back with nothing but seashells and Disney stuff :D

mouseketeer mom
01-25-2009, 01:23 PM
We now have to hide it from our families. :blush: The parents (both sides) jsut don't understand. Especially now that it's just Eva and I they really don't understand. We are planning three trips this year. Two quick long weekend trips that we won't tell anyone about until right before or after we come back. Our third one is our long one in November and we will tell everyone then, they still won't understand since we went twice last year.

It's our money we can decide how we want to spend it. I mean we went to the beach for a quick weekend trip a couple of weeks ago and came back with nothing but seashells and Disney stuff :D

Hayden's Dad- I had to laugh when I read your post. We "hide" our trips in different ways..like we will spin it into a business trip that we all tagged along on- for my DH's side of the family..when actually there is no business involved at all!! Its just that the grief my DH has to go thru with them sometimes just isn't worth the complete truth. Its too bad thats the way it is...

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-25-2009, 09:51 PM
I think it's because people are jealous because they think they can't afford to go to Disney. Well, we won't tell them any money saving tips and that way they won't crowd up the lines and we won't have to wait, at least not any longer than we already do. And especially don't tell them about Fast Passes!!

Hayden's Dad
01-26-2009, 12:34 PM
I think it's because people are jealous because they think they can't afford to go to Disney. Well, we won't tell them any money saving tips and that way they won't crowd up the lines and we won't have to wait, at least not any longer than we already do. And especially don't tell them about Fast Passes!!

LOL :funny::rotfl: I agree

Stich8818
01-27-2009, 02:58 PM
As getting those reactions also.. My family understands my love of Disney...esp since my brother worked there and loves it..thus rubbing off on me. My wife and I are always trying to talk her mother and father into going with us...No Dice...you know we even play the granddaughter card too.."Well you know it would mean a lot to your grand daughter if you could go". Cause we know they would have fun there. The father I know would go its the mother thats the issue...the last time they were there...before the studios...and I think even before Eisner...

But I feel everyone else's pain on the issue at hand..I guess some people ..just dont get it..

dtootsie42
01-31-2009, 03:50 PM
What I get most of all is people (especially at work) saying things like "aren't you tired of going there yet?" My response is nope. I then tell them after all the trips I have made, I have yet to do everything WDW has to offer. Then they say "well, isn't it just a kids place?" Again I tell them nope and DH and I have made our past four trips just the two of us and left DS-17 at home. DH and I enjoy going to WDW. For us it is fun. People don't get it.

This happened to me a lot at my last place of employment. I could take the remarks from my coworkers but it really bugs me when my family makes snide remarks. We go every two years and sometimes we are lucky to squeeze in a short trip to Disneyland. My husband has a very high pressure job and now with the economy it is even crazier...going to Disney is the one place he totally relaxes and for me that is priceless.

Our family lives all over the place, North Dakota, Virginia, Colorado, Michigan and we are way out here in Washington. Sometimes traveling to family is just a pain and then you get there and have to put with family drama. When we get home we need a break from our break. That never happens when we go to Disney.

In the end I've given up trying to explain our love for Disney. We go when we can, enjoy, relax and feel kind of sorry for those who won't even try the magic.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand

drummerboy
02-01-2009, 09:09 PM
No problem from family here. DW and I took our honeymoon at WDW and our kids and grandkids have gone with us. A couple of years ago, my siter and BiL went in with us and treated my mother and step-father to a trip.

So, for the people who can't understand us fanatics and who just love to spend so much time at the beach--what's the big deal? It's just water and sand, right?