PDA

View Full Version : 09' Healthy Living Club

Carol
01-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Share your diet (healthy living) - excercise - lifestyle questions, concerns, tips and experiences here!

Good Luck, Everyone! :scale:

:hurdle: :walk: :rope: :strong: :lift: :trampo: :bowl:

stitchaholic
01-02-2009, 07:37 AM
i have been doing the biggest loser club since july,it is a great online program! if you have any questions about it,just ask...

i am looking to buy a treadmill and would love some feedback on models of treadmills that are a good quality for a low(or somewhat low price),something that i will be able to run on.

cer
01-02-2009, 09:38 AM
We own a Precor treadmill. I would not call it inexpensive by any means, but it can certainly take a run.

JanetMegan
01-02-2009, 09:43 AM
I have one that I use (not as often as I should) I think the key for me was finding the widest one possible. Mine was fairly inexpensive (as far as they go, I paid about $450) I need to get back on it ASAP ;)

I'm actually trying to get kick started back into fitness for the new year. (Starting Monday-who can start this type of thing mid-week right?) I'm signed up for some more classes at my county for a kickboxing workout and a body scuplt workout.

TheDuckRocks
01-02-2009, 11:23 AM
OK, I know that most of you think I'm crazy (if you haven't figured that out already), but I had a good day yesterday with my eating.
Oh, big deal you say! Well for me it is. I've put on half of the 70 pounds I lost in the past couple of years on Weight Watchers and have spent the past 6 months daily saying, "Today I'm going to eat properly" and by the end of the day I hadn't.:mad:
One day at a time! (Gee, that would be a catchy title for a TV show.:D) And maybe that will add up to a week and then a month and maybe even become a way of living for the rest of my life.

cer
01-02-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm actually trying to get kick started back into fitness for the new year. (Starting Monday-who can start this type of thing mid-week right?)

OK, girl, I will be starting up with you. I had been doing so well and then the holidays...I am desparately trying to get re-motivated. So Monday it is!

Also, "TheDuckRocks" - keep up the good work and congratulations on your successes yesterday. "Successes" because every meal, snack, taste - was you making the better choice.

I sadly have been blowing off my food choices lately (she types as she sips on a Coke...)

I am glad you are all here and I am encouraged by everyone's fight for fitness!

JanetMegan
01-02-2009, 12:09 PM
I know what you mean, I was doing so well in the Fall with diet, cutting back on :marg: and boot camp and then between Thanksgiving and Christmas it was a complete gluttonous mess! So starting Monday it's back on track (as she walks out the door to meet friends at Pizza Hut Buffet!)

cer
01-02-2009, 12:14 PM
(as she walks out the door to meet friends at Pizza Hut Buffet!)

LOL! :funny:So I'm not the only one...

K- I guess "We're All in This Together"

...that should be a song in a musical or something...

Pastcastmemberdaughter
01-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Good luck to everyone in the new year with their goals. :thumbsup::number1:

I've joined a Zumba and BodyCombat class. Both are quite enjoyable, so I'm hoping to keep with them.

TheDuckRocks
01-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Guess who just came home with the Dancing with the Stars exercise DVD, I told my hubby, "This should be fun to watch".:D Some how I don't think that's the idea.

SAHDad
01-03-2009, 06:56 PM
i am looking to buy a treadmill and would love some feedback on models of treadmills that are a good quality for a low(or somewhat low price),something that i will be able to run on.

We have a Fitline that we got a couple of years ago. I'd have to check my logs, but I think I have put better than 1250 miles on it, and DW has put 250 or so on it. If you do a google search for treadmill doctor, you can find a lot of helpful reviews - among them, a warning that Fitlines are horribly overpriced, but if you can get them for 50% of MSRP, they're not bad. And yes, we got ours on sale, so we weren't disappointed. For some reason, however, it has developed a permanent 2% incline, which makes running on it much harder.

If anyone has any questions about running, feel free to ask me, BTW.

Bethis26fan
01-04-2009, 10:39 AM
I was doing well till we went to disney then I kind of fell off. I gained 8 of the 17 lbs I had lost back. I changed my weigh in date to a tuesday. It's biggest loser day & I'm hoping that will help keep me going. My first small goal is to lose 12 lbs. We also got an elliptical machine, wow I didn't expect it to be so much harder. I could go 30 mins easy on the treadmill. That Elliptical I could only do 5. I'm just going to add time each day. So here we go.

jennbunn
01-04-2009, 09:45 PM
i am on my way to a healtheir lifestyle here for 09. after my husband lost his job last year and we had to put our dream vacation to disney on hold i fell off the diet. but now it is a new year, my husband found a new job and we are starting to talk about vacation again. i am not a big eater but i like to snack all day long. so i am working on eating better and start walking again.

Katzateer
01-05-2009, 08:17 AM
I have 2 tips that have helped me.

Finally, I have found a breakfast that satisfies me until lunch.

I cook 1 serving of regular (not instant) oatmeal in the microwave - it takes 4 minutes.
I put 5 or 6 frozen blueberries in a bowl, put the oatmeal on top and some ground cinnamon, then put a little soy milk.

The other tip is some seasonings that really add a lot of flavor to food. McCormick Grinders. They were on sale at the grocery a few months ago- half-price- so I tryed a few of them. The peppercorn medley, garlic pepper, and cinnamon grinder are the ones I have tryed.

I am having problems finding interesting things to eat for dinner. I have to take it with me 4 days a week and eat out of a cooler. There is a microwave available. I am really tired of salads and don't enjoy them as much in the winter.

Any good on-the-go dinner suggestions?

Dulcee
01-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Any good on-the-go dinner suggestions?

Soups! I'm a college senior with an apartment and no meal plan so learning how to cook healthy meals that fit in around study groups and classes hasn't been easy. The biggest time saver for me has been to spend sunday making two or three kinds of soups and freezing them in individual portions. Light soups like homemmade chicken and vegetable, mexican chicken, french onion (minus the cheese) and chinese mushroom soups all freeze fantastically and are warm and filling on cold winter days. Plus by freezing they last up to three months and you just pull it out and throw it in the microwave for a yummy homemade meal. If you have some extra time low fat dinner rolls, a handful of brown rice or a small serving of pasta make them even more filling.

Bethis26fan
01-06-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm happy & I have to share this. I made it 20 mins on the elliptical machine today. When I first started I thought I was going to die after only 5 mins.

Pastcastmemberdaughter
01-10-2009, 02:52 AM
Ok, I'm so excited I have to share. I weight myself today and I've lost 12 lbs. since November. WOO HOO! I haven't weighed myself since I started because I was worried about dissappointing myself, but I finally got brave enough today. Anyway sorry, I just needed to share!

Keep up the good work everyone! :mickey:

Bethis26fan
01-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Ok, I'm so excited I have to share. I weight myself today and I've lost 12 lbs. since November. WOO HOO! I haven't weighed myself since I started because I was worried about dissappointing myself, but I finally got brave enough today. Anyway sorry, I just needed to share!

Keep up the good work everyone! :mickey:

way to go!!!!:cheer:

citizensnoopy
01-10-2009, 11:43 AM
I think I need to join, haha. I put on a lot of weight last year during my third year of med school. Being in the hospital all the time is not really conducive to healthy food choices, and it's hard to get the energy to exercise when I finally do go home. I started making better food choices and exercising in September and have lost 42 pounds since then. I want to lose 15 to 20 more to be at my college weight. :)

IloveDisney71
01-11-2009, 07:00 PM
I lost 28 pounds on Weight Watchers and kept it off for 10 months and then gained 5 pounds since Thanksgiving. I told my family that next year someone else was taking over the family Christmas baking so I don't have it in my house! Anyway, I am going back to counting my points. I bought my fruit, oatmeal, slim-fast, and other "healthy" foods and started my healthy diet again today. Wish me luck! I'd love to lose this 5 pounds plus another 5!

JanetMegan
01-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Well I'm joining a gym tonight, I always think of that Friends episode "I want to quit the gym" but it's only $25 a month for 12 months and it has an indoor pool...

SBETigg
01-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Well I'm joining a gym tonight, I always think of that Friends episode "I want to quit the gym" but it's only $25 a month for 12 months and it has an indoor pool...

That's a great price for a gym with pool. Joining a gym made it easier for me to get active and stick with it. I think you'll love it.

Bethis26fan
01-12-2009, 12:15 PM

I love that I'm not the only one who thinks of "Friends" during real life. lol

TheDuckRocks
01-12-2009, 02:42 PM
I was down 2.5 lbs on my Saturday weigh in.:thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
01-12-2009, 04:39 PM
I was down 2.5 lbs on my Saturday weigh in.:thumbsup:

way to go:party:

JanetMegan
01-13-2009, 09:16 AM
So I had taken a boot camp session of classes from our local county last Fall, about 11 weeks twice a week. I enjoyed it. Well this am I went to boot camp at my new gym at 7:30. Apparently my previous boot camp was for chumps...I about died this am...

stitchaholic
01-13-2009, 12:47 PM
i am a member of the biggest loser online club,it is a great online community and weight loss and fitness program,i am down 23 pounds to date. i am in a challenge with a great bunch of ladies who are really motivating,and keep me moving,ALOT,lol!

garymacd
01-13-2009, 01:27 PM
I got P90X for Christmas. I have always been in fairly good shape (job requirement), but the realisation that I am now one of the "old guys" at work has made me realise I can't quite keep up with the "kids" at work. I intend to change that back and let them keep up with me!

I started about a week and a half ago. So far, so good. The best thing about the system is I don't need much in the way of special equipment. I can use either weights or resistance bands or both. A chin-up bar is invaluable. I don't have one yet, but the resistance bands have taken their place until I get one. My beloved wife hates it when I do chin-ups on the door frames. Too afraid I will rip them down. My mother used to hate that, too, when my brothers and I did it at home. Hmm. Must be a woman thing.

Maybe someday, in, say, March, I will once again look good in my Speedo!

:rotfl:

Beast_fanatic
01-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Well, I finally went back to working out tonight. We had a two week (almost) break while we were at Disney in December, and then we both got sick and didn't feel like working out (plus I hate it when sick people are working out next to me, so I didn't want to be a hypocrite). I only did an hour of cardio, but that's one more hour than I've done so far this year.

And surprisingly, I actually lost a couple of pounds while we were at WDW. :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
01-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Well, I finally went back to working out tonight. We had a two week (almost) break while we were at Disney in December, and then we both got sick and didn't feel like working out (plus I hate it when sick people are working out next to me, so I didn't want to be a hypocrite). I only did an hour of cardio, but that's one more hour than I've done so far this year.

And surprisingly, I actually lost a couple of pounds while we were at WDW. :thumbsup:

wow you did good to lose a couple lbs while at disney.

stitchaholic
01-22-2009, 05:43 AM
i hope i continue to lose at disney,i tried to calculate the hours of walking againts DDP consumption???????
oh well,it's 1 week of enjoyment,i hardly think that our plan of going to cooks of dublin will help much either,lol! but i have been working my butt off,and will continue when i get back.

Mr. Brass Bonanza
01-29-2009, 08:48 PM
My question is about the 35 extra points you have each week. I'm absolutely dying to have a Dominos pizza tomorrow. I've stuck to my points each day, and was a couple under once or twice. A medium Dominos cheese pizza is 40 points, which by itself would be 7 points over for me. But I can use some of those 35 points and still be OK for the week?

crazypoohbear
01-29-2009, 08:52 PM
I haven't done WW in years ( I REALLY need to get back on track though)
But, the WW leader comes into my credit union almost daily and she has told me in the past that if you go over your points especially at the end of the week that you can adjust and as long as you get right back on track you will be fine.
I think that if you deny yourself you will end up falling off the wagon.
(could you skip one slice and still be satisfied?
Drink a couple glasses of water first and you might not miss that slice.
Good Luck on WW and congrats for starting!

NotaGeek
01-29-2009, 09:52 PM
My question is about the 35 extra points you have each week. I'm absolutely dying to have a Dominos pizza tomorrow. I've stuck to my points each day, and was a couple under once or twice. A medium Dominos cheese pizza is 40 points, which by itself would be 7 points over for me. But I can use some of those 35 points and still be OK for the week?
I have been doing well with WW, however, my problem with your thinking is that eating a whole pizza is not healthy, period. What is the point of exercising and changing the way you eat to treat yourself to a whole pizza? I am just being the voice of reason...

Don't do it! Being overweight is horrible and every week I weigh myself and if I don't lose anything it's such a let down ... it's not worth the pizza.

jeromyanddana
01-29-2009, 10:08 PM
It will take from your daily allowance. If you go over it takes from your weekly allowance. Again, if you use your weekly-it will take from any activity points you have earned.

Strmchsr
01-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Since we're sharing here, thought I'd celebrate with my Intercot family...as of this morning I'm down 110 lbs since last summer (using Nurtisystem and a whole lot of working out). I actually weigh less now than I did in college!

c&d
01-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Another WW question. I'v gone back on WW's to get in shape for Maui this summer and I don't think I'm getting the new momentum program. Years ago when I did it I had a spread 18-23 points, now I'm 18 points a day, 35 bonus.

Here's my question: under the old system you had to eat a minimum of 18 points, if you exercised during the day it was subtracted from your total and you needed to eat to get to your minimum. On the new system it just throws all my activity points into the bank. So I'm exercising about 5 points a day and eating 18, so really I'm only eating 13 points a day. I've poked around on the website and I can't find anything regarding eating your minimum and exercising. Should I be eating more?

Beast_fanatic
01-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Since we're sharing here, thought I'd celebrate with my Intercot family...as of this morning I'm down 110 lbs since last summer (using Nurtisystem and a whole lot of working out). I actually weigh less now than I did in college!

Wow Chris! That's fantastic! Congratulations!

badkitty
02-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Wow! You all are inspiring. I need to lose some serious weight but I haven't been able to stick to anything. That is until I got WiiFit. I love it (can't wait to "play" the balance games, yoga and the rest) and I am slowly taking the pounds off. (Eight pounds since Christmas.)

I can't wait to hear more of your successes. Great job everybody! :thumbsup:

IloveDisney71
02-01-2009, 05:26 PM
I can't say enough about how much I love WW. I've done Atkins, Slim-fast, etc. but WW just works for me. I lost 28 pounds and had maintained it for 10 months and then the holdiays came. I put on a few pounds but in just 3 weeks I've lost 7 pounds. I'm trying to lose a few more pounds than I did 10 months ago and I think I'll be able to do it. I think the biggest plus for me is that on WW I get to eat real food - I don't have to buy pre-packaged food that generally tastes like cardboard. I know it works for some people but I just can't see myself doing that.
I'd like to wish everyone the best of luck with your weight loss goals and just remember if you fall off the wagon it's NOT the end of the world. Just get back on track a.s.a.p.
Good luck everyone!!!:thumbsup:

IloveDisney71
02-01-2009, 05:30 PM

Here's my question: under the old system you had to eat a minimum of 18 points, if you exercised during the day it was subtracted from your total and you needed to eat to get to your minimum. On the new system it just throws all my activity points into the bank. So I'm exercising about 5 points a day and eating 18, so really I'm only eating 13 points a day. I've poked around on the website and I can't find anything regarding eating your minimum and exercising. Should I be eating more?

My instructor told us that if you exercised you added that amount of points back to that day. So if you are supposed to have 18 points and you exercise 5 points on Tuesday then you need to add those five points back to Tuesday. If you only eat 13 points then your body is going to think you're starving it and you'll start storing fat. I hope this makes sense.

IloveDisney71
02-02-2009, 09:50 AM
My instructor told us that if you exercised you added that amount of points back to that day. So if you are supposed to have 18 points and you exercise 5 points on Tuesday then you need to add those five points back to Tuesday. If you only eat 13 points then your body is going to think you're starving it and you'll start storing fat. I hope this makes sense.

After I typed this I got to thinking that I was wrong. I pulled out my old books and one called Move More said you can add those points back or not. If you don't you'll be burning more calories than you consume and that's how you lose weight but you can opt to eat those extra points you earned by exercising. Sorry about the confusion! :confused:

JanetMegan
02-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Chris that is amazing about your weight loss!!

I'm doing ok, not as well as I would like, but not discouraged at all. I'm doing water aroebics 3x a week at my new gym and I LOVE it. I'm not sure if it's the best cardio you can get but it's much better than sitting home watching tv. I might be the only one under 60 there but it's fun and I look forward to going.

c&d
02-02-2009, 10:28 AM
After I typed this I got to thinking that I was wrong. I pulled out my old books and one called Move More said you can add those points back or not. If you don't you'll be burning more calories than you consume and that's how you lose weight but you can opt to eat those extra points you earned by exercising. Sorry about the confusion! :confused:

Thanks for the info. I just remembered on the old plan they were very insistent on eating your minimum points.

yourmagicalguide
02-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm in need of some helpful suggestions...

Besides wanting to get into better shape for the year, I also would like to lose some holiday/winter pounds before my trip to WDW next month :mickey:

I've been watching what I eat since Christmas, but I know I need exercise to see results faster. My problem is that I don't have the extra money to join a gym or buy any exercise equipment (I do have hand weights and a pilates ring, however), and I live in Indiana so it's far too cold and icy to go for a jog outside right now. I do have a few workout DVDs, but I never seem to have the time or the energy to do them...

I'm willing to try about anything to get some cardio right now. Any suggestions?

JanetMegan
02-03-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure how tight you are on your budget but check into gyms, mine is only $24 a month...

Bethis26fan
02-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Punches, Jumping Jacks, Butt Kicks & Mountain Climbers are some good forms of cardio you can do. With the punches make sure you squat as low as you can.

DisneyAggies
02-03-2009, 03:51 PM

Besides wanting to get into better shape for the year, I also would like to lose some holiday/winter pounds before my trip to WDW next month :mickey:

I've been watching what I eat since Christmas, but I know I need exercise to see results faster. My problem is that I don't have the extra money to join a gym or buy any exercise equipment (I do have hand weights and a pilates ring, however), and I live in Indiana so it's far too cold and icy to go for a jog outside right now. I do have a few workout DVDs, but I never seem to have the time or the energy to do them...

I'm willing to try about anything to get some cardio right now. Any suggestions?

Jillian Michael's 30 day shred.

Bethis26fan
02-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Jillian Michael's 30 day shred.

That one is a work out. I have it. The very first time I did it I thought I was going to die.

yourmagicalguide
02-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Thank you, everyone, for all the great suggestions! :D Feel free to suggest more if you think of any. I think these should get me off to a fantastic start!

Just for fun, does anyone have Disney-related suggestions for those of us that like to walk to keep us motivated? Listening to Disney music on my iPod is fun, but has anyone tried setting a goal of walking the miles it would take to get from their home to WDW? Other ideas? Just curious...:mickey:

TinkerbellT421
02-04-2009, 12:24 PM
ok guys, I just spotted this thread and need to vent to someone who might understand. I am in such a rutt. I am completely depressed, I have somehow seemed to gain 26 pounds in two years. I was at the perfect weight two years ago and somehow I gained it all. Well almost all I was really big at one point...I am sooo depressed about it. I had DBF buy me a WiiFit for christmas which has really started getting me into the swing of things. And I went to DBF's apartment building gym on saturday. I just still feel so depressed. I know I wont get gauranteed results over night. I am just in such a rutt. I feel miserable. I feel unattractive. I feel unhealthy and I am just crying thinking about it. I just needed to vent. I know in the long run I will shed it....I am looking to shred it by my bday in April. Definitely by summer. I am just so down on myself right now. :( Thanks for listening to me vent. ;)

yourmagicalguide
02-05-2009, 02:20 PM
[Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred] That one is a work out. I have it. The very first time I did it I thought I was going to die.

After work, I swung by the store and got the DVD to try it out.

Let's just say about half-way through, I thought I was either going to :ack: up internal organs or go into cardiac arrest! I couldn't believe how intense it was! Strangely enough, however, once I had cooled off and had some water, I felt very energized and focused. Jillian apparently knows what she's doing :D

I'm soooooo sore today, but I'm going to keep at it for a week and see if it gets easier. I would really like to make it through the entire level without taking a break!

Thanks again for the recommendation!

JanetMegan
02-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Hang in there Tink, don't get discouraged. I'm right there with you only for me it's more like 50 lbs in four years, which is a LOT. Try walking as much as you can and figuring out what your triggers are. What caused the weight gain? Unhealthy eating? Lack of exercise? Too much fast food? Once you can identify the problem you can start making goals about tackling it. I know for me it was the :marg: and too much rich cooking in my own kitchen! Once I knew that I could start doing something about it. I'm not doing perfect but at least I know what I need to do...hang in there!

TinkerbellT421
02-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks Janet. That helps. I started eating diet foods for lunch at work. Like the microwavable smart ones and healthy choices. I was eating a lot of "fast" foods due to work for a long time, actually almost everyday for a good year. That was most of the weight gain. So MAYBE once a week I will cheat and go have a sandwich on lunch. But lately its been lean cuisines or left overs. And not only the fast foods for lunch it didnt help I wasnt exercising AT ALL. So I have started walking or running on the treadmill at the gym at my DBF's house. And now I have the wiifit. So its just a matter of time now I guess. Waiting to see if it works. Thanks Janet. Thumbs up to both of us trying to loose our weight and hopefully a year from now we will be having a conversation about how we cant believe we did it. :thumbsup: Good luck Janet and thank you again for the words of encouragement.

Bethis26fan
02-07-2009, 08:44 AM
If you liked Jillian's dvd and/or her in general she also has a radio show she does on KFI AM on sundays. They also have months of her podcast you can listen to. It's packed full of advice on healthy living.

garymacd
02-15-2009, 09:42 AM
ok guys, I just spotted this thread and need to vent to someone who might understand. I am in such a rutt. I am completely depressed, I have somehow seemed to gain 26 pounds in two years. I was at the perfect weight two years ago and somehow I gained it all. Well almost all I was really big at one point...I am sooo depressed about it. I had DBF buy me a WiiFit for christmas which has really started getting me into the swing of things. And I went to DBF's apartment building gym on saturday. I just still feel so depressed. I know I wont get gauranteed results over night. I am just in such a rutt. I feel miserable. I feel unattractive. I feel unhealthy and I am just crying thinking about it. I just needed to vent. I know in the long run I will shed it....I am looking to shred it by my bday in April. Definitely by summer. I am just so down on myself right now. :( Thanks for listening to me vent. ;)

Dear Tink
Don't get discouraged! Rome was not built in a day. I didn't get into the (bad) shape I was in overnight (it took 30 years) and I am not going to get back into my Speedo overnight. :rotfl: I was disgusted by the Before pictures I took about five weeks ago. I used to be a lifeguard! What happened to me? Life, that's what.

I have made the commitment. Five weeks into the program, my pants are falling off. I was always active and still ride my bike the 20 km to and from work in the good weather. It just wasn't enough for me. That, plus my diet stunk.

Take small steps. Don't get down on yourself. Stay positive. Remember to change your workout routine regularly so you don't get bored and have your progress plateau.

And don't use fad diets. They don't work for long. Many people who use fad diets end up gaining the weight back when the diet ends. Check the sodium content on those pre-packaged lunches and dinners. Make certain they really are healthy and good for you.

You know what diet means, don't you? It's DIE with Tea.

Eat sensibly. Take small steps. Rejoice in the small victories. Just don't celebrate with Krispy Kremes.

Oh. Don't step on the scales everyday. Your weight fluctuates everyday and even during the day and if you see it go up, that in itself can be depressing. I haven't been on a scale since the day I started my program and won't get back on now for another six or seven weeks. I don't care about the number. I care about how I feel inside my skin. Right now, I feel pretty good!

You will do it. I have faith in you.

tiggers_1
02-15-2009, 09:54 AM

I use the Leslie Sansone in home walking.

irish1967
02-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Can I join in?

I've lurked for quite awhile now.

A little about myself. As of yesterday morning, I am 32.4 pounds above my Weight Watchers Lifetime Weight. The gain was due to a variety of reasons, but let's just leave it (for now) as I have addressed the cause of my unhappiness and am really focused on getting back to a healthy place.

Since January 2008, I have lost 16 lbs and am working my way back to being where I want to be.

Today, I crossed a big line - I bought two pairs of pants in a size smaller than what I have been wearing and didn't even have to "inhale deeply" when I zipped them up. I have plenty of pairs of the next size down in the dark side of my closet so I decided that two pairs (with a couple of my old size) will do me until I am ready to step down again.

I am definitely excited to get to know other WDW fans who are also on a journey to better health.

I will try to post frequently!

I am truly working the WW program (rather than kind of working the program and kind of getting results) and have lost 8 lbs since returning from my third half marathon (second at WDW!) a month ago!

For the person who asked - I often use the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs when our weather (Chicago area) isn't good for outside walking.

Bethis26fan
02-24-2009, 05:44 PM
I am starting over again today. I had done really well before Chrismtas. Then I've kind of just fell off the wagon. So today I'm getting back on that wagon. The past is the past today is a new day and on I go.

I just wanted to kind of post it here as at point to keep myself accountable. I'll post next week to see how things go. :)

stitchaholic
02-24-2009, 07:22 PM
I was doing great following the biggest loser online club until our trip at the end of january where i let go and had all my disney favorites,i am back with the program and have almost lost all my trip weight.
i just have to find the time to fit in my exercise daily,i can get in a good workout only 2-3 times weekly.

badkitty
02-25-2009, 12:33 AM
Congratulations irish1967! What a great accomplishment!

Hang in there TinkerbellT421. The funny games on WiiFit tend to brighten my mood. Have you tried the boxing? The Mii trainer is hysterical! I always laugh too when my Mii gets so depressed when I do badly. Do you have anybody to workout with you? Maybe that will perk you up.

All,
I need advice for exercises that do not involve twisting the knee. I am trying to stay focused on my diet/exercise plan while I am traveling for work and wouldn't you know, I injuried my knee while getting off the plane the first day of a two week trip! So much for the planning. I messed it up pretty good and went to an urgent care facility to make sure that I was okay to stay on my trip. I will need to get an MRI when I get home just to be sure I didn't tear anything. I should have asked the doctor for exercises but didn't think of it. Any ideas?

garymacd
03-01-2009, 10:07 AM

My problem is that I don't have the extra money to join a gym or buy any exercise equipment (I do have hand weights and a pilates ring, however), and I live in Indiana so it's far too cold and icy to go for a jog outside right now. I do have a few workout DVDs, but I never seem to have the time or the energy to do them...
Any suggestions?

Look into "Ten Minute Trainer" by Beach Body Dot Com and Tony Horton. The workouts are only ten minutes long and cover your entire body. It also comes with a nutrition plan that will allow you to burn fat fast when coupled with the workouts. I have been using the P90X workout for two months now and feel so much better, my pants are loose and I have much more muscle definition that I haven't seen for years.

The whole package including resistance bands costs less than $150 - less than a gym membership. At only ten minutes a day, it is easy to make the commitment: Before the kids get up, after they go to bed or off to school, during lunch break at work, before you make dinner, anytime. That was my problem. I couldn't keep up the commitment with no equipment at home and no desire or money to go to a gym. If I can do the one hour a day workouts with my busy life, I am certain that just about anyone can make a 10 minute commitment.

Remember, you are not just doing this for yourself, you are doing it for all those people who depend on you. Your kids, spouse/significant other, etc.

garymacd
04-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Well.

Ninety days have come and gone since I started the P90X routine. I got pretty good results on the first time around. Check for yourself:

Before

Weight: 207
Chest: 43.5"
Waist: 41"
Resting pulse: 80

After

Weight: 195
Chest: 42
Waist: 38
Resting pulse: 60

Those are just the highlights! My arms are bigger, thighs are smaller, but both are stronger and better defined. Stomach has the start of a well-defined six-pack. My stamina is greater.

And I am not done, yet. I intend to do the Doubles routine that is outlined in the manual that came with the package.

I thought I was in pretty good condition to begin with, now I am in better shape and can't wait to get my bike back out.

DizNee143
04-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Well.

Ninety days have come and gone since I started the P90X routine. I got pretty good results on the first time around. Check for yourself:

Before

Weight: 207
Chest: 43.5"
Waist: 41"
Resting pulse: 80

After

Weight: 195
Chest: 42
Waist: 38
Resting pulse: 60

Those are just the highlights! My arms are bigger, thighs are smaller, but both are stronger and better defined. Stomach has the start of a well-defined six-pack. My stamina is greater.

And I am not done, yet. I intend to do the Doubles routine that is outlined in the manual that came with the package.

I thought I was in pretty good condition to begin with, now I am in better shape and can't wait to get my bike back out.

thats awesome! go you! :thumbsup:

garymacd
04-14-2009, 05:41 PM
thats awesome! go you! :thumbsup:

Yup. Only another 30 or 40 years to go, and I will be in great shape!

Beast_fanatic
04-14-2009, 10:33 PM
I've started going back to the gym after at least a 6 week absence after the death of my dad. For now, I'm only going to do cardio, and see how that does before I add weights back in. And, the most positive thing is that hubby is finally going to go back with me tomorrow (his last visit was in early December or late November).

Oh, and even though I haven't lost any weight to speak of in months and months, I was able to buy a smaller size in the pants that bought over the weekend.

JanetMegan
04-20-2009, 01:50 PM
So I joined a gym in January mostly for water aerobics-which I love-3x a week. It really was helping with flexibility and stuff, although not sure I was losing much weight. So guess what-my gym went out of business. It had been open like 20 years too and there isn't another one close enough with a pool. So I guess I am back to walking, which I'm not doing very well at either. Has anyone done weight watchers online??

Beast_fanatic
04-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Janet, I tried Weight Watchers online for awhile, but I found it really difficult to stick to it as you were technically only accountable to yourself. If I was accountable to myself, I never would have gotten this way in the first place. I got really bad about not logging my foods, I was always a bit confused on some of the rules, and after awhile, I just felt like it wasn't working for me. I also tried eDiets, and came to the same conclusion about it.

Scar
04-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Has anyone else here ever tried “The Master Cleanser?” I’m starting today for the 4th time in 3 years. I had pretty good success the first 3 times. Lost some weight, slept great, cleared my mind and was able to concentrate better, just all around felt healthier. Even my eyesight improved.

The cleanse isn’t for everyone, especially diabetics, but I’ve found it works great for me and from what I’ve read, many other people too.

garymacd
04-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Has anyone else here ever tried “The Master Cleanser?” I’m starting today for the 4th time in 3 years. I had pretty good success the first 3 times. Lost some weight, slept great, cleared my mind and was able to concentrate better, just all around felt healthier. Even my eyesight improved.

Before you start I just want to say:

RESEARCH!

There is a lot of information on the web about cleanses, a lot of it is not good.

If you have used a cleanse 4 times in the last 3 years, I think you need to reclarify what your goals are: Are you doing this to lose weight? Are you doing this to clear out undigested food from your colon?

If you are doing this to lose weight, you need to know that there are healthier and more permanent ways of losing weight and feeling better. This is going to sound like a broken record, but:

Exercise.
Everyday.
Change your diet to a lower fat, healthier, well-balanced diet. Not for a few days or weeks. But for life!

Exercise does all the things you are looking for in your post. It helps you lose weight, it clears your mind, it helps you sleep better and makes you feel better. As for eyesight - well, I still wear my glasses for reading, but, hey, I'm over 50.

All it takes from you is commitment and an hour a day.

Don't rely on quick fixes for anything, especially health. Don't rely on fad diets, especially those that advocate no-carb or low-carb diets. Change your diet for life - not a few weeks or days. Change your activity level for life, not just a short time

When the diet is done, most people invariably regain the weight they lost, and more!

If you start an exercise regime, stick with it. There are some programs out there that will get you to lose the weight in a short time, but what do you do after the program is over? If you go back to your old habits, you will lose the gains you made and gain the weight you lost.

If you are doing the cleanse to clear your colon of undigested foods, a couple of things are going to happen. Yes, you will lose the weight, because the diet is restrictive and you are cleaning out your bowel. Unfortunately you are cleaning out your bowel...of everything, and I mean everything, including a lot of bacteria that you need in your colon to help you digest the food you eat. Without the bacteria, you will shoot out all the food you eat (making you lose weight) until the bacteria re-establises itself inside your colon.

Another side effect that can and does happen is some cleanses temporarily stop the peristaltic action of your colon, which is supposed to help push the food through your system. Sometimes the peristalsis doesn't restart...ever. Which means you need cleanses all the time and sooner and sooner, just to clear your colon, which a healthy colon does normally without cleanses.

Please, research and think twice. One of my firends at work used this diet. Let me just say a skeleton has more shape than he does. He regrets it now.

Off my soapbox now. Tell me to go away and mind my own business.

DizNee143
04-24-2009, 07:49 AM

RESEARCH!

There is a lot of information on the web about cleanses, a lot of it is not good.

If you have used a cleanse 4 times in the last 3 years, I think you need to reclarify what your goals are: Are you doing this to lose weight? Are you doing this to clear out undigested food from your colon?

If you are doing this to lose weight, you need to know that there are healthier and more permanent ways of losing weight and feeling better. This is going to sound like a broken record, but:

Exercise.
Everyday.
Change your diet to a lower fat, healthier, well-balanced diet. Not for a few days or weeks. But for life!

Exercise does all the things you are looking for in your post. It helps you lose weight, it clears your mind, it helps you sleep better and makes you feel better. As for eyesight - well, I still wear my glasses for reading, but, hey, I'm over 50.

Don't rely on quick fixes for anything, especially health. Don't rely on fad diets, especially those that advocate no-carb or low-carb diets. Change your diet for life - not a few weeks or days. Change your activity level for life, not just a short time

When the diet is done, most people invariably regain the weight they lost, and more!

If you start an exercise regime, stick with it. There are some programs out there that will get you to lose the weight in a short time, but what do you do after the program is over? If you go back to your old habits, you will lose the gains you made and gain the weight you lost.

If you are doing the cleanse to clear your colon of undigested foods, a couple of things are going to happen. Yes, you will lose the weight, because the diet is restrictive and you are cleaning out your bowel. Unfortunately you are cleaning out your bowel...of everything, and I mean everything, including a lot of bacteria that you need in your colon to help you digest the food you eat. Without the bacteria, you will shoot out all the food you eat (making you lose weight) until the bacteria re-establises itself inside your colon.

Another side effect that can and does happen is some cleanses temporarily stop the peristaltic action of your colon, which is supposed to help push the food through your system. Sometimes the peristalsis doesn't restart...ever. Which means you need cleanses all the time and sooner and sooner, just to clear your colon, which a healthy colon does normally without cleanses.

Please, research and think twice. One of my firends at work used this diet. Let me just say a skeleton has more shape than he does. He regrets it now.

Off my soapbox now. Tell me to go away and mind my own business.

you made some very good points...hope Scar reconsiders..
i had thought about doing something like that once or twice..but i wouldnt want to go through all that..and especially after some of the stuff i didnt know that you just wrote about..ewww no thank you! people just love these quick fixes!!
and if it has worked so well for you Scar..why are you on your 4th try???
in my eyes this is a stupid idea...but to each his own...i guess......

Scar
04-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Tell me to go away and mind my own business. Nope, I welcome and appreciate all comments.

My apologies, I should have given more info in my first post.

First let me repeat loud and clear...
The cleanse isn’t for everyone, ...Next let me say with equal clarity... This is not a weight loss diet.

RESEARCH!

There is a lot of information on the web about cleanses, a lot of it is not good.Yes, I have done lots of research. In fact it was at least 3 years from the first time I heard about this before I did it. There are also many poeple on the web who have posted thier first person accounts of the success they have had.

If you are doing this to lose weight, you need to know that there are healthier and more permanent ways of losing weight and feeling better. My goal is to eliminate toxins from my body, and allow my body to heal in a natural way. I won't go into all the benefits here, there is lots of info on the web for anyone interested. I am not doing this to lose weight, you are correct that some of the weight comes back. That is only natural when you empty out your colon, then begin to eat again.

This is going to sound like a broken record, but:

Exercise.
Everyday.

If you start an exercise regime, stick with it. There are some programs out there that will get you to lose the weight in a short time, but what do you do after the program is over? If you go back to your old habits, you will lose the gains you made and gain the weight you lost.Absolutely, couldn't agree with you more. I try to exercise and eat healthy everyday. I don't, but I try. ;) The only thing is, I don't consider this a quick fix, I consider it an important (for me) part of staying healthy.

If you are doing the cleanse to clear your colon of undigested foods, a couple of things are going to happen. Yes, you will lose the weight, because the diet is restrictive and you are cleaning out your bowel. Unfortunately you are cleaning out your bowel...of everything, and I mean everything, including a lot of bacteria that you need in your colon to help you digest the food you eat. Without the bacteria, you will shoot out all the food you eat (making you lose weight) until the bacteria re-establises itself inside your colon.I take a supplement called "Probiotics" when I'm finished. It's supposed to introduce "good bacteria" into your system. No problems yet.

Please, research and think twice. One of my firends at work used this diet. Let me just say a skeleton has more shape than he does. He regrets it now.I have to admit I've never heard this one, the not restarting part. I will do some research. Again, no problems yet.

and if it has worked so well for you Scar..why are you on your 4th try??? Who said anything about trying? Trying implies failure. I said I've done it 3 times. I've had success all 3. Until I feel like it is hurting me, or if peristalisis turns out to be a real threat. I will contiune to do it, maybe once a year.

In all honesty, it's not that bad. It's only 10 days, and my body is still getting all the nutrients it needs during that time.

DizNee143
04-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Who said anything about trying? Trying implies failure. I said I've done it 3 times. I've had success all 3. Until I feel like it is hurting me, or if peristalisis turns out to be a real threat. I will contiune to do it, maybe once a year.

In all honesty, it's not that bad. It's only 10 days, and my body is still getting all the nutrients it needs during that time.

and if you had "success" why must you keep putting your body through this heck! (i would so be using the other word if i could!)

and ifs its not "that bad" why is it so bad? lol..
with all the health risks and what not..

i just dont get why anyone would want to go through all this.. just to feel "clean"

its bizzare to me..

Scar
04-24-2009, 01:09 PM
and if you had "success" why must you keep putting your body through this heck! (i would so be using the other word if i could!)

and ifs its not "that bad" why is it so bad? lol..
with all the health risks and what not..

i just dont get why anyone would want to go through all this.. just to feel "clean"

its bizzare to me..
What do you mean by "putting your body though this heck?" And, (besides that peristalisis thing that I still need to research) what health risks?

The only side effects I've ever had are being a little tired the last few days (physically tired, not mentaly), and having some pretty severe cravings, especially in the first 3 days. Cravings, not hunger. Other than that I feel fine.

BTW, hey neighbor, I'm from Princeton.

Pastcastmemberdaughter
05-09-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm very excited, I've officially lost 19 pounds since November '08. :party:

I know that's not a lot for that time period, I'm taking it slow because an all out diet never worked for me. If I go into it to fast I always give up about 3 months in and gain everything back. Each month I've been added another couple of goals to achieve while keeping the ones I've done in the past. This month my goals are to get to the gym 3 times a week, only have one can of soda a day, and only have an unhealthy dessert once a week.

I wanted to put the dessert thing in this month because of summer coming, and ice cream is wonderful, lol. I have found those skinny cow ice creams. Anyone else try them? THEY'RE AWESOME and only 150 calories and usually about 2 grams of fiber per sandwich.

Anyway, I hope everyone is having success with their diet goals this year so far. Keep it up everyone! :mickey:

citizensnoopy
05-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Well, I started to do Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. I'm on day 7 and can already notice results! My arms are beginning to look toned and my clothes are feeling looser. The first few days were almost unbearable, but I've noticed that my endurance is improving and the workout is getting easier. I'm also doing 30 minutes on the elliptical machine each day. My goal is to look good for graduation in a month! :)

sgdisney
05-28-2009, 06:15 PM
I just found this post and have gone through and read of your trials and tribulations and successes! It is always good to have a support system in place when trying to attain a healthier lifestyle and lose weight. As for me I jointed Weight Watchers 11 weeks ago and have lost 22.5 lbs and am thrilled with that. For some reason, I feel determined to do this THIS time. But I've got a lot to go, at least 90 more so I try not to think of the total but to work towards 10 lb goals. But my ultimate goal is to go to WDW 100 lbs lighter! Good luck to everyone!

garymacd
05-28-2009, 07:40 PM
I just found this post and have gone through and read of your trials and tribulations and successes! It is always good to have a support system in place when trying to attain a healthier lifestyle and lose weight. As for me I jointed Weight Watchers 11 weeks ago and have lost 22.5 lbs and am thrilled with that. For some reason, I feel determined to do this THIS time. But I've got a lot to go, at least 90 more so I try not to think of the total but to work towards 10 lb goals. But my ultimate goal is to go to WDW 100 lbs lighter! Good luck to everyone!

Great success so far! Keep going and you will make your goal. Remember that diet works really well with an exercise program that can be designed specifically for you. Don't let anyone or anything or yourself get in your way. See your goal, reach your goal!

tinktude
06-09-2009, 10:20 PM
I just started a diet and excersise plan at the end of April. I go to the gym 5 days a week, 2 days of weight training and 3 days of cardio. I cut my calories back to between 1300-1500 a day, and cut out all soda, limit my "white" bread intake, and up the amount of water I drink.

To date I have lost 25lbs.:D I have a long way to go, and will not reach my ultimate goal of 140lbs until next year. I am hoping to be down 70lbs by the time we go to Disney at the end of October.

Honestly this has been the hardest thing I have ever done:thumbsup:, but I am determined this time to get to my goal. My DH and I have vowed to excersise (in addition to walking) every other day while we are on vacation. Not sure my kids will like it, but it is a promise we have made to each other. We both want to "eat":eat: while we are in the world, and feel like the extra workouts will allow us to do that and not get into too much trouble :)

garymacd
06-25-2009, 02:17 PM
I just started a diet and excersise plan at the end of April. I go to the gym 5 days a week, 2 days of weight training and 3 days of cardio. I cut my calories back to between 1300-1500 a day, and cut out all soda, limit my "white" bread intake, and up the amount of water I drink.

To date I have lost 25lbs.:D I have a long way to go, and will not reach my ultimate goal of 140lbs until next year. I am hoping to be down 70lbs by the time we go to Disney at the end of October.

Honestly this has been the hardest thing I have ever done:thumbsup:, but I am determined this time to get to my goal. My DH and I have vowed to excersise (in addition to walking) every other day while we are on vacation. Not sure my kids will like it, but it is a promise we have made to each other. We both want to "eat":eat: while we are in the world, and feel like the extra workouts will allow us to do that and not get into too much trouble :)

Sounds like you have a great plan. Keep at it. You will make it. Just keep pushing. Think how much better your knees and other joints will feel when you lose all that weight. Not only will your muscles and joints not have to support all that weight, they will be stronger and more flexible and could support even more weight. Don't neglect stretching and flexibility in your program.

Tinkerbella
06-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Hello All!

I wanted to share a real exciting bit of info with you guys! As I said in an earlier post I joined an exercise program called "Fit Chix Bootcamp". It's five days a week for six weeks and has a 1,600 calorie diet to accompany it.

Today was our last day of the session and measurement day too. I'm so happy to say that I lost 9 inches total!!! :clappy:

Half an inch from the waist, 3/4" from the neck, 1" chest, 1 inch bicep, 1 1/4" hips, 3 1/2 from things and 1/2 from calves!

I was named the "Biggest Loser in Inches"! I was so discourged when I got on the scale an saw that I'd only lost half a pound :( but the results are clearly seen in the inches!

WAHOO!

Monday I start another six week session!!!:D:D:D

badkitty
06-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Congratulations! :congrats: What a great accomplishment. Keep up the good work!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Congrats! Keep up the good work. I'm jealous.

TennesseeTink
06-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Wow! That's fantastic! I know that was alot of hard work and determination. :thumbsup:

Tinkerbella
06-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks you all! You guys are too awesome :number1: I love sharing exciting things with such a group of great, supportive people!

I'm getting all geared up for Monday, when I start another 6 weeks! :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
07-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Felt I needed to post in here:

In May, I had severe foot pain, to the point I couldn't walk... Went to my doctor... Told I have gout... he took my blood pressure and it was eye popping high... He told me he wasn't concerned yet, and to come back in a month for a follow up... So, I decided to start eating different.. I cut down on my portions of food, stopped drinking soda completely, cut down the carb intake big time, and started drinking more and more water... Went to the doctor for my follow up on Thursday and my pressure came down tremendously... It was around perfect, a little higher.. My doctor and I were very satisfied... Especially my doctor... He was very satisfied with my pressure was... He also weighed me and I lost 16 pounds in a month...

I am now starting a more hard core diet that I asked him to give me... Also, I started walking on my treadmill... 30 minutes a night or 1 mile in distance, as a power walk pace... I work up a nice sweat!!!!

Now, my pants have gotten bigger on me.. To the point I feel like they are going to fall off one day LOL....

Tell ya what: it is a very good feeling!!!

BelleKP
08-02-2009, 10:48 AM
... Went to the doctor for my follow up on Thursday and my pressure came down tremendously... It was around perfect, a little higher.. My doctor and I were very satisfied... Especially my doctor... He was very satisfied with my pressure was... He also weighed me and I lost 16 pounds in a month...
Congrats on the changes you made!! :thumbsup: It's obviously paying off!

... Now, my pants have gotten bigger on me.. To the point I feel like they are going to fall off one day LOL....
That would be a great feeling!! All the best!

I too have just started to make some changes in my diet and exercise life. I've been overweight most of my adult life . . . and although have had success loosing some of it in the past, giving birth to two kids put permanent weight loss on hold.
I'm now done having kids, and done with the excuses!! We're heading to WDW in December, and I'd really like to be comfortable in my own skin when we go. We take lots of pictures and I don't want to look back at myself with regret.
I don't have a particular goal in mind, I just want to feel better, have more energy, and maybe drop a dress size or two ;) I've joined a weight counselling program (similar to weight watchers/different company) to help keep myself motivated and help hold me accountable.
Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted about my successes! :thumbsup:

garymacd
08-02-2009, 08:08 PM

Way to go! It is a great feeling when you feel better and feel better about yourself.

Keep going! We'll see you on a P90X infomercial yet!

Sarah, don't forget to add exercise to your diet plan. The weight and inches will come off really fast.

Tinkerbella
08-11-2009, 04:23 AM
I just finished another 6 week session of my 'Fitchix Bootcamp' last week and lost another 2 inches! That's 11 inches in 12 weeks! I'm super excited to be down 3 pants sizes and feeling so healthy and strong:number1:

Dsnygirl
08-12-2009, 08:32 AM
So, in general, I already know the answer to this question... but I'd still like to hear from some "real people" who have done some significant weight loss and kept it off. (I'm talking 20lbs or more)

What worked better for you, lo-carb or lo-cal??

I've never been really overweight, but was carrying an extra 25 lbs for awhile. I lost it 2 years ago, but 10 lbs crept back on, and although I lost it before our Disney trip last December, I gained it back b/w the trip and the holidays, and have been struggling ever since to take it back off.

Besides that, it's more than just the 10lbs... I'd really like to lose the 10 and then about 10 or 15 more, just to get back to my "marriage" weight. ;)

I used to be a "lo-carb" girl... I could drop 5-10 lbs in 2 or 3 weeks, and then I'd add carbs slowly back in, increase my excercise, and continue to lose little by little.

But, somewhere in the "hitting 40" process, the whole lo-carb thing just doesn't seem to work for me... the instant I add the carbs back in, I gain weight. I also know, as an RN, that sticking with a lo-carb diet forever isn't healthy, so I've gone the lo-cal/increase the excercise route this time.

But it is driving me crazy!! I'm keeping my calories b/w 1000 and 1200, excercising 4-5x's/week, and nothing! (Well, that's not true, I've lost a bit on my measurments, which is definitely good, but the scale won't budge)

I know I need to ignore the scale and listen to my body as far as how my clothes feel, what my measurements are... I realize I'm probably gaining muscle, as I'm doing Jillian' Shred DVD and she works your muscles pretty well.

But -- I could really use some positive feedback from people who have been there before I throw my scale out the window and head back into the world of scrambled eggs and tunafish. :ack:

I want to stick with my lo-cal diet, b/c it doesn't feel like a diet and I know it's healthier and easier to maintain long-term. But I need to do something to get myself going on the weight loss factor, too.

Any advice or positive input would be GREATLY appreciated!!

:thanks: :thanks:

Bethis26fan
08-12-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm working on losing a lot of weight. I do know unless you are very very over weight 1000 calories is too low and you are exercising on top of that with only 1000 calories your body thinks it's starving and it's trying to hold on to the weight. I get a lot of my info from jillian michaels she has some really good books & she also has a pod cast if you go to the KFI am 640 web site or Google jillian michaels podcast you can get them for free and get some really good tips.

I do want to wish you good luck like I said I'm in that same boat.

bcornette
08-12-2009, 09:43 AM
I am currently in the process of dropping 70 pounds before our vacation, as of this morning I am down 41 lbs fairly easily, it did take time though and fat burning cardio is boring because it is a slow pace.

I did it by watching my calories and actually understanding what is in what I eat and making minor changes to my diet; like no or not much fried food. It's just an awareness thing, like knowing my chipotle bowl has 580 calories in it, or that Outback cheese fries are a killer 2900 calories.

There is a calories calculator that tells you how many calories you should eat to maintain your weight, fat loss, and drastic fat loss (over 2lbs a week). This is the safest and healthiest way to do it, if you are actually trying to change your lifestyle and weight for a long period of time.

Hopefully I am allowed to put links in without getting in trouble. Here is the site I use for my calorie count - http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
It was the most well rounded one I could find and it is working for me, I do the numbers different ways - 1 with the deskjob setting for days when I don't want to exercise and one with the 5 days a week exercise. I do typically go to the gym for about 1 hr a day, but my workout could be done at home with very little equipment also.

betteratmk
08-12-2009, 09:44 AM
I agree with the above poster, that is too low, your best bet is to follow a diabetic diet for at least 1500- 1600 cal. Use whole grains, fresh fruit and veggies and high quality protein. Your body is in defense mode right now. (BTY , I'm a diabetic and a RN!)

Strmchsr
08-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Yesterday was the one year anniversary of my current weight loss journey. I've lost 120 lbs and gone from a 54 to a 38 waist, so I've definitely "been there done that." This is after failing with a ton of other diets, including low-carb. This time I've done it just by cutting calories, eating healthy, and exercising.

You do have to be careful with the weight loss. The "low-carb" style produces results, but it is not sustainable. Your body needs carbs for sustaining almost all systems. Often "low-carb" ends up doing more damage than good in the long run. Thus, reducing calories (or increasing exercise) is the way to go for weight loss. It takes a deficit of 3500 calories to lose 1 lb of fat. For women that takes longer to achieve. My resting metabolism (meaning what my body would burn if I just sat around doing nothing) is around 2500 calories per day. So even if I did nothing all day but lie in bed, if I just reduced my caloric intake to 1800 calories per day I would still lose 1 lb every 5 days, which is a healthy rate. Now, when I add activity on to that my rate goes up. For a woman 40+ average resting metabolisms are around 1600-1800 calories per day. Below 1200 calories per day your body goes into starvation mode and, as Beth noted, once your body goes into starvation mode you stop losing because it hangs on to everything. So, it's more difficult for a woman to lose.

The answer is to be patient and, as you noted, ignore the scale. Weight is irrelevant for the most part. It's how you look and feel. If you're losing inches that's a much better sign of health and effectiveness than the scale. Google "resting metabolism" and you'll see some sights that will give you a general idea so you know what you're up against. Eat healthy and don't cut too many calories or you'll be defeating what you're trying to accomplish.

As an RN I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know. Just trying to encourage you to hang in there and don't do anything destructive. Let your body and your dress sizes tell you whether you need to lose any more weight. Your body will take it off as it needs it. As long as you're healthy, it doesn't matter what the scale says.

DizneyRox
08-12-2009, 10:52 AM
I've never seen anything better at shedding pounds quickly than a lo-carb diet.

Once expected results are met though, you need to perform a lifestyle change in order to keep the "weight" off. Reintroducing carbs is expected, but finding the right balance is the key.

I don't really think that cardio is a very good way of burning off carbs. What you really want to do is change your metabolism, and a great way of doing that is weight training. Muscle burns calories all day, cardio does it only while exercising. The idea is to build muscle mass which DOES weigh more than fat, so using a scale isn't really a great idea.

You don't need to become a body builder, I'm not talking that type of muscle mass, but being tone will go a lot further towards helping maintain an acceptable weight AND still allow you to eat more of what you want/need.

Lisa417
08-12-2009, 11:14 AM
I have lost a total of 157 pounds!! and kept it off for the last. 7 years!!! :party:

The key for me is to eat what I want when I want to, but control what the amount. I write down what I eat everyday and kinda plan out in my head the week.. If I know i'm going out to dinner to an Italian place ( my favorite) I kinda watch what how many carbs I'm eating a couple of days and then have at it at dinner.

FOr me when I was losing the weight it was about carb and sugar control. Water Water water and walking. Another thing people don't think about Sodium and Fiber.. Keep sodium low and fiber high!!

You can do it! Nothing taste as good as being healthy feels!!

SBETigg
08-12-2009, 11:23 AM
I lose weight fast initially with low carb, but I put it back on more easily too. A sensible diet of whole grains, fruits, veggies, lean proteins works best for me, plus regular exercise. I don't really have to count calories when I'm eating right and working out.

Princess'Mom
08-12-2009, 11:27 AM
I lose weight fast initially with low carb, but I put it back on more easily too. A sensible diet of whole grains, fruits, veggies, lean proteins works best for me, plus regular exercise. I don't really have to count calories when I'm eating right and working out.

Ditto! It is all about the sensible diet and regular exercise!

Disneymom4ever
08-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Blythe,
I think what everyone has said is some really good advice. I just wanted to say I completely understand where you're coming from! (And yes, I'm 43). I lost 51 pounds last year by doing low carb (and hardly any excercise). I have never lost that amount of weight, ever. It was amazing how fast it came off! But now, 7 months later, it's all creeping back on. I think finding a balance after the weight is off is key. It's nice to hear these stories, I really need motivation right now. I swore I wouldn't go back to the way I was! Anyway, good luck to us all, this is not a fun fight!

Dsnygirl
08-12-2009, 12:54 PM
:mickey: Thank you all for your comments.... they really helped!!

As far as the calorie thing, that makes sense... I was trying to stay at around 1200 calories, because my BMR (base metabolic rate) is 1485, and I excercise for 30 minutes each day, and I walk all night (3 nights/week) for 12hrs as a nurse. (well, almost all night... ;)) I figured that that gave me a decent enough deficit to lose weight, but not go into starvation mode, but maybe not... as well as the fact that there were some days I was more like 900 calories. (And that was with eating 6 small meals!! Lots of fruit, veggies, whole grain bread, tunafish, yogurt... I felt like I was eating constantly!!)

So, that's where the confusion for me lies... how to find the right mix of calories and excercise that will still allow me to not only build muscle and tone, but also shed some weight.

I have 10 weeks until our trip, and ideally, I'd like to be 15 lbs lighter than I currently am.

At this point, I'm thinking I need to step up the excercise and build in a little more calories... which just sounds odd, but I'll try it!

:thanks: again... let's keep this thread going for whoever out there needs help and/or advice & encouragement!! :)

dnickels
08-12-2009, 01:14 PM
You might try upping the exercise times by a little bit. I had a biochemistry exam years ago in college and if I remember correctly the example was for what happens as a person would run a marathon.

The body's first sources of energy are glycogen and glucose. As those are used up the body begins to break down stored fat and metabolize that into sugars for energy (on average this takes about 30 minutes to get to the fat burning stage - again if I remember the example correctly).

So if you fall into that average category and are exercising about 30 minutes a day you'd be getting to the point of burning off some of the fat but if you add another 10 or 15 minutes you might start seeing some steady results because you'd be in that fat burning window for a longer period of time. :twocents:

It sounds like you're doing great though! :thumbsup: Weight loss/management is all about calories consumed vs. calories burned.

garymacd
08-12-2009, 01:24 PM
I exercise and lose weight through at program called P90X. There is a thread about it in the Water Cooler. The exercise regime is very tough. So tough, in fact, that in order to lose weight and see gains in strength, I started the nutrition plan eating 2500 calories a day and actually had to increase it to continue to lose weight. Keep in mind that I weigh under 200 pounds and was heavier when I started the program. This daily intake is based on a number of factors, the main one being your weight at the start of the program. If I decreased my food intake, I would have gone into Starvation Mode, which a lot of diets do to people. That would have allowed me to lose more weight in the short term, but would have affected my strength and in the long term may have made me gain weight. Regular exercise can actually force your body out of starvation mode.

One thing I learned about exercise. I don't know if this will help anyone or not, but here goes: If you are exercising 4 days a week, you are not exercising 3 days a week. Regular exercise and proper nutrition (not diet - diet means DIE with Tea) are the keys to long-term health, losses of fat (not weight) and gains in muscle, strength, co-ordination and balance. it isn't going to happen over night. Please consider an exercise and nutrition plan as part of your daily regime for the rest of your life, just like shaving, bathing, putting on make-up and brushing your teeth.

bcornette
08-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Good luck and remember to spread your calories out over multiple smaller meals.

Also while exercising your body does not burn fat running fast. You burn fat directly when your heart rate is around 65% max heart rate for your age and build leaner muscle and stamina at 80%. I am 32 and my target heart range is between 118 and 126.

Dsnygirl
08-12-2009, 02:03 PM
One thing I learned about exercise. I don't know if this will help anyone or not, but here goes: If you are exercising 4 days a week, you are not exercising 3 days a week.

Gary, I agree w/ everything you said -- just a question re: excercising 7 days/week. (Heavy, strenuous excercise, not just walking, etc.) What I thought I'd learned may be out-dated, which is why I'm asking -- but I always thought I'd learned that in terms of really strenuous (i.e. weight loss variety) excercise, you should limit it to 3 or 4 days/week and on the other 3/4 days, do lighter things like walking, light weights or situps, etc., to give your muscles a chance to heal and strengthen, and your body a chance to re-group.

Is this no longer advised?? I can't imagine finding an hour 7 days/week (sounds crazy, I know, but with my work schedule, my girls' schedule and just our family "stuff", finding an hour 3 or 4x's a week is tough! :blush:)

And is your P90X program the old "BeachBody" program? I think I remember a 90-day program associated with that, and it was great!

Thanks for the continued thougths/advice... I hope this thread is helping others besides me! :thumbsup:

bcornette
08-12-2009, 03:09 PM
from a weight training perspective you shouldn't work out the same muscle group(chest, biceps, triceps, etc) more than twice a week. You could do one muscle group a day and then finish with 30 - 60 minutes of fat burn cardio. Throw in abs a few times a week, it is the one muscle group you can not really overwork.

As for how heavy/ how many reps the equations are easy.
1. If you want to build strength, you should use a weight that you can only do 3-5 times.
2. If you want more muscle mass you should use a weight that you can do 7-10 times
3. If you want to build lean defined muscles you need a weight that you can do 10 to 15 times.

Each of these assumes the bottom number of reps is hard and the top is practically impossible. 3 sets of whatever it is you are trying to accomplish.

The most important thing is what and when you eat though, watch the calories but also be aware of it's basic breakdown (carbs, fat, protien).

If you are real nuts you can do some of the gym jones circuits, my workout partner gets our workouts from him. He trains people to climb Everest (The real one) www.gymjones.com

magicofdisney
08-12-2009, 03:37 PM
From everything I've read, and am practicing, you should not work your muscles (i.e. weight training) every day. You muscle builds on your rest days.

I found that if I do cardio everyday, I burn out real quick. I choose to do cardio 3 days a week and weight training (circuit training) on machines, 2 days a week. I'm seeing and feeling the results so I know it's working.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing by eating properly and exercising and this has to be a lifetime commitment. And if you're watching your calories and eating balanced meals, you'll automatically cut down the carbs.

I have an App on my iPod Touch called Tap & Track. It helps me keep track of my calories and exercise. And it adds calories back into my daily allowance when I work out.

I agree that anything below 1200 is counterproductive. I think you should realistically look at 1200-1300 calories per day, minimum.

GL with your lifestyle change. It appears there are many of us here joining this club. :)

Rekenna
08-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi All!

As usual I am on a quest to be in the best physcial condition I can for our upcoming trip.

I have read threads about people getting ready by walking alot, which I do, and it really does help. While I may not be in the physical shape I want to be I can walk circles around many of the guests there and my own family!

But, I was wondering if any of you would be intrested to form a kind of Intercot group for weight loss and fitness with our goal of course being to look and feel awesome when we are in the most awesome place!

Didn't know if this thread would suffice? Or if we should start a Healthly Living thread? We could put some tips on that work for others in meeting weight and fitness goals. How many pounds we have lost (but, never our weights-we don't need to go there :blush:!).

For instance, when I have been walking on my treadmill and I am really not in the mood I envision walking into MK and how my steps on the treadmill are taking me to Adventureland, Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, etc. It really helps! And then I always feel better after walking and it helps me to get even more psyched for our upcoming trip.

What do you guys think? :mickey:

Rekenna
08-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Also, things like if I eat well now-like fruits and veggies instead of junk than I can really indulge (without feeling guilty) in DoleWhips, Mickey Treats and all the other great goodies.

Rekenna
08-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Like, right now-I have been sitting in a 3 day training session and I packed my lunch b/c all they serve for lunch is potato chips and pizza (which the pizza smell almost make it hard to pass on-but I persevered!).

Oh, and no soft drinks or at least limiting my intake of soft drinks.

sgdisney
08-13-2009, 09:56 AM
There is a healthy living thread that was started on 1-1-09 in the Water Cooler. Here's the link:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=147723

Dsnygirl
08-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Also, things like if I eat well now-like fruits and veggies instead of junk than I can really indulge (without feeling guilty) in DoleWhips, Mickey Treats and all the other great goodies.
One thing I wanted to throw in here is that before our trip 2 years ago, I did exactly that... I ate really healthy, right up to before we left. I felt great... until we got to Disney, and started "really" eating. YIPES!! Because I'd been having mostly salads and lean meats and fruits, and healthy carbs, my system went haywire when I started adding in the not-so-healthy snacks and heavier meals that are so prevalent at Disney. (Not that the meals there are unhealthy, but they're certainly cooked differently than how I cook at home!!)

So -- before our trip this past year, I was of course on a mission to lose a little and up my stamina -- but about two weeks before our trip, I started adding in some "less healthy" carbs and sugars and pastas/sauces, etc., and just uppedmy excercise, as well, so I didn't gain... and I felt WAY better when we got there!

So, consider this to be a "word to the wise" comment... if you are seriously limiting your intake of junk and carbs and fats before you go, be sure to add a little of it in beforehand -- your tummy will thank you!! ;)

garymacd
08-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Gary, I agree w/ everything you said -- just a question re: excercising 7 days/week. (Heavy, strenuous excercise, not just walking, etc.) And is your P90X program the old "BeachBody" program? I think I remember a 90-day program associated with that, and it was great!

Thanks for the continued thougths/advice... I hope this thread is helping others besides me! :thumbsup:

Sorry if I confused you. I do work out six or seven days a week; but I don't do strength training every day. Here is the Classic program I follow. (Beach Body, some years ago had a program called Power 90, and another one called Power Half Hour) These are good lead ups to P90X. My daughter's boyfriend is using Power 90 - great results.)

The first three weeks are a wake-up call for your body.
Day 1: Chest and Back plus Ab Ripper X (a 16 minute intense ab workout)
Day 2: Plyometrics (Extreme Cardio workout)
Day 3: Shoulders and Arms plus Ab Ripper
Day 4: Yoga X (One of the toughest workouts I have ever done!)
Day 5: Legs and Back plus Ab Ripper
Day 6: Kenpo X (The most fun workout I have ever had)
Day 7: Rest or X Stretch

Do this for three weeks, then do the recovery week. No strength training, just conditioning and flexibility.
Day 1: Yoga X
Day 2: Core Synergistics (pilates got nothing on this one)
Day 3: Kenpo X
Day 4: X Stretch
Day 5: Core Synergistics
Day 6: Yoga X
Day 7: Rest or X Stretch

Now comes the real work:
Day 1: Chest Shoulders and Back plus Ab Ripper
Day 2: Plyometrics
Day 3: Back and Biceps plus Ab Ripper
Day 4: Yoga X
Day 5: Legs and Back plus Ab Ripper
Day 6: Kenpo X
Day 7: Rest or Stretch
After three weeks of this you will be begging for a rest, so repeat the rest week above

Now, alternate the two different training weeks for one month and finish up with a rest week.

I am just finishing up my second round of this with the addition of an extra 4 cardio workouts a week - actually more since I am now riding my bike back and forth to work 20 km in each direction - and am seriously looking forward to the rest week. My back doesn't hurt as much and I can keep up with the kids at work now for the most part. Not bad for a guy about 5 years away from retirement in a high-stress, physically demanding job.

As you can see, I don't do strength every day, and I don't focus on the same muscle groups every time. Strength is alternated with conditioning and flexibility. This was my mistake when I tried to do my own exercise regime - that plus I never pushed myself as hard as Tony Horton ever does.

There is also a Lean routine using the same workouts, but the focus is more on cardio and less on strength. My daughter does this routine.

It is a tough routine and you really need to be committed to the process to get the most out of it. I sometimes find myself working out at 8, 9 or ten o'clock at night. The beauty of Beach Body Programs is that you can try it for 30 days and if it's not for you, return it and get your money back.

They also have other programs that are not as intense, like Ten Minute Trainer (my wife does this routine with some difficulty due to her health issues). This routine starts at a mere ten minutes a day and can be done in a very small area with nothing more than a door, door strap and resistance band that comes with the program. You can build yourself up to a maximum of one-half hour a day. This may be more up your alley, especially if your fitness level isn't that great to begin with (assumption on my part) and especially if time is a real constraint. It also comes with a nutrition plan that will give you sufficient calories to maintain strength and lose weight. Again if it isn't for you, return it and get your money back.

Best of luck and PM me if you want more info.

Dsnygirl
08-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Gary, thanks so much for the info!! :thanks:

I am going to look into this, but on the "lean" side like your daughter does... it sounds great, albeit hard, but great!

Right now, I am doing Jillian Michael's DVD's.... one is a 25 minute circuit workout, the other a 45 minute circuit workout, both combining cardio and strength/toning at the same time. What I'm finding is that I can easily do the 25 minute one for 3 or 4 days, then I need a rest day (probably due more to my work schedule, as I work nights 3x/week and don't have the stamina for it after a night on...) and I just did the 45 minute workout yesterday,and it has left my muscles sooooo sore! But, I know they got a good workout, so I am resting them today and just stretching, doing some light stuff.

Is anyone else out there doing Jillian right now? I really like her combination approach, feels like I'm working on alot of stuff at the same time, and thus getting the biggest bang for my buck, timewise.

But, I also want to be sure I don't overdo it and wear myself out... that would defeat the purpose.

I'm upping my calories to at least 1300 and hoping to see a change by next week... I'm just SO not used to seeing the weight come off like I did when I was lo-carb!! :blush:

:thanks: everybody for all the input... one way or the other, we'll all get there, and this way, we can help each other!

RedSoxFan
08-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Blythe: I have the 30 day shred from Jillian. Do you have that one? What other one do you have? I haven't done it in a while. The puppy (a yellow lab we got 4 weeks ago in Lowville) is keeping me very busy. I don't really need to lose much weight --- it's more toning that I want.

Dsnygirl
08-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Blythe: I have the 30 day shred from Jillian. Do you have that one? What other one do you have? I haven't done it in a while. The puppy (a yellow lab we got 4 weeks ago in Lowville) is keeping me very busy. I don't really need to lose much weight --- it's more toning that I want.
Hi Traci! I do have the Shred DVD, I also have her No More Trouble Zones one. I bet that puppy IS keeping you busy... she sounds adorable!! And I think these DVD's would be GREAT for toning... she really works on your muscles.

So - I started doing these DVD's last Monday, it's been 12 days... I've done Shred 5x's, NMTZ 2x's and light weights/sit-ups 4 times. So - 7 out of 12 days I've worked out, and I've also done the stairs at work (8 floors, all double-stairs... so 16 flights of 10 stairs each.... and I'm about dead when I'm done. ;)) I worked 4 nights in a row, so was up on my feet the whole time, which were the days/nights I did the light weights, etc., instead of a DVD - I'm just too tired during a stretch like that to really do a difficult workout.

I started by cutting calories to 1000, but now upped it to 1300... and nothing. Monday will be two weeks, and if I'm still at a 2lb weight loss, I'm giving up and going back to lo-carb. :confused: I may not maintain it well, but at least I lose weight and am not hungry -- right now, I'm frustrated b/c I may feel stronger, but my clothes fit the same, I've lost next to nothing and I'm starving all the time. :(

I realize two weeks isn't much to go by - but two weeks into lo-carb'ing it, I've generally lost 6-8 lbs and then am able to keep it off by increasing my excercising (or starting to excercise, as I generally lo-carb it before I start an excercise routine) as I add healthy carbs back in.

The main reason I put the 10lbs back on in the winter was eating foolishly and stopping excercising, not b/c I added carbs back in. I just added in some (okay, a lot... :blush:) of "stupid carbs" and w/o the excercise, I'm actually surprised I didn't gain back more than 10!!

So.... I'll let you guys know how it goes...

tinktude
08-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Whoo Hoo I hit the 50lb mark this weekend!!!! I have a long way to go before I hit my goal, but I am determined to get this weight off. My short term goal is to lose 20 more before we go on our trip at the end of October.

My DH hit his 50+ lb mark this past weekend too!! We are working as a team, and keep each other motivated.

garymacd
08-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Whoo Hoo I hit the 50lb mark this weekend!!!! I have a long way to go before I hit my goal, but I am determined to get this weight off. My short term goal is to lose 20 more before we go on our trip at the end of October.

My DH hit his 50+ lb mark this past weekend too!! We are working as a team, and keep each other motivated.

You two ROCK! That is amazing work for the two of you. Keep up the good work. You two will be back in bikini's and speedo's in no time flat!

Dsnygirl
08-18-2009, 05:00 AM

Congrats to you and your DH... that is SO great!! Keep up the good work!! :thumbsup:

magicofdisney
08-18-2009, 09:31 AM
I started by cutting calories to 1000, but now upped it to 1300... and nothing. Monday will be two weeks, and if I'm still at a 2lb weight loss, I'm giving up and going back to lo-carb. :confused: I may not maintain it well, but at least I lose weight and am not hungry -- right now, I'm frustrated b/c I may feel stronger, but my clothes fit the same, I've lost next to nothing and I'm starving all the time. :(

I realize two weeks isn't much to go by - but two weeks into lo-carb'ing it, I've generally lost 6-8 lbs and then am able to keep it off by increasing my excercising (or starting to excercise, as I generally lo-carb it before I start an excercise routine) as I add healthy carbs back in.

The main reason I put the 10lbs back on in the winter was eating foolishly and stopping excercising, not b/c I added carbs back in. I just added in some (okay, a lot... :blush:) of "stupid carbs" and w/o the excercise, I'm actually surprised I didn't gain back more than 10!!

So.... I'll let you guys know how it goes...

Blythe,

I just wanted to give you a little encouragement. I don't know if you'll respond the same way I do but this is what happens to me.

I do low-cal (1200-1300) with healthier choices and I don't see the weight loss weekly. Seriously, I'll loose about 5-6 lbs within a 2 day period and then I'll sit there for a good month before I have that 2 day weight loss again.

I don't know if this has something to do with my age or what but it wasn't like that when I was younger.

Also, I work out 5 days a week. Last night I was playing around and flexing my muscles. I couldn't believe the shape and definition I've developed. This is something I've never had in my arms and I'm SO excited about it.

I know you have to do what works best for you and what you're most comfortable with but I hope this helps a little. :thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
08-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Blythe,

I just wanted to give you a little encouragement. I don't know if you'll respond the same way I do but this is what happens to me.

I know you have to do what works best for you and what you're most comfortable with but I hope this helps a little. :thumbsup:

Thank you for that... it definitely did help! I'm just not a patient person by nature, which is why seeing results right off the bat works better for me, and keeps me motivated to keep going. It's the "long-distance" portion of the program that's tough for me, and that's what I'm trying to work through right now... keeping up the hard work, even w/o the tangible results.

So far, I've been able to keep up with the workouts, but I've backed off on trying to do them "too much", like when I'm exhausted from working all night. That just makes me too tired to function.

Funny, we went away this wknd to Canada, and I allowed myself some indulgences... some munchies, a few Coronas (how do you resist them when you're sitting on a lakefront?? ;)) and the like. I also worked last night and had a bit of an upset stomach, so ate mostly saltines and pretzels with some peanut butter. Not lo-carb, not lo-cal by any means... and got up today to see a weight loss, which NEVER happens after I've been up all night. ???

So -- I'll just keep "keeping on" -- hopefully, all of us giving each other help, advice, ideas & encouragement will keep us all going... it'll be interesting to see what this next week brings!!

:thanks: again!

Tinkerbella
08-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Just curious to see if any of you have heard of this calorie shifting diet? If you have or have tried it, have you seen results? I've hit a plateau and am very discouraged by it :( I currently workout 5 days a week and am on a 1,600 calorie diet. Maybe I need to lower my calories? Any help would be great, thanks!

magicofdisney
08-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Just curious to see if any of you have heard of this calorie shifting diet? If you have or have tried it, have you seen results? I've hit a plateau and am very discouraged by it :( I currently workout 5 days a week and am on a 1,600 calorie diet. Maybe I need to lower my calories? Any help would be great, thanks!
Hi Pam,

The only thing I know about it is the little I've read online. It may provide quick results but I know you don't want to continue this long term; it's not healthy.

I recommend either lowering your calories (to a minimum of 1200 calories) or making changes in your workouts. If you do weight training, you can increase your lbs, reps, sets or all three. If you're doing cardio, you can increase your time.

Now I am no expert by any means. These are only recommendations from me based on my experience. I have no formal educational training in these issues but I hope these may help you.

:)

garymacd
08-21-2009, 11:58 PM

I am always sceptical of any new diet plan, so I did a little research on this diet plan. It does scare me a little. Here are the basic tenets of the plan, credit given to ezine articles dot com. Some of them are good, especially numbers one, two and four below.

Eat only until you are satisfied but not until you are too full.
Leave a minimum gap of 2.5 to 3 hours between meals.
Eat only the foods prescribed to you according to the calorie shifting meal plan at each meal.
You must eat exactly 4 meals per day, no more and no less.
You have a choice to eat any of the 4 meals in any order throughout the day.
You must take a 3-day break from the diet on days 12 through 14 of your diet, before you may resume the diet again. This is to give your body a chance to rest from the rapid weight loss that you will be experiencing.

The one that really scares me is the last one that states you must take a three day break from the diet every fortnight. Why? A sensible nutrition plan should not poison or wreak havoc on your body. In an exercise regime, it is necessary to take breaks to allow muscles and connective tissue to regenerate and recuperate from small injuries. Any quick fix is just that, a quick fix that may lead to long-term problems. I really don't think it should be needed in a sensible, life-long nutrition plan. If you already have health issues, such as diabetes or kidney or liver disease, I really don't think this plan is good for you.

I also found this on Fit and Healthy website:

"Does a calorie shifting diet work? Yes, it does work, but there is one important caveat. Calorie shifting is not going to work if your current diet is poor. You need to find a good diet, which you can follow consistently for at least three months."

I do have to ask you, though, how much more do you want to lose? It's a rhetorical question: you don't have to answer. It is possible that your body has reached its ideal weight. I personally thought (secretly hoped) I would be at my lifeguarding weight of 165 pounds by now. Not happening. I am so much more muscular than I was way back then. My body seems happy around 190 - 195 pounds. It is also possible that your body needs to adjust to the current situation. A couple more weeks continuing as you are may lead to great gains, well, reductions in this case.

One other thing to note is that your exercise level and your calorie intake are not compatible at this time. You may find that your body needs MORE calories - not LESS - to keep up with your exercise levels. I had to do this with my program. I was actually starving and could not eat enough at one point in my program back in about February or March. I plateau'd until I started eating more. This happened again just a couple of weeks ago. At that time, my exercise level had doubled due to riding my bike back and forth to work and continuing my workout regime. I must be burning a good 1800 calories a day, just in exercise. If I was to drop my intake to 1600 calories, yes I would lose weight, but my body would not be able to recover from the workout.

Also remember that muscle weighs more than fat. You may have plateau'd due to this.

I would be extremely leary about starting a diet program that states I can lose 9 pounds in 11 days. The idea of increasing and decreasing your caloric intake a couple times a week may confuse your metabolism into fat-burning mode. I don't know for certain, but that is the thought behind it. I just don't think it is healthy.

These are my personal opinions only, and, as Genna said, I am not an expert either. I only know what works for me.

Tinkerbella
08-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for your speedy responses guys! I don't think I want to do the whole calorie shifting thing after learning more about it. I am curious though as to whether or no I should increase my calories? I am working out 5 days a week (2 run days totalling 7 miles and 3 aerobic circuit training days with half a day of yoga on one of those) I would love to see a registered dietician but simply do not have the money for one. :(

Since starting my bootcamp 14 weeks ago I haven't lost one pound but I have lost a total of 11 inches of body fat. I know muscle weighs more than fat and that that is why the scale is not budging. However, I feel like I've stopped losing inches now. I have a number in my head of where I'd like to be but I'm beginning to think that realistically my body will never be that small :unsure:

I think I just have not come to terms with my body yet and being comfortable in it. I'm really trying my hardest. That's why I love coming on here and reading all the positive things you guys have to say :D

magicofdisney
08-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Pam,

With the workouts you're doing, I'd be hesitant to lower the calories so don't take my previous advise in that area. I think garymacd is offering better advise here simply because he seems to more the workout guru than me. :)

garymacd
08-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Tink.
You know what I might try if I was in your shoes?

Take a week off. You have been pushing hard for 14 weeks. Your body needs a rest.

By this, I don't mean sit around and do nothing but eat krispy kreme's; but take it easy. Focus on light cardio, flexibility and core exercises. It might be just what you need.

When your rest week is over and you begin the heavy routine again, try adding a few hundred calories a day and see how you feel after a week. Also, try different strength routines so that you don't plateau. Different moves will work your muscles in different ways and may lead to new growth.

Did you get a body fat measurement done before you started and again recently? If not, you can find body fat calipers cheap on the internet with instructions on their use. By what you have said, it sounds like you have, and have burnt off quite a few inches and pounds of fat. Good going. This is a better measurement than weight.

A fit woman should have about 20 - 24 % body fat, men should have 14 -17 %. Elite female athletes might have 12 - 15 % and men might have 4 - 9 %. You need some fat store to assist with heat regulation and low level activity. It is unhealthy to have less than these amounts.

