PDA

View Full Version : 09' Cooking with INTERCOT

Carol
01-01-2009, 07:48 PM
:chef: :eat: :pizza: :popcorn: :tasty: :cart:

This is the place to share any great recipes, or ask any cooking related questions!

stitchaholic
01-02-2009, 07:34 AM
wow,great thread,i am going to start by listing one of my newest favorite salad recipe,so simple but so yummy!

mandarine chicken salad
spring mix salad
mandarine oranges
toasted sliced almonds(just toast in pan for 2 minutes)
chopped chicken breast

vinagrette
equal parts honey,balsamic and olive oil,salt pepper

enjoy!

TinyDancer
01-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Ok ok ok. So this is one of MY favorites!!!

- boneless chicken thighs (I like them with the skin on, but basically you can use any chicken pieces you want)
- mayo
- bread crumbs

Preheat the oven to about 350. Slather mayo all over the chicken piece and then smother it with breadcrumbs and put it on a nonstick cookie tin. When they're all done, cover with tin foil and cook for probably an hour. This will vary a bit, just keep an eye on them. A few minutes before you take them out, take off the foil and let them crisp up a bit more.

The mayo keeps the crust of breadcrumbs crunchy and the chicken from drying out. It is my FAVORITE way of having chicken!!! You should serve it with deep fried okra (cut up/thaw okra pieces, dip them in an egg you've whisked, coat in flour/cornbread/breadcrumbs and put in your Fry Daddy) which is my other favorite! :blush:

mouseketeer mom
01-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Heres an easy recipe for vegetable cheese soup.
2 cans chicken broth (I use the low salt kind, but any will do)
1 package (160z) frozen carrot, broccoli and cauliflower blend
12oz velveeta cheese

Bring broth and vegs to a boil and then simmer on low about 20mins until vegs are tender. Remove from heat and mash vegs in the broth, as much or as little as you like. Stir in the velveeta cheese and heat thru for about 5 mins until cheese is melted.
Delicious and easy for chilly winter nights!! We put croutons on top when we serve this. YUMMY! I usually double the recipe so we have leftovers.

simpleyred
01-11-2009, 01:51 PM
This soup has become a new favorite at my house. Just the right amount for my DH and I.

Tomato-Basil Orzo Soup
1/2 cup each chopped carrot, celery and onion
1/8 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and thyme
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 can (19 ounces) ready-to-serve tomato basil or hearty tomato soup
1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup uncooked orzo pasta
In a small saucepan, saute the carrot, celery and onion with basil, oregano and thyme in oil for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
Add soup and broth. Bring to a boil. Stir in orzo. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until orzo and vegetables are tender. Yield: 2 servings.

I use a can of Progresso Tomato Basil Soup as suggested by the person who submitted the orginal recipe. We love it with whole wheat rolls on a cold winters afternoon.

Next trip-Feb.7-13,2009 POFQ :cloud9:

yourmagicalguide
02-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Heres an easy recipe for vegetable cheese soup [...] Delicious and easy for chilly winter nights!! We put croutons on top when we serve this. YUMMY! I usually double the recipe so we have leftovers.

I tried this recipe last night because I had all the ingredients already. I even added a can of Del Monte diced new potatoes to make it thicker and more filling.

Let me just say, It was FANTASTIC :D :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for sharing! I'm definitely doubling the recipe next time ;)

Dulcee
02-23-2009, 08:04 PM
So I'm a college student who really enjoys spending time in the kitchen. While I love experimenting with new ideas I generally need to pick things that are very budget friendly so I decided to venture into the Italian classic of gnocchi. I remember making them with my Mom a few times when I was younger but we haven't done them in quite some time. They came out so nice I thought I'd share...

