PDA

View Full Version : American Adventure.....worth it?

redcpa1022
01-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Since the Hall of Presidents will be closed when I go in a few weeks, I was wondering if the American Adventure would be a good alternative. Is it really 30 minutes? That seems like a long time for an attraction. Is it worth my time?

SBETigg
01-16-2009, 02:50 PM
If you like the Hall of Presidents, I think it is worth your time. It's in a nice theater with plenty of seating. I don't recall being bored by it or thinking it was a long show. The time goes quickly and it is entertaining. I've only been to it once and I don't see it as a repeat attraction, but I do think it's a good show and worth viewing at least once. Of course, if time is short, it's not a Must-See.

mouseketeer mom
01-16-2009, 02:55 PM
It is worth it. 2 out of 3 of my kids were bored out of their minds, one liked it, I liked it, and my husband loved it. It brought tears to his eyes, but patriotism is his middle name, so this attraction was right up his alley! It goes by fairly quickly, and it is quite moving.

Strmchsr
01-16-2009, 03:33 PM
If you're interested at all in the history of the United States it's definitely worth it.

ThanxForNoticin
01-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Absolutely worth the trip. It's a great attraction. And if you have the chance to do it in the afternoon, go early to catch the Voices of Liberty pre-show singing. It is absolutely an amazing experience.

TKDONALD
01-16-2009, 03:45 PM
If you like history and want to see a 30min recap of american history do it. I go to Disney 3 to 4 times a year and never miss it.:mickey:

g8rgirl29
01-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Absolutely worth the trip. It's a great attraction. And if you have the chance to do it in the afternoon, go early to catch the Voices of Liberty pre-show singing. It is absolutely an amazing experience.
Ditto!!!:mickey:

robnadina
01-16-2009, 04:03 PM
This isn't a must see. Although we go everytime. In my opinion, this is a great way to get off your feet while still visiting an attraction. Much like Hall of Presidents. It will not be time wasted. In the summer, its also a good way to get out of the heat for 30 min.

Goes4FastPass
01-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Since the Hall of Presidents will be closed when I go in a few weeks, I was wondering if the American Adventure would be a good alternative. Is it really 30 minutes? That seems like a long time for an attraction. Is it worth my time?
The attraction is worth everybody's time. I'm not sure this question is worth anybody's time.

redcpa1022
01-16-2009, 04:33 PM
The attraction is worth everybody's time. I'm not sure this question is worth anybody's time.

Pardon my simple question. If it wasn't worth your time, you didn't have to reply.

TheRustyScupper
01-16-2009, 04:40 PM
ABSOLPOSITIVELY !

Goes4FastPass
01-16-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm a WDW fan. Like everyone who visits WDW frequently some attractions appeal to me more than others and some hardly appeal to me at all.

But all attractions at WDW are engineered, imagineered to be works of techno-entertainment art.

The American Adventure is a particularly large an impressive WDW attraction.

Pardon me, but to ask "Is it worth my time" seems a bit flippant. "What's it like?" would be less jarring. That's why I replied the way I did.

cindchan
01-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Personally, I love it! But then again, I LOVE Hall of Presidents! :number1: I think you should try it at least once. You never know, you might really enjoy it!

Iluvpooh
01-16-2009, 08:34 PM
ABSOLPOSITIVELY !
Wait a minute-Is this the only post I have ever seen of yours that isn't a numbered list?:thumbsup:
I really love this attraction. I cry everytime and the Audio-Animatronics are the best in the parks IMO. Well, they were until the POTC refurb.

PeterPan
01-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Yes, I too am not a fan of the "Is it worth it?" question. Agreed! the better way to ask is "What is this attraction all about?"

It is nothing short of utterly spectacular. I have often stated that it is one of the crowning acheivements of the Walt Disney Company. Worth your time? Are you kidding me? Everyone at WDW should be FORCED to see this phenominal presentation. Including the world famous (and rightly so) Voices of Liberty that sing at intervals all afternoon.

