PDA

View Full Version : Sick after returning from Disney

RocknBev
01-16-2009, 04:35 PM
I returned from WDW on Sunday night and by Tuesday I was miserable with sinus congestion, sore throat,coughing etc. I had to leave work on Wednesday because I felt so bad.
I am so careful not to touch the handrails or anything else at the park and I wash my hands CONSTANTLY. But regarldes of what I do, every year it seems I come home and find myself sick within days of my return :( Does anyone else have this problem?

Marilyn Michetti
01-16-2009, 05:27 PM
My DH came home with the same symptoms Dec. 15th, and it's still hanging on a month later. For us, Florida is a totally different climate (we live in Arizona). Maybe it was the moisture in the air?:(

sisterdisco
01-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Disney is guilty only by association for this one.

It is a combination of the time of year and large masses of people.

If you took an airplane, all the airborne germs were just waiting for you.

Hope you feel better soon.

amd780
01-16-2009, 06:58 PM
I've never been sick after a trip, but last January I was sick IN Disney. We arrived on a Sunday, and I had a terrible cold by Thursday. It was so bad that we just hung around the resort on our last day and didn't use our park hoppers at all. I think I wore myself down and left myself open to the germs! :ill:

dmosher
01-16-2009, 07:02 PM
You will find this is/can be a combination of things. Pressure from longer flights can cause the sinus pressure and depending on your length of flight versus your length of stay, the up and down then return flight can play havoc on sensitive systems. Add to this a general change in diet, exercise, sleep that we all experience when on vacation and the climate changes you may experience (weather, pressure, humidity, foreign pollen and plants, etc) and the stress of most vacations and it is no wonder you are having these symptoms. My advice is to consult your doctor regarding this as an allergy test for that area may be in order, otherwise your standard over the counter anti-allergy meds can work wonders.
:pipes:
D

mouseketeer mom
01-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Yes, it seems I always come down with a sinus/throat thing during/coming home from Disney. I always blame the plane though.

pixiesmimi
01-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Most of the time we come home with something like this but we don't fly, we drive. We take all precautions with germicidal hand cleaner, not touching railings,etc. but usually still get sick. But last time I started taking Airborne before going and all the time I was there. We did not get sick. But this thing you have sounds like what my mother and DH both just had the last few weeks. A few others around here have had it. I think there are just some viruses or allergies or something going around right now. Although, with as cold as it is right now, I'm surprised any germs are living. :) Hope you feel better soon!

RocknBev
01-17-2009, 12:34 PM
It has nothing to do with flying since we drive down to Disney. I will follow the suggestions of Pixiesmimi and try Airborne next time....anything will help! My nephews who were at WDW as well are sick too. I am sure it is a combination of time of year and possibly the spreading of germs in the mass of people!
I just can't believe it happens to me everytime...but I have to admit I go around the same time every year so there!:) Regardless...nothing will stop me from my visit with my favorite mouse!:mickey:

senderella
01-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Last year one day after coming home from our annual girls only weekend, my friend and I both came down with the flu! Not sure if we picked it up in Disney, but we were fine when we left. Not stopping me from going again same time in 3 weeks! I can ride POC with a hanky under my nose.

Here we go again...
01-17-2009, 02:51 PM
It could be allergies. There might be something that blooms in Disney that you are allergic to. Many people end up getting sinus infections when their allergies flare up.

Many people think they do not have allergies, but here in Louisiana most doctors won't even test for allergies before putting someone allegra or zyrtec. Too much mold and other stuff in the air... everyone has allergies.

I hope you feel better!

Dragongirlx
01-19-2009, 04:47 AM
I tend to get sick from the plane journey over. Twice I have been fine when I got on the plane and the minute I got off I started to sneeze and within two days of arriving at the world I was sick. This is why I always pack colde remendy whenever I go

luvmyboys4ever
01-19-2009, 04:58 AM
I was sick the last day and a half of our trip. My friend who went 1 month later came back with a cold too. My doctor said it could be that we're exposed to new germs that our bodies aren't familiar with or able to deal with. Disney has the whole world coming for a visit. That's a whole bunch of new germs :sick: