PDA

View Full Version : Unused points?

DisneyHoneymooners
01-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Fairly new to DVC and I'm unsure of what to do. We currently have 115 pts. that were booked from our 2008(june) use year. I know that I have to use these points prior to June, 09. We have already booked this years trip and cant make another trip:(. I was wondering what are my options for these points, I hate to just lose them. I've seen mention of borrowing, renting and selling points but what does all that really mean and how do you go about it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DizneyRox
01-12-2009, 12:20 PM
You probably want to bank them. You need to call Member Services andrequest that they be banked. You have a while to do that (I think 8 months from your Use Year Month) so I would just hang tight.

If you bank them, they become 2010 points. They CAN NOT be pulled back to be used in your 2009 use year and WILL EXPIRE if you don't use them in 2010.

You have other options though too. You can borrow them into 2008 and use them to upgade your accomodation if you wanted to, extent your stay, etc. You can also rent them out, they can fetch about $10-$11 a point. You would make reservations for someone else and they can vacation with them. It normally covers your dues for that year and a little extra for your trouble.

If it were me, I'd just sit tight right now. You want to bank them rather than lose them, but there may be other useful uses for them as well.

DisneyHoneymooners
01-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Oops, I said booked but these points were banked from our 08 use year. Do you have any more info on renting them out?

missalabama
01-12-2009, 01:57 PM
well if you can't figure out anything else to do with them you can give them to me :cool:

Ian
01-12-2009, 02:14 PM
I'd suggest Googling "renting DVC points." I know there are a lot of websites out there dedicated matching renters and those looking to rent.

DizneyRox
01-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Oops, I said booked but these points were banked from our 08 use year. Do you have any more info on renting them out?
Yeah, that changes everything. You probably want to rent those out. They will be usable starting in June and must be used (traveled) by June 2010. I wouldn't be terribly upset losing a few points, but over 100? That's a lot.

Aurora
01-12-2009, 05:24 PM
You didn't say how many points you're using for your booked trip for this year or when you're traveling.

If you banked 115 points from 2008, DVC uses banked points first for your reservation. So if you're traveling before the end of your use year and you're using more than 115 points (which would be the banked ones), you're OK.

I'm assuming this is not the case, but just wanted to bring that up in case it is.