PDA

View Full Version : How I know it's really cold

Aurora
01-15-2009, 01:23 PM
We live about 15 minutes from O'Hare airport, beneath a runway pattern.

On really REALLY cold days (like today -- the temperature is 10 below with a wind chill of 30-40 below) the planes flying over sound different -- instead of a low roar or rumble, it's a shearing sound, like tree branches being cut by an electric saw.

And chimneys look like cloud-makers.

And oh yes, people comment over and over again, "Why do we live here?"

bucky at disney
01-15-2009, 01:25 PM
And car doors make squeeky sounds - like doors in a old house.

princessgirls
01-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Oh it is cold here in the Northeast, but nothing like what you guys are feeling in Chicago!!

Warm sun and Blue skies is what I am dreaming about!

Julie:mickey:

Itchy
01-15-2009, 02:28 PM
And most of all.

When you go to let your pets outside and they stop at the door and look up at you with an expression ( [B]You got to be kidding )
:blush:

It was 1Degree when I came to work outside of St louis this morning.:freeze:

22 days till warmer weather of DW.:mickey:

Ian
01-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Oh it is cold here in the Northeast, but nothing like what you guys are feeling in Chicago!!Not that bad, but bad enough! It's supposed to go down to ... ugh ... 9º tonight. :(

:freeze: :freeze: :freeze:

Missy_Mouses_Dad
01-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Or when your dog picks up the seat to take care of his business rather than go outside.

:freeze::freeze:Today we have -15 with windchill of -40.

Why do we live here?

KylesMom
01-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Hey neighbor, I feel your pain.

Well, when I left for work this morning it was minus 24 degrees with a windchill of around minus 45 degrees. It's now merely minus 12 with a windchill of minus 37. I need to go out to my work parking lot and start my car again to ensure I get home tonight!

Why DO we live here? :D

kakn7294
01-15-2009, 03:37 PM
I feel for you guys. I don't much like the fact that we're at 11º right now with a low of -5º for overnight with windchills of -10º to -20º. Tomorrow's high is to be 6º and tomorrow night's low is to be -3º. I HATE the cold but at least it's not as cold here as it is in the midwest. And my dog does look at me like I'm insane for thinking she should go outside to do her business.

gauvin4
01-15-2009, 03:50 PM
And most of all.

When you go to let your pets outside and they stop at the door and look up at you with an expression ( [B]You got to be kidding )
:blush:

It was 1Degree when I came to work outside of St louis this morning.:freeze:

22 days till warmer weather of DW.:mickey:

:funny: Yup, I know what you mean!! My two small :dog::dog: turn right around and try to come back inside.

It was 7 below when I came to work this morning. :freeze:

BrerGnat
01-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Would it be totally evil :thedolls: of me to just *mention* that it's sunny and 81 degrees here right now?

And I wish it was colder? :blush:

Please don't hate me...

You are all invited over for a pool party if you want! Is that better? :marg: :D

bucky at disney
01-15-2009, 04:10 PM
How about when the forecast for next week is for close to 30 and we think its a heat wave?

KylesMom
01-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Would it be totally evil of me to just *mention* that it's sunny and 81 degrees here right now?

And I wish it was colder?

Please don't hate me...

You are all invited over for a pool party if you want! Is that better?

You know, one of my sales managers based in Oakdale, CA did the same thing to me today. Meanie! :D

What time should I schedule my flight for? :marg:

vicster
01-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Would it be totally evil :thedolls: of me to just *mention* that it's sunny and 81 degrees here right now?

Totally cruel!!! We Chicagoans can handle this - I've seen worse. Although I would love to be sitting in 80 degree weather drinking a mojito poolside!

dolphinmickey9170
01-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Aurora, I hear the same thing from the Southwest planes flying over my house every few hours. It sounds so weird doesn't it?

Ian, it might only be 9 degrees tonight, but I went outside in my pj's and grilled steaks and tater packets, 'cuz it's still 23 degrees. WooHoo!! I love it. :cool:

cindchan
01-15-2009, 08:33 PM

And I wish it was colder? :blush:

Come to Michigan. I'm sure it's cool enough for you! We've been hitting lows below 0 most of the week and it won't get better till the weekend, when we finally get up to the balmy 20's.

jennbunn
01-15-2009, 10:04 PM
we got a heat wave coming to mn next week 35 and drizzle : ) right now that is shorts weather since today is -22 with a wind chill of -45 burrrrr!!!!!!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-15-2009, 10:21 PM
I live in eastern NC.....we know its cold outside when we actually have ice to scrap off our car windows.:cool:

And I'm a Southern Gal to the core, our little cold snap has me in my wool socks and no....12 degrees (forcasted low for tomorrow night) isn't that cold if you live in MN, ND, IN.....but I live in NC and that's pretty darn cold!

Tink2002
01-15-2009, 10:26 PM
high of 8 degrees here tomorrow and then the wind chill to factor in on top of that. The stork made a mistake, I belong in Florida or California or SOMEWHERE warm.

When I'll really curse it is days like tomorrow... got to love the fun part of college where you get to criss-cross all over creation outdoors to get to classes. I have to go 15 minutes of walking across campus from the parking lot and then back again to the other end tomorrow.... and if I still had one of those face masks with the eye holes from when I was little, I would probably be wearing it! :drama:

disneydeb
01-15-2009, 11:01 PM
It's supposed to be 0ºF here tonight in southern middle Tennessee. The coldest night in 6 years.

chrisb26
01-15-2009, 11:05 PM
It was crazy cold here today I live in the Chicago area and it was -10 and wind chill of -30 today. Tomorrow should be a little better. The worst part was my friend and I went to see a movie today and for some reason they decided to have the air on in the movie theater which made it freezing.:freeze:

gueli
01-16-2009, 04:56 AM
Anther friend from the Northeast here.

I work outside and on the overnight shift. It is always dark. And you always have to be careful of the :deer2:
Now its bitterly cold.
And snowing. :woohoo: I love the snow. It always brings out the kid in me, although now I pull my DD on the sled, instead of being pulled.

I like the sounds of the quiet when it is snowing & cold.

oh and BrerGnat- thanks for the chuckle.
:mickey:

bucky at disney
01-16-2009, 10:19 AM
I like the sounds of the quiet when it is snowing & cold.:mickey:
:ditto:

At least until the wind starts really blowing!

alphamommy
01-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Most of the school districts in SE Michigan are closed today because of the cold. It was -11 with a wind chill of -27 around 7:00 AM. I guess they were worried about the kids waiting at bus stops.

BBBRRRRR!!!!!

DisneyTiff
01-16-2009, 10:39 PM
I feel for all of you with the cold. This morning it was -18 here in Maine. I also saw on the news that upstate Maine hit -50, which beat the record of -48.

I hope everyone keeps warm. This winter will end, but not too soon for me. :mickey:

garymacd
01-17-2009, 12:30 PM
:funny: Yup, I know what you mean!! My two small :dog::dog: turn right around and try to come back inside.

It was 7 below when I came to work this morning. :freeze:

I know what you mean about the dogs.

The cat, on the other hand has no brains at all and ran outside when the dog was coming in.

Silly cat.