Please, please spare 30 minutes of your time for this. And while you are watching, think about the research, technology, imagineering and yes, sheer ARTISTRY it took to bring this to life.

SPECTACULAR!

lindique
01-16-2009, 09:00 PM
I believe that if you like the Hall of Presidents, you will LOVE the American Adventure. It is far superior. I like to sit up close because some of the audioanimatronic characters are amazing. Pay close attention to Thomas Jefferson (I think it's him, anyway) - he actually seems to walk up the stairs in one scene.

Marceline
01-16-2009, 09:40 PM
The walking Ben Franklin is one of the highest tech animitronics figures ever. The story is moving and makes me misty every time I see it. My 6 year old loved it, but then again she likes history.

Doesn't matter if you were born or live in the US or not.....your at WDW enjoying the heights of Americana....and it is all of our American Adventure. Have a seat, enjoy the show.:thumbsup:

SubNET3
01-17-2009, 04:41 AM
It's worth it but as said before not really a repeat attraction. There is plenty of stuff to look at if you don't happen to walk in right as the show is opening, like items and inventions from Thomas Edison, Ben Franklin, and other famous americans.

Maleficent's Dad
01-17-2009, 07:16 AM
I like the show - a lot.
I understand that some want to rush around to other things, and everyone's entitled to their own opinions & agendas.

It's a patriotic thing - and a bit of a history lesson - so my kids always accompany me when we watch.

And those Voices of Liberty at the preshow - very, very well done!!!

Ian
01-17-2009, 07:33 AM
I happen to think that American Adventure is the best Audio-Animatronic show that Disney has ever assembled.

It's awesome. Definitely worth checking out.

Rhetoric2000
01-17-2009, 08:33 AM
As a foreigner I am a big fan of the American Adventure. It is a wonderful mini-detail of history and is IMO better at analysing and presenting what is truly distinct/unique about the US, far more so than other patriotic US shows I've seen.

It is certainly a stronger show than the Hall of Presidents (though I think that is pretty good too) and as Ian has said above me is probably the best AA show in WDW.

Some scenes lag, and it is hard to discern the purpose of a couple of scenes, but this is faint criticism of an outstanding show.

AdventurerKim
01-17-2009, 08:35 AM
The American Adventure is the best attraction in World Showcase and EPCOT! I am always moved emotionally and patriotically whenever I see it. I think everyone should see it! If I could bring it into my classroom, I definitely would. This is worth every minute of the show. :thumbsup:

"DoYouHaveYourParkPass?"
01-17-2009, 12:12 PM
:thumbsup: I personally love the American Adventure. Always do it at least twice. Some of our group use it as a place to sit quietly in a cool place. Love the Golden Dreams song at the end!

Pigtunia
01-17-2009, 12:19 PM
I happen to think that American Adventure is the best Audio-Animatronic show that Disney has ever assembled.

It's awesome. Definitely worth checking out.

I agree. Best. Robot show. Ever.

The climactic film montage will bring a tear to your eye -- it's brilliantly done!

Mickey91
01-17-2009, 03:57 PM
IMHO, even though I love the Hall of Pres., The American Adventure is one o the best at WDW and if I had to choose to do just one, I would definitely pick AA. Check the times guide and try to get there to see the fife and drum corps and the Voices of Liberty.:mickey:

cindchan
01-17-2009, 09:14 PM
:thumbsup: I personally love the American Adventure. Always do it at least twice. Some of our group use it as a place to sit quietly in a cool place. Love the Golden Dreams song at the end!

*sings* America! Spread your golden wings!

Man, I want to cry when I hear that! It's such a beautiful song!

pdrlkr
01-18-2009, 01:06 PM
We love it! :thumbsup:

Ian
01-18-2009, 02:18 PM
*sings* America! Spread your golden wings!

Man, I want to cry when I hear that! It's such a beautiful song!Yeah, that is just the perfect song for that final montage.

I won't lie ... whenever they get to the part with Walt and Tink, no matter how many times I've seen the show, I get choked up. Happens every, single, solitary time.

I'm such a sap. ;)

DisneyBabies
01-18-2009, 02:25 PM
At the risk of being forced out of the "I LOVE Disney World Club", after reading the description of AA in several of the tour books, DH and I had decided not to go see it on our upcoming trip. However, after reading all your posts (which give a totally different impression of AA) I think we are going to make a point of stopping by instead of 'stumbling' on it while we are there. Do you think our 4 (almost 5) year old DS will like it or will he barely make it through? He loves to hear people singing, and we are trying to learn a few little tidbits about the various countries in WS before we go, so he can share them with his class when we get back.
Thanks for opening my mind once again everyone!

handmaidenofprincesses
01-18-2009, 02:26 PM
The American Adventure is easily my favorite attraction in the World Showcase. Like many other posters have said, the AAs are amazing, the story is great, and the music is really moving.

But whatever you do, you absolutely MUST see the Voices of Liberty. They are phenomenal!! They sing a cappella American folk music, some of which you're probably familiar with ("Shenandoah," "Oh Susanna," a very interesting rendition of "Old MacDonald") and some of which you may not know ("Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair," "He's Gone Away") They sing in 15 minute increments prior to the American Adventure show, but a park times guide can give you more detailed info than that. Even though we only go to see the American Adventure once a trip, I have to see VoL at least twice- they're wonderful!

Have fun!

LoriMistress
01-18-2009, 05:10 PM
If you like HoP then you'll like American Adventure. I thought the show was over-all enjoyable to watch. My DH who's a big on history and Pro American, thought the show was alright.

kemps@wdw
01-18-2009, 07:10 PM
:flag: /The American Adventure is always a definite for us. We occasionally can catch the Voices of Liberty :sing:and they are fantastic! The story about the brothers in the Civil War always brings a tear to my eye. :cry: If you respect your american history, The American Adventure presents it in all its glory as only Disney can. Even our teenage DD like it. (At the very least, the little one can get a little dark, cool, quite time while you're there) :D

2Epcot
01-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Definately a must see. I can't imagine going to Epcot and not seeing the American Adventure. The overall presentation is amazing, the audio-animatronics, the film, the production in blending the two together. I would put this attraction among my top 3 favorites at Epcot, and what made me love this park from my first visit.

cindchan
01-18-2009, 08:55 PM
But whatever you do, you absolutely MUST see the Voices of Liberty. They are phenomenal!! They sing a cappella American folk music, some of which you're probably familiar with ("Shenandoah," "Oh Susanna," a very interesting rendition of "Old MacDonald")

Have fun!

Oh, I forgot about that Old McDonald song! That cracked me up when I heard it! :D Yes, by all means, get there early enough to catch Voices. Simply wonderful singing!! :sing:

The story about the brothers in the Civil War always brings a tear to my eye. :cry: If you respect your american history, The American Adventure presents it in all its glory as only Disney can.

That part always makes me cry!! Coupled with the song, it's a real tear-jerker! I'm sure if I heard the song on it's own, I'd still cry remembering that scene. :cry: I'm glad that they don't sugar coat all of history, and show the bad alongside the good. :flag:

SurferStitch
01-19-2009, 10:13 AM
DH and I never miss AA when we're in WDW! It's an absolute must-do!

You'll always find us in the second row, dead center. It's DH's favorite place to sit.

I always choke up at the end, too. :blush: Especially now that they have 9/11 footage.

dolphinmickey9170
01-19-2009, 10:21 AM
I cry everytime. I sit and watch the Voices of Liberty, then go upstairs for the show. I always shed tears. It's great. If the closing video doesn't move you, I would be shocked. It is WELL worth your time. Enjoy it!

We were made to be the family of the day as we were there last year celebrating our anniversary. The Voices of Liberty sang a Disney classic to us for our anniversary, "A Dream is A Wish." If you you tube it, you will understand why I cry before the show. Once you hear the "Golden Dream" music at the end of the show, you will again, understand why I cry at the end of the show.

