PDA

View Full Version : Seafood -- best restaurant?

pwdebbie
01-16-2009, 09:54 PM
My husband wants seafood for his birthday, specifically shellfish (not fish). Right now I am planning the Cape May Clam Bake. But I was wondering if there is a real good seafood restaurant that isn't buffet and that isn't 2 DDP TS credits. Coral Reef was a major disappointment the last time. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Deb

KatMark
01-16-2009, 10:50 PM
A lot of people say Flying Fish is very good. We did it years ago and it was okay. I do not know if it is 1 or 2 credits, however.

We've not been back because we prefer to go to Fulton's at Downtown Disney and pay out of pocket because we have always had excellent meals and service there.

DisneyGlutton
01-17-2009, 01:38 AM
A lot of people say Flying Fish is very good. We did it years ago and it was okay. I do not know if it is 1 or 2 credits, however.

FF is superb, but alas, its 2 TS credits.

Maleficent's Dad
01-17-2009, 06:53 AM
My husband wants seafood for his birthday, specifically shellfish (not fish).
If you are specifically looking for shellfish, Fulton's would be a better bet than Flying Fish. Fulton's has a portion of their menu dedicated to shellfish (crab legs, claws, dungeness crab, etc.). FF tends to cook more fish as their entrees (not to say that you can't get shellfish, you most definitely can, but it's prepared in a different manner).

My personal preference is FF, but Fulton's is a good spot.
FF is a Signature Dining worth two credits.

Just so you know: For shellfish at Cape May, your choices are usually clams in garlic butter, Prince Island Mussels in tomato butter, and steamed peel & eat shrimp.

MOJoe
01-17-2009, 10:26 AM
The Bluezoo at the Dolphin is also very, very good. I actually enjoyed it more than Fultons. Some of the best oysters i've ever had came from there. Great cocktails too!

pwdebbie
01-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Fultons isn't on the dining plan, so that's out. And, yes, FF is 2 TS. I'm guessing Bluezoo isn't on the dining plan either. The clams and shrimp at Cape May is something he likes.

I wish the lobster tails were still available somewhere at a dining plan restaurant but it looks like they are gone. We had that last year at Captain Jack's, but once I told him the lobster tail was no longer on the menu, then he didn't want to go there.

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Deb

Natazu
01-17-2009, 05:07 PM
There is a limited amount of good seafood places on the dining plan for 1 TS credit. There are a couple of places with good shellfish. One of the best is Coral Reef. If it was a disappointment, (assuming it wasn't just an off night), it'll be hard to find anything much better.
Yak and Yeti has great shellfish and Spoodle's has some good apps. There's a good shrimp and scallops dinner at Kona plus good crab cakes and prawn soup.

Hope this helps a little.

ThanxForNoticin
01-17-2009, 08:59 PM
I agree with Flying Fish and Fulton's. I also agree with your other point (and it is extremely rare we disagree with Natazu!) - we also have had disappointing experiences with Coral Reef - two of them, in fact. We won't be going back anymore. We have a trip coming up where we'll be trying Bluezoo - looking forward to that.

Gator
01-19-2009, 09:07 PM
If you were disappointed by Coral Reef, you'll be disappointed by everything. One of the best seafood meals I've ever had.

Anyway, you can't get shellfish for cheap anywhere at WDW. Either spend 2 DDP credits or head off property.

tinkerbelle75
01-19-2009, 11:11 PM
I also had a REALLY bad meal at Coral Reef . It was so bad that I will not be going back....ever. I think the best seafood is at Fultons also.

SBETigg
01-20-2009, 08:24 AM
If you were disappointed by Coral Reef, you'll be disappointed by everything.

That's really not true at all. I love many WDW restaurants, and Coral Reef is not one of them. One of the worst meals I've ever had. I wouldn't go back, and if the OP had a bad experience there, I can imagine the feeling might be mutual though I do agree that it could have been an off night. Sometimes, a meal is so bad that you just can't go back no matter what people say about great experiences afterwards.

I do agree that you're going to have to do a 2 ts meal (I would go to Narcoossee's for the whole Maine lobster) or off-dining plan (Fulton's) for shellfish.

#1donaldfan
01-20-2009, 12:36 PM
....so far Fulton's is on my all time #1 list of best sea food.......but, I've just been researching Olivia's at OKW and reallly like what I'm reading and hearing.....:thumbsup:

MonoMan
01-20-2009, 06:07 PM
The Flying Fish and Fulton's are both excellent - worth paying out of pocket or using 2 credits. We tried the Cape May Buffet one time two years ago while staying at the BC - everyone was very disappointed. I think it is probably a decent meal - but because it is buffet it's just not on the same level as FF and Fulton's. You may want to check out the menus at the different places and see if that helps you make a decision.

ThanxForNoticin
01-20-2009, 09:58 PM
If you were disappointed by Coral Reef, you'll be disappointed by everything. One of the best seafood meals I've ever had.

I'm glad you had a terrific meal at Coral Reef. I have friends who love it, too. All we can do is base it on personal experience, and unfortunately we had 2 very poor experiences at CR. I honestly cannot say that about any other restaurant we've done on Disney property. It's the only Disney restaurant we won't go to when we visit.