PDA

View Full Version : U.S.Airline Crash

Marilyn Michetti
01-15-2009, 05:12 PM
YIKES!!! The plane evidently hit a flock of birds, had two engines knocked out, and the pilot had to land in the Hudson River.

Everybody got out, but some of them were wet, and it's not exactly warm in New York.

God bless the pilots and crew that avoided a crash in a downtown area.:thumbsup:

kakn7294
01-15-2009, 05:16 PM
My cousin pilots those planes from La Guardia. We haven't heard from him today but he was in California last night so we're assuming that he was not piloting that plane. I thank God that everyone made it out safely.

RedSoxFan
01-15-2009, 05:24 PM
I saw this on the news. Scary. Glad that everyone made it out OK.

crazypoohbear
01-15-2009, 05:35 PM
I am so thankful that
1 everyone made it out okay
2. the pilot really knew what he was doing and kept the city safe as well.
3. that it was not an act of terrorism.
My son is leaving on a train right now for NYC (Penn Station) just south of where the plane crashed. Had it been a terrorist act, I would have sat on him to keep him from leaving.

kakn7294
01-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Just heard from my mom - my cousin is in Phoenix, safe, warm and dry.

dolphinmickey9170
01-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Just heard from my mom - my cousin is in Phoenix, safe, warm and dry.

Thank goodness Kathy!!

pink
01-15-2009, 07:04 PM
This was a scary thing but I'm glad everyone made it out ok. That pilot is amazing, there is a small window between the Hudson river and two sides of the city and yet he got it in a the perfect spot right near the ferries.

I hate flying in and out of Laguardia the runway is way too small. Especially when you land, it always looks like you're not going to make it and land into the water.

princessgirls
01-15-2009, 08:15 PM
I truly believe that we witnessed a miracle today.

The pilot is a hero.

God is good!

It is with tears in my eyes that I type this and NOT a heavy heart.

Julie:mickey:

JPL
01-15-2009, 08:26 PM
It's definately a miracle nobody was seriously injured. I got off the train and actually saw them towing the plane down to Battery Park where it is currently tied up awaiting the investigation. At first I had no idea what was going on I just saw alot of bot activity my first thought was ferry was sinking or on fire since one of the first boats I saw was FDNY. Then someonme said a plane went down and I actually saw it being towed in between the boats, About 40 minutes earlier I would have seen the entire accident.

conorsmom2000
01-15-2009, 08:37 PM
The pilot is a hero - it is just a miracle that everyone survived. One man was asked "how long from when you heard the loud noise until you were in the water" and his answer was "10 Hail Mary's". If it had to happen, thank God it also happened right near the ferry's - they said the ferry's were there within 8 minutes of the plane going into the water. My husband Mike was floored as he works on the Jersey side of the Hudson River, right where it happened but had left the job site 5 minutes before the plane took off - he can't imagine the shock of seeing a plane going into the water. And in the NYC area, post 9/11, seeing anything like that, you feel immediate terror.

I just thank God everyone is safe!

Melanie
01-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Simply amazing the actions of the pilot. A miracle indeed!!! Thank goodness everyone is okay.

LauraleeH
01-15-2009, 08:56 PM
I truly believe that we witnessed a miracle today.

The pilot is a hero.

God is good!

It is with tears in my eyes that I type this and NOT a heavy heart.

Julie:mickey:
I completely agree, I couldn't have said it better myself.

jennbunn
01-15-2009, 10:11 PM
thank god that no one got hurt today.

gueli
01-16-2009, 05:01 AM
Wow.

I am so happy everyone is safe.

I agree with the other posts about Laguardia airport. Especially in the winter.

Not that it is the case with this story, I still prefer JFK (Jet Blue rules).
:mickey:

Carol
01-16-2009, 06:59 AM
I hate flying in and out of Laguardia the runway is way too small. Especially when you land, it always looks like you're not going to make it and land into the water.That's one of the reasons I fly out of Connecticut. :scared:

The video and photos coming in today are amazing. This pilot certainly deserves a vacation and bonus!

brownie
01-16-2009, 10:51 AM
It is a miracle. I was impressed by all those who responded and helped. It's great to see everyone pitching in when something happens.

Hammer
01-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Pilot's family going to inauguration
Obama also invites pilot credited with saving 155 lives on Air Force 1
NBC News and news services
updated 8:49 a.m. ET, Mon., Jan. 19, 2009
DANVILLE, Calif. - At the invitation of President-elect Barack Obama, Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger, the hero pilot of the US Airways plane that landed in the Hudson river last week, and his family will attend Tuesday's inaugural festivities.

An aide to Obama said Sunday evening that all five members of the Flight 1549 crew have been invited to the inauguration. The aide spoke on condition of anonymity because details were still being worked out.

It was not yet clear where, or with whom, Sullenberger would sit at the inaugural but the seat was expected to be fairly prominent.

In addition, Obama also promised to take the entire crew on Air Force 1 whenever they would like to do it, NBC News reported on Monday.

Mayor Newell Arnerich said Sunday that the town of Danville, Sully's hometown, is also planning a welcome home for the pilot.

The Danville mayor said Lorraine Sullenberger told city officials that the family was to leave for the East Coast on Sunday. The pilot's wife and daughters had not seen Sullenberger since he was hailed as a hero for saving the lives of all 155 on board.

Danville scheduled a celebration Saturday for Sullenberger. Arnerich said the event was tentative because he was not sure when the pilot would return home.

The mayor said a U.S. Air Force Color Guard and flyover are expected. Sullenberger was named best aviator in his class at the Air Force Academy.

The pilot had been scheduled to give his first interview since the crash landing Monday on TODAY, but the interview was postponed.

Matt Lauer, co-host of the morning news program on NBC, told viewers that Sullenberger decided he wanted to give the NTSB more time to conduct its investigation before making his first public comments about the daring water landing.

NBC News and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

kakn7294
01-19-2009, 10:27 AM
How great for him and the rest of the crew! They certainly deserve all the praise they've been getting. I know a lot of people say it's his / their job(s) but it still could have all gone horribly wrong.