PDA

View Full Version : Magic Kingdom poster (circa 1970's)

MarkC
01-06-2009, 09:44 AM
I have a friend at work who, like all of us, is a Disney fanatic. Her Mom is doing a Disneyland room, so graciously gave me a couple of Disneyworld items. One of them is a poster which has to be from the early 1970's. It is a map of Magic Kingdom and is probably almost 3' x 3' on good paper stock. There is no splash mountain or BTMRR, nor is there Toontown fair or a lot of Disney attractions. Does anyone have an idea what year this is from, or what this may be worth? I almost felt like I couldn't accept it but she wanted us to have it. She also gave us a "mickey ears" hat that had to be from the same time period. Obviously she is a very nice person. All I did was loan her some of my camera lenses for last trip so I feel I came out way ahead on this.

If anyone has any knowledge or thoughts on this poster I would appreciate it. Thanks, Mark

Scott C
01-06-2009, 02:54 PM
I think that I have that map -- actually I believe that there were two different ones during the seventies -- 1 with space mountain and one earlier. They don't seem to bring all of that much money on auction sites -- seems like $30-$40 or so. Do you know which one you have??

Thanks
Scott C

MarkC
01-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Scott, I checked at home last night and Space Mountain is NOT on there. I'm guessing that makes it even a little older. Any info you or anyone has would be appreciated. Mark

Scott C
01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
I think that is the map that I bought on my '74 trip. I know it changed to the new style in '75. I do not know when your map first came out, but we have it narrowed down to the '71-74 time frame -- It might have been available all of those years or not.

BTW- I was out your way in July -- to the Strategic Air Command Museum--they have really improved it since I was there 10 years ago.

Thanks
Scott C

MarkC
01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Scott,

Thanks a million for your help on this. And you are right about the museum. I've been able to attend a couple of charity dinners there recently and it is a great place. I've heard the flight simulator is very realistic and you better not have a full stomach when doing it. Thanks again. If you are ever headed out this direction again send me a private email. I'll provide you whatever advice I can. Mark

CaptSmee
02-11-2009, 11:04 PM
I have that map too! I love to pull it out once in awhile and look at Mr. Toad's Wild Ride or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea on it! I keep it folded up for now in pristine condition but want to frame it some day!