PDA

View Full Version : When does a Refurb Become a Opened Seasonally?

Goes4FastPass
01-07-2009, 02:32 PM
It seems like refurb, especially winter refurbs are getting longer and longer.

The current TypLagoon looks like 5 months. (?)

Ellen Energy 2+ months?

Hall of the Presidents 6+ months?

Studio Backlot Tour ~2 months?

Are these major refurbs or adjusting to post holidays crowd levels?

Ian
01-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Well, as far as the water parks go, my understanding is that they alternate closing either BB or TL each year for extensive rehabs. As I'm sure you can imagine, two years worth of use in a water park can require some serious down time for rehabbing.

HoP, my understanding is that they're redoing some of the show elements so it's not just taking it down to add Obama. They're revamping the entire show.

Not sure about the Backlot Tour (probably replacing Pearl Harbor with a new film) or Ellen's, but I don't think 2 months is that long for a rehab.

I do think, though, that they're probably scaling back on the man hours they spend on these refurbs to keep costs down. From their perspective it's a win/win ... they save money on the refurb by using less man hours and taking more time. And by taking more time, they're also saving the operational costs they would have incurred had the attraction been open.

And, of course, the guests are all paying the same amount, so it ends up being money that goes directly into their pockets.