PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when the parks first open

Itchy
01-11-2009, 05:05 PM
As many time as I have been to DW and waited at the gates like everyone else when they drop the rope do you run with the crowd or hang back and take it all in.

I know that most want to be on a particular ride first and not fight the crowd, but you know even though I do not run to a popular attaction I still get on with little wait. What do you do and what do you think about this? :scratch:

Are you a runner?:walk:

mouseketeer mom
01-11-2009, 07:07 PM
The only time we were runners, was when we hightailed it to TSM at rope drop. It was exciting and fun to be caught up in that moment, but I would not make a habit of it. Not on every trip, just for a few select special things I suppose.

TinyDancer
01-11-2009, 09:50 PM
I would say that 95% of the time we are the extreme first people on the ride, or at least on the first ride cycle. We don't run, we Disney Walk!!! And yes, that term is used in our daily vernacular. We also "drop it down" which means "drop it into Disney gear"!!! We're very serious about park opening.

Oh yeah, we also have a "Disney Manuever"!!!

sportsguy2315
01-11-2009, 11:32 PM
My Disney run list:
MK: Space Mountain
Epcot: Test Track
DHS: Haven't done TSM, but probably that
AK: Everest
DL: Nemo
DCA: TSM

CaptSmee
01-12-2009, 12:39 AM
It's more like a crawl than a run, but:

MK: Peter Pan's Flight

Epcot: Soarin

DHS: TSM

AK: Safari

AmandaChan
01-12-2009, 02:38 AM
Husband and I don't typically run but we do have an agenda. We usually go for a fastpass first then go do something bigger that has a long wait. For example at AK we get a fastpass for Everest first then go to the Kilamanjaro Safari.

MOJoe
01-12-2009, 09:49 AM
On our last trip my 14 yr old son and i ran to Space Mountain, RocknRoller Coaster and Everest. We were chastised each time by cast members yelling at us, "No running in the parks!" I'm sorry, but i kept running and laughing at myself all the way. :D

Luv Eeyore
01-12-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't quite know how I do it, but I seem to be able to both run and take it all in at the same time - except for AK. There is just too much to see to take it all in when running, and we always have the argument over who's getting the fastpasses for EE and who's getting getting in line for the safari.

Disney Doll
01-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Not a runner here. It just seems silly to me. I mean like the OP said I still get on with practically no wait so why bother running?

buzznwoodysmom
01-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Considering we've always had to stop and get a stroller we never bother running. We did have an early Crystal Palace breakfast at MK and were able to be at rope drop near fantasy land. My youngest wanted to try to be the first in Tinkerbell's shop to wake her. We were the only people waiting near the rope for the longest time. Everyone else in the area seemed to either be going to BBB or CRT. Unfortunately a little girl arrived at the rope moments before rope drop and a nice CM who we had been chatting with asked the little girl if she'd like to wake Tink. My son was devastated. So instead we decided to try to be first in line for Peter Pan for him. We did a little jog and were indeed first in line. Other than that, no running for our family.

alilprincessmom99
01-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Running....NO WAY! We DO NOT run for anything at WDW, we try to take it all in. Honestly we have never had a problem getting on a ride because of not running. We walk and head straight for whatever suits our fancy at the moment. But running to an attraction, never!!!

AdventurerKim
01-13-2009, 01:33 PM
At MK, we speed walk to Buzz for fast passes and rides.

At DHS (MGM), we speed walk to Toy Story Mania for fast passes and a ride (now).

At EPCOT, we get Soarin' fast passes and then head to Test Track and Mission Space.

goofy89
01-13-2009, 01:41 PM
We don't run, we Disney Walk!!!

Agreed! :thumbsup: We definitely do NOT run for anything, but we do have a pretty brisk walk when heading for our favorite attractions at a park opening.

jpmsrivers
01-13-2009, 05:44 PM
We do the disneywalk...go to the main attraction we want to get done and then stop and take everything in. That way we don't feel like we might miss our ride and we don't feel rushed.:cloud9:

dtootsie42
01-13-2009, 06:11 PM
We are not runners. We like to take it all in and we have seen a couple of accidents (people running in to each other and falling, and others ignoring the people on the ground, reminded us of christmas shoppers) that cured the desire to run. The only time we ever picked up the pace was when we were in Disneyland and speed walked to Toy Story Mania.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand

beksy
01-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Ok, I'll admit it...I'm NOT a morning person and while I stay until closing I've only made it to one opening despite my best intentions. :blush: Next trip I am going to be there at openings and not half an hour later (and this is written with the best of intentions, we'll see if it or the snooze button win out!) and I don't run for anything (except when I'm late for a class!) so we will be watching everyone else and taking it all in. Eventually we'll get where we want to go.

cindchan
01-13-2009, 08:34 PM
I have run in the past, but aging has slowed me down quite a bit. Previous runs have been for:

Space Mountain - MK
Soaring - Epcot
Everest - AK

That's pretty much been it. Rides that can back up pretty quickly.

For the second two, I would run to get on, and then grab a fast pass either on the way in, or on the way out.

Giggy
01-15-2009, 09:29 AM
I don't think we've ever been there for opening time, when we do get there we don't tend to run but first visit to each park in a vacation we seem to have a pattern.

Magic Kingdom - get on the Walt Disney World Railroad and head for Mickey's Toontown Fair. meet Mickey and his friends, have a look around and start our list of rollercoasters to 'conquer' with Goofy's Barnstormer, then head for tomorrowland and get a Fastpass for Space Mountain. On returns later in the vacation we may take the train to Frontierland or maybe just walk to somewhere liek Adventureland.

Epcot - again no rush but in the past we have had a picture taken by the fountain at the front, then gone to Spaceship Earth. After this we then pick upa Fastpass for Testtrack at some point. We then explore future world first. World Showcase is then something we do in the evening.

MGM (as it was called when we last went) - slightly more of a rush, heading for Tower of Terror. We get a Fastpass if the queue is long, if not just go for it. After that is Rock & Rollercoaster. Though in future visits I'd imagine Toy Story Mania will be high on the list.

Animal Kingdom - No rush here, head for the Safari in the morning before it gets too hot and the animals get sleepy. Following on from this we have the Kali River rapids, we do these early so that there is time for the sun to come out and everyone to dry out. It's Tough to be a Bug is done in the middle of the day when it's getting a bit too hot. Also at the start of the day we like to get the character breakfast in at Donald's Restraunasaurus. Last time we went to WDW they were building Everest, I'd imagine in future this will be another one high on the list of things to do.

pamickeys
01-15-2009, 06:21 PM
not exactly sure cause we're still sleeping.

dolphinmickey9170
01-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Why, we walk in......HAHAHAHAHA! Sorry, couldn't resist.

We are not runners by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe for TSM in May, since we haven't ridden it yet, unbelievably.

We are strollers by nature, and like to take everything in. The sights, the sounds, the smells. I just adore walking down Main Street looking at everything, even though I've seen it already, but I still enjoy it. And the smells coming from the candy shop and the bakery. Yummy!! And that Main Street music loop, is to die for. I listen to live 365 quite often in the mornings (when I'm not working) and enjoy the Main Street Loop so I can get my fix. It's awesome!

KingKona
01-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Before we had kids, my wife and I would be up at nearly the crack of dawn to make it to the parks' opening (thanks to me :D --that's the Disney effect on me because I'm not a natural early morning person). I always find it necessary to maximize our days at Disney.

Anyway, We have sprinted at times to get to our favorite rides, but found that even if we got close to the rope and walked briskly, we avoided the lines.

Heck, we sprinted a couple of times to the double-decker character bus at Epcot to get pictures and see the characters jam. It was at that time we realized that we're extraordinary Disney nerds :balloon:, but we love it and are proud!

One of our favorite tricks is to always run to the transportation stops whether it's the bus stop, boat launch or the Monorail platform. We find many more times than not that we time the transportation perfectly and minimize our wait.

