PDA

View Full Version : What was Discovery Island Park?

FaithTrustPixieDust
01-16-2009, 03:05 PM
I noticed this on the Intercot maps and have never heard of it. What was it? Who has been there? What is it now?

Thanks

Beast_fanatic
01-16-2009, 03:19 PM
It was primarily a bird sanctuary although they had a few animals there too (such as giant tortoises), and they had presentations with some of the birds. You could catch a boat over to it from the Contemporary which is what we did (I suspect it was on our 1992 trip, but it might have been later).

Now, it's primarily just an overgrown island where a lot of birds still live. You pass by it if you take the boat from the Contemporary over to Ft. Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge.

pixiesmimi
01-16-2009, 11:01 PM
We went to Discovery Island back in the 90's. It was fun but no AK. In fact, I had thought that maybe AK was Discovery Island remade. I wasn't aware that the island is still there. (I didn't actually remember how we got there and where it was located, just remembered that we went when my DGS was 3 years old and my DB took us when he was a Game and Fish Commission Officer on a trip to WDW.

teambricker04
01-16-2009, 11:58 PM
We were just there and were amazed that you could still see some buildings on the island. It is really over grown. We talked to a CM about it and all the animals from DI went over to AK when it opened.

You can see river country on the boat ride as well!

kemps@wdw
01-20-2009, 11:53 PM
We visited Discovery Island several times back in the 80s. Lots of various birds, some large tortoises, lush foliage. All-in-all a nice place. It's a shame such prime acreage is going to waist. Surely, it's potential is unlimited. (unless it is no longer inhabitable or being used for something unknown) Maybe, something pirate themed, or a tropical island thing w/restaurants and walking trails...the possibilities are endless!:thumbsup: