PDA

View Full Version : Dues

locutus
01-05-2009, 01:15 AM
Has anyone else gotten there 2009 dues bill yet? Disney raised them again--alot. My dues for 320 points went up over 200 bucks. Economy hurtin youd think they would mayby keep them at least the same as last year. :mad:

vizsla
01-05-2009, 05:05 AM
The dues goes up every year on average of 3 to 5%. You have to expect the dues to go up every year when the operating expenses increase, someone has to to pay for it.

Here we go again...
01-05-2009, 07:40 AM
The dues goes up every year on average of 3 to 5%. You have to expect the dues to go up every year when the operating expenses increase, someone has to to pay for it.

I posted this in another thread:

I am still trying to figure out my dues. I just paid SSR for 2009 and paid $922.
Last year I paid $727. for the same points.

It looks like the year before we over paid on estimated taxes... That is a huge difference though. Is this normal?

I put away $800 in anticipation of our dues but the $922 caught me off guard. Do the dues normally fluctuate this much?

That is a lot more than 5%. I thought that if I put away $800 I would be more than safe. Since I have not been a DVC owner that long I do not know what to expect in the future. Is it normal to see an increase like this often?
The fee per point did not go up much, so it does not seem right.

VWL Mom
01-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Mine at VWL went up $70 on 282 points. I didn't think that was too bad since they did a ton of work there last year.

Your increase seems a bit higher. Did you own for all of 2008?

VWL Mom
01-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Never mind, just read your signature and you did. Hmmm....

DVC Mike
01-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Has anyone else gotten there 2009 dues bill yet? Disney raised them again--alot.

Disney raised rates in 2009 as follows:

OKW - 3.7%
BWV - 3.4%
VWL - 3.6%
BCV - 4.2%
SSR - 3.1%
AKV - 3.3%

That is very reasonable, and certainly not "a lot".

Here we go again...
01-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Disney raised rates in 2009 as follows:

OKW - 3.7%
BWV - 3.4%
VWL - 3.6%
BCV - 4.2%
SSR - 3.1%
AKV - 3.3%

That is very reasonable, and certainly not "a lot".

Any idea what would cause a $200 increase on 210 points? locutus must have had the same problem I am running into but I can not get a reply from DVC.
I just want to understand... and be prepared if this is going to happen each year.

Here we go again...
01-07-2009, 12:21 PM
My reply from DVC:

Hi, Angel. Thank you for your e-mail. The difference was that you
received a credit of $221.50 because you had paid the estimated property
taxes last year. The actual taxes ended up being lower for the Orange
County Tax Department taxed the property as undeveloped land, rather
than developed property. Your Bay Lake membership's dues are not owed
till 10/01/09, which is $122.70. Hope this helped. Please feel free to
contact us if you have any further questions. Have a great day, and
Happy New Year of 2009 to you, Angel. :)

That explains it. ;)

Wow, when I posted this I realized the smile they put on the end of their email turned into one of our smilies. Cool....

locutus
01-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Im just dissapointed to themthemgo up at all considering the rough financial times we are all in. Even if they were kept the same as last year, they would still be making a killing. People say "Hows that"?. Consider your one family paying such high dues every year....for all those members per resort..WOW! Im actually contemplating selling. My 1400+ per year (just for a room), I think id be better off selling and getting a 1400 dollar package that includes park admissions.

DizneyRox
01-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Dues have nothing to do with the economy. They still need to maintain the property, pay the housekeeping, etc.

Ian
01-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Personally, I don't think the $700 they charged me for a whole year is bad at all. That's like a shade over $50 a month and that includes upkeep and taxes on the entire resort. I can't even imagine what that runs for a year.

Heck, my homeowner's association payment is almost double that and that gets me next-to-nothing!

TennesseeTink
01-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Heck, my homeowner's association payment is almost double that and that gets me next-to-nothing!

Excellent point;)

DizneeRX
01-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Personally, I don't think the $700 they charged me for a whole year is bad at all. That's like a shade over $50 a month and that includes upkeep and taxes on the entire resort. I can't even imagine what that runs for a year.

Yes, for a whole year, this wouldn't be too bad. But in reality, this $700 is only for the days you use the resort - that's, what? - 7 to 10 days? - That's anywhere from $70 to $100 PER DAY in dues!

IMO, that's a bit steep...

Ian
01-13-2009, 10:18 AM
It's actually more like 15 days, but your point is still valid.

However, consider the fact that if I get 15 days vacation a year for 50 years out of my contract that's 750 total vacation days over the length of my contract.

We paid about $14,000 for our contract. That works out to $18 per day. The $700 per year adds on $47 per day, for a total of $65 a day.

lockedoutlogic
01-13-2009, 10:42 AM

However, consider the fact that if I get 15 days vacation a year for 50 years out of my contract that's 750 total vacation days over the length of my contract.

We paid about $14,000 for our contract. That works out to $18 per day. The $700 per year adds on $47 per day, for a total of $65 a day.

if you are a frequent offender at WDW...DVC offers a tremendous value over the whole length of the contract.....simple inflation will guarantee that.

But there is a big danger that seems to be manifesting itself on this discussion...

There is no way to cap how much dues will go up. And since that could greatly increase the cost over the term of the contract, it's important that people not go overboard with their point banks - which they seem to do.

Start small....then buy more if needed. My impression is that alot of people (on sites such as this) seem to be not too sure if they are even going to purchase....then they go ahead and make "the leap" and buy 275 points.

That's alot of dues....and it probably isn't necessary to have so many points for most...at least not at the start.

But i see what people do: they don't really manipulate the bank. Going on "easter/passover/useless spring break" isn't the wise way to go....nor is going at christmas or thanksgiving...
If it's two adults and 2 small children or an infant.....a two bedroom is overkill.....in most cases, two studios are a much better point value than the larger accomodations...

I would say buyer: beware. The dues don't seem like alot when you are happily signing your contract. I don't really mind them at all....but they are not fixed. And that is dangerous at Disney. They will use them to supplement their operating budget more if they don't like the bottomline...rest assured.

So it's all about choices. If you buy the appropriate amount of points and use them wisely...you might end up getting your rooms at 1/5th the current rack rate. If you are paying 3000 a year in dues and get 8 nights out of it....you're gonna be back close to retail price.

Ian
01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
I do agree with that ... that's why we only bought the 160 point minimum when we first joined.

We also work very hard to maximize what we get from our point bank ... avoiding weekends, going during Adventure season, etc.

We quickly realized, though, that for the size accomodations we prefer and how often we like to visit that 160 points wasn't enough ... hence the 200 point BLT add-on.

LynneM
01-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Im just dissapointed to themthemgo up at all considering the rough financial times we are all in. Even if they were kept the same as last year, they would still be making a killing. People say "Hows that"?. Consider your one family paying such high dues every year....for all those members per resort..WOW! Im actually contemplating selling. My 1400+ per year (just for a room), I think id be better off selling and getting a 1400 dollar package that includes park admissions.

I think you misunderstand what the dues are for...have you looked at the operating expense info that DVC sends you every year?

The dues are not profit for Disney. They cover the operating expenses for the resort. Think of it like a condo fee, where all the condo owners kick in to pay for the cleaning of the common areas, taking away the trash, general upkeep of the property and building.

So Disney can't just lower the dues because they want to be nice to people in an bad economy (and that's not how a capitalist economy works anyway :D). Operating expenses go up every year, just because products and services generally cost more every year. If they cut our dues, they have to pay the housekeepers less. Or the front desk CMs. Or run buses to the parks less often. Or take away the trash less often. Or mow the lawn less often.

Ian
01-13-2009, 11:24 AM
As an owner I should definitely know this, but are the resorts independently audited in terms of dues, maintenance expenses, etc.?

Aurora
01-13-2009, 01:51 PM
As an owner I should definitely know this, but are the resorts independently audited in terms of dues, maintenance expenses, etc.?

It's hard to figure out the legalese, but I believe this is required by Florida law. From the Florida Dept. of Revenue site:

Before the first sale of a timeshare period, the developer shall create or provide for a managing entity, which shall be either the developer, a separate manager or management firm, the board of administration of an owners' association, or some combination thereof. ...

The duties of the managing entity include, but are not limited to: ...

...Arranging for an annual independent audit of all the books and financial records of the timeshare plan by a certified public accountant in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards as defined by the rules of the Board of Accountancy of the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.

A copy of the audit shall be filed with the division and forwarded to the officers of the owners' association, or, if no association exists, the owner of each timeshare period shall be notified that such audit is available upon request.

Ian
01-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Okay, cool. Just checking! :blush:

Aurora
01-13-2009, 02:04 PM
A look at the dues history of OKW (the oldest DVC resort), shows an average increase of 3.6 percent a year. Here are the percentage increases by year:

1992 2
1993 2.7
1994 2.6
1995 5.1
1996 5.2
1997 5
1998 1
1999 -.03
2000 0
2001 -1
2002 2.8
2003 8.3
2004 5.4
2005 4.9
2006 9.8
2007 3.7
2008 3.6
2009 3.7

Obviously there were a couple of big jumps, and a couple of years when dues actually went down, but I couldn't tell you the reasons. Maybe an OKW owner can.

DizneeRX
01-13-2009, 02:12 PM

15 days? - Sure, if you stay in a studio, but from prior posts, (yes, I have this “thing” about timeshares and read almost all of the DVC threads….), you seem to go for the 1 bedroom suites, right? So, based on the TimeShare Store’s DVC point chart, you would get 8 days in a 1 bedroom (2 Sunday – Thursday stays) for 160 points.

So for 8 days, just the dues would be $87.50 per day – this year. add the $18.00 fo your contract and you're at $105.50 / day...this year.

But in 10 years, where will you be? Taking your $700 payment @ a modest 3.5% annual increase and your dues will be $987.50 (approx. $123.00 per day). + $18.00 for your contract and you're at $141.00 / day.

20 years? using the same 3.5% annual increase it comes to $1392 for the dues ( $174.00 / day) +$18.00 for a total of $192.00 / day.

In 50 years? same 3.5% annual increase in dues and it comes to $3909 for the dues ($488.00/day) + $18 for a grand total of $506.00/day.

That's a big leap from $65.00 per day....

Ian
01-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Well yeah, but that's my personal choice. I was obviously speaking from the bottom line, but the value proposition is still identical because by staying in the 1BR I'm taking advantage of more luxurious and, thereforce, higher dollar value accomodations.

Just for FYI purposes, a 1BR at Saratoga currently goes for around $500 a night so even at $105 a day or whatever I'm still OBVIOUSLY getting a great value.

And again ... the rate of increase of the dues is irrelevant as long as it outpaces the rate of inflation. In 1974 the cost of a night's stay at the Contemporary was about $30 a night. Now it's about $400 a night. That's an increase of about 1,233.33% over the last 35 years.

Assuming your DVC dues were the same $30 and that they increased by 3.5% a year over that same time period you'd only be up to about $103.50 per night.

Pretty significant difference, eh?

DizneyRox
01-13-2009, 03:23 PM
We quickly realized, though, that for the size accomodations we prefer and how often we like to visit that 160 points wasn't enough ... hence the 200 point BLT add-on.
Ian, did you guys actually spend some time thinking through the options at 160 points, and now an adidtional 200 points?

I'm just curious, as we (me) seem to be in the minority on what we choose for our points. Our first contract we thought about 2 days on the amount of points we really needed. We went back and forth on when it's just us what we could do, what we would realistically be able to do with a child(or two) and then again when we got older. Changing room preferences from studio to 1BR and back, and even various times during the year and how if we went for a week this year, we could do a week at Christmas next, or we could bank and borrow one year to go hog wild, etc. Honestly, you even need to plan for NOT getting the actual accomodations, it may be necessary to upgrade/downgrade if your dates aren't flexible, etc.

Really it was a bad flashback to my discreet math class!

What we ultimately settled on was perfect. And, when we went through the process again, out came all the scenarios again, although this time we actually had real world experience with what and how it all worked. The idea is to limit your costs in dues but still get what you NEED out of the points.

Did you do the same? Have others?

In looking at the resales, I see mostly clean point allotments, 150, 200, 300, or the smaller add-ons 25, 50, etc. None of those numbers ever worked in any of our calculations, we saw a lot of "waste" be it unused points, large amounts of carry over, or frequent borrowing to cover odd length vacations, etc.

Any thoughts around this? Maybe we're just weird! :D

Ian
01-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Speaking very honestly, when we bought SSR no. We just bought the minimum to "dip our toes in the water."

But when we bought BLT, absolutely. We planned out exactly what we'd want to use those points for each year (which came to about 196 points per year) and just rounded up to 200 to give ourselves a buffer.

We even considered things like possible job changes that would reduce our ability to vacation as frequently, when the kids might stop coming with us, etc.

MarkC
01-13-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't like paying the dues more than anyone else, but we keep needing to remind ourselves that this is not a motel, this a building that we are all owners of. We expect it to be nice when we use it to protect our ownership and our enjoyment when we visit, so this is the cost of it. I just consider myself ridiculously fortunate enough to own a Disney timeshare, as most people I know can never afford to even visit WDW once in their lifetimes. For me it's like my season football, basketball,baseball and volleyball tickets-- I cringe when I pay the bills, but then I forget about it and enjoy it. It's why I work. Mark

DizneeRX
01-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Well yeah, but that's my personal choice. I was obviously speaking from the bottom line, but the value proposition is still identical because by staying in the 1BR I'm taking advantage of more luxurious and, thereforce, higher dollar value accomodations.

Just for FYI purposes, a 1BR at Saratoga currently goes for around $500 a night so even at $105 a day or whatever I'm still OBVIOUSLY getting a great value.

And again ... the rate of increase of the dues is irrelevant as long as it outpaces the rate of inflation. In 1974 the cost of a night's stay at the Contemporary was about $30 a night. Now it's about $400 a night. That's an increase of about 1,233.33% over the last 35 years.

Assuming your DVC dues were the same $30 and that they increased by 3.5% a year over that same time period you'd only be up to about $103.50 per night.

Pretty significant difference, eh?

Um, yeah, okay...:rolleyes:

You really didn't buy that "1,233% increase" line from your DVC salesman, did you? It's really pretty simple to do the math yourself - I'll help you:

The cost of a night's stay at the Contemporary increased 6.8% annually over those 35 years.

I have no idea what the price of a night at the Contemporary was in 1974, so I'll accept your $30.00 starting point. A quick search of some travel sites, using some random dates and - voila! - The Contemporary for $299.00 / night. Use a simple present value formula and solve the rate...6.8%

To your other points - I can get in to Saratoga for about $180 - 200 per night by renting some of the many available DVC points. $200 - not $500.

The rate of increase of the dues is relevant because, well, this is a thread about the increase in dues...

As an aside - did your salesman also tell you about the 400 gajillion% increase in the price of an AK ticket? He should have - it's in their script.

But anyway...when this kind of misleading, incorrect and blatantly wrong information is presented...well, it's just a shame that some people might actually believe it.

Hammer
01-14-2009, 01:33 AM
I do not think the rise in dues is out of line at all. I bought my DVC membership through resale, so no one gave me a sales pitch. I came to my decision to buy my 150 points at SSR through doing my own research and analyze my WDW accommodation expenses. Before I bought DVC, I would go to WDW for a 5 night trip every October, alternating between staying at a lower end deluxe hotel (Wilderness Lodge) and Coronado Springs. My hotel room costs for Coronado were $755 (in 2006, incl. tax) and $1055 for Wilderness Lodge (in 2007, incl.tax). Contrast that with the cost of my 2009 DVC dues, which are $659 and you see I am coming out ahead, plus I have more points left which allow to make additional short trips when I visit my parents in Clearwater.

Let's look at it another way. I am staying for one night in a 1-BR at SSR on March 8 (attending the Braves/Phillies game that afternoon) using 27 points. Renting those points from someone would cost me $297 (using a cost of $11/pt). Per Expedia and Travelocity (Orbitz kept crashing my browser), the cost of a 1 BR at SSR on March 8 is $380 without tax. WDW is running a special at that time and if a 1 BR at SSR was available, the rate I think would be $259 (I'm sending a PM to Nanci and MJ for verification). This is just the cost for one night. I stay 3 nights, and it is the same price as my dues.

Oh, I could just stay at lower level (in the WDW hotel matrix) or smaller accommodations, but truthfully I don't want to. I want as much space to spread out and relax as my money can buy as that is what a vacation is to me.

Aurora
01-14-2009, 09:48 AM

You really didn't buy that "1,233% increase" line from your DVC salesman, did you? It's really pretty simple to do the math yourself - I'll help you:

The cost of a night's stay at the Contemporary increased 6.8% annually over those 35 years.

I have no idea what the price of a night at the Contemporary was in 1974, so I'll accept your $30.00 starting point. A quick search of some travel sites, using some random dates and - voila! - The Contemporary for $299.00 / night. Use a simple present value formula and solve the rate...6.8%

To your other points - I can get in to Saratoga for about $180 - 200 per night by renting some of the many available DVC points. $200 - not $500.

The rate of increase of the dues is relevant because, well, this is a thread about the increase in dues...

As an aside - did your salesman also tell you about the 400 gajillion% increase in the price of an AK ticket? He should have - it's in their script.

But anyway...when this kind of misleading, incorrect and blatantly wrong information is presented...well, it's just a shame that some people might actually believe it.

Why is the 1,200 percent increase not valid? Even if you use your $299 current sale room rate, it's still nearly a 1,000 percent increase. And if you use your 6.8 percent annual rate increase, it's still nearly twice as much as a 3.5 percent annual dues increase, which compounded makes a huge difference.

And yes, there's no way to cap how much dues go up, but we at least have a bit of history in OKW. So if you assumed in 1992 that rates would go up by an average of 3.5 percent a year, by 2009 you would have been right.

Hammer
01-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Just to add that I got the 1-BR price from Nanci at MJ. It is $379, plus tax for a 1-br on March 8th.

DizneeRX
01-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Why is the 1,200 percent increase not valid? Even if you use your $299 current sale room rate, it's still nearly a 1,000 percent increase. And if you use your 6.8 percent annual rate increase, it's still nearly twice as much as a 3.5 percent annual dues increase, which compounded makes a huge difference.

And yes, there's no way to cap how much dues go up, but we at least have a bit of history in OKW. So if you assumed in 1992 that rates would go up by an average of 3.5 percent a year, by 2009 you would have been right.

Why? Because it's misleading, disingenuous, and does not follow any generally accepted method for presenting that type of information. That ridiculous number is used for only one reason - to create a sense of urgency in the prospective buyer to get him or her to buy quickly. No other reason.

Look - do you have a mortgage? Car loan? credit card? or a savings account? CD? mutual funds? investment account? How is the "rate" information handled on those? It's shown annually - and do you know why? To give the customers a fair opportunity to evaluate the products.

And to be clear - that is not MY 6.8% annual rate. The annual rate IS 6.8%. Nothing hidden, no agendas, don't care if you buy this or not - 6.8% annual rate.

By the way - I saw earlier in the thread that you wrote that OKW dues have increased an average of 3.6% per year. Why did you chose to state the increase in that manner? Why 3.6% per year? Why not "OKW dues have increased 88% since 1991?"

DizneeRX
01-14-2009, 09:27 PM
I do not think the rise in dues is out of line at all. I bought my DVC membership through resale, so no one gave me a sales pitch. I came to my decision to buy my 150 points at SSR through doing my own research and analyze my WDW accommodation expenses. Before I bought DVC, I would go to WDW for a 5 night trip every October, alternating between staying at a lower end deluxe hotel (Wilderness Lodge) and Coronado Springs. My hotel room costs for Coronado were $755 (in 2006, incl. tax) and $1055 for Wilderness Lodge (in 2007, incl.tax). Contrast that with the cost of my 2009 DVC dues, which are $659 and you see I am coming out ahead, plus I have more points left which allow to make additional short trips when I visit my parents in Clearwater.

Let's look at it another way. I am staying for one night in a 1-BR at SSR on March 8 (attending the Braves/Phillies game that afternoon) using 27 points. Renting those points from someone would cost me $297 (using a cost of $11/pt). Per Expedia and Travelocity (Orbitz kept crashing my browser), the cost of a 1 BR at SSR on March 8 is $380 without tax. WDW is running a special at that time and if a 1 BR at SSR was available, the rate I think would be $259 (I'm sending a PM to Nanci and MJ for verification). This is just the cost for one night. I stay 3 nights, and it is the same price as my dues.