WDW_Obsessed
01-19-2009, 10:31 AM
DH and I absolutely love this show. :number1: Like many have already said, it brings me to tears every time I see it. Especially if you like the Hall of Presidents, I think you will really enjoy AA. That being said, I saw this show every time I went to WDW as a child and dreaded having to sit through it every trip. I was just too busy of a child to sit down and enjoy a 30 min. show in a theatre. As a teenager I started to appreciate the value of such a great show, but it's my opinion that this show isn't a must-see for everyone with small kids.

redcpa1022
01-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I will definitely see the show now. None of the descriptions I've read in books or online come anywhere close to the details in this post. It seems like there's much more to this show than meets the eye. Thanks again!:mickey:

grumpyguy
01-19-2009, 11:49 AM
i think it's definetly worth the time more now than ever!!the first time we went in i thought i was going to be bored,but it is something i look forward to seeing now,i think it's very enjoyable:thumbsup:

wire0monkey
01-19-2009, 05:09 PM
It's much better than the Hall of Presidents. It's more interesting and has better animotronics.

My kids were too young for it, last time, though, and I had to take them out before their restlessness disturbed other people.

Daisy'sMom
01-19-2009, 06:22 PM
I don't understand how anyone could not love it!! It makes me shake my head and try to remember not everyone wants to experience a bit of Americana.:mickey:

Pete Olsen
01-19-2009, 06:33 PM
A must see on every trip. The music will stay with you for months. As part of one of the behind the scenes tours, we went "back stage" of the attraction. It is an amazing process.

The Voices of Liberty, the Fife and Drum, The Hall of Flags all make for a wonderful experience.

Louiseec
01-21-2009, 12:09 AM
:thumbsup:It's more than worth it. I love this attraction. At the end, when they show the movie to the song "Golden Dream" it always gets to me.

GrmGrninGost
01-21-2009, 12:18 AM
The American Adventure is one of my most favorite attractions in all of WDW! :mickey: I never leave the theatre that I don't feel proud to be an American! It is a great attraction and should not be missed!

joelkfla
01-21-2009, 08:26 AM
I just want to emphasize what some said earlier.

Most guests, seeing the immense size of the theater, assume it's a movie and sit towards the back. But the real show is the audio-animatronics. Sit close!

It's the clip of JFK that gets to me in the montage.

Tygger7
01-21-2009, 08:37 AM
As so many others have posted, this is easily one of the best attractions/presentations/shows at WDW. The AA's are so lifelike it's eerie...the first time I saw it (back with my parents, in the 80's), my dad kept insisting they were real actors and not AA's. :D And I'd also like to add, if at all possible, do not miss the Voices of Liberty. They are amazing! Probably the best vocal group I've ever heard. Personally, I like American Adventure a thousand times better than Hall of Presidents. I know HoP is a classice, and I definitely enjoy it...it's just that AmAdv is that much better. I'm with the others...I tear up just thinking about it. :)

Stich8818
01-21-2009, 10:03 AM
I tried this on my last trip...Granted I loved it..the wife and daughter...Meh..they were like whats next...As everyone else said its worth at least once on your trip..Plus one of the best parts..The Voices of Liberty in the pre show...wonderful.

FenwayGirl
01-21-2009, 12:09 PM
One of my favorite attractions. If you are a history buff, you will love it.
The music and movie at the end always make me cry

dmallan
01-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Yes, the Voices of Liberty are awesome!
If you really enjoy them stop in the gift shop after the show to check out their CDs. At first I wasn't sure it was the same group as they are called "The Liberty Voices", but they are indeed the same.
The CD I have includes "Golden Dream" which, as others have said, just makes you feel so proud to be an American.

ojeilatan
01-21-2009, 10:41 PM
The Voices of Liberty prior is worth the trip by themselves. When we saw them, they finished with the 50 states song, and people were clapping and cheering as their states were said. When they got to our state, Wyoming, our little group of four cheered, and all the singers turned and looked at us at the same time. Ones asked if we were serious, and when we laughed and said yes they brought us in the middle and had people clap for us because we were 'rare visitors from that strange land known as Wyoming!' :D It was fantastic, really.

disneydeb
01-22-2009, 06:55 AM
Beginning with the Voices of Liberty preshow , it is wonderful!

