PDA

View Full Version : Extra Magic Hours & Room Key

CU Tiger
01-07-2009, 01:06 PM
The previous few visits we have not taken advantaged of extra magic hours and did not know that they no longer use the wrist bands. This past visit we stayed late at MK and were surprised that you have to show your room key to get on rides. Do you like this change? :confused: I like not having to deal with getting the wrist band:thumbsup:, but I do not like having to keep up with both my room key and my park pass:mad:. I know smaller lines for rides is a big plus, but if a non-Disney resort person does not ride the rides and wants to hang around for the fireworks and such, they can. The overall crowds did not seem to diminish much. I was wondering about your thoughts of the new system. What do you see as a plus or a minus?

DisneyHoneymooners
01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I have to say when I first heard of the change I didn't think I would like it, but it turned out to not be a problem at all. We always buy our tickets at the same time we book our room so they are both on one card. I had not thought about the fact you could hang around for the fireworks without one, but I cant say I noticed that happening.

DisneyGlutton
01-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I didn't mind the wristbands. Sure it was a bit of a hassle at the beginning of the night to get one, but at least you didn't have to keep getting your Key to the World out (and worry about losing it).

disneyworld55925592
01-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I perfer the room key way because then you can enter the park at anytime to use the EMH. In past years for the evening EMH you had to arrive two hours before the park "closed" for non disny hotel guests to get your wristband. Now you can arrive when the EMH starts or even after they have already started!

Beast_fanatic
01-07-2009, 02:02 PM
We just bought a "Fast Pass holder" that had a retractable string connected to a clear plastic sleeve, and we just left our room key and annual passes (and fast pass when we had one) in there so that it was very easy to show during Extra Magic Hours.

There weren't any fireworks or parades during the Extra Magic Hours while we were there, so nothing to worry about as far as people seeing things they weren't entitled to.

Jeff
01-07-2009, 02:05 PM
I think you always could "hang around the parks" with the wrist bands. You just couldn't get on the rides.

CleveRocks
01-07-2009, 02:35 PM
I perfer the room key way because then you can enter the park at anytime to use the EMH. In past years for the evening EMH you had to arrive two hours before the park "closed" for non disny hotel guests to get your wristband. Now you can arrive when the EMH starts or even after they have already started!

Not that it matters any more, but the above is completely inaccurate. There was no requirement that you had to get a wristband two hours in advance ... two hours in advance is when they first became available.

You most certainly could get a wristband and/or enter the park at any time, even after the park closed to the public. In other words, if Magic Kingdom closed to the public at 9:00 p.m. but was open 'til midnight for EMH, you could have entered MK at 11:15 p.m. and gotten a wristband at that time.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-07-2009, 02:37 PM
I think you always could "hang around the parks" with the wrist bands. You just couldn't get on the rides.

That is correct. Disney will never turn away Guests who want to spend more money (unless they were being unruly and causing problems).

A lot of the Guests who aren't there for EMH would stay and shop and buy food. And that brings in the money that the EMH Guests aren't always spending since they are queuing and riding rides or waiting on characters. The non-EMH Guests would help cover the costs of the Guests who weren't shopping and just having fun. And before it gets to that point, you aren't paying extra for the EMH. It's a free perk to those staying on property and the rooms off-property are around the same price anyways.

DisneyGlutton
01-07-2009, 07:00 PM
We just bought a "Fast Pass holder" that had a retractable string connected to a clear plastic sleeve, and we just left our room key and annual passes (and fast pass when we had one) in there so that it was very easy to show during Extra Magic Hours.

That's a really good idea! Where can I buy one?

JPL
01-07-2009, 08:43 PM
It's a free perk to those staying on property and the rooms off-property are around the same price anyways.

Sorry to disagree here but you are paying for them by paying a premium to stay on property. Rooms off-property are much cheaper in comparison to rooms on property. A room comprable to those at the Values is about a third of the price. I can stay at suite off property that is much nicer than some of the Family Suites for much cheaper even after renting a car.

As for the system after experiencing the new system with the KTTW cards and watching CMs not checking the cards at Epcot. I would prefer the wristbands come back. If Disney is so worried about being "Green" let them use biodegradeable materials for them.

Polynesian Dweller
01-07-2009, 09:13 PM
If Disney is so worried about being "Green" let them use biodegradeable materials for them.

First I'm not a tree hugger but green goes beyond being biodegradeable. There is energy and materials needed to manufacture them, then the fuels used to transport them (truck, plane), and so on. To be truly green you never create something you don't have to.

Off soapbox and now back to our main thread.

I'm sure its cheaper for Disney as well, and I like the key. Its no more problem than taking it out to get a fast pass or to use it to charge something to the room. I don't feel any more likely to lose it than doing that. I also find it convenient cause I don't have to stand in one line to get a wrist band before going to the rides making things a bit more convenient.

DisneyGlutton
01-08-2009, 12:18 AM
There is energy and materials needed to manufacture them, then the fuels used to transport them (truck, plane), and so on. To be truly green you never create something you don't have to.

Its no more problem than taking it out to get a fast pass or to use it to charge something to the room. I don't feel any more likely to lose it than doing that.

That's a very good point about truly being green, though is that really why they got rid of the wristbands? As much as I love Disney, and as much as they may be trying to be green, it seems like the place is one big blackhole for resources (and customer's money,too)!

I'm glad most people seem to like the new EMH system. I always worry about losing FPs too, lol. Maybe they can just implant us all with a little microchip to keep track of everything?;)

mrmcgiv
01-08-2009, 11:47 AM
we just went in dec and use EMH a lot. I never used the worstbands BUT I did not find the showing the cards to be too much of a pain. I did get some eyerolls from my husbands when we wnet to a ride and once agian I could not find them in my pocket for a few seconds etc I think the fastpass holders around your neck would be helpful. My kids are 4 and 7 so I held their cards. It was a pain if we owuld split up and Dh took DD to a ride and forget to get her card from me, but we soon learned that when we split to do a card check!!

The PM EMH at MK were great we wlaked on every ride! And DHS was great too esp with the dance party.

Beast_fanatic
01-08-2009, 01:52 PM
That's a really good idea! Where can I buy one?

We got ours at Disney, I think at the Emporium or Mouse Gears, but we saw them all over (hanging on revolving kiosks). The ones we got had a Mickey head attached to the clip, and the sleeve was horizontal, so the key to the world card was oriented correctly. They also had a divider in the sleeve so the room key and our annual passes didn't actual touch each other. I believe ours were $3.95 each. They had some others that were $5 each, but the sleeves on them were vertical, they didn't have the divider in the sleeve, and there was printing on the sleeve.

Goofy4TheWorld
01-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Maybe they can just implant us all with a little microchip to keep track of everything?;)

Oh, just wait a while, and we can all come back to this thread and marvel at it's glance into the future.

squijee
01-09-2009, 09:54 AM
I agree JPL. I pay a premium to stay on Disney property why should someone staying off park get the benefit of emh. At lease with the bands cm could tell at a glance if you were eligible for emh. Besides what good is the card system if cms don't check them anyway?

WishingStar2006
01-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm still laughing at the micro chip idea...:rotfl::funny::rotfl::funny: Now that is future world and tommorowland all in one...I wonder if it is what Walt had in mind???

Seriously, I miss the writsbands and wish they would go back to them.

And I also agree that EMH should be a priveledge for those staying on property and everyone else OUT! Even if they are not on the rides, they are in the shops and restaurants and it's supposed to be our special time. I remember back in the E Ride Nights (boy, I miss those!!!) they cleared the park like they do for the halloween and christmas party...that's why we liked the pirate and princess parties so much...we were special!!!

Bringonthemouse!
01-09-2009, 08:37 PM
While I don't mind the fact that I need to use my Key for EMH (although I do prefer wristbands), I DO mind that in the 12 days we stayed and the 5 evening EMH's we hit 'til the bitter end I only had 6 CM's ask to see it (and we are ride fanatics). Most were simply not checking, they were standing at ride entrances talking amongst themselves. I feel as though the "privledge" of EMH was not only for resort guests on lour last stay and frankly I was a little annoyed by it.

thumperbug
01-09-2009, 09:06 PM
That is what is going to irk me on my next trip. I know that it is going to be on the crowded side during my stay and I just know that come EMH and I have my room keys all ready to show the CM and they don't check them and anyone and everyone is going on a ride...I'm gonna end up saying something.

I know, I know..don't let it spoil my trip, don't let it get to me..but as a previous poster stated, if one of the perks of staying on property is EMH and anyone can linger after official park hours...whats the benefit?? Ok, so let some folks stick around and enjoy the view, shopping, food...but what about the rides?

I think with wristbands, non-onsite guests were less likely to try to sneak on a ride.

Knowing that CMs aren't really enforcing checking the rooms keys...I think that just advertises to folks that they can get the full benefits of WDW without paying the full price.

There have been many many posts on this topic and the majority all state that CMs are not checking the keys. Its not a secret so people are going to use that to their advantage.

They need to either really enforce the key checking, go back to wristbands or go back to the old fashioned E nights.

What is the point of a resort perk if you don't get it? I

Jumping off my very high soap box.

36 days to my trip...

JPL
01-09-2009, 09:21 PM
I only had 6 CM's ask to see it (and we are ride fanatics). Most were simply not checking, they were standing at ride entrances talking amongst themselves. I feel as though the "privledge" of EMH was not only for resort guests on lour last stay and frankly I was a little annoyed by it.

This is my point exactly CMs are not checking hence not doing their jobs. I went on 3 attraction at EMHs at Epcot the park was packed beyond belief and not one CM asked to see my card. Just another instance of Disney not enforcing their own rules. I went on 3 attraction at EMHs at Epcot the park was packed beyond belief and not one CM asked to see my card. It was so packed I actually left the park early.

biodtl
01-12-2009, 03:28 PM
I was fully prepared to hate this, but it really wasn't that bad. Except that I was a nervous wreck that I was going to lose our cards.