PDA

View Full Version : Dive Quest at Epcot

NicksNitro
01-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Heading to the World Feb 6-12. Have booked a dive at Dive Quest. Has anyone done this and if so how was your experience?

MarkC
01-07-2009, 10:40 AM
I've asked this question before but had no response-- how much time do you actually spend with the dolphins? Do you swim with them or do they just swim up to you while you stand in waist deep water? Any advice would be great as we're thinking of doing this in August. Nick, if nothing else you'll have to report on your adventure. I'm very interested on your thoughts. Mark

scottgr
01-07-2009, 10:59 AM
I did dive quest last Oct. It was a blast. I am going to do it again next DEC. Best part was a fish and sharks in the tank. I got to bottom and shark was swimming right by me. When you do the drive you are not in the tank with the dolphins. They are actually separate from the rest of the fish. You are in the tank with the sharks, fish and turtles. I know there is another program with the dolphins, but in dive quest you do not swim with them. The whole experience is SOOO COOOOLLLLLL ...:mickey: Let me know if you have other questions.

NicksNitro
01-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks for your replies guys. I will report back after my my trip. We can't wait!!!!:D

garymacd
01-07-2009, 08:08 PM
I did it two years ago when I had a day to myself. My beloved wife was visiting friends who came down from St. Petersburg for the day.

It was a blast! We had close to an hour bottom time and got to interact with people having dinner at the Coral Reef restaurant. I also had a close encounter with a shark that swam right past me shortly after I got in the water.

You will not spend any time with the dolphins - at least we didn't. We were actually warned to stay away from the fence separating the dolphin enclosure from the rest of the tank. They are too protective.

You do not have to take any equipment with you other than your C card. Actually, you won't be allowed to use any of your own equipment other than your mask. If you have a prescription mask, bring it with you. Even if you don't have a prescription mask, bring it. That was the only drawback to the entire encounter. My mask was so uncomfortable, I just wanted to rip it off and swim bare faced.

If you are travelling with family or friends, have them wait on the underwater bridge. You will have a video record of your dive and your family in the background of the shot. You will have to find them and wait while the dive master with the camera comes up to you.

I think the entire experience lasted about two hours. You will receive an educational lecture, video and a list of do's and don'ts while in the tank. At the end of the experience, you will be given a record for your dive log, and a chance to purchase a copy of the disc they made of your dive. The cost is nominal and covers the cost of the disc, copying and a donation to a charitable organisation.

Have a great time. Wish I could join you.

pilk
01-07-2009, 08:14 PM
We did both the Dive Quest and Dolphin Quest last April. The interaction was great on both of the tours.

As far as Dive Quest goes you meet at the guest services area outside the park. CMs lead you into the living seas building via the "back door" to a lounge area were you watch a video and get a briefing on the activities. From there it is off to the change rooms then once in your wetsuits you get marched through the center area of the living seas past all the other guests. Continuing into the access area of the actually aquarium. The dive is 40mins. Even if you have air left 40 mins is all you get. During the dive they do some quick video clips of the group. Once the dive is over you are given a quick tour then off to get changed and fill out the log books.

Couple things: You can't bring any personal gear with the exception of a mask. If you have family with you they can't go on the tour but they can watch you during the dive and even get in the video with you. Watch the sharks they have a "track" they follow. Just don't get in their way. It is a great time. There was one guy in our group that has done it 13 times.

NicksNitro
01-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks again guys! DW and myself get really stoked reading your replies!

Laughin' place
01-12-2009, 01:36 PM
We did the non-scuba version (where you have air tanks but must stay on/near the surface in June, and it was an all-time highlight. The aquatic animals come very close, and its really fun to interact with guests outside the tank. My DW and sons LOVED it!

scooterca42
01-15-2009, 12:03 PM
It was amazing. I sent you an IM.

Mickey91
01-17-2009, 04:07 PM
My sister did this one year and absolutely loved it!! She said the fish that are normally skittish in the ocean would actually let you quite near. She thought it was amazing.:mickey: