PDA

View Full Version : Pooh's Playful Spot

disneykidsince1970
01-10-2009, 05:34 AM
I've seen a few opinions that this is a waste of space, etc. but... as the mom of a 2yo and a 4yo, I am thinking that we might use it!

Any opinions/thoughts from people who have taken their tots there?

thanks!

DisneyGlutton
01-10-2009, 07:00 AM
Since I have no tots, I can't really answer your question. However, I feel obligated to say that demolishing 20,000 Leagues for a playground (nicely themed as it is) is tantamount to treason, lol. I will say that at least the playground is better than the fence that used to be there.

tiggerbuddy
01-10-2009, 07:21 AM
I agree !!!
The Pooh place is cute for the little ones, But to
demolish a major attraction like 20K for it is treason !!:mickey::mickey:

disneykidsince1970
01-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Well I would certainly agree that trading 20,000 Leagues for a playground would be a travesty! However, 20,000 Leagues has been closed for a long, long time. Last time I was at MK, the area was a character meet & greet spot. A few years ago I went to the Very Merry Christmas Party and that was where we stood in line to meet Santa. So try not to let it fester - the playground had to be an after-afterthought. I miss 20,000 Leagues too and admit that I've given serious thought to buying a piece of its plastic "seaweed" on ebay... pathetic is me...

Nikki:mickey:

jensantuit
01-10-2009, 07:39 AM
We went to Pooh's Playful Spot when we were there in September with a 2 and 4 year old and they loved being able to run, climb and play. There is an area that has water fountains so a bathing suit or change of clothes might be needed. I think that your little ones will love it, it was a great way for the kids to burn off some energy. It made standing in line and sitting in the stroller a bit easier for my kids because they were able to run around for a little while.

DisneyGlutton
01-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Well I would certainly agree that trading 20,000 Leagues for a playground would be a travesty! However, 20,000 Leagues has been closed for a long, long time. Last time I was at MK, the area was a character meet & greet spot. A few years ago I went to the Very Merry Christmas Party and that was where we stood in line to meet Santa. So try not to let it fester - the playground had to be an after-afterthought. I miss 20,000 Leagues too and admit that I've given serious thought to buying a piece of its plastic "seaweed" on ebay... pathetic is me...

Nikki:mickey:

I know my beloved ride had been closed and eventually fenced off for years and that PPS is an afterthought...but that doesn't diminish my visceral disgust at the whole situation. It was Dad's and my favorite ride.

(Btw, I just went on eBay...wow, I wouldn't trust that the seaweed is real, though I kind of want to buy it anyway, lol. What I really want is the Piece of History Pin they mention!)

Ian
01-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Honestly ... and I may get flamed for saying it ... but I refuse to waste time with my kids at playgrounds in WDW.

They can play at a playground around the corner from my house. I don't fly 1,000 miles and spend $1,000 for them to go down sliding boards.

I agree it's a total waste of space.

DisneyGlutton
01-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Honestly ... and I may get flamed for saying it ... but I refuse to waste time with my kids at playgrounds in WDW.

They can play at a playground around the corner from my house. I don't fly 1,000 miles and spend $1,000 for them to go down sliding boards.

Again, I'm totless, but that would be my policy too unless the kids really wanted to. Same would go for the pool, but I know I will get flamed for that, lol.:secret:

Ian
01-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Oh, in regards to the seaweed ... if it's from Mouse Surplus I'd trust it, but if not steer clear. It's probably a fake.

mouseketeer mom
01-10-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm not a big playground person on vacation either..but when my kids were little, its a nice way for them to vent some of their energy and fool around for awhile. Its a place for some down time with the kids, running around, not standing in line..I think it serves its purpose!

mrmcgiv
01-10-2009, 10:08 AM
I have to say why spend all that time and money going to WDW , to go to a playground. We played at the playground at the resort when at the pool (csr) for a while, but I just do not see spending time there while at MK. We have playgrounds at home.

Having said that ..when we went in 5/07 my DD was 5, she wanted to go in so bad but we had no swimsuit...when we returned to MK she wore it under her clothes and went into pooh's playful spot. But she did not want to stay long, we were in and out in 10 miuntes. If it is there and your kids want to burn off some steam...go..but if it was gone..I think they could use the space better.

kid@heartforever
01-10-2009, 10:18 AM
When my 6yr. old was younger she did love the play area. It gave us a few min. to just sit and let her run for a little while! Little ones just need some down time, WDW can get very overwhelming for them.:mickey:

kathiep
01-10-2009, 11:23 AM
This wasn't high on my list either. I think the first time we went with our kids they explored for maybe 5-10 minutes and then were on to more exciting things. It was nice to take a quick breather but there are other ways to do that. We actually use Tom Sawyer Island to run around, take a break and blow off some steam. This space could be put to much better use.

g8rgirl29
01-10-2009, 11:26 AM
When DD was 3 she really enjoyed being able to actually get her hands on something. There was a little tree house and some other little things to play on. It has since been refurbished so I am not sure what else is there now. It had many shady areas so it was a great spot to sit and have a drink & snack and let her run around a bit. I agree that it is not the same as having a ride but it is nice having a place to let your toddler run off some steam without fear of them tripping somebody. We also enjoyed Ariel's Grotto. I say with a 2yo and 4 yo you may want to check it out when they start having the inevitable breakdown!! Plus great place for them to play while you wait for Pooh and Friends to appear in the character spot that is right in front of it.

alilprincessmom99
01-10-2009, 12:13 PM
My little one is 9, so I have to say that we have never taken advantage of the playground. But, I can imagine that if I had a 2 and 4 year old, I would want to use it to let them burn off some energy, and that is the perfect place to do it. You can sit back and take a breather while the little ones run around and burn off that extra energy they have from sitting in a stroller all day. Even if it is only 10 minutes, I think it would be worth it. The purpose of a vacation is to relax after all, and even if it isn't an "attraction" per se, it is still at WDW and would be worth the few minutes of relaxation!

DisneyKings
01-10-2009, 02:09 PM
You don't have to spend all day there, but look at it from the little one's perspective...How cool is it to be playing in the 100 acre woods where Pooh lives & plays? Our DD3 enjoyed it last year, but didn't spend a ton of time there, just explored it. They need time to be free & run around like kids, not just stand in line all day. It's a nice little break to at least check out.

DisneyNut2005
01-10-2009, 02:46 PM

Well, then, consider yourself a lousy parent. :razz:

ILoveLegos
01-10-2009, 02:51 PM
My 4 year old niece loved this place very much. I got some great video of her running around and acting like a kid in WDW! She liked climbing on stuff but she was crazy about the water area. My favorite video sequence that I got of her was trying to "catch" the dancing water - she got sprayed all over in the process and she giggled as only a little girl can - it was one of those magical moments and even watching the sequence now makes me chuckle!
I agree 20,000 leagues was a great memory - I liked it a whole lot when it was there and never missed a chance to ride it. But when I'm truthful to myself I remember the not so great side of the ride. Things like the fact that it was the longest hottest queue in MK , also towards the end of its run it needed some serious updating, the water was cloudy, the sub was cramped and not handicap excessible or a quick unload in case of a fire or emergency (a major theme park insurance nightmare I'm sure), if you allowed your eyes to drift upward - you could see the surface of the water inches above your window, the windows were foggy and that octopus didn't look too threatening or well on my last ride, sadly enough.
Maybe something like the update that was done in DL could work - just not nemo-izing the ride because it's been done a bit much in the parks imho. I dunno but pleaz don't shot me, I fondly remember the best parts of 20,000 leagues most of the time and it was the very first submarine I'd ridden in at age 7 after all(dive-dive-dive!). That said I think the playful spot is a whole lot better than the intermediate construction wall. :blush:

disneykidsince1970
01-10-2009, 05:34 PM
But when I'm truthful to myself I remember the not so great side of the ride. Things like the fact that it was the longest hottest queue in MK , also towards the end of its run it needed some serious updating, the water was cloudy, the sub was cramped and not handicap excessible or a quick unload in case of a fire or emergency (a major theme park insurance nightmare I'm sure), if you allowed your eyes to drift upward - you could see the surface of the water inches above your window, the windows were foggy and that octopus didn't look too threatening or well on my last ride, sadly enough.

Thanks for that - you made my sister and I LOL!!! :funny: (And we fully agree with you!)

We had no idea this would generate so much conversation! but... after reading all the posts, I think that it will likely be a great way for them to burn off some energy (I mean really...a 4 yo and a 2yo - they are going to "stand in line?" how does that even work?? ...for another post I guess!) and provide the grown ups with a few moments of respite too! It is nice to watch the kids be in a "kid-only" zone and not have to worry about them running into people... the Tom Sawyer island suggestion is a good one too! Thanks everyone!!

pcoleman
01-10-2009, 09:59 PM
I know I will get slammed for this but here goes nothing. Why do people insist on posting to peoples questions when do they not have an answer. She just wanted to know about the spot. 20,000 L i gone get over it. When my DD was younger this was a great spot. I can't believe people who drag their kids all through the parks with them crying and I have actually heard parents say "we didn't spend all this money for nothing". How can this be magical if people are tired and at their end. How many times have you heard to take some time to unwind. Pooh's spot is also a great place to view wishes with your kids. Its usually low crowds and by the time you get to the front of the park the crowds have empties.

