PDA

View Full Version : Wet or Dry Splash Mountain

CU Tiger
01-08-2009, 05:09 PM
When we went on SM in May, we got soaked. When we went on SM last week, we did not get wet at all. I assume DW reduces the chances of getting wet during the cold season.
I actually prefer not getting wet and being uncomfortable for part of the day. This is hard for me, because SM is one of my favorite rides and I am not going avoid riding it just because of getting wet.:confused:
Do you prefer a wet or a dry SM?:mickey:

ILoveLegos
01-08-2009, 05:38 PM
I was told that the extra "jets" only are turned on when the temperature reaches a certain level. That's very welcome during my usual January visits (like right now)! :mickey:

PirateLover
01-08-2009, 05:41 PM
I've only gotten soaked once in two winter trips when I've ridden multiple times (I think the first Dec trip we did 5 in a row).

I usually don't like getting too wet, but on a hot day it can be welcomed. (Although I never like getting my pants wet). To tell the truth, I've never gotten soaked on the drop. Chances are when you see people coming off completely soaked, they got hit by the cannons when another log was going down and they were stranded waiting to go up a hill.

Madame Leona
01-08-2009, 05:41 PM
I actually avoid Splash Mountain because I don't like to get wet. I avoid most water rides for this reason.

mdhiggin
01-08-2009, 05:46 PM
I don't mind getting wet if the weather is warm, but sometimes we wear our ponchos on this ride and on Kali.

Stu29573
01-08-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm usually there in the dead of summer so THE WETTER THE BETTER!!!

Giggy
01-08-2009, 06:00 PM
When we've gone on it's been April, May or October so the weather was still pretty hot. I don't like getting too wet on any ride but if it's hot then I don't mind getting a bit wet, which is what usually happens anyway.

I rarely seem to get very wet on water rides though, I've been known to even come off Kali River Rapids only slightly wet. :mickey:

SBETigg
01-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Even in the summer, I prefer not to get wet because with the humidity, you never really dry off and it just feels icky walking around that way. We usually try to stay dry on Splash, wear ponchos, and sometimes even plan on it being the last attraction before we're heading back to the resort.

DisneyGlutton
01-08-2009, 06:41 PM
I loathe getting wet. If SM wasn't such a superior ride, you would never find me on it. I still have nightmares about the time in May that I was literally soaked all the way through by both the jets and the splash from the finale and I got a rash, lol. When I went in Dec, and didn't get anything more than a couple drops on me, it was so much nicer. You'll never find me on Kali...never been, never will.

sassafras
01-08-2009, 07:15 PM
DH jokes about being "blown dry" and wants to ride Thunder Mountain as soon as we come off Splash Mountain..I prefer not being drowned, but a little water never hurts!

kakn7294
01-08-2009, 07:36 PM
I prefer to stay dry but I love SM. I don't mind a wet shirt but I hate wet hair, wet pants, & wet eyeglasses (and if I took them off during the ride, I couldn't see to enjoy it). I got soaked on my one and only time on Kali so I have no desire to ride it again. Walking around the rest of the day that wet was miserable - it was very humid and I did not dry.

CAS
01-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Agreed LuvsWDWfood. I despise getting wet. It's a shame I have to get wet in order to shower. :D

I'll tolerate a small side swipe from a splash, but if it shows on the clothing then I'm not happy. I think it's because I grew up swimming every day of my spring and summer life until I was ten. It was great fun but I don't care to see another drop of water as long as I live.

disneydeb
01-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Just don't get my hair wet! and NOT IN Dec., Jan. and Feb.

cindchan
01-08-2009, 08:24 PM
I actually avoid Splash Mountain because I don't like to get wet. I avoid most water rides for this reason.

I agree. I don't much like getting wet, so I avoid those rides. I have ridden a couple of water rides, because they were themed rides (Splash Mountain was one, and other was at Six Flags in TX). I wanted to ride those, just so I could enjoy the show.

Like some others have mentioned, I don't like walking around in wet clothes.

mouseketeer mom
01-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Its my hair I want to keep dry. I protect it at all costs on Splash mountain..The body, the clothes, they look the same when they dry..the hair..Oh, its a whole different planet when left on its own!!:blush:

Disneypixie513
01-08-2009, 09:07 PM
I chose dry..I hate getting wet on rides. It was so nice going on it in Dec. and not worrying about geting wet.

mom2morgan
01-08-2009, 10:07 PM
I prefer to stay dry but I love SM. I don't mind a wet shirt but I hate wet hair, wet pants, & wet eyeglasses (and if I took them off during the ride, I couldn't see to enjoy it). I got soaked on my one and only time on Kali so I have no desire to ride it again. Walking around the rest of the day that wet was miserable - it was very humid and I did not dry.

I agree - I rode Kali in 2006 and decided NOT to ride it again this year because I was so miserable being soaked. Especially since we always go in December. The worst is walking around in soaking sneakers! That said I made a TERRIBLE decision on the day we went to Universal, and ended up on not one but TWO rides that were wetter than Kali! And it was NOT a nice day :-(

LoriMistress
01-08-2009, 10:53 PM
It depends on if the jets are on, how many people are in the log, and the weight of it. But I normally duck to avoid getting completely soaked.

IloveDisney71
01-09-2009, 08:25 AM
I've ridden SM in May, June, July, November, December, February and I'd get wet everytime if I didn't wear a poncho. I've ridden in on a day in Februray when it was about 50 degrees (crazy FL weather - it's supposed to be warm there - HA!). There was NO line so we rode it a few times - with ponchos. It was great!

Meteora
01-09-2009, 08:42 AM
We almost always go in December and January, and one of the main things preventing me from going on this ride (I'm not a drops person, so it's not a big must-do for me on the best of days), is the possibility of getting wet. True, they turn off the jets, but my sister usually rides and almost always gets quite wet. In December. When it is in the 40s. And then has to walk around for the next few hours. It just doesn't appeal to me.

I'm sure if we normally took trips in June, my opinion would be different.

alilprincessmom99
01-09-2009, 09:04 AM
It really depends for us. If it is warm outside, we like to get wet, I mean thats sort of the purpose of the ride right?. But, if it is cold outside we prefer to stay dry!

avantgardeinker
01-09-2009, 09:07 AM
It depends... We usually go in December and you never know what the weather is going to be like. If it's cold I definitely do not want to get wet. If it's warm I'm okay with it unless I have jeans on. I HATE wet jeans!!

:mickey:

SheLovesDisney
01-09-2009, 09:14 AM
In the cooler months, getting wet makes me shiver uncomfortably for way too long and in the warmer months, the humidity prevents me from ever feeling dry again! I don't mind a quick spray, but I don't think I will ever enjoy that wet pants & wet hair feeling - no matter what the temp!!

laprana
01-09-2009, 09:46 AM
I also picked staying dry. I can't stand walking around in wet clothes (especially having wet shoes and underwear - yuck!!). We usually go to WDW in late May/early June, and it's always hot, but I still don't want to get soaking wet! A little sprinkle is ok, just enough to cool you off. I love SM aside from the drenching I always get, but the last 2 trips I've chosen to skip the ride so I could stay dry and comfortable. I wish they'd tone down the water jets and the splash in May/June, too!!

Luv Eeyore
01-09-2009, 11:32 AM
I am sooo glad I'm not the only one who doesn't really enjoy getting wet. My family treats me like there is something wrong with me because I don't enjoy getting wet like they do.

Imagineer1981
01-09-2009, 02:14 PM
we prefer to stay dry, however sometimes we will save Splash for the last ride of the day so if we are wet, no big deal. We usually avoid Kali though

GrmGrninGost
01-11-2009, 08:16 PM
The wetter the better! :mickey: Unless the temperature is low! :(

#1donaldfan
01-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I normally don't get a drop on me during our summer trips, but this year, on our first every NYE trip, I got about as wet as you normally get from Kali....the jets were operational, however they were turned in a direction that "sprayed" away from riders....the only "real" place I got the wettest was at the bottom of the last drop....I got it full in the face and chest.....I was the only one in our party to not wear a poncho......???:cool:

chrisb26
01-11-2009, 09:33 PM
I would rather stay dry. Which is a problem for me because I like water rides as they are fun especially the drops. Most of the time I will wear a poncho on water rides which gets hecklers from the line but I really don't care. I want to ride the ride but not get wet. Some might say that it defeats the purpose of a water ride but I do like the ride just not the getting wet part. I really don't like walking around the park soaking wet I don't mind getting splashed in the face but it is not very comfortable walking around with wet clothes.

So I will be happy to ride water rides with my poncho!

Oh and I do think WDW turns the jets down at certain times. I know I went on Splash Mtn. and have not gotten wet at all which was during the winter months. Then I went on in May and got soaked.

