PDA

View Full Version : Free Birthday Admission

Ten of Hearts
01-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Does anyone with a January birthday have any stories- good or bad- about visiting a Disney park on your birthday? Is it very crowded?

:cake:

DizneyRox
01-08-2009, 07:37 PM
This current promotion isn't going to impact the crowds at all. Seeing as booking are really really bad, free admission after jumping through hoops for just one day ia too little too late.

If you saw the video for the first person to use the feature, they still made the rest of his party burn a day on their tickets. Cheap!

Tinkerfreak
01-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I also don't think this promotion is going to be a big draw at least not for people who are not local. For us who don't live close it will take more than a free one day one park ticket to get us there. We have to factor in the cost of the rest of the trip, airfare, lodging, food etc. The price of the one day ticket is nothing compared to the rest of the cost. I am happy for those who live close enough to take advantage of this but it isn't enough to convince us to go back just for that.

DDuck66
01-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I would have to agree that the promotion does appear to be geared towards those that are within a day's driving distance. I will definatley use it since we only live about an hour away. We already have AP's so we plan on using the giftcard. We go for my DW's birthday at the end of January so I will make sure to put up a trip report.

Imagineer1981
01-09-2009, 02:23 PM
If you saw the video for the first person to use the feature, they still made the rest of his party burn a day on their tickets. Cheap!

Well I think they have to do that. I could see maybe like the birthday person and a guest but think if it was the birthday person and their party, people could plan trips around the date and bring like 20 people, and they'd all get in free. And then imagine if 20-30 people had a birthday that same day (which is quite possible between the 4 parks) and they all brought 20 people, thats alot of tickets lost. I realize thats a high number and probably would be like 3-5 additional people, but it still is a lot of free admissions every single day. Granted one could argue that the free guests would spend more in the parks, but if they only bought 2 meals each it still wouldn't add up to the 80 bucks the ticket would hav gotten them.

mouseketeer mom
01-09-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm still not understanding what I need to bring to get my DD her birthday gift card on her BD. It says a certified copy of her birth certificate, but I don't know what this means.

DizneyRox
01-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Well I think they have to do that. I could see maybe like the birthday person and a guest but think if it was the birthday person and their party, people could plan trips around the date and bring like 20 people, and they'd all get in free. And then imagine if 20-30 people had a birthday that same day (which is quite possible between the 4 parks) and they all brought 20 people, thats alot of tickets lost. I realize thats a high number and probably would be like 3-5 additional people, but it still is a lot of free admissions every single day. Granted one could argue that the free guests would spend more in the parks, but if they only bought 2 meals each it still wouldn't add up to the 80 bucks the ticket would hav gotten them.

No, I understand what you're saying, but this was the FIRST PERSON, they let them in a seperate turnstyle BEFORE the parks were open as a publicity shot. You can see in the background that the family needed to use their tickets. I'm just saying, they made an event out of it for these guys, the least they could have done for them signing the releases, etc to use that, was just let the rest of the family in. Again, not a big deal, but just came off wrong in the snippet.

mickeysworld
01-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Just wanted to report that I got my fun card today! I am local so I had to take advantage. The process was fairly painless, just turned in my registration confirmation, was asked which offer I would like, and got a gift card in the amount of $75. They give you a piece of paper that tells you suggested places to use your card, to treat it like cash, if it's lost or stolen, they can't and won't replace it, and it does not have an expiration date, just use it till the $75 bucks is gone! It was great fun shopping for the kids with my birthday money!

DisneyKings
01-09-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm still not understanding what I need to bring to get my DD her birthday gift card on her BD. It says a certified copy of her birth certificate, but I don't know what this means.

It has to be an official copy that you get from the state, you can't just photocopy yours & take that. The certified copy should have a special seal or background on it (I would guess) preventing it from being easily photoshopped. HTH! :party:

Daisy'sMom
01-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Just wanted to report that I got my fun card today! I am local so I had to take advantage. The process was fairly painless, just turned in my registration confirmation, was asked which offer I would like, and got a gift card in the amount of $75. They give you a piece of paper that tells you suggested places to use your card, to treat it like cash, if it's lost or stolen, they can't and won't replace it, and it does not have an expiration date, just use it till the $75 bucks is gone! It was great fun shopping for the kids with my birthday money!

Thanks! My birthday is the firs week of Feb, I can't wait. Where can you use the card?

mickeysworld
01-10-2009, 07:12 PM
My understanding is that you can use it at most WDW owned merchandise locations, tours, photopass, but not for things like face painting, hair wraps, food and beverages, resort folio charges. Also, it's not accepted at China, Japan or Morroco and several locations at DTD, which you'd expect from the non Disney owned shops. I used mine at the Emporium and the Confectionary. My favorite part is that it doesn't expire so I can take my time shopping! Have fun!

teamblackwell
01-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Does anyone know if you can get the birthday $75 Fun card at DL but use it at WDW in a later trip?

mainemajor
01-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know if you can get the birthday $75 Fun card at DL but use it at WDW in a later trip?

Your birthday card must be used on your birthday at the park. My DW had fun shopping last week on her BD with her birthday card. We had multi day passes so she chose that option.

mouseketeer mom
01-11-2009, 07:00 PM
It has to be an official copy that you get from the state, you can't just photocopy yours & take that. The certified copy should have a special seal or background on it (I would guess) preventing it from being easily photoshopped. HTH! :party:

I have to travel with her actual birth certificate thats locked in our safe?? Why don't I like that idea? What about a passport?

princessesmom
01-11-2009, 08:20 PM
I requested a copy of my son's birth certificate to take on the trip, so I didn't have to take my "official" copy. I just went on the town website for where he was born and found information on getting a certified birth certificate copy. I had to fill out a form, sign it, and send them $10. I got the copy within a week. Very easy! The copy looks exactly like what I already had, included a raised seal and signature.

Seasonscraps
01-11-2009, 08:23 PM
I have to travel with her actual birth certificate thats locked in our safe?? Why don't I like that idea? What about a passport?

A passport is fine too.

Tinkerfreak
01-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Your birthday card must be used on your birthday at the park. My DW had fun shopping last week on her BD with her birthday card. We had multi day passes so she chose that option.

So you have to use the birthday card on your birthday? I am confused (nothing unusual). If DH and I do get a chance to go it won't be on our birthdays because we just can't go then.

wetcampers
01-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Has anyone picked the fastpass for their birthday? We will be there for my DD's 11th birthday on Feb 3. Do you know what rides the fastpass can be used for?

dnickels
01-12-2009, 02:33 PM
So you have to use the birthday card on your birthday? I am confused (nothing unusual). If DH and I do get a chance to go it won't be on our birthdays because we just can't go then.

I'm pretty sure you have to actually be at Disney on your birthday to get the pass/card.

disneyfan328
01-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Yes, you have to be present at the parks on your "official birthday". It can't be the day before or after. I believe that you have to register at the disney website before you go also and from the way that I read it if you chose the gift card, it had to be used that day??? A PP stated they were told no expiration but I cannot confirm or refute that I am just stating what i read in regards to the gift card.

Also remember that if you are going for a childs birthday that the gift card will reflect the price of a childs ticket vs. the 75.00 for an adult ticket.

For us this just isn't doable. We are LUCKY if we can go to Disney at all let alone 3 times in one year to celebrate our children's birthdays. Only having been twice in my whole life as it is, there is no way I could ever do it 3 times in one year and I couldn't justify to my kids why we get to go from so and so's birthday but not theirs. It doesn't seem that this nor the buy 4 get 3 free deal is having the effect that they want.

We are going over our anniversary but in looking at the costs for all of the what will you celebrate stuff, that is all way out of our budget as well. I will bring some things from home and decorate our room!

handmaidenofprincesses
01-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Just wanted to warn everyone who plans on going soon: This promotion is still very new and I don't think they know what they are doing yet. We had some problems getting my aunt's giftcard on 1/6/09, and got sent all over the place so here's the instructions:

There is a special will-call window outside of the park entrance (It was NOT open for morning EMH) It is decorated with "Celebrate Today" banners. This is the only place where you can receive your ticket, gift card or fastpass. (No other ticket window or guest relations office can help.) You must have a valid form of identification, including date of birth. For adults, this is most likely a driver's license. For children, a passport, state issued ID card, or birth certificate is required. (Please, don't forget! The family in front of us did not bring a birth certificate for their 14 yr old daughter and were turned away!)

Happy Birthday to all of you who are going!

DizneyRox
01-13-2009, 06:27 AM
The family in front of us did not bring a birth certificate for their 14 yr old daughter and were turned away!

This has the potential to become a public relations nightmare. I understand they need to validate the recipients before giving away money, but when it's a destination like Disney and HAS to be on one specific day. It's like having all the planets align just right!

I'm sure there are disclaimers all over everything and reminders during the signup process, etc. But turn away enough people and you'll eventually hit someone who's going to make stink!

joelkfla
01-13-2009, 10:51 AM
The Birthday Fun Card must be picked up on the guest's birthday, but it does not have to be used only on the birthday. There is no expiration date. This is directly from internal communication.

Everything says it can be used only at Disney-owned merchandise locations at WDW Resort. I can't find anything explicitly saying that it can or cannot be used at DL. My guess is not.

Daisy'sMom
01-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Has anyone picked the fastpass for their birthday? We will be there for my DD's 11th birthday on Feb 3. Do you know what rides the fastpass can be used for?

Feb 3rd is my birthday also. I will get the fun card because we have annual passes. :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
01-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Just wanted to warn everyone who plans on going soon: This promotion is still very new and I don't think they know what they are doing yet. We had some problems getting my aunt's giftcard on 1/6/09, and got sent all over the place so here's the instructions:

There is a special will-call window outside of the park entrance (It was NOT open for morning EMH) It is decorated with "Celebrate Today" banners. This is the only place where you can receive your ticket, gift card or fastpass. (No other ticket window or guest relations office can help.) You must have a valid form of identification, including date of birth. For adults, this is most likely a driver's license. For children, a passport, state issued ID card, or birth certificate is required. (Please, don't forget! The family in front of us did not bring a birth certificate for their 14 yr old daughter and were turned away!)

Happy Birthday to all of you who are going!

Robin, That is great information. So you were at the window and saw that a passport is acceptable??? I don't want to bring my DD's birth certificate.

handmaidenofprincesses
01-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Robin, That is great information. So you were at the window and saw that a passport is acceptable??? I don't want to bring my DD's birth certificate.

Yes, I overheard the manager who was dealing with the family who was ahead of (the ones who brought no ID for their daughter) She said that a birth certificate OR passport OR state-issued ID could be used to validate the birthday and obtain the ticket/giftcard/fastpass. Unfortunately for that family, they didn't bring any of the above with them... boy was that mom MAD at those poor CMs!!:mad:

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-14-2009, 04:37 PM
We're planning to get the gift-card for DD when she turns 11 on our trip...I'm glad to hear that I'll only need her passport, not her birth certificate too!