Oh, I could just stay at lower level (in the WDW hotel matrix) or smaller accommodations, but truthfully I don't want to. I want as much space to spread out and relax as my money can buy as that is what a vacation is to me.

I'm really not sure why you (and Ian) insist on comparing the DVC annual dues to the current price of a room. That's apples to oranges. If you take the time to read my original post, I was commenting that, IMO, the annual dues, particularly when you look at them "per day", are high... especially after you've already paid - what? $13,000 or $14,000 upfront for your "vacations", IMO.

Hammer
01-14-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm really not sure why you (and Ian) insist on comparing the DVC annual dues to the current price of a room. That's apples to oranges. If you take the time to read my original post, I was commenting that, IMO, the annual dues, particularly when you look at them "per day", are high... especially after you've already paid - what? $13,000 or $14,000 upfront for your "vacations", IMO.

I won't presume to speak for Ian, but for the size of accommodations you can use with your points, it is worth it to me. I like 1 bedroom accommodations when my sister and I go so we have room to spread out. When Mom and Dad join us, we like 2 bedroom villas. The cost for these rooms would be expensive if I booked them through Disney or rented DVC points. Basically, I see it as paying ahead for most of my vacations. We are not going to agree on this topic, but neither of us is wrong because it is our personal opinions.

Aurora
01-15-2009, 01:18 AM
Why? Because it's misleading, disingenuous, and does not follow any generally accepted method for presenting that type of information. That ridiculous number is used for only one reason - to create a sense of urgency in the prospective buyer to get him or her to buy quickly. No other reason.

Look - do you have a mortgage? Car loan? credit card? or a savings account? CD? mutual funds? investment account? How is the "rate" information handled on those? It's shown annually - and do you know why? To give the customers a fair opportunity to evaluate the products.

And to be clear - that is not MY 6.8% annual rate. The annual rate IS 6.8%. Nothing hidden, no agendas, don't care if you buy this or not - 6.8% annual rate.

By the way - I saw earlier in the thread that you wrote that OKW dues have increased an average of 3.6% per year. Why did you chose to state the increase in that manner? Why 3.6% per year? Why not "OKW dues have increased 88% since 1991?"

I could have, but I was talking about dues rates at the time, not room rates, and I was trying to compare apples to apples.

I actually think a much better illustration is just knowing what the dollar-per-point dues are each year. Percentages, any way you look at it, are only tools to help you project what you can expect your dues to be in the future as it relates to your dollar-per-point cost.

In other words, knowing annual rate increases only helps me if I can extrapolate that to my dues rate in dollars -- for example, if I think I can afford an increase from, for example at OKW, $2.5 dollars per point in 1991 to $4.4 dollars in 2009.

Yes, that's a 76 percent increase over that period of time, but if I own 200 points, that's only $380 dollars more in 2009 than in 1991. And IMHO, that's very reasonable.

As opposed to Hammer and Ian, I also add in the original cost of buying into DVC to determine my room cost, but that's a debate for another thread. ;)

Here we go again...
01-16-2009, 11:29 PM

I guess DVC is not right for some people. For us it is great. The 1 and 2 bedroom villa we use are worth a lot more to us than sitting down trying to figure out whether or not we are coming out ahead on this deal.

We purchased DVC not just for us, but for our kids and grand kids. The original money put down was our gift to them. It can not be factored in at any point... it is a done deal.
So, going forward, we pay (or they pay after we are gone) dues only and have points at SSR and Bay Lake. Enough points that both of my daughters can visit 2 times a year unless they want to go at Christmas.

BTW... there was no sales pitch with DVC. We saw the rooms, got information and we were sent on our way. No pressure, no information unless we asked for it. I hope it is the same for everyone else. I like knowing that there is no pressure with DVC.

dlpmikki
01-17-2009, 03:35 AM
Guys, can we please keep on topic. This was originally about how much the dues are this year. It is not about how DVC may be trying to sell itself. We have separate topics for pros and cons of DVC - please keep those types of discussion there. Thank you. :)