Dsnygirl
01-11-2009, 10:59 PM
:mickey: We've experienced both... the absolute soaking on a hot day in May and a warm evening in October... and the mild dousing on a chilly night in December... and all were welcome!! We appreciated that the jets weren't on in December, as it would have been really uncomfortable to be soaked @ 11pm and 50 degrees... but it felt great to get wet on a hot sunny day and 85 degrees -- we dried out almost immediately!! :thumbsup:

animalkingdomguy
01-12-2009, 07:45 AM
If it's August or during a hot day, yes soak me. But, we have visited WDW in December and experienced 34 F weather in the evenings, dry very dry please.

RAIDER
01-12-2009, 10:32 AM
I put depends ...

It depends how hot it is for drying off :thumbsup:

ThanxForNoticin
01-12-2009, 12:18 PM
How wet you're going to get is part of the thrill of Splash Mountain. It's different each time. I have avoided riding it at certain times when it's too chilly, but once I get in the boat, I'm expecting/hoping to get wet!

We just got back from a trip last week, and it was very disappointing to have Splash Mountain closed for refurb. It was definintely warm enough to get wet last week - I would have enjoyed that!

jszczur5
01-12-2009, 02:05 PM
I wanna stay dry thanks. Nothing worse than denim shorts which take two hours to dry. A little splash - no problem. I mean, it is called Splash Mountain. But a totally soaking, like we've had a few times; no thanks!

biodtl
01-12-2009, 02:34 PM
I don't mind getting splashed a little, but I HATE getting soaked, which is why I stay away from Kali. I have luckily never gotten completely soaked on Splash, though.

badkitty
01-12-2009, 07:36 PM
I've only gotten soaked once in two winter trips when I've ridden multiple times (I think the first Dec trip we did 5 in a row).

I usually don't like getting too wet, but on a hot day it can be welcomed. (Although I never like getting my pants wet). To tell the truth, I've never gotten soaked on the drop. Chances are when you see people coming off completely soaked, they got hit by the cannons when another log was going down and they were stranded waiting to go up a hill.

Those are the cannons that always get me and I look like a drowned rat when I get off. I am always completely soaked. I now check to see if those jets are on before I ride...

Dawnya
01-14-2009, 12:52 PM
I had to go with staying dry because when we ride water rides, I don't just get wet. I get SOAKED every time. It doesn't matter where I sit or who I sit by. I get soaked enough that it takes me a couple of hours in the Florida sun to get dry and in the mean time, I freeze my butt off in the air conditioning. Either way, the ride is fun!

goofy89
01-14-2009, 01:18 PM
I had to vote for staying dry. I despise getting wet on a ride because it ruins my hair and make-up for the rest of the day!

jpmsrivers
01-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Its my hair I want to keep dry. I protect it at all costs on Splash mountain..The body, the clothes, they look the same when they dry..the hair..Oh, its a whole different planet when left on its own!!:blush:

Me too...my hair is wild and crazy to say the least...I have to work very hard to tame it...if it gets wet well it's wild side comes out. :-o Make my rides dry...I do like Splash Mountain but the thought of what is to come ruins it for me. If it were dry are at least not as wet I know it would be a favorite of mine.

cgriff
01-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Wet! :mop:

Mickey91
01-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Wet! It's a wet ride!

Stu29573
01-15-2009, 03:53 PM
You know, I wonder if these results would be different if we weren't having record low temps right now. :mickey:

Duchess99
01-15-2009, 04:46 PM
I chose dry...I always go to WDW in the colder months and getting soaked isn't fun. The last time we went in February and got soaked...at night! We rode Buzz 4 times in a row to stay warm...it was during the P&P party so we didn't even have to get off the ride.

I remember riding SpMt years ago and hardly getting wet...why is it so much worse now?

dteed
01-15-2009, 08:44 PM
I prefer to stay dry but don't mind getting wet. If I get too wet I just buy another shirt.

Tink#64
01-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Usually would say prefer staying dry, we've never gotten as soaked on SplM as we did last year! We looked like we'd walked into the shower! But we screamed & laughed so hard! By the 2nd time we rode it, we were soaked to the bone! I had to buy a hat becuase my hair was dripping! But we had a ball! I think that was the hardest we laughed during our entire trip! :funny:

princessjojo
01-18-2009, 04:09 PM
It really depends on the weather. We usually go during June and have been in August so getting a little wet can be refreshing. But I prefer not to come off dripping wet. It just makes my clothes stick to me and in my current shape, that's not really too attractive. As long as I have a hair tie, hair doesn't matter too much, or at least tuck it into a hat.

tjstrike
01-19-2009, 01:21 AM
SM I don't mind getting a little wet and I don't wear a poncho, now Kali RR on the other hand, I always wear a poncho and enjoy waiting to see who's going to get soaked and then watching the people not wearing ponchos get soaked. :joy:

kadesha
01-19-2009, 09:00 AM
In November i was sitting in the second row and got DRENCHED!!! It was terrible. My DH and DD were in the front and didn't get wet at all.

RocknRoller94
01-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Getting Wet is why I go on Splash Mountain (besides the drop) However, the idea isn't all that when it's 30 degrees outside. (though I have ridden it in that weather once.):mickey:

Mousefever
01-24-2009, 01:34 AM
I don't mind getting a splash on Splash Mountain, but to me the water cannons are overkill. After all, the ride is not called Splash and Water Cannon Mountain. There is no reason that riders have to get soaked for the ride to be fun.

Amy

goofy78
01-24-2009, 06:17 AM
If splash mountain were dry then it would be pretty difficult for the logs to move through the ride. I can only imagine the screeching of the log going down the big drop into the briar patch! :D

Pete Olsen
01-24-2009, 11:41 AM
I've never gotten very wet. We've sat in different rows, at various times of year. I do usually try to sit in the middle of the seat.

DisneyGirl115
01-25-2009, 02:45 PM
I think it really depends on how warm the day is. Sometimes i really like to get wet. Other days not really.:mickey:

dmosher
01-25-2009, 03:18 PM
But it wouldn't be Splash Mountain if you didn't get SPLASHED!!! Where is the fun in that?
:pipes:
D

CaptSmee
01-26-2009, 10:12 PM
...and for those of you hoping to stay dry on Splash Mtn, we rode it the day it opened from rehab and the water cannon that soaks you on the way UP is in full force again!

GoldenDreams
01-26-2009, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't mind getting wet so much, but the A/C on full blast as you get back to the unloading dock is very uncomfortable for me.

And I agree with all the posters who say that wet shirts are okay, but wet shorts are just awful for walking around the park.

c&d
01-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Getting wet, although when we were down for MLK weekend and it was 40 degrees dry would have been nice. :D

Stitchahula
01-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I went with it depends. I wear a poncho but it's almost like a challenge to see if you really do stay dry. If you are in the front and the water cannon gets you it doesn't matter what you do you are going to get wet just not dripping. Getting kind of damp is ok dripping wet not so much fun. It is really funny though my DS went on it for the 1st time when he was 4 and knew to duck his head when heading down for the big splash. We were however in the front and got the cannon so he kind of got christened by splash mountain right away. It is his favorite ride though splash and all.:thumbsup:

MMFreak
01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't mind getting wet if the weather is really hot. Otherwise I would prefer to stay dry than walking around in shorts that won't dry because it is not quiet hot enough.

BriarRose
01-27-2009, 03:41 PM
I feel it depends on the situation. If we have a table service meal coming up, then no, I will wait. I really don't like getting wet, but sometimes it's refreshing.

One of the funnest moments I had at WDW was riding Splash Mountain and not expecting to get absolutely DRENCHED. My husband and I laughed for the longest time.

Baloofan
01-28-2009, 04:40 AM
On SM I don't mind getting splashed a little on my shirt, but do not like getting my pants wet! I will not let the chance of getting wet scare me from ridingn though. Who are we kidding? It's an awesome ride!

On Kali we always bring our swim suits and put them on before we ride and WANT to get wet!

indytraveler
01-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Like most of you I prefer staying dry. Don't want to walk around with wet socks in shoes or wet shorts. So I pull out the rain poncho and sit on it.

PrettyMinnie
01-28-2009, 01:16 PM
We rode this ride on our last trip twice. Once during the day and once during EMH. I actually got thoroughly soaked at midnight rather than at one in the afternoon! However the rest of our party didn't get as wet as my sister and I. It's up in the air, good luck!

Tinkerbelly84
01-29-2009, 12:39 AM
I've never really gotten that wet on this ride. However, I did go on during MNSSHP in my Tinker Bell costume and got wetter then I wanted. It was too cold to be wet that night.:D

Belle619
01-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Well, I have to admit that my sister and I always cheat and wear ponchos! But, to our defense, we usually go in the off season when it isn't really warm enough to want to get drenched.

Two years ago we went on SM during a February P &P without ponchos and we got soaked!!! It was pretty chilly the rest of the night walking around in wet clothes.

Pagan
01-29-2009, 12:32 PM
I voted it depends. If I go on at the beginning of the day I want to stay dry.DW and I both have really long hair, and getting wet early makes the rest of the day a BAD hair day. LOL.

If it's the last ride we're going on before heading back to the room, then bring the wet!