PDA

View Full Version : Pin prices too high?

disneycutie165
01-11-2009, 11:45 AM
When we went to WDW last Aug. we started collecting pins. But the thing was we only got about 5 or 6 because they are too high price. No offense to anyone, but being from a middle class family we don't have the money to trade pins. I bought a Prince Caspian and HSM pin and the total was $20.00 :spend:! Does anyone think that the pin prices are too high, especially during this recession :confused:?

vorpalswrd
01-11-2009, 12:13 PM
I know my mom bought a couple for my brother last time we were there in 2003. I have some interest in buying soem for myself when we go again in December but I am going to buy a grab bag of ebay for, let's say 15.00, which is like 7 pins or so. Then I can trade and be happy cause I know all about being middle class. But, yeah, I think teh price for a new pin in the park is out of my range. I plan on being a penny pressing collector next time as my main collecting ... collection.

FortheloveofStitch
01-11-2009, 12:40 PM
My dd grandmother got her hooked on pin trading 3 years ago. Once I saw the price of pins at the park I looked elsewhere. I got an e-mail from a pin place on friday that they had a new special of 25 pin grab bags for 1.65 a pin. I have purchased pins from there before and am very satisfied with assortment that is sent. The ironic part is we end up keeping at least half of the assortment because my dd likes them and doesn't want to trade them. It is well worth looking around the web for it, it is not e-bay.

DizneyRox
01-11-2009, 01:16 PM
I have long since given up on the pin collecting. As you mention, the prices are just too high. I have a ton of tradables from my hay day and if I happen across something on a CM lanyard, then I'll trade. I've done a little pn pinpics, but lately it's just not worth it to even try to keep up.

handmaidenofprincesses
01-24-2009, 05:54 PM
I love pin collecting (although I have never actually traded) but you're right, the prices are far too high! The cheapest pins I found on my vacation 2 weeks ago were at the Art of Disney store in Epcot- I found some that were $6.95 ea. Pretty sad when that seems like a great deal!

My mom bought me a Mulan pin that was $12.95!! That's double the price of the other pins! I'm sure Disney is making a tidy profit on pins, b/c it can't possibly cost that much to produce them.

q105birdman
01-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Try the disney character outlet store next to the building that housed Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede. I was there 2 weeks ago and they had an entire wall of pins that were priced at $3.99. There were even some Limited Edition pins mixed in. Happy hunting!!!!

MickeyMousse
02-15-2009, 01:04 PM
We just got back :mickey: and I noticed that the prices have increased on pins, too. This was the first trip that nobody bought any pins! Cheapest went for $6.95 up to $12.95! They had these "mystery package pins" where you receive 2 pins in a sealed package and it states "no returns/refunds/exhanges". I think it cost $9, but I don't think I'd want to take the chance on getting something cruddy!:ack:

LauraleeH
02-15-2009, 05:17 PM
I agree that it costs way too much! I didn't buy any pins the last 2 trips. The only ones I buy now are Halloween...I prefer to get them on ebay but most of the Halloween ones on ebay are way overpriced. Crazy!

Greenlawler
02-16-2009, 01:31 AM
We always spend a little on ebay for a lot of 50 pinsbefore our trip. The regular prices are just too dang high. Plus we get probably 5 or so keepers every time, and we have 45 pins to trade for the week.
We only buy pins if they feature characters we love, but only on our last day after combing the parks to trade for them. Seems like any regular pin selling at a store in the parks can be found on a lanyard if you look hard enough. Of course special addition pins arean exception, although we have traded for them as well.

JPL
02-16-2009, 12:20 PM
While I agree pin trading is an expensive hobby having taken part in it since it's inception. The prices have gone up along the lines of other merchandise in the parks. The trick is to limit the pins you buy to the ones you really like.

TinkRocks
02-16-2009, 11:13 PM
It is very easy to get 'carried away' with the pin trading, and the ol' bank account can't seem to get a break.

As JPL said - stick with pins you like, stick with a particular character or theme, or stick to buying a couple of pins per day. It is hard to resist adorable pins though, I must admit.

Sticking to a character can be a challenge either way - some characters seem to be everywhere (Fab 5, Tink, etc.), while others are somewhat difficult to find.

I usually like to purchase a pin that is memorable the specific trip I'm on (eg MVMCP pin, Flag Day, etc.).

If you're into the pin trading - purchase a grab bag of pins and interact with CMs. If you keep your eyes open, you can sometimes find a pin that you may not be able to purchase otherwise, or find a pin you've been looking for for a while. Pin trading is a good way to keep an interest in pins without spending an arm and a leg. If you search the internet, you can find some good deals on 'grab bags' - usually works out to a couple of dollars a pin.

Alternatively, if you live near a Disney outlet store, they have pins on sale for half price.

KylesMom
02-17-2009, 11:49 PM
I guess it all depends on what you do with the pins you buy. If you don't have the budget but want to trade, I highly recommend purchasing pins in the manners described above.

Back in 2000, we began a small collection of pins (that were priced around $4.95). Instead of "trading" these pins, we put them in a small shadow box as a keepsake.

Our pin collection started with a small few . . . but now, each vacation we spend roughly $150 for our "favorites" (not including the Star Wars collectibles). We purchase the high-quality pins and create a pin collage each trip to bring back memories of individual experiences. While we can't afford the fine works at Art of Disney, these are customized works of art for us!

While I expect that the markup on the pins is 75% or higher than what they actually cost to make, it is a HUGE money-maker for Disney . . . and some of the pins bring a nice sum in the secondary collectibles market.

Buy what you can afford, and hide for yourself any pins that have special meaning to you - don't hang them on the lanyard if you don't want to lose them!