Sort of make you proud to be an American!

leighe
01-22-2009, 10:27 AM
We love the American Adventure and especially the Voices of Liberty. I actually prefer it to the Hall of Presidents. We are taking our first trip with DDs 3 years and 18 months this spring break so I'm afraid we're going to have to miss it this trip. I don't see them sitting through it. :(

handmaidenofprincesses
01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Yes, the Voices of Liberty are awesome!
If you really enjoy them stop in the gift shop after the show to check out their CDs. At first I wasn't sure it was the same group as they are called "The Liberty Voices", but they are indeed the same.

"The Liberty Voices" is the name they use when they go on tour; according to their website, they sometimes select 8 members from all current and former VoL members to go on tour around the country when they have special events to do. (I, too, was confused when I went to purchase a CD)

98'cpTyphoonGuard
01-25-2009, 11:46 AM
If you have never seen it, then you should at least once - if time allows. If, like others have said, your enjoy history and consider yourself to be patriotic then it is a must see.:thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
01-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I think it's a wonderful show and vastly underappreciated by many who visit WDW. Everyone should see it at least a couple of times.:mickey:

tiggerandpooh63
01-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Just returned and we LOVED it! Can't wait for them to update with Obama - the current story builds up to what will make the story even more moving:thumbsup:

PeterPan
01-25-2009, 02:55 PM
You are talking about "The American Adventure" aren't you? If so, don't hold your breath that an update including Obama will be included any time soon. It takes years and years to "update" the final part of the show. If you notice, very few presidents are "honored" in any way. They must become part of our American Adventure story in a pretty significant way - for instance, only Kennedy speaks, and after all, he was killed during his presidency. Yes, yes I know Obama is our first African American president and will always be remembered as such, but as far as him being included immediately in the Final Motage of The American Adventure - just don't hold your breath.

Sylvia
01-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Growing up in the shadow of Independence Hall, American history has always been a big part of my life.

I'm a huge fan of the American Adventure and the Voices of Liberty. I have seen the show at least once on every trip (and sometimes twice) and there are many parts of the show which still give me chills. It's a great lesson in history. Seeing Ben Franklin walk up the steps is also a highlight.

If your schedule permits, don't miss it.

DizNee143
01-27-2009, 11:57 AM
when i was younger this attraction was such a bore..but now..id say the last 2 or 3 years..i have come to love it and make sure i get to see it at least once...:thumbsup:

Tinkerbelly84
01-27-2009, 12:40 PM
I make sure I do it atleast once every trip. I get kind of teary eyed every time!

Marilyn Michetti
01-28-2009, 11:15 AM
It's absolutely worth the 30 minutes to remember what brought this country to freedom. Your kids might not remember what they read in a history book, but they'll remember seeing it acted out. The ending music, "America, on Golden Wings", brings the audience to the present day.

It's a thrilling show.:flag:

SonIsThumper
01-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Absolutely! Makes me feel proud to be an American every single time.:flag:

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Being from Canada, we were a bit worried if we would enjoy this attraction, since there is so much American pride in it, so much about being American, but WE LOVE IT! It is a must-see for us every visit, with the Voices of Liberty...we just love the attraction.

And yes, we tear up at the end too...there is just so much great history that you can't help but be moved.

Hull-onian
01-29-2009, 02:04 PM

If you are a Patriot (Not the New England ones) and love your country (I assume you do), then go to the American Adventure. It brings tears to my eyes when I think how hard my parents worked to come here and make a new life for themselves and their family. Go see it.