PDA

View Full Version : Question: Stealth Bombers and the Rose Bowl

alphamommy
01-01-2009, 05:11 PM
This morning, at the beginning of the Rose Parade, they indicated that two Stealth Bombers had been flown to Southern California for the Rose Bowl festivities. They said that one would be used for the start of the parade, and the other for the beginning of the Rose Bowl game.

Does anyone know why they had to have two different bombers to do these two fly overs? Why couldn't the same plane be used for both?

My only guess is that one was there as a back-up, in case something happened to the other one. I was just curious if there is some real reason why one plane couldn't do both fly overs.

Thanks!

medic9016
01-01-2009, 05:56 PM
The time difference between the parade and football game would be my guess. They fly from their home base and do the fly over and return. They either came from an Air Force base in New Mexico or Missouri.

LuvsTigger80
01-01-2009, 06:19 PM
the stealth bombers "home" is in Kansas. That is only place that they can land...or so i've been told...hince the porta potties on the bomber. I know that the plane that was flying over the parade was late..... but i'm guessing that they don't have enough fuel to stick around for the football game. nor can they land at any airport. hope this helps.

medic9016
01-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Whiteman Air Force Base Missouri and one of the AF base in New Mexico either Kirkland or White Sands have the Stealth Bombers.

alphamommy
01-01-2009, 07:50 PM
They said at the beginning of the game that the two bombers flew to California from Missouri on Tuesday.

Figaro
01-01-2009, 08:06 PM
No offense meant, but the media when it comes to military and aviation isn't the best anyways. I've been into aviation since I was knee high and the same with the military, and have studied and been involved with both, so hearing some of the things said by the media, while well intentioned, is often inaccurate and misguided.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I watched it on the Travel Channel and they said the one doing the flyover during the parade came from Kansas and that it was late and they weren't even sure if it was going to make it because of ice on the wings. But I don't know why they don't have one do both fly overs.

wdwfansince75
01-02-2009, 10:55 AM
I watched it on the Travel Channel and they said the one doing the flyover during the parade came from Kansas and that it was late and they weren't even sure if it was going to make it because of ice on the wings. But I don't know why they don't have one do both fly overs.

Please note post immediately above yours....Military pilots are better trained, and better educated, then the "military correspondents" of most media outlets....the de-icing system on the B-2 ensures that the aircraft is never late because of ice on the wings....Sounds like the excuse some of my former pilots used when their wives asked, "Where have you been?"....it is the aviation equivalent of "Traffic was terrible....must have been an accident!"...and as real as "The dog ate my homework!"

brad192
01-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Yeah, they came from Missouri. One for the parade, the other for the game. Then they flew back to Missouri. You don't land a 2 billion dollar, top secret aircraft at LAX. You just don't do it.:nono: