PDA

View Full Version : Driving to parks

armmh
01-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Heading down in June for our first trip!!! :D-Driving from Michigan.
We are staying at CBR. Should we drive to the parks or use the transportation? We have a 9 and 5 yr old.
Thanks for your help. I have no cool icons because I am really computer illiterate!!

JPL
01-09-2009, 09:58 PM
First off!

:welcome: to Intercot!!

Transportation coming home from the parks can be a pain at times depending on crowds and bus availability. The only park where the the buses are really more convenient is the Magic Kingdom since you bypass the Ticket and Transportation Center which means you don't need to take the parking lot tram and Monorail or boat to reach the main entrance. So my advice would be to drive to all the other parks and take the bus to the Magic Kingdom.

MickeysEars
01-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Welcome!

DRIVE!!! The busses in the evening after you have been walking all day makes you worse than Grumpy! Like the last post we too are considering the bus for MK just to bypass the TTC, but DD and DS love the Monorail...so...I guess I just decided...Car. Free parking and you know you will get a seat!

skisurf2
01-09-2009, 10:17 PM
I always take Disney only transportation. I love parking the car and not seeing it again until I leave. The only time you will have problems is when the parks close due to large crowds leaving at once. Orlando is a traffic jam during those times. Give the buses a shot first day or two and see if you like it since it is your first visit. I have been to Disney over 20 times and truly never drive my own car unless going to Downtown Disney. And let your kids take the Monorail, it is something they will always remember. Try to seat up front once.

jensantuit
01-09-2009, 10:18 PM
We have never rented a car or driven to Floria so I can only speak from the experience of using the bus transportation. After our experience last September, we have decided to rent a car from now on to get back and forth from the parks. We found the busses were very crowded both getting to and from the parks, and seemingly long waits to get on a bus. Almost every evening we would have to hold a sleeping child and stroller while standing (we have a 2 and 4 year old). My husband and I have always used the busses ever since we started going to Disney together however, over the past couple years the bus transportation seems to be going downhill in my opinion. Maybe when our children are older and can (safely) stand on their own we would think about using the busses again.

SandmanGStefani24
01-09-2009, 10:40 PM
i vote drive! :car:

I have used both the WDW shuttles and a rental and I highly recommend the car. Thing is, when you have your vehicle, you can come and go as you please. With shuttles, you have to wait to go, and return. With kids in tow, you are looking at some grumpy, tired, and irritable companions in a long line to get back to the resorts. At least in the car they can sleep while you make the short drive back. Plus, let's not forget yourselves. You can spend time waiting for the busses, or at the poolside bar, or even better, in bed sleeping! :cloud9:

Welcome to Intercot, and enjoy your trip! Hope my 2 cents help!

hubbyofadisneyholic
01-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Unless we have to leave the grounds for some reason I like to drop my keys on the dresser when we arrive and not touch them again until we are ready to head home.

I spend a minimum of 90 minutes a day driving back and forth to work. It is a 1200+ mile drive for us each way to WDW. While we are there I am quite content to sit back and let someone else do the driving. If it takes a few extra minutes, so what? I am on vacation. Isn't the idea to relax and unwind???;)

JPL
01-10-2009, 12:31 AM
If it takes a few extra minutes, so what? I am on vacation. Isn't the idea to relax and unwind???;)

The problem is that lately the buses have been terrible and often very stressful especially standing in long lines at the end of the day. So it can be more like it takes an extra hour or 2.

kakn7294
01-10-2009, 02:45 AM
We prefer the Disney buses. I'm on vacation and more than happy to allow someone else to do the driving, even if it means standing in a line for a bus at the end of the evening. For the most part, I've always found the buses to be fairly tolerable and I've never really seen the need to drive myself. And I've never run across the situation where the buses have taken an extra hour or two beyond what getting to your own vehicle and getting out of the parking lots would take.

gueli
01-10-2009, 03:21 AM
Be flexible. See how the transportation is. Because of cutbacks the busses could be a nightmare, or they could be totally convienent.
our last trip- which was some time ago, we stayed at a monorail resort & thought the transportation system was great. Staying at a moderate- I would tend to believe that you would have an easier time navigating in your own car.
If you have 'AAA' there are supposed to be close parking spots (provided they are not filled) in their special area of the lots.

I agree with the others about Magic Kingdom. But it will also depend on when you intend on leaving the park, because at the end of the day...

Either way- Welcome and have a great trip
:mickey:

KevMcNJ
01-10-2009, 08:20 AM
we used our car to get around WDW last year.

Much easier. Youre not subject to someone elses schedule.

Some busses are pleasnt in the middle of the day to get from one park to another as they are usually 25% full.

End of the night when they are 110% full they are less than pleasnat.

Alsoo, many very tired kids make for a loud and long ride back to yuor resort

jakeybake
01-10-2009, 10:20 AM
We always rented a car and found it to be the way to go. There is nothing worse than a long day at the parks and coming out to a huge bus line. We only stay at the Beach Club now so a rental really isn't needed thanks to the location but definitely go with a car.

IMHO each minute/hour is precious on a WDW vacation so the less amount of time you spend waiting around the better. Taking your own vehicle to the parks allows you to maximize the time you have.

Jay

barnaby
01-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Another vote for driving yourself.
I like being able to come and go as I please.

kathiep
01-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Drive, drive, drive. I couldn't imagine waiting for a bus with 2 hot, cranky kids after a long day in the parks. I can't tell you how many times we've gotten our kids into their car seats and they are asleep before we make it back to the hotel. I don't think this would happen on a bus. It makes for a nice break. It's also nice to have some control over where you're going when. A lot less planning is involved.

DizneyRox
01-10-2009, 11:28 AM
My vote is to use the Disney transport when you can.

I used to drive, I love to drive, but really, here's the issue. You don't know where you're going. Neither does many of the other people out there, which makes for some trying times on the roads. It not anyone's fault really, it's just the nature of the beast.

Everyone else has valid points, lately the transport has been a little iffy, BUT, they do run the busses, they know where they are going and I very rarely see the busses involved in an accident.

That's just my opinion, but I have saved a ton of money not renting a car lately and I really don't have much desire to go back to driving on vacation.

alilprincessmom99
01-10-2009, 12:07 PM
My vote is for WDW transportation. It is so nice to put the keys away and not see your car until it is time to leave! We have never really experienced major problems with the busses, so that is why I sway towards WDW transportation. Of course, I have never been in June, July or August, so I can't really speak for those times!

armmh
01-10-2009, 03:33 PM
All great points of view. At least I now feel comfortable just trying it out...maybe letting it depend on time of day, where we are going...
Good input though, I am a bit of a control freak so we will probably drive :mickey:
Thanks again so much! What a GREAT site!!!

DizneyRox
01-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Of course, I have never been in June, July or August, so I can't really speak for those times!
I've never had a problem for the July 4th holiday. That's our vacation week.

ParkMan
01-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Another vote for the buses!

Something about being completely taken care of adds to the Disney magic for me. Once I step in a car (especially my car), it seems a bit like I'm back in the real world.

Sure, you have to wait for the buses. For us, the waits only until the next bus arrives. It's only at the end of the night that I sometimes have to wait for a second bus to arrive.

And yes, they can be crowded. A nice side benefit of a crowded bus is it's a good opportunity to chat with your fellow park goers.

Even with these factors, I figure it's a small price to pay to gain a bit more Disney magic!

tiggerandpooh63
01-11-2009, 08:47 AM
We've always used the Disney transportation system and been very big proponents of it, but based on discussions with friends who've been there recently, and talk on this board, we're going to try renting a car this year. Given the money we're saving with the promotion they're running in January, we thought it would be the time to try it.

T-Belle
01-11-2009, 10:23 AM
I've done both, My car & Disney transport, and while there pro's and con's for both I wanted to let you know what happened to us. Since your staying on Disney property you'll be entitled to EMH. On one visit we planned to go to AK during the early morning extra hour and mistakenly drove our car instead of the bus. We were stopped at the parking lot gate along with everyone else that drove while the Disney busses were aloud to go on in. Needless to say we missed that magical hour. So now if we go to any park for morning EMH we take Disney transport.

disneyworld55925592
01-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Drive to most places. Maybe take the bus to MK because the parking lot is far out and kind of a pain. You have to get on the monorail and everything. Welcome to Intercot have fun!

Seasonscraps
01-11-2009, 10:32 AM
I vote for drive to the parks. I don't even mind the tram situation at the MK. It's so nice to by-pass bus lines, get in your car and go. No lines. No crowds. A guaranteed seat.

Disney roads have excellent signage so we never had an issue getting lost. The traffic is the same as it would be if you are on the bus.

It also makes dinner at other resorts easier - you can go straight from the park to another resort for dinner then back to your own resort without transferring at downtown disney.

mdhiggin
01-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Great question! It really just depends on your preference. If you can find your way around the world, which can be confusing, a car is faster. Our friends always drove, while we took the bus, and always beat us back.

