PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve - Who Went?

dnickels
01-01-2009, 10:49 AM
All right, who spent New Years in one of the parks and how was it?

After I called to find it wasn't at capacity I strolled into Epcot at 10:30 PM last night, rode Spaceship Earth once then watched the fireworks from in front of Germany. The crowds were surprisingly not bad, I actually got a spot to stand right up against the railing.

I knew getting out was going to be bad, I got back to my car about 12:45 and was parked fairly close in the handicapped section because of my paralysis. I watched all the other drivers sitting in line and not going anywhere so I reclined the seats and dozed off. Woke up about 2:30 and the parking lot was nearly empty but it still took another 10 minutes to get out as the last of the line was making it's way to the main roads. Home and in bed by 3 AM and I didn't have to spend all day in the parks to see the celebration! :thumbsup:

Sunshine1010
01-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Were the fireworks better than the Christmas fireworks at Epcot?

chrisb26
01-01-2009, 12:05 PM
That is surprising that you were able to get in at 10:30 but that is pretty cool.

I wasn't there going down tomorrow actually :D

As for the fireworks. I don't know if it was the same as last years but I've seen video of last years it is very cool. They shoot off fireworks from behind each country celebrating their New Year it ends with our New Year where they shoot off LOTS of fireworks. From the video I've seen I like New Year fireworks more then the Christmas ones.

sagitarius
01-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Got to Epcot yesterday at 9:30 in the morning, rode SSE, got a bite to eat then went to check in at our hotel (offsite). Returned at around 4:00 in the afternoon and we were able to park very close to the main exit. It took only about 10 minutes to get out of the parking lot. Epcot hasn't reached capacity in the last 3 years (at least) so it wasn't even a question to leave and come back later for a "better" parking spot. Fireworks were great (as always) however, they removed the big band and dancing from the International showcase and replaced it with a buffet dinner :(. Other than that, we had a good time. Happy new year :party:

mouseketeer mom
01-01-2009, 01:54 PM
How neat just to be able to show up! No planning, preperation, ADR's..etc...just show up for the evening because your so close! What a dream!

fanohpooh
01-01-2009, 11:36 PM
We arrived at MK at 7 am, my DH, DD (11), and DS (7), and left at 12:30 am. The park remained open until 2 am. Rode many rides the first two hours, then relaxed amongst the crowd until our meal at Crystal Palace at 2:2O. Watched all of the parades and enjoyed the wishes fireworks as well as the New Year's fireworks which were set off behind the castle PLUS somewhere behind the train station. We were watching from the confectionary area and really enjoyed it all. Was hesitant to go due to many other reports of the crowds. I heard that MK closed at 11:30 am, but am not sure if that is accurate. It was Very crowded, but definitely an evening full of memories.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-02-2009, 01:29 AM
By 11 am, it was a Phase 4.

By 3 pm, it was back down to Phase 3.

By 10 pm, it was completely open.

momofarealprincessf
01-03-2009, 11:45 AM
We went to the Magic Kingdom by 7am. We got on very few rides but were able to get front row seats for both parades and were in front of the castle for both sets of fireworks. The crowds were crazy. very tough to move, But we expected that!
Happy new Year! :party:

Grumpy's Daughter
01-03-2009, 10:42 PM
We just got back tonight from a fun filled week in Disney, and we chose to spend New Years Eve in MK. We were afraid of the crowds (Studios and MK had seemed very crowded at various times throughout the week), so we were there at 7am for the opening. We managed to stay until after midnight- awesome fireworks! They did the Fantasy in the Sky fireworks, with a mirror image appearing behind the train station as well. Then they counted down the new year with number fireworks launched from around the park- I will assume it was on the train tracks, since they closed down the train at 7pm. My husband tried to video tape the presentation, but we were just surrounded by the fireworks! So glad that we made it!