PDA

View Full Version : ShamWow?!?!

TinyDancer
01-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Does anyone have these? Are they as good as they seem, lol?

garymacd
01-01-2009, 08:32 PM
This is only my personal opinion, but no, they are not. Even the commercial (to me) seems to be faked in places. I can't figure out how a chamois can draw up all kinds of fluid right through a piece of carpet. Watch it again, there seem to be some...gaps.

I have had several synthetic chamois in the past, and none of them lived up to my expectations. They always left a film of beaded water on my car that a genuine chamois did not.

Granted, they are soft, pliable and absorbent, and can be used to dry and shine. I am not completely certain, but if you watched the diving in this past year's Olympics, you might have seen the divers using a towel over and over again, even while it was wet, and even taking it into the shower with them. I think it might be something like the Sham-Wow.

PirateLover
01-01-2009, 11:34 PM
I can't stand "ShamWow Vince." He just seems like a real shyster. Not nearly as friendly and convincing as Billy Mays ;) . My fiance's father just got some... I haven't heard a report yet on how they work. But I highly doubt it will soak all that cola out of the carpet.

stitchaholic
01-02-2009, 07:11 AM
i have them,and although i don't have carpet to do the test,i did spill a cup of coffee in my car,the whole cup holder was filled,both sides,and my handy dandy shamwow sucked up the coffee completely,i will always have 1 in my car now.

brad192
01-02-2009, 03:02 PM
This same exact thing was on the market about 10-15 years ago. Same color & everything. I was stupid enough to buy it. Ya know what it actually is? A big piece of felt. That's it. Orange felt. For the price they charge (S&H charges? Oh please...) you could go down to your local fabric store and get yards of it.

Magic Smiles
01-02-2009, 03:04 PM
I have an imitation of Sham Wow and it does not work. I will be interested in the comments on this thread. If the Sham Wow is as great as the commercial, I may just buy them. We can get them at our local mall.

stitchaholic
01-02-2009, 03:25 PM
i see your canadian,you can get them at zellers as well,as i said,it did pick up alot more liquid than most cloths could handle,and it is great for spills,maybe not as great as it is on the commercial,but i'm not unhappy with the purchase.

CanadianWDWFan
01-02-2009, 04:31 PM
We bought ours in the local mall at a store that only sells stuff you can find on infomercials. I have used ours but it was nowhere nearly as good as the commercial suggests. But that said it was better than any cloth or paper towel.

I am glad that I didn't have to pay the shipping and handling.

pink
01-02-2009, 06:50 PM
We got it for Christmas this year and we never used it on any heavy duty spills or but minor ones here and there and it seemed to work ok. However, they say that it's machine washable and that doesn't seem to be completely true. I just pulled one of them out of the dryer a few hours ago and it had all little fly aways on it and felt like a completely different material. :mickey:

stitchaholic
01-02-2009, 06:52 PM
machine washable yes,dryer no,no,no,it says so on the package.

Tinkermom
01-02-2009, 09:33 PM
I don't know about the ShamWow but I have gotten some microfiber cloths from Kohls and they work great! They dry my countertops, dishes, pots and pans so well. They also work awesome to clean stainless steel appliances. I never use fabric softener when I wash the microfiber though as per the instructions. I always wondered if the ShamWow was just a microfiber cloth. Anyone know? I highly doubt is is felt and felt is not at all absorbent.

Camping Mom
01-02-2009, 11:27 PM
My DH just had to have them when we went to the fair this year. I used one the other day and not impressed. I was told that dog owners used to use them to "shine" the coats of their dogs before competition. I tried to dry water off the dog and it didn't work any better than a towel.

divinedi
01-05-2009, 09:49 AM
I bought some last summer, haven't used them much and didn't like the results when I did. Over the Christmas holidays, my sump pump in my laundry room (cement floor) died and before I could get a new one in place, it spread to the edge of my carpet and got it really wet, so I thought I would give them a try. Well to my surprise it did actually work fairly well, I would set them down on the carpet where it was wet, press it down a little, walk away for about 5 minutes(while I was cleaning up the rest of the laundry room!) and come back to find them soaked with water. Squeeze them out, lay them out again, etc. etc. and got most of the water out of the carpet, put a fan on for the night and it was dry the next morning. From past experience, I know it would have been days to dry the carpet if I hadn't used these cloths.

I do honestly believe they work better wet though, never had much luck with them using them dry, not sure why that works.

MNNHFLTX
01-05-2009, 12:06 PM
It sounds like they marketed Shamwow first up in Canada (are they made by a Canadian company?) We first saw them last summer at the Calgary Stampede at a kiosk in one of the buildings. We didn't buy any but wondered how they worked because almost everyone walking around there had at least one package of them.

I don't mind the commercials--they're better than the Head-On ones anyway.

stitchaholic
01-05-2009, 12:17 PM
sucked up a whole cup of coffee for me again this morning! what i need to learn is how to stop spilling whole cups of coffee

LavaLamp
01-05-2009, 03:37 PM
I did not happen to purchase the ShamWow but the guy on the commercial makes me want to rip his little Britney Spears microphone off and shove it down his esophagus.

garymacd
01-05-2009, 08:10 PM
(are they made by a Canadian company?)

I don't know if they are made in Canada or not. I seem to recall something about Germany, but I could be wrong.

They (or something very much like them) have been marketed at just about every trade show, home show and exhibition I have attended in about the last fifteen years. And just about everyone walks around with a package of them or some kind of microfibre mop.

Magic Smiles
01-06-2009, 06:48 AM
I don't know if they are made in Canada or not. I seem to recall something about Germany, but I could be wrong.

They (or something very much like them) have been marketed at just about every trade show, home show and exhibition I have attended in about the last fifteen years. And just about everyone walks around with a package of them or some kind of microfibre mop.

I also have heard that they were made in Germany. I bought the imitation ones from one of the Home Shows I attended. They do not work dry at least. Never have tried using them dampened. May try my knockoffs dampened to see if they too work. If not, I might just have to purchase the Original ShamWow. Really thought I would have gotten some for christmas as I LOVE the commercial for some strange reason and would always comment on them. Maybe it is just so irritating that it is catchy. Guess DH didn't get the hint.

VWL Mom
01-06-2009, 08:43 AM
The is an infomercial rating site that lists people's experience with As Seen on TV products. The ShamWow gets mixed reviews. Those that rate it high all say it must be used damp.

jrkcr
01-06-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't know about the shamwow, but I have used a regular chamois cloth for years and it works great. But it does have to be damp to work! And after you wash it, stretch it out a bit and hang it to dry, but not in full sun.
I may have to try shamwow when it eventually comes to stores.