We prefer the buses, because we don't have to touch our car, try to find our way around or to park or anything. Vacation to us means no driving even if it takes a little longer.

The wait for the bus isn't usually more than 15 min. Sometimes it shows up right when you come out. Sometimes we see it there before we're at the stop and our whole family of five has to race to it past all the people waiting for another park. So exciting! We're all laughing by the time we get there.

Anyway, if you decide to take the buses and stay until park closing, you might want to hang around the park and shop. Give the others a little time to leave before venturing out. The main shop in each park is open an hour after the park closes. It does get busier then but they also send more buses at that time to keep up.

hubbyofadisneyholic
01-11-2009, 12:44 PM
The problem is that lately the buses have been terrible and often very stressful especially standing in long lines at the end of the day. So it can be more like it takes an extra hour or 2.

The only time we see lines anywhere near that bad is at MK closing; and then only for certain resorts.

Really, it is fine with me that some people choose to drive. It makes my bus line just that much shorter.

As far as wait times for buses...timing is everything. Last June we had several pretty long waits @ OKW. Obviously we had just missed the bus we wanted. To the family that walked up just as the bus pulled in the wait time was great. ;)

tinksmom02
01-11-2009, 01:32 PM
We rented a car for our first three trips, and used Disney transportation on the last one. Parking was never really an issue for us, even at MK, but we'd had the AAA package with the card for Diamond Lot parking, which is really close. And it was nice being able to come and go as we wanted. Also came in handy when DD got sick and we had to go to the Urgent Care center.

However, using transportation was a nice break from driving (well, for DH--there was no way I was trying to navigate WDW roads!). He can sit back and relax, have more than 1 :marg: in Epcot, and leave the driving to someone else. Again, no real problems except for the night we closed MK and the MNSHHP. And, we were traveling with friends who had a little one in a stroller; if it had been just our little family, we would've hopped in a cab those few times.

We're planning on using Disney transport again in Sept and will gladly spring for a cab ride or 2 if the lines are too crazy for us.

Each way of getting around has its pros and cons. You could give transport a try for a day or two, and then use your car if you don't care for it.

armmh
01-11-2009, 09:34 PM
I've done both, My car & Disney transport, and while there pro's and con's for both I wanted to let you know what happened to us. Since your staying on Disney property you'll be entitled to EMH. On one visit we planned to go to AK during the early morning extra hour and mistakenly drove our car instead of the bus. We were stopped at the parking lot gate along with everyone else that drove while the Disney busses were aloud to go on in. Needless to say we missed that magical hour. So now if we go to any park for morning EMH we take Disney transport.

Wow, that is great to know! That may completely determine when we drive or use the bus. Either way, I just CANNOT wait for our trip:clappy:

thejens
01-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Wow, I seem to recall driving to EMH without a problem??? I am usually a proponent of public transportation, but I do have vivid memories of waiting and waiting for the bus. The problem is a little waiting getting to the park isn't so bad, but when you are hot and tired and the kids are whining and want you to hold them... I am staying at AKL and I plan to drive to the park every day. Now, I do plan to ride the monorail just for fun. When I stayed at the Poly we used the monorail for every thing we could, but had to take the busses for HS and AK.

jszczur5
01-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Drive. Much better for your kids (and you) if they are exhausted at the end of the day.
Faster too. Statistically they say that it is faster to drive to anywhere but MK over the Disney Transportation. But we have the AAA Diamond Parking Pass so we part right beside the handicapped lot, which means you can walk to the front gates. We still find it slightly faster to get to MK.
And, it is so much more convenient if you are dining at one of the other resorts. Travel time from your resort to another require a trip to the terminal at MK, and then a bus transfer there. Concierge advises budgeting up to 90 minutes to get from resort to resort. 10 minutes in your car.
Furthermore, the buses are filled with cranky, sweaty, under-deodorized mobs at the end of the day, who are at their least civilized. And that's just the adults!! No thanks.

bxrluv
01-18-2009, 02:42 PM
After reading all of this, I'm considering renting a car for our trip in 3 weeks because we also need to get ourselves to Port Canaveral after. I just emailed my local AAA office of which I am a member. I did not book through them though so I'm not sure if I can get that parking pass. My question is, how do get a cab at the end of the day? I'm also wondering as many posts that I've read about people jumping in line at the last minute..I've never seen where anybody calls them on it. I understand that nobody wants to start a fight but at least, "excuse me, there is the end of the line". No wonder people think they can just behave this way.

