PDA

View Full Version : What kind of luggage do you have?

Disdude
01-17-2009, 10:49 AM
My wife and I are in the market for some new luggage. We travel to WDW often but we usually don't check bags. Our family is about to grow a little and we are probably going to end up checking more. Our most immediate need is related to an upcoming trip to Ethiopia that we will be taking. We will probably each be checking 2 bags.

I've been researhing a few luggage sites but I wanted to know if anyone had any first hand experiences they could share. Have you bought some luggage that you now believe you can't live without? Did you get some you wish you could return?

Thanks

sleepingbooty
01-17-2009, 11:52 AM
I know that typically, you get what you pay for, but I've actually had the opposite experience. I bought a very expensive (for me) Samsonite suit bag, and after using only a handful of times, the main hanger that you use to hang it up in the closet - broke in half. Maybe I wasn't supposed to hang it up full (but it takes up the whole bed if you leave in laying out). Anyway, since then, I've bought a few pieces from Marshalls or TJ Maxx that only cost $50 or so apiece. And they've held up wonderfully. Go figure!

ILoveLegos
01-17-2009, 12:58 PM
If you like luggage that has quality rolling mechanics & that's relatively inexpensive and you have a Kohls department store nearby, I'd suggest looking into Riccardo of Beverly Hills "Santa Cruz" (Kohls always has this line consistantly at 50% off the suggested price (compare with ebags though for the best deal) - you can check out the ongoing sale at their website if you want). I've traveled to Orlando 4 times annually with it since 1998. It's as good as or better than my lands' end light house luggage in durability and they even have a lighter weight line called "Santa Cruz Sport". It was very reliable even when being thrown around airports all these years both domestically and internationally - the suitcases still look good too!

PirateLover
01-17-2009, 01:00 PM
We also had issues with Samsonite. Our zippers kept messing up. They fixed it for free but it's still a hassle to take it in to the store and then wait to get it back. My favorite piece of luggage is a hard shell with wheels that spins every which way and is easy to maneuver that I got from Target. Things can get hectic at the airport and you don't want one of those bags that keeps getting stuck or only works well in one direction.

NotaGeek
01-17-2009, 01:53 PM
I swear by Tumi. It's expensive, but stands up great to checking-in and airport mishandling. You can always find reduced price Tumi luggage at Ross, TJ Max, Marshalls etc ... you will be amazed at how good luggage changes how you travel! Co-workers have had great success with Ogio luggage ... we bought carry on suitcases for our traveling employees and they all love them.

Ed
01-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Take a look at TravelPro. Their luggage is used by probably 90% or more of the professional flight crews; you can imagine the kind of wear and tear these folks put on luggage! They are built tough, well designed to allow maximum capacity, have a limited lifetime warranty, and parts that are vulnerable to damage, such as wheels, are easily repaired or replaced. For example, the wheels can be replaced by the owner in about three minutes.

We recently purchased 4 pieces at the TravelPro outlet near WDW. Prices were WAY below retail, and they presently have a "buy one piece, get the second at half price" deal.

pink
01-18-2009, 12:36 PM
My luggage is what MCO provided to me after it looked like the Hulk stabbed and ripped through my suitecase. However, I have to say it has held up for many years.:mickey:

goofy for pluto
01-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Take a look at TravelPro. Their luggage is used by probably 90% or more of the professional flight crews; you can imagine the kind of wear and tear these folks put on luggage! They are built tough, well designed to allow maximum capacity, have a limited lifetime warranty

I bought my DS a Travel Pro Bag and it has held up great.
It is high quality and he has enjoyed using it.

dolphinmickey9170
01-19-2009, 01:33 PM
I have a small "Disney Parks" suitcase and a 3pc set from the Disney shopping website. I love them all!

DizNee143
01-19-2009, 03:30 PM
during the summer i had my bridal shower and my parents got me my samsonite luggage i put on the registery..its the ones with the wheels that go whatever direction...they have gone on our honeymoon with us so far..but it was on a plane then a boat and then back to a plane again..but so far so good...i really like them!!

DVC2004
01-20-2009, 07:52 PM
We travel alot, I don't recall what brand of luggage we had but it has lasted. However hubby just bought some hard sided luggage that is reallly lightwieght. I think it's by Hays.
Haven't used it yet but it swivels. Don't buy the basic black as you'll never recognize it coming down the baggage claim/ I also have 2 designer carry on bags, a rolling trunk and a bag that are awesome but were a small fortune. However as much as I travel I considered it an investment.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-23-2009, 10:39 PM
I like my Sampsonite, it really rolls well and holds up great.

Marceline
01-24-2009, 12:56 AM
I went with the low cost American Tourister set from Wal-Mart for my family. It's held up good to what always looks like a luggage chucking competition at the airport.

I couldn't justify shelling out big bucks for something that gets so bashed around. Each trip I inevitably get some strange stain smelling of someone's perfume or shampoo on our luggage so why go pricey if it's just going to get mangled.:doh:

iDisney
01-24-2009, 09:49 AM
We usually just use cheap luggage from department/discount stores for one reason: It seems that on every trip, we need to buy a new suitcase to bring our souvenirs home!

The other day Target had a Wenger SwissGear (the people who make the Swiss Army Knife) luggage set on sale for $200. They had the swivel wheels and it had, I believe, 4 pieces. I don't actually own any but if they hold up as well as the laptop backpack I have from them, they will last forever!

Ian
01-24-2009, 03:06 PM
I swear by Tumi.We don't have any Tumi bags yet, because our old stuff is still holding up. But everyone I work with travels a lot and they all swear by their Tumi luggage.

I have to say, having seen them up close I plan on switching once ours gives out. They are very high quality.

BeccaO
01-27-2009, 12:11 PM
I can tell you what NOT to buy. I got my kids a 3 piece set of luggage off the Disney Shopping website for Christmas and it is <snip>!!! The small suitcase which I used for my 2 year olds stuff when we went to Disney a couple weeks ago, the wheel completely broke off before we even reached our hotell!!!! I guess you get what you pay for, thank-god I didn't pay much for it!!!

Bri
01-27-2009, 01:29 PM
i have luggage called travel gear. i got it from a website called luggageguy or something like that. actually i think i got it on e-bay. i love it, it's 4 pieces and they are all great sizes and i have never had a problem with it and it cost me about $100 for the whole set.

garymacd
02-12-2009, 11:51 AM
I usually just use a couple of cloth grocery bags and then tape the you-know-what out of them with duct tape!

Handy-man's secret weapon!

mixelate
02-17-2009, 08:11 PM
I would check out the Heys website.

I fell in love with the hardside exotic line in leopard print!
Expensive, but looks great.