PDA

View Full Version : benadryl or NiQuil ?

DlandMommy
01-12-2009, 08:19 PM
We took DS18 months to the drs today for his check up and shots:ill:All went well and after we asked our pediatrician if there was something we could give DS for the plane ride next week:mickey:She told us to try Benadryl even gave us a dosage or NiQuil she said to try both before we leave to see which is more effective:DI tried Benadryl last trip and it didnt work She said it might work better now that hes older.But Ive never tried NiQuil....Just wondering if any of you parents have had luck with either:thumbsup:

bob6572
01-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Going the same time as you with DD18 months. What dosage did she recommend??

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Try the benadryl BEFORE you leave because some kids become WIRED!!! With Bendadryl.
Nyquil, same thing...try it first. They are relying on the antihistimine in either to make the child sleepy. Always start with the lowest recommended dose on the box or as recommended by your doctor. Good luck I fondly remember those ages. My children - are no longer small.

DlandMommy
01-12-2009, 09:09 PM
She told me to get Benadryl Elixir and the dosage for his weight which is 26 pounds was 12.5mg or 5ml so she said give him a tad more at 6ml.And the NiQuil she said to give him a quarter of what is listed for a 12 year old:thumbsup:Any other ?s you can PM me:mickey:

DlandMommy
01-12-2009, 09:14 PM
I forgot to mention she said to use adult NiQuil she said the difference between kids and adult strenth was adults has alcohol;):thumbsup:

dolphinmickey9170
01-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I used just Benadryl for our DGD and it didn't work alone. She still fussed and cried. Tugged at her ears. The next flight, I used Motrin and Benadryl together, worked well. She didn't fuss, she fell asleep and had to pain in her ears.

Good luck and have a great time.

DlandMommy
01-12-2009, 09:43 PM
I used just Benadryl for our DGD and it didn't work alone. She still fussed and cried. Tugged at her ears. The next flight, I used Motrin and Benadryl together, worked well. She didn't fuss, she fell asleep and had to pain in her ears.

Good luck and have a great time.

That sounds good:number1:I used only Benadryl last trip and he cried for 3 hours :-oI was so embarrased:blush:The dr did say to give him something to **** on during take off and landing and his ears should be fine:thumbsup:

DlandMommy
01-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Ok so you cant use the word that babies do for drinking bottles:blush:Thats funny:D

Luv Eeyore
01-13-2009, 12:14 PM
I would try out both before you travel - both of my nieces get wired by both benadryl and niquil. What does work for them, however, is dramamine. As always, though I'd check with my pediatrician for dosage info first.

DlandMommy
01-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Ok last night i tried the NiQuil and he didnt fall asleep but got really really mellow.:cloud9:Tonight I was gonna try Dramamine but thats pill form and I almost lost a finger:thedolls:So were trying the Benadryl tonight:DI will see what happens:mickey:

DlandMommy
01-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Benadryl took 20 Minutes and hes asleep:thumbsup:Benadryl wins!!!

teambricker04
01-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Isn't that funny how it works?!?!? I have never tried it. Glad your test worked... what a relief!

If you have any ear problems, I found some airplane earplugs for kids. I bought them at the airport, but have seen them online at baby supply sites. They really work... I was shocked and surprised. Now only if little ones keep them in, right?!?!