2 large baking potatoes
1 cup flour (plus more for rolling/dusting)
1 egg, beaten
salt
pepper

Boil the potatoes in their skins until tender, about 40 minutes. Remove one at a time from water and using a dish towel peel the first potato. Using a fork begin to break down the potato. Your looking for a soft fluffy consistency, more scraping the potato with the tines of the fork then mashing. Remove the second potato and break it down. Allow the potato fluff to cool enough that the egg will not cook when mixed in. Add egg, generous salt, pepper and 3/4 cup flour. Mix until it begins to form a soft dough. Continue adding more flour until dough doesn't appear tacky. Knead on a floured board until smooth dough forms. Cut into 8 pieces. roll each piece into a long log between 1/2 to inch thick, depending on preference. Cut int 3/4inch pieces. I then pressed mine gently into the tines of a fork to form ridges to better catch sauces. Boil for about 1-2 minutes (until they begin to float) in salted water. Remove using a slotted spoon and toss with a little olive oil to keep them from sticking. Extra gnocchi can be frozen individually on a cookie sheet and then bagged together once frozen solid. Cook in frozen state (about 5 -6 minutes for frozen ones).

They were really yummy and while a bit labor intensive from the time the poatoes came out of the water they only took about an hour. This recipe serves 4. I tossed mine with some sauted garlic, onion, tomato and spicy turkey sausage but just pesto or olive oil and garlic would be nice too.

If your looking for a sunday or a saturday afternoon project or have small children who like to "play" in the kitchen like I did, this is a great inexpensive meal. :) Enjoy!

mouseketeer mom
02-23-2009, 09:11 PM
I tried this recipe last night because I had all the ingredients already. I even added a can of Del Monte diced new potatoes to make it thicker and more filling.

Let me just say, It was FANTASTIC :D :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for sharing! I'm definitely doubling the recipe next time ;)

Oh! I'm so glad you liked it! Its a gem isn't it??

PlutoToo
02-24-2009, 06:41 AM
I was looking for a reasonably healthy way to top some fresh berries I found at the grocery store. I took a large container of vanilla yogurt and stirred in about a box and a half of sugar free fat free white chocolate pudding mix. It really turned out good and goes great with the berries.

Disney-4-Me
05-01-2009, 03:13 PM
My favorite treat from Disney World is a Mickey Head rice krispie on a stick with chocolate ears. I think I know how to make them, but I haven't been able to find a form for the Mickey heads. I look every year at Disney World. Does anyone know of a mold I can use?

tinkgirl07
05-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Disney-4-Me: Did you try a mickey shaped cookie cutter? I know they sell those at WDW and I think on the Disney Store website. You will have some waste from the cutting, but you will just be able to eat those, mark it up to the hazard of the job. Depending on how thick you make the rice krispy treats seems like that would work! Just a thought...I'm not much of a cook so not sure if this will work :chef:

last real pirate
05-25-2009, 08:47 AM
peanut-buddy pie is the best summer dessert ever created!!! it goes great at cookouts and bbq's cause it is served cold, very easy to do, and is cheap to make. this will make two pies ( i usually have to make to two cause i eat half of one by myself but dont tell anybody :secret: lol )

-two graham cracker pie crusts
-16 oz of cool whip
-1 block of cream cheese
-1 small can of condense milk
-1 jar of creamy peanut butter. ( i like peter pan but you can use your favorite )
-chocolate syrup

all you have to do is dump everything but the chocolate syrup into a large bowl and blend very well. you dont not have to measure anything, just put the hole can in there. when it is blended smmoth with no lumps, spoon into pie crust and put a layer of chocolate over the top. freeze over night and you are ready to go. you dont have to freeze over night if you dont have time but the colder it is the better it will taste. i promise you will NOT be disappointed. let me know what you think.

UCJen
06-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Ooh, now this is my type of thread!

Thanks for all of the recipe ideas.

Here is what I have been making for b'fast since the weather is warmer.

Mango Lassi
1 C. of mango (I've been using Champagne Mangos)
1/2 milk
1C. yogurt
Your choice of sweetener to taste

First, I puree the mango in the blender, then I add the remaining ingredients and blend.

It's filling and you get a dairy and a good fruit serving or two in for the day.

hokies4life
07-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I was looking for a reasonably healthy way to top some fresh berries I found at the grocery store. I took a large container of vanilla yogurt and stirred in about a box and a half of sugar free fat free white chocolate pudding mix. It really turned out good and goes great with the berries.

My Future Mother in Law did something similar to this as well. She was making a fruit salad type dish and after putting all the fruit in the bowl she added a mixture of vanilla yogurt and some vanilla pudding mix. The yogurt mixture tasted pretty good and would probably make a good tasting snack in its self.

aprilisis
07-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks! Great recipe! Since I'm a vegetarian, though, I switched the chicken broth with vegetable broth. I loved it!

Heres an easy recipe for vegetable cheese soup.
2 cans chicken broth (I use the low salt kind, but any will do)
1 package (160z) frozen carrot, broccoli and cauliflower blend
12oz velveeta cheese

Bring broth and vegs to a boil and then simmer on low about 20mins until vegs are tender. Remove from heat and mash vegs in the broth, as much or as little as you like. Stir in the velveeta cheese and heat thru for about 5 mins until cheese is melted.
Delicious and easy for chilly winter nights!! We put croutons on top when we serve this. YUMMY! I usually double the recipe so we have leftovers.

amy-rella
08-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Does anyone have a good recipe for Texas sheet cake? I've never made one but I thought it would be a good thing to bring for a carry-in at work.
Thanks!

Tinkerbella
08-11-2009, 04:20 AM
I LOVE this mid-afternoon or early morning meal! I picked this up from my 'Fitchix Bootcamp' group! It's also less than 400 calories :thumbsup:

1)Toast an english muffin (I personally LOVE the Ezekial English Muffins as I find them filling)
2)Top both halfs with a serving of dried sweetened or unsweetened cranberries and one serving of semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
3)Since I find the chocolate doesn't melt that much I'll pop it in the microwave for 15 seconds to get it gooey
4)Sprinkle with 1tsp cinnamon and enjoy!

Mackflava99
08-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Does anyone have the recipe for the Tapanade they served at Spoodles?
My wife loved it, the CM was supposed to send it to her but we nover got it-

GA girl
08-19-2009, 07:40 PM
I need a recipe suggestion for a meal that I can make and take to a friend of mine who's father is sick. Hospice was just called in so they are not sure how much time he has left.

I was wanting to do something for her and the only thing I could think of was making a meal. Does anyone have any suggestions on something that would be easy for her to reheat. I was thinking some sort of casserole??

Any other suggestions would be great.
Also prayers for her and her family.

Thanks

DisneyFreak23
09-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Here's a great recipie for a very easy chipdip!

2 packages Cream Cheese (low-fat or regular, it tastes the same)
about a 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
about a half cup milk
and Beef Bouillion granules.

Using an electric mixer, mix the cream cheese and milk together until creamy. (Should not be really stiff, if its stiff still, add more milk until creamy) Then add onion to taste, finally add about 1 tsp of bouillion granules. mix well, then taste. Add a pinch more bouillion to taste if you prefer!

-goes great with Ruffles Chips!

VWL Mom
09-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Does anyone have the recipe for the Tapanade they served at Spoodles?
My wife loved it, the CM was supposed to send it to her but we nover got it-
I found this one online:

Recipes
Olive Tapenade Bread Dip - Spoodles

Ingredients
14 ounces Green Olives Stuffed with Pimiento
7 ounces Kalamata Olives
2 ounces Pickled Onions
4 ounces Pepperocini
6 ounces Carrots
5 ounces Celery
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
¾ Teaspoon Celery Salt
1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
1 Teaspoon Dried Basil
½ Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1 cup Olive Oil
2 ounces Red Wine Vinegar

Method of Preparation
Place Olives, Onions, Peppers, Carrots and Celery in a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped, but not pureed.
Fold in remaining ingredients and season with Kosher Salt and Black Pepper For bread dip, mix 2 tablespoons of the Tapenade with ¼ cup of Olive Oil.

azdisneymom
09-29-2009, 12:00 AM
I am looking for help as I am stuck in a rut and my family is really tired of it. :blush: I was hoping a few of you good cooks could share your favorite slow cooker recipes. I have a cookbook but actually my favorites came from people who made up their own recipe.