Disneygirl and Pam: I was looking at some of your posts and noted that you weren't too happy with results from 1000 - 1300 calorie diets. After a couple weeks of that, I think your bodies are in starve mode and are hoarding calories every chance they get.

A person weighing 150 pounds needs roughly 1500 calories a day just to allow the body to work properly and maintain that weight - and that doesn't include your daily activities, like work, looking after kids, moving around, not to mention exercise.

I hope I am not being preachy on this topic, or stepping on anyone's toes. If so, let me know and I will back off. Also, if anyone thinks I'm full of - well, you know - tell me. I am not an expert nor a personal trainer. I only know what works for me and what seems to be common sense. If your personal trainer has told you something different, listen to him or her.

Tinkerbella
08-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I appreciate all of your advice garymacd! :) I think I need to bump up my calories too. I've been sustaining my current calorie count 1,600 for such a long time and I should probably switch things up a bit. I find that I am, indeed, feeling hungrier than usual. I appreciate all of the advice, tips and ideas. You guys are so awesome! :thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
08-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Gary, I do not find you to be preachy or full of anything other than good advice, so keep it coming -- I appreciate it, and I'm sure everyone else does, too!

I'm just switching things up a bit right now... upping the calories a bit, lowering the carbs, maintaining my excercising and seeing what happens.

I took the last 4 days off, as we had family visiting and we were celebrating my DD's b'day... and I find that if I completely deny myself during occassions like this, I just end up bingeing later on. So -- it felt good to just "let it go" over the weekend, and I found I hadn't gained anything when I jumped on the scale this morning, so that's good, too. Maybe the muscle I've begun to build burnt the calories better!! :thumbsup:

:thanks: to everyone for all the encouragement and advice... I'll take whatever I can get, and hopefully I can give some back, too! :)

Bethis26fan
08-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Hi All! I am jumping back on the wagon. I have been off it a while and gained back weight I had lost. I've started my walking today and some new exercises. I've been feeling bad & I know it's because I went from losing weight to gaining it and it put a strain on my body. My overall long term goal is to lose a 100lbs. My first mini goal is to loose 25lbs by time I go to Disney. That gives me a 2lbs a week. I am hoping if I post it here it will keep me accountable.

Dsnygirl
08-24-2009, 03:58 PM
I am hoping if I post it here it will keep me accountable.
I think that's what we're all hoping, I know I am!! I figure if I have to come on here and say something, I want to be able to say I did something good for my body! ;)

Good for you getting back after it... I think most of us have experienced the "slide" back into complacency, and sometimes it just takes one little thing for that light to go off, and to get us back started taking care of ourselves.

For me, it was just how I felt physically, and how my clothes began to fit... and these were clothes I loved, that I'd purchased after I'd lost weight and gotten rid of the bigger sizes.

Then, it was also our upcoming trip -- I want to wear those clothes just like I did last December, and I want to enjoy wearing them, not feel uncomfortable!!

So, you go girl -- 2 lbs a week is achievable, I think, that's where I'm at, as well -- we can do this!! :thumbsup:

magicofdisney
09-09-2009, 07:23 PM
I have a question for those who workout using weights.

We have a workout room next to our clubhouse in our neighborhood. Everything I know was self taught using the internet (either good or bad/correct or wrong) and friends.

I workout 5 days a week. I try to alternate cardio with weight training (circuit training) using machines. We have 6 weight machines and 4 cardio machines in the workout room.

My favorite cardio workout takes place on the elliptical machine. I just love using that thing and the calorie count is very easy. I just punch in my weight and it figures out calories burned based on duration and resistance. I'm up to 426 calories burned for a 30min workout (YAY...this may seem like a lot to some and a little to others but it's where I am at this point).

My question is how do you figure out calories burned using weights? I have an app for my iPod that calculates the info for me but I'm just not sure how accurate it is. The app considers my height, weight and duration of workout and then gives me a calories burn count based on intensity (low, normal or high). I have no idea what intensity level I should be. I usually just say normal but am I cheating myself by not choosing high and am I being overconfident in my ability? :blush:

I usually circuit train for about 30 min. I mostly do three sets of 10 reps for most options on the machines. I am usually perspiring when I'm finished and my muscles feel week for about an hour after I'm done. In the beginning my muscles were sore most of the time but that is a rarity now.

To figure out my weight maxes for the machine I followed a guideline I found online. For some machines, the weight is the same and for others it is different.

Basically, I found the max weight I could take to 16 reps (as in, by the time you get to 16 you can barely finish). Supposedly that is your max weight and you move up from there to continually challenge yourself.

Any input would be appreciated.

TIA

garymacd
09-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Sorry, Genna, I don't have an answer for you. I think it would be too hard to give a definitive answer to your question because of all the variables: length of workout, general fitness level, amount of weight used, number of reps, to name a few. I would have to think that if you worked up as much of a sweat doing strength training as you do for a cardio, the caloric burn would be at least comparable.

I did find a calorie calculator for weight training and will PM you the link.

IloveDisney71
09-16-2009, 09:58 PM
I lost around 25-30 pounds on weight watcher's 2 years ago. I've been under a lot of stress in the past year and I'm a stress eater...I've put 10 pounds on.:( I purposely got rid of all my larger sizes so I'd have to maintain my weight. I refuse to go shopping for bigger clothes. Anyway, I've started exercising again (2 weeks ago) and I already have more energy. I'm back to watching my point intake and cooking healthier meals. I've lost 2 pounds. I'm bound and determined to get this other 8 pounds off! I've got to be able to fit into my "winter" pants. :D I also may be making a trip to Disney in December so that's my biggest motivator!
I love this thread and all the encouragement that everyone offers.
I want to wish everyone luck with staying on the healthy wagon!;)

garymacd
12-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Well, 2009 is starting to wind down and we have all been working hard to make it a healthy year. How is everyone doing? Have you met your goals? Have you struggled, not met your goals, but do you feel better about yourself? Let us all know.

Personally, I feel the best I have felt in years. I don't think I will ever be a size 32 waist again, and I will never, ever wear a Speedo again, but I am much stronger and muscular than I was a year ago.

I even got ego-ed into a charity calendar launch fashion show at work and had to strut my stuff - without a shirt on (shudder) - in front of 600 screaming women. This did include my beloved wife and two daughters. I don't think I looked as good as some of the younger guys, but for a 50+ year old guy, I don't think I looked too bad. I did shave my back for the occasion. I didn't want anyone to :ack:

magicofdisney
12-19-2009, 12:22 AM
... I will never, ever wear a Speedo again...
Don't feel bad about this. ;)

I did shave my back for the occasion. I didn't want anyone to :ack:
Nothing like a little honesty to cheer us up. :thumbsup:

I have to admit the holidays during this time of year make it very challenging. I'm nearly at my goal. I'm still gradually increasing my cardio time and my weights so I know I'll get there. No need to make a New Year's Resolution because this is now my lifestyle I've truly grown to love. :)

garymacd
12-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Good for you, Genna!

Bethis26fan
12-30-2009, 07:31 PM
I haven't been on the boards in a while. So here's my up date. I've lost 19lbs since Sept. I managed to loose 4 durring our disney trip. It really is a magical place. lol I only gained 1 lb during the christmas holiday so I am happy with that, because i did eat junk. So there's my update. 15 more lbs & i'll be at my first big goal.

PirateLover
12-31-2009, 12:37 AM
Looks like I will need to be a member of the 2010 Healthy living club!!! I am at my absolute heaviest I've ever been in my life. I am 5'3'' and since the age of 16 I've always hovered around the 125-130 mark. Well, right now I'm 24 and hovering around 155-160. I ate right for a month and lost 5 lbs to fit comfortably in a dress for a friend's wedding... but after that I went right back to old habits and then some. I not only gained back those 5lbs but ANOTHER 5 as well. It's quite depressing to wake up for work one morning and find you can't comfortably button your pants. :(
I really need to stop this right now. I have a wedding in 5 months that I want to look fabulous for, and a delayed honeymoon in 6 months that will have lots of beach time so I want a hot beach bod as well! So, assuming this keeps going in the new year, I think checking in weekly with you guys will help keep me in check a little bit. Looking forward to waving bye bye to this extra poundage....

magicofdisney
12-31-2009, 08:12 AM
I have surgery coming up on Monday, Jan 4, so I won't be able to stick with my regular workout routine for about 6wks or so. This concerns me slightly because I don't want to loose my motivation. For me, exercise is absolutely essential so I must be vigilant with proper nutrition during this time.

Good for you, Genna!
Thank you for the encouragement throughout the year. :)

garymacd
12-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Have a Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year's Eve!

See you in 2010!

Gary

badkitty
12-31-2009, 07:12 PM
I haven't been on the boards in a while. So here's my up date. I've lost 19lbs since Sept. I managed to loose 4 durring our disney trip. It really is a magical place. lol I only gained 1 lb during the christmas holiday so I am happy with that, because i did eat junk. So there's my update. 15 more lbs & i'll be at my first big goal.

Congratulations! That is a great accomplishment. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

garymacd
01-01-2010, 11:51 AM

Well done Beth! Knew you could do it.

garymacd
01-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Looks like I will need to be a member of the 2010 Healthy living club!!! I am at my absolute heaviest I've ever been in my life. I am 5'3'' and since the age of 16 I've always hovered around the 125-130 mark. Well, right now I'm 24 and hovering around 155-160. I ate right for a month and lost 5 lbs to fit comfortably in a dress for a friend's wedding... but after that I went right back to old habits and then some. I not only gained back those 5lbs but ANOTHER 5 as well. It's quite depressing to wake up for work one morning and find you can't comfortably button your pants. :(
I really need to stop this right now. I have a wedding in 5 months that I want to look fabulous for, and a delayed honeymoon in 6 months that will have lots of beach time so I want a hot beach bod as well! So, assuming this keeps going in the new year, I think checking in weekly with you guys will help keep me in check a little bit. Looking forward to waving bye bye to this extra poundage....

Don't give up hope Maryanne. Remember: baby steps are what will get you there. Giant steps are neat and flashy, but they just don't seem to last.

Focus on your health, not the number on the scale. When I started my program last January, I stepped on the scale and got a shocking baseline number. Then I didn't step on the scales again for three months. I based my improvements how my loose my pants got and how my body felt, not the number on the scale. Oh yeah. I also based it on the comments of my beloved wife, who was sceptical at first but later on - well, I will let your imagination take it from there.

I guess we really need to start a new Healthy Living for 2010 thread. I don't know how to do that, so I will leave it to someone else or a Moderator to do.

Disney4us2
01-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Can I join in on the 2010 healthy living club?

I actually lost a few pounds last year. Since going on insulin I have really been watching what I eat closely.

Here is to a healthy 2010:thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
01-01-2010, 01:25 PM
I have to post this...

In 2009, I had a severe bout of gout... Went to my doctor to get it checked out, turns out my blood pressure was extremely high... Could have been in part because I was in severe pain, but, needless to say, the high reading scared me.. I decided to finally get smart and diet... I also began to exercise.. This was June 1st...

Well, As of October 1st (I haven't weighed myself since) I had lost 30 pounds... I know I have lost some more weight, but I cannot say exactly how much since I don't weigh myself monthly... Of course, I cheated some during the holiday season... :)

January 1, 2010, I am going to put myself back on my diet and return to the gym..

Have a happy and healthy 2010 Intercot!!!!