SoaringEpcot
01-12-2009, 03:13 PM
My DS was 3 1/2 the last time we went, and it is one of the things he still talks about. He thought he was in the Hundred acre woods.

disneykidsince1970
01-12-2009, 03:59 PM
After having read all the replies again, I remembered that InfoCentral is probably also chocked full of info on the Spot. I just took a quick look - and the pix are great too!

:rocks:
*yea! to the teams that keep this updated!*:thumbsup:

And... my 3 yr old (will be turning 4 while we are there actually), is going to LOVE that place! My 2 yr old will as well - and if he can get wet, all the better!

I think this is another example of Disney having something for everyone - I, too, would love a kick-a** Little Mermaid ride or another awesome coaster, even a decent sit-down restaurant for when I go to the parks sans-kiddos, etc. ..but, the fact is that up and coming Disney freaks (er, um, fans) have to start somewhere...and coasters just don't do it for them....but little playgrounds do!

Perhaps not all...but I can imagine that many many toddlers enjoy the Playful Spot. And, as the parent of a toddler thinking about exactly how to maximize the enjoyment out of our vacation, I am happy for the option!

Mammabruski
01-12-2009, 05:38 PM
We were there in November with my 22 month old DD and we were lucky enough to have the whole "playground" to ourselves. There really isn't all that much to do. The Tree playhouse and a little slide were the highlights for her. Since it was barely 50 degrees out, we didn't use the water feature (which seemed to be the best part of the playground). She played for about 10 minutes and then was bored. I think it was good for her to get out of her stroller and run around in a controlled area, but its not much of a playground. I would not have waited in line at all (if there had been one) and I probably would've found somewhere else for her to safely run around and burn off some energy. Now the Boneyard at AK, that's another story. . . it is totally worth it, especially if your child loves slides!

Disney Doll
01-12-2009, 05:51 PM
We're looking forward to using the playground on our next trip. I know that DS will not want to sit in a stroller all day and even though it does seem kinda silly to be spending time on a playground at WDW I try to remember that it is DS's vacation too. We try to incorporate something fun for everyone and I am happy to spend a few minutes there. We're not comando vacationers and I like that we have a spot to take a break with our little guy.

I liked 20,00L just as much as the next person, but it was time for something new. I wouldn't mind seeing something better than Pooh's playful spot, but since it's what we have I'll use it.

avantgardeinker
01-13-2009, 10:44 AM
My DD (2 at the time) LOVED this spot. We had a really hard time dragging her away to go ride rides in Fantasyland. DH and I ended up leaving her there with her grandmother and went to a few attractions on our own.

327 more days!!
:mickey:

brdavis
01-13-2009, 10:59 AM
I've actually spent several hours, all told, in PPS. No, it's not what I'd do as an adult, but I'm going with my family, so sometimes I have a choice: hang onto a 2 y.o., standing around outside a ride waiting for the Child-swap pass, or letting the *child* have some fun as long as we're waiting. Yes, my instinct is to do everything all the time; I'm one of the ones opening the park even if it's pouring rain (some of my fond memories, actually), and I've watching the birds come in to roost at AK etc. (& much later elsewhere). But if I'm trying to do that with a very young child, I find *I'm* much happier when they are happy.

Points about PPS. Fun Hidden Mickeys (and a *great* hidden submarine, for you 20k fans), inside the tree at least used to be air conditioned (ever seen five adults crowd into the Tree?), drinking fountains, water play (but not quite as wet as the Grotto), and a well controlled exit. Good shade as well. Mine are DS 11, DD 7, and DD 4, and I'd say for 4 & under it's a good place to kick back when the kids need it... or sit in the shade while the really young ones sleep in the stroller.

--
Brian Davis

--
Brian Davis

tgmousechick
01-13-2009, 02:52 PM
DD was 3.5yo when we went last, and she had a wonderful time there. It's not like we spent all day there- 15-20 minutes a couple of times, maybe? I have some adorable pictures of her exploring the area, so I consider it worth it.

We'll probably spend some time there on our next trip as well, since DS will be 2- it would be perfect for him.