Yvette
01-19-2009, 08:58 AM
My two cents: I've done it both ways.

If it were me, I would do what one of the first posters said. Take the bus to MK maybe because you go right to the gate. I do however, recommend leaving MK prior to closing as the mass exodus is painful in the extreme.

The only other park I might take the buses to is AK since there isn't quite the craziness at closing as the other parks. Since there's no fireworks, people leave in spurts.

Now I'm a control freak and stay at either a monorail or EPCOT resort. :D I like having the car just in case I feel like driving.

bxrluv
01-21-2009, 12:12 AM
:confused:So, can anybody tell me if there are cabs just waiting at the exits for all the parks at the end of the night? I don't remember but then I never had a reason to look. I think that's a great idea if you're extra hot, cold, tired, cranky, whatever!

joelkfla
01-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Yes, there are usually plenty of taxis.

At the MK, there are no taxis at the park. You need to take the Monorail to the TTC, where the taxi stand is behind the parking lot tram unload area.

Other taxi stands:

DAK - handicapped parking lot
Epcot - Near bus loading zone #6
Studios - Beyond bus loading zone #14 (follow the marked walkway along the tram lane)

Jeff
01-21-2009, 08:49 AM
As you can see, to each his own is the rule here.

We always have a car with us. Sometimes it sits in the hotel lot for the whole week unused. Other times we will use it often. It's really personal preference as to if you want to feel you are in control of getting around.

My one hard and fast rule is to NEVER take a bus to Downtown Disney. If going to DD we will always use the car. Often we will drive to the studios and AK because for some unscientific reason I think the car is quicker.

We will never drive to MK as you still have to park at the transportation center and get a boat or monorail to the gate. Better to let the bus take you right there. Sure you might wait in a bus line at the end of the day but I bet the bus beats your car to your resort by the time you boat or monorail back to parking, get a tram to your car then get going.

Stich8818
01-21-2009, 09:59 AM
That would be my vote...There was only 2 times on my last trip to were we had to wait a really long time. Those tow times were when leaving MK..they were both Halloween party nights...one of times we did go to the party we were on the way back from the Spirit of Aloha show. But like most of the other posters..Having that luxury of putting the car keys in the safe and not touching it for a week, That is the best.

bxrluv
01-21-2009, 01:00 PM
:thumbsup:
Yes, there are usually plenty of taxis.

At the MK, there are no taxis at the park. You need to take the Monorail to the TTC, where the taxi stand is behind the parking lot tram unload area.

Other taxi stands:

DAK - handicapped parking lot
Epcot - Near bus loading zone #6
Studios - Beyond bus loading zone #14 (follow the marked walkway along the tram lane)

Thanks!

Tygger7
01-21-2009, 01:04 PM
I always take Disney only transportation. I love parking the car and not seeing it again until I leave. The only time you will have problems is when the parks close due to large crowds leaving at once. Orlando is a traffic jam during those times. Give the buses a shot first day or two and see if you like it since it is your first visit. I have been to Disney over 20 times and truly never drive my own car unless going to Downtown Disney. And let your kids take the Monorail, it is something they will always remember. Try to seat up front once.

Couldn't agree more....we drive to Orlando from Ohio and I don't want to go near my car while I'm at WDW. I have a 2 hour commute each day, so for me part of being on vacation is not having to worry about driving or finding my way around. :D

Laughin' place
01-21-2009, 01:34 PM
I vote strongly for "drive". When we camp at Ft W (and have our car) , or when we stay at a hotel (and rent) , we find having our own car a HUGE advantage. We can come and go, whereever and whenever. The only downside is the buses are AC when you get on, and the car is HOT inside after sitting in a lot or two all day. That aside, from the time my boys were tots to teens, coming and going whenever we wanted saves us hours each trip. The bus is fun now and then (for me, anyway), but I hate to waste time waiting for the bus, making stops, etc, when I could be in a park having fun.:car:

Imagineer1981
01-22-2009, 03:00 PM
we always drive. It makes it so much easier, especially if you want to park hop, you can unload or reload backpacks, you can rest for a few minutes in your own car in between parks with blasting AC. Plus its so much easier to get to DTD and Boardwalk or mini golf or another resort for dining.

djashworth
01-23-2009, 12:12 PM
if you do decide to drive, how much is parking and is the price the same at all parks?:mickey:

Mr. Incredible
01-25-2009, 12:15 AM
Parking is free for resort guests. $12 for day guests.