Thank you!!!

stitchaholic
09-29-2009, 07:24 AM
i have just pulled out the slow cooker,i don't use it in the summer.
today i am taking 2 large and thick pork loin chops (from costco), i will season them and brown them in a skillet first.
then i put them in the slow cooker with VH honey garlic sparerib sauce (the chinese rib sauce),it is so good!
i will serve ir with rice and sauteed broccoli.

d_m_n_n
09-29-2009, 01:33 PM
I got this recipe from McGoofy and it is so yummy...but definitely not for anyone watching their diet...

Crock Pot Macaroni

Ingredients needed:
8 oz. cooked macaroni noodles
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (set aside 1/3 cup)
1/2 small block Velveeta cheese cut into chunks
1 beaten egg
1 small can evaporated milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1 3/4 cup milk
dash of salt and pepper
paprika (optional)

Mix all ingredients except parika and 1/3 cup of shredded cheese. Pour mixed ingredients into crock pot. Sprinkle remaining 1/3 cup of shredded cheese on top. (Use more cheese if desired.) Sprinkle parika on top of cheese if desired. Cook 3 hours and 15 minutes on medium heat.

Mackflava99
09-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Thank you SOOOOOO much VWL MOm !!!!

I found this one online:

Recipes
Olive Tapenade Bread Dip - Spoodles

Ingredients
14 ounces Green Olives Stuffed with Pimiento
7 ounces Kalamata Olives
2 ounces Pickled Onions
4 ounces Pepperocini
6 ounces Carrots
5 ounces Celery
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
¾ Teaspoon Celery Salt
1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
1 Teaspoon Dried Basil
½ Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1 cup Olive Oil
2 ounces Red Wine Vinegar

Method of Preparation
Place Olives, Onions, Peppers, Carrots and Celery in a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped, but not pureed.
Fold in remaining ingredients and season with Kosher Salt and Black Pepper For bread dip, mix 2 tablespoons of the Tapenade with ¼ cup of Olive Oil.

Alligirl
10-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Ok my friends, my DD & I are entering a "Fall Festival" bake off! It is the first year that they are adding this to the event ( that my brother helps organize) and I have been asked to make a few things since they are unsure of how many will enter and they want it to look good!
Any recipes or ideas for me? It's cookies, brownies, bars or breads, muffins, loaves or pies, tarts & pastries, or cake! We love to bake and people enjoy our baking but I have never entered a contest so any and all suggestions are appreciated
ie: I'm thinking to not do chocolate chip cookies as everyone makes those! What else do we need to know?!:confused: Thanks!

DizNee143
10-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Ok my friends, my DD & I are entering a "Fall Festival" bake off! It is the first year that they are adding this to the event ( that my brother helps organize) and I have been asked to make a few things since they are unsure of how many will enter and they want it to look good!
Any recipes or ideas for me? It's cookies, brownies, bars or breads, muffins, loaves or pies, tarts & pastries, or cake! We love to bake and people enjoy our baking but I have never entered a contest so any and all suggestions are appreciated
ie: I'm thinking to not do chocolate chip cookies as everyone makes those! What else do we need to know?!:confused: Thanks!

i have a receipe for an apple and cranberry casserole..
its basically just apples and cranberries mixed with sugar..on the bottom of a 13x9 pan..with mixture that contains oatmeal and a few other ingreidents..put on top...i LOVE it!!..
let me know if you want me to post the full/real receipe..lol...
also..Goodluck!!! :mickey:

Alligirl
10-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Mmmmmmm! Sounds like an apple crisp, which I love with a little vanilla ice cream!! But I am not sure it fits the categories!:confused: Although it is very autumnal and I think that may be the way to go here.

Alligirl
10-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Well DD has decided what to make for the bake off, 2 kinds of Irish soda bread ( one sweet & one more traditional) as well as Irish brown bread with honey butter, pumpkin cookies, apple muffins & pecan pie tarts. I'm really not sure she will have time for all of this, but it seems she will be taking over the kitchen. DH and I may have to eat out!