PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Airblue1
01-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I think I have done too much research on this topic. So I have some questions???

What is the advantage of buying from the DVC directly and not a relisting?

Is it difficult to use the points outside of the Disney Resorts, i.e. San Fran, Hawaii or Ireland?

What is a major problem with the program, in other words, where have folks on average had the most problems i.e. booking, using the points in time???

Last but not least.

How do I answer the question that owning a part of the DVC is not taking away from our traveling independence??

Thank You
:mickey:

gwfx1031
01-09-2009, 03:18 PM
As a newer owner I can answer a few.

I bought a resale last fall at OKW because I wanted that location and it may not be available through Disney. I was also able to buy a lower point total as opposed to the new minimum. Finally, the price was right.

We have not used it yet, (3 more weeks!!) however, we were able to get a week there at the end of March (peak season) but we had to book there and be flexible on our dates for a stay in January (non peak season) where we might have wanted to stay at another resort and on a different date. This was all booked at the end of the year.

We found it confusing that there were not any openings outside of OKW for January, not withstanding Marathon weekend.

DizneyRox
01-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Once you are a member, there are absolutely NO differences. The financing seems to be different in resale vs through Disney, but even that could be very similar.

Is it difficult to use the points outside of the Disney Resorts, i.e. San Fran, Hawaii or Ireland?
That I don't know, however I dont' think I've ever heard anyone complain about trading out. There are some grumblings about the new deal with RCI and their offerings being a litle more slim than they were with II, but I've heard of no difficulty actually using the points outside of DVC.

What is a major problem with the program, in other words, where have folks on average had the most problems i.e. booking, using the points in time???
Booking non home resorts seems to be the topic of the month. Buy where you want to stay and this isn't as much of a problem until you hit the 7 months mark. Then all bets are off.

How do I answer the question that owning a part of the DVC is not taking away from our traveling independence??
You don't.. By buying into DVC, you are telling Disney that you will be visiting them semi regularly for the next some 50 years. Trading out isn't a great value, and Disney makes it this way so you don't really. So, I do think you ARE giving up some of your travel independence. YES, you CAN travel elsewhere, but you probably won't want to regularly.

DVC Mike
01-09-2009, 08:38 PM

The main advantage of buying direct from DVC is that it is faster than resale (you will be in the system and have your points and be able to make reservations much faster than resale). Resales typically take 6-8 weeks.

You don't have to worry about passing ROFR, since that only applies to resale purchases.

Finally, you can finance through Disney.

Aurora
01-10-2009, 01:50 PM
We've used our DVC points to travel to Vermont, Vancouver, New York and California. We've never had any problems trading out. Vancouver was Interval International, Vermont and New York were Concierge Collection and California (two different trips) was Disney Collection.