Disclaimer: we're always careful, will not compromise safety and will not scurry at the expense of rudeness!!

Goes4FastPass
01-16-2009, 04:33 PM
We hit headliner attractions that will have long lines later.

Contrary to my screen name, we DON'T get wrapped up in FastPasses the first 60-90 minutes a park is open! It's better to ride NOW then queue to get a FastPass then plan to return at the FP return time.

Once we've knocked off some "gotta dos" we can get a coffee and a roll and enjoy the atmosphere.

I've never understood why people feel the need to eat steam table eggs or sleep while attraction lines are going from 2 minutes to 20 minutes to 40 minutes to 60 minutes to no more FastPasses today...

hubbyofadisneyholic
01-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Hmmm, let's see...about the time the parks first open I roll over and tell myself only another 20 - 30 minute snooze and I'll get up and hop in the shower. Maybe...:blush:

I am on vacation for heaven's sake...why would I want to be up at the crack of dawn? I do that everyday for work, not at WDW.

Mickey will still be there at 10:30...or noon.:D

After more than 25 trips we have learned to relax and pace ourselves.:thumbsup:

Iluvpooh
01-16-2009, 06:25 PM
I always make park opening, but I have only run for an attraction 1 time. I was dying to be the first person to get on EE for the day. It was my first time to ride it and I really wanted the front seat. At the time, the park maps did not show the bridge near Donald's Breakfastasaurus on them so while everyone else was running toward Discovery Island to take the "long way" to Asia -I cut across the bridge and was indeed the first person there. Yes-There was a CM yelling at me to stop running, but I just kept going. It turned out I didn't need to run, I beat everyone else there by a LONG shot!!

Nurse Kim
01-17-2009, 12:35 PM
On my first trip with the kids we were only able to make one park opening and that was Epcot where we were chosen as family of the day. This was due to staying offiste. Since I will NEVER do that again on our return trip in
45 days :blush: we are planning to make every park opening at least once. We will be visiting 10 days and our visits are as follows: (of course this could change since it already has 50 times.)
MK 3 days
Epcot 2 days
BB 1 day
AK 1 day
DHS 2 days

Our arrival day will be spent at DTD and DQ. I have been trying to say off the boards because the more I look and read the more our plans change. My DH wants me to plan things and leave them alone. NO Changing unless we do it when we arrive of course. :thumbsup:

huzzah4
01-17-2009, 02:03 PM
What do we do when the rope drops? Wellllll, to be perfectly honest, we finish sleeping for another hour or so, then casually get ready and make our way to the buses. I have never seen the point in rushing about to see everything first, I would rather avoid the mad rush and take my time, I am, after all, on vacation, I have enough rushing around while I am at home. I go to WDW to relax, not to continue the rat race (you know that's the new word they have for it).

Pete Olsen
01-17-2009, 02:08 PM
We have "Disney Run" to EE, TSM & Soaring when they were new attractions. That was lots of fun. Normally, we like to soak it all in. No matter how many times we've been to the parks, everyday is unique. That's the magic of Disneyworld.

disneydeb
01-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Epcot - Soarin' and grab a fastpass then Test Trak

AK - Everest and grab a fast pass then Safari

MK - stroll and take in the atmosphere

DHS - TSM , grab a fastpass then Rockin' Rollercoaster, then ToT

I think I have done enough in MK to just enjoy it leisurely.

mom2mickeyfan
01-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Am I a runner??

Is something chasing me????

We are always there at the rope drop or ALMOST there but never run to anything. But that doesn't mean we just stroll along either. We just headed to our "must dos" without trying to get run over. We have a plan but don't stress about the things that don't happen. Especially since we always go during peak season.

rkwctw
01-17-2009, 08:04 PM
We do the Disney walk also and are there for EMH.
MK-SM but it will be closed this time.
Epcot-MS
DHS-either ToT of RnR
AK-EE
Love this topic.:mickey: