PDA

View Full Version : Best Epcot Value for Kids

djbinding
01-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Traveling with four 10and 11 yr olds. Knowing that they all are considered adults, but eat like kids. Where is the best bang for the buck at Epcot?

It kills me to spend that kind of money on a kid who has to order an entree and just picks at the food.:newyear:

MickeyMousse
01-07-2009, 09:51 AM
We really enjoy the Cantina de San Angel with our 2 DS's, ages 11 and 7. The food is good and usually runs us about $25. It's counter service and you can sit near the lagoon and get great views of World Showcase. We go there for a late lunch and it holds us until dessert time in Norway!

DisneyFr33k
01-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Are you on the dining plan? If not, your kids could share an adult meal. We love Rose and Crown - the kids could share a fish and chips meal as that is huge! Another good option for kids sharing an adult meal is Le Cellier or Coral Reef as those portions are quite big too. We went to San Angel in once, and that was our last. Our food was mediocre at best. It also depends on your food tastes and how adventuresome your children are as well. Have fun and happy eating!!! :eat:

Daisy712
01-07-2009, 10:45 AM
This is exactly why we don't do the DDP. My 12 year old would never eat enough food to make it worth the cost. We can eat much cheaper splitting meals. We would waste too much food with the DDP. I wish Disney would have a tween price. Thinking that most 10-13 year olds will eat two adult meals per day is ridiculous.

SBETigg
01-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Garden Grill, Biergarten, and Akershus are all buffets/family style and might give you more options for the kids to pick and choose what they want without leaving big portions behind.

San Angel Inn is a favorite for my kids. They usually enjoy everything they order. The atmosphere is fantastic. The food gets mixed reviews, but my kids love it.

Teppan Edo might also be a good choice. Fun food served in courses, hibachi style cooking. The kids have fun watching the cooking and usually end up eating along with the show.

MOJoe
01-07-2009, 11:20 AM
I have the same problem. I hate paying the adult price for my teen who eats child sized portions. For that reason, we do not use the dining plan, and also tend to stay away from buffets. That way, we can order a la carte, and generally not pay for way more food than we want - or need. So at Epcot, Marrakesh and Rose & Crown make the cut. The Biergarden does not.

djbinding
01-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Can I find menu prices posted anywhere?

SBETigg
01-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Menus at Info Central (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/menus/default.asp). Just keep in mind that they're not all current and subject to change, but it offers a good basic idea.

Can I find menu prices posted anywhere?

And I think a previous poster misrepresented Rose and Crown and Marrakesh menus. They do not offer a la carte menus. I think the poster meant that you can order a meal vs family style/buffet dining. Actual a la carte dining would mean that you order each meal item separately vs being served a full entree complete with accompaniments. Portions at Rose & Crown and Marrakesh are also fairly large, but prices may be more accommodating depending on what is ordered.

mudpuppysmom
01-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Our DS (6) eats very well at the Land. He can get what he wants there and I know he's going to eat it if he picks it. For us -- eating is half the battle so that is value in my mind -- we're not throwing away half a meal.

As for WS places....Biergarten seems to be the place that DS eats the best. This last trip in December though he ate his entire dinner (well minus the succotash -- who eats that??) at Tokyo Dining, plus half my rice (I think he might have been really hungry!!)

Look over the menues and see what your kids might eat and then go from there.

djbinding
01-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Do the restauants enforce age requirements for kids. Seems like Disney considers kids over 9 as adults. Would an 11 yr old be able to order from the kids menu?

SBETigg
01-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Do the restauants enforce age requirements for kids. Seems like Disney considers kids over 9 as adults. Would an 11 yr old be able to order from the kids menu?

An eleven year old can order from the kids menu, but a nine year old can't order an adult meal if you've paid for the kids' plan on the Dining Plan. So they enforce it one way, but not the other. Though they do request in some places that people over age ten order from the adult menus, I have never heard of someone not being allowed to order a kids' meal, and I know some adults who do so, too.

If you're going without the Dining Plan in that case, it's a great option for light eaters. But if you're on the Dining Plan, it's not cost effective to pay for an adult plan and get kids meals. Though, for convenience, some might do it occasionally anyway.

princessesmom
01-08-2009, 12:18 PM
If they are light eaters and can share meals or would prefer to order from the children's menu, you are probably better off not getting the dining plan. Unless you plan to do a lot of buffets where you will have to pay adult prices for them.

My children are 13, 11, 7, and 4. We are planning to eat at GC and LeCellier for our February trip. Both new places for us. We have eaten at Biergarten in the past - which we have all always enjoyed. It is German food which isn't my favorite but there is a lot of variety and everyone can find something they like. The kids love the entertainment! The atmosphere is very festive.

mouseketeer mom
01-08-2009, 01:04 PM
I recommend Garden Grill. This is a hit for everyone in our family. Food is served family style, a platter of the "adult" foods, a platter of more child friendly foods. Anyone in the family could eat off of either platter, and you can ask for more of anything on either platter! Delicious food served in a rotating restaurant with views of The Land ride!!

MarkC
01-08-2009, 03:31 PM
If your kids are into Oriental food, there are cheap restaurants at China and Japan that you can eat very reasonably. I think the Teryaki chicken and rice is about $5-6 at Japan, and orange chicken and rice at China is about the same. They can get full on both. We eat there all the time and the food is good. I do recommend Biergarten if you can afford it. Lots of good food and a great atmosphere. Other than that, look for a place that would have a pizza they could split. Also, don't forget Ice Station Cool where they can try different sodas for free. Have fun.

biodtl
01-12-2009, 04:11 PM
My kids really love Teppan Edo. It's not particularly cheap, but they do eat well here and it's fresh, healthy food. We always do the DDP, but even if we didn't, it would be worth it to get them something good for them that they actually eat.

kemps@wdw
01-12-2009, 11:17 PM
My DD and I always share an entree'. Don't be afraid to ask if your kids, and even you and DH for that matter, can order off the kids menu. Some will say yes and some will say no. But you won't know til you ask. :shrug: