PDA

View Full Version : First day traditions!

kid@heartforever
01-13-2009, 09:49 AM
We will be back at WDW for our nineth visit in May of this year!:mickey: Our first day we always go to Magic Kingdom and we always begin in Fantasy Land. What are some of the things that YOU always do on your first day?:wave:

mouseketeer mom
01-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Magic Kingdom, POTC, and Ohanas!!!

mcjaco
01-13-2009, 10:10 AM
We head to Downtown Disney and just wander.

It's also the best place to pick up tickets, if your staying off site, as there's never anyone at Guest Services.

Eeyore's Pal
01-13-2009, 10:34 AM
MK and ride Haunted Mansion. It was the first attraction we ever rode and have to make it our first on every trip.

dumbo_buddy
01-13-2009, 10:35 AM
we ALWAYS go to DHS first and head straight to the great movie ride.

it's not that DHS is our favorite or GMR our favorite ride but when i first went with my mom and dad at age 13 fifteen years ago that was our first ride.

and it just stuck. now DH and i do the same thing :mickey:

jonah'smom
01-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Magic Kingdom, straight to Buzz Lightyear for Fastpasses then a ride on the TTA!

avantgardeinker
01-13-2009, 10:41 AM
We never go to a park the first day we're there. We always make ressies at a resort restaurant and go exploring. Then we'll go to DTD and check things out down there.

327 more days!!
:mickey:

mudpuppysmom
01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
We always fly in the same day we start our trip, so we go to MGM and "get that out of the way"....for us we can spend a few hours there and we're happy. DS isn't into alot of the things there, so we do the Muppets, LMA! (if it's going on), GMR and now TSM (we really liked that in December when we went). A brownie for mom from the Writers Stop and a coffee for dad somewhere along the way and possibly B&B show and we're pretty good.....for some reason we are in the "tween" stage early with DS#1 at 6 y/o. He used to like Playhouse Disney and the Animation place and even One Man's Dream, but lately he just says, "We already did that last time"....

This last trip though with my DSiS and her clan we started our trip a day later....so MGM was Day 2 technically......we were all out of sync!!!

senderella
01-13-2009, 11:26 AM
We always head straight to DD and Goofy's Candy shop for a yummy caramel, milk chocolate, oreos, chocolate chips, white chocolate drizzle, and caramel drizzle apple!
Can't wait to go in 24 days!

Luv Eeyore
01-13-2009, 11:51 AM
We always start by wandering around and enjoying our resort. We come from the West Coast and traveling takes a lot out of us so we begin and end our trips by relaxing and taking it easy.

stitchaholic
01-13-2009, 12:35 PM
quick check in at hotel and off to MK and a stroll down main street to play with the CM's with the jump ropes and take castle photo's

Disney Doll
01-13-2009, 01:13 PM
We usually start with an evening at EPCOT. We grab a bite in WS and take in Illuminations.

ibrowse17
01-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Before we had AP's, we would tour the monorail resorts. Now that we have AP's, we head for the MK for a stroll down Main Street and a dog from Casey's:thumbsup:

sacandjac
01-13-2009, 02:27 PM
We always eat at O'hana's for dinner and then head to MK for fireworks. This time we will be eating at O'hana's, but we will be catching the fireworks from a firework cruise! I can't wait!!

Tygger7
01-13-2009, 02:37 PM
First "unoffical" day, we hit Downtown Disney and shop. First "official" park day is always MK, and straight to Space Mountain. Ah yes, good times, good times. :D

Zawadi
01-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Our first day is usually quite hetic. After a 9 hour flight, landing in Orlando Intl around 5pm, clearing immigration, getting the car and checking into the resort we go to the park with the evening EMH. Usually this is DHS and our first ride is ToT (a guaranteed way to wake you up :D )

By the time we get back to our room we've usually had something between a 23-25 hour day.

beksy
01-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Our first day is always at the MK beginning with IASW. This has been the family tradition for so long we can't change the ride even though others are our favorites. Then we head to Peter Pan and on to Liberty Square and Frontierland. Of course mid-morning is a side-trip for a Dole Whip and POTC! Can't walk past without riding it! On my next trip we're going to a park on our un-official first day, meaning right after we check-in. We have ressies at Epcot for that evening but I'll have to see if I can resist the pull of the MK before the meal! Thank goodness for park hoppers. It's hard to break traditions, especially since this is Dbf's first trip and I have to start him off "right" (meaning that I always want to go to MK first and he should get used to it! I'm letting him have DisneyQuest to play in so its a fair trade):mickey:

antnyh
01-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Magic Kingdom, straight to Buzz Lightyear for Fastpasses then a ride on the TTA!

That is just eerie. We do the exact same thing. Everything you mentioned we do. The next item on our list is, for some strange reason, our son's newest fav. Peter Pan. He hasn't even seen the movie. Oh well...he is six and is starting to create his own memories like I have. Great times!!

cindchan
01-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Epcot!! Spaceship Earth!! ^_^

Polynesian Dweller
01-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Our flight usually gets us there mid-afternoon so its late afternoon by the time we have checked in etc. Then, its over to MK via the resort launch and to our first ride, POTC. Then, supper at Pecos Bill, back to Poly before 9:00 so we can see the Electric Water Pageant and watch wishes. Get a drink from the lounge and then sit on our deck and watch the lights change on the castle. Its heaven!:cloud9::cloud9:

EpcotChic23
01-14-2009, 09:19 AM
We usally take the first flight out of EWR so we get to our resort by 1030-1100am. We check in grab a quick lunch, look at the hotel shops, then head to the MK. Mostly just walk around try to get on one or two rides, then dinner at the Plaza (love those rueben's). Depending how tired we are we head back to the hotel go to bed so we can wake up nice an early the next day. Seriously the first day is ALWAYS the best:thumbsup:

KAJUNKING
01-14-2009, 12:37 PM
we always start our trip at mk and head to tommorrowland for cop

T-Belle
01-14-2009, 12:58 PM
We always start at Magic Kingdom and then at some point we leave to have breakfast at Kona Cafe! While we may order different food we always have a bloody mary for my dd and a mimosa for me!:tasty: We toast to our tradition and to a fun vacation.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-14-2009, 04:34 PM
We always start at MK, have lunch at Casey's and then head to Fantasyland :)

cinderellagrl
01-14-2009, 06:29 PM
We always begin our trip at the MK, always.....

for about the past five trips the first thing we do is run to Peco's Bill to fill our tummies and prepare for the rest of what has already been a long day (traveling).

I am always full of energy as soon as I see the castle, and fortunately everyone else in the family plays along!

conwayjohn71
01-14-2009, 07:11 PM
We fly in around 11

check in a drop off the non essentials and head for the TTC so we can take the Ferry across to MK, same as I did with my parents,

then we play 1 potato, 2 potato and which ever kid wins picks the first ride

funny how oldest d wins or tricks the younger 1 to ride the HM first

For me it is the Ferry ride across the lagoon that gets me in the Disney spirit, i usually look up to heaven and talk to my dad for a second and just remember how bad i was as a kid and try to have the Patience for the week to deal with 2 little one going 90 mph and asking even more questions than usually

Iluvpooh
01-14-2009, 07:25 PM
We always head to MK, go to Main Street Bakery and grab a table out front and people watch.
So please if you want to yell at your kids-don't do it in front of MSB from Feb 6th-15th:thedolls: It always messes up my day.:(

Giggy
01-15-2009, 10:12 AM
First day in the parks is Magic Kingdom for us. Once we get in we jump on the Walt Disney World Railroad (officially our first ride) and head to Mickey'sToontown Fair. We have a look around Mickey's and Minnie's houses and Donald's boat. We then start our mission to ride every rollercoaster at WDW with Goofy's Barnstormer.

Then after a brief detor for the teacups we move on to Tomorrowland. We get a fastpass for Space Mountain, possibly get lunch and then do the various rides there.

From then on there is less pattern, we may go through Fantasyland for the various rides there or may go to Fronteirland for the other mountains.

FenwayGirl
01-15-2009, 11:14 AM
DHS...Mama Melrose...Fantasmic

Diznee4Me
01-15-2009, 11:45 AM
MK first - usually something from the Main Street Bakery to kick it off!:thumbsup:

grumpyguy
01-15-2009, 12:00 PM
for sentimental resons our only first day tradition is making peter pan our first attraction.after that anything goes!!!:thumbsup:

squijee
01-16-2009, 09:37 AM
We usually walk down mainstreet then head to dumbo. Take a quick ride and then grab something from the bakery. Around 4 we head for the monorail and Epcot. Ride Soarin' then head to Big River Grille to eat and see the best waiter ever - Antonio!!!!! 7 Days!!!!!!!!!:mickey::figment::mjump::dumbo:

Tinkerbellrulz
01-16-2009, 07:41 PM
we are also going back in may and we love to first hit magic kingdom my son leads us to tomorrow land and buzz is our first ride :thumbsup:

Tink#64
01-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Arrival day we always go to DTD, but our first park day is always MK! We head to Tomorrowland & BL 1st! I've tried to change this, but my family won't hear of it! It's all tradition for us! :)

Marceline
01-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Check-in, grab lunch at the resort, explore and relax until the room is ready.

The family tradition (so says me) is to head to EPCOT first and ride the glorious Spaceship Earth....so glorious I shall not abbreviate it. heh:D

Then dinner in the WS and cap the night with Illuminations. Ahhhhhhh! :cloud9:

goofy78
01-16-2009, 11:00 PM
so many favorite rides and too much excitement to be disappointed if i don't stick to my plan, however, i always go for adventureland for some potc then it's off to frontierland for some thunder and splash, then i go pay my respects to my dear departed brother dave!!!! :mickey:

LovinWDW
01-17-2009, 12:04 AM
We do the same thing on every trip for the first day. Catch the earliest flight out of Phila, usually 7am. Have quicksilver pick us up in Orlando. Head to the resort we are staying at, check in, grab lunch, hit the pool, shower up and head to DTD for dinner at Wolfgang Pucks and a bit of shopping. Early to bed for a good nights sleep and up early for the MK rope drop. Can't wait for July!

Mr. Incredible
01-17-2009, 01:14 AM
Our first park is always MK. First ride is usually Space Mountain, although that won't be possibel when we go in May.

AdventurerKim
01-17-2009, 08:39 AM
We always eat at Le Cellier for dinner on our first full day at WDW. We always arrive on a Friday night, and on Saturday go to either EPCOT or DHS/MGM (it will always be MGM to me!) and to MK on Sunday. On November trips, we do lunch at Mama's Melrose's one day and lunch at Les Chefs de France one day and on Spring/Summer trips, we do lunch at Sci-Fi. The rest of the week is whatever we want! :mickey:

CzepielCrew
01-17-2009, 09:02 AM
We unpack, check out the resort and go to see Illuminations that night.

crazypoohbear
01-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Lately it's been Magic Kingdom, Pirates, Peco's Bill's for lunch then the barber shop for hair cuts for the boy's. They always wait to get hair cuts there because it's the best haircut in the world, the real world not just disney!!

Soul_Power
01-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Well, we've only been to WDW one time, but there are a few things that we know that we're going to make traditions from now on (including our trip in December).
On our first day, we do not hit the parks because we're tired from our flight from California. We have our first official WDW meal at POP, explore at Downtown Disney, and have dinner at a resort.
321 more days and counting!

Mickey91
01-17-2009, 03:52 PM
It depends on what time we arrive and if we are going to a party.

If we get in around dinner time, we have pizza at Pop and then go to downtown Disney for a while or swim at the resort. Our First day at the parks is always MK and we usually drive in, ride the tram and the fairy boat. Then we go straight to IASW.

LoriMistress
01-18-2009, 05:56 PM
It depends on which day we arrive. When we first arrive on WDW property, after checking into our room, we normally check out the resort that we're staying at, visit DTD and eat dinner at one of the restaurants there. On our first trip, our first day was Epcot. On our last trip we visited MK first. We'll probably visit MK during our first official day in the parks. We normally hit SM first.

kemps@wdw
01-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Since we drive down, our 1st day (or 1/2 day) is spent @ DTD. We stay @ one of the hotels there our 1st night, and spend the evening eating, shopping, and just hanging out and relaxing.That way, we can check in to our resort EARLY the next AM! This allows us the opportunity to confirm our special requests, leave our luggage, and head on over to MK for the morning. We head to Adventureland first, then Frontierland, Liberty Square, and thru Fantasyland. We usually finish our "1st round" by noon, and head back to our resort to get into our room (which is always ready). We get unpacked, do our grocery shopping, and plan our afternoon/evening plans (if we don't have ADRs). Then head out around 3-4 pm to our "2nd round". We like to be back @ our resort somewhere around 8-9m for a little swim time before turning in!:thumbsup:

pcoleman
01-18-2009, 07:15 PM
We usually arrive around lunch time so we check in and head to evergreens by the pool for lunch then its off to MK and POTC and HM. Then we settle in and take a look at what we want to do then.

mickeyluv
01-18-2009, 07:24 PM
For us, we aren't really in WDW until we get to the MK. We went to a different park upon arrival on one trip and it just didn't feel right. Now we always head right to the MK and go on our favorite ride, BTM.

GhostHost999
01-19-2009, 10:42 PM
This may sound strange, but when my family and I go...our first night we always go to Epcot, and we always make it a point to hit Spaceship earth at the start and end of the evening. Not sure how it started, but it's our thing. :mickey:

Going back in JULY '09!!!

EeyoresBestFriend
01-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Every trip has always started at MK and the POTC! And yah ~ we are generally the first ones at the Dolewhip stand too!! If given the option we approach by boat, especially if we are touring with First Timers ~ I can't think of anything more magical than an introduction like that to WDW.:pixie:
316 more days!!:cloud9::woohoo:

kid@heartforever
01-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks everybody for sharing your first day "traditions"! I love hearing all the different ways we celebrate our first days!:mickey: Thanks again!

Septbride2002
01-25-2009, 09:53 AM
We usually land mid afternoon - do the grocery thing at get settle at the BWV. We do what Chloe needs to do - so if she needs a nap and rest we do that - if she needs to run off some energy we do that.

Since discovering that BWV is "our resort" we tend to hit Epcot the first night - it is so easy to walk over there do a few things and if Chloe is to crabby to stay in the parks late it is so easy to walk right back to the resort.

~Amanda

Charlee
01-25-2009, 12:22 PM
For my family it has always been wake up early, head for the bus to the Magic Kingdom, have a slow wander down Main Street, taking in the "wow, now we're really in Disney World feeling" and walk towards Pirates! I don't feel like we're arrived until I'm on Pirates!