PDA

View Full Version : What's the Grand Floridian like?

junedis
12-31-2008, 04:07 PM
My husband surprised me by choosing the Grand Floridian for our upcoming June vacation. The ongoing rate special and great airfare($79.00 pp) made it possible. I never expected to stay there due to the cost. I'm so excited! Does anyone have any feedback or pointers they would like to share? We'll be taking our two children and celebrating our 16th anniversary while there. Thanks and Happy New Year!:party:

TammiMcMan
12-31-2008, 04:29 PM
There's really no gray area with the GF, either people love it or they find it too stuffy. I'm very into the whole Victorian theme, so I'm definitely in the camp that loves staying here.

It's a resort setup, so they have a main building and outer lodges with guest rooms. The buildings aren't that far apart, but people will sometimes request a building that puts them in close proximity to the pool, beach and main building (for transportation). I don't know what view you have booked, but I've stayed in rooms that offer castle views, beach views and garden views. They were all lovely. The only room style that I would avoid are the dormer rooms on the top floor. They're a little smaller, but have high cathederal ceilings. The balconies are also smaller with a solid railing. This can make it difficult to see over if you're on the small side.

A few of our tricks include taking the monorail to the MK and then taking the resort boat back. When we go to Epcot, we take the monorail to the MK, hop on the BC/YC bus and enter through the back of Epcot (much quieter).

If you have a car, the self parking lot is located down the long driveway and across the street. It can be a hike.

My favorite restaurants are Gasparillas and the GF Cafe. Narcoossees and Citrico's are only open for dinner. Narcoossees offers a nice view of the Electric Water Parade and the fireworks, but it can be a bit loud. Victoria & Alberts is adults only and formal. Private dining (aka room service) is available and they'll bring your food to your room or anywhere else you want... think champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in a cabana lounger on the beach. You could also work with them to set up a very special anniversary dinner, for the same cost as you'd pay in a signature restaurant.

Wishes can be viewed from the marina or the boat dock. The electric water parade can be viewed from the boat dock or the beach.

The courtyard pool has a hot tub, childrens splash pool and it's open 24 hours. The theme pool has zero entrance from the beach, a slide and dancing waters. They also have a few cabanas that you can reserve for the 1/2 or full day. They're enclosed, come with a TV/DVD unit, stocked fridge, table & chairs, plus the padded lounge chairs.

Hope that gets you started :)

tnpoohbear
12-31-2008, 04:50 PM
We stayed there 2 years ago for my DD 16th birthday (her idea - she always wanted to stay there) and it was lovely!!! Expensive, but lovely! We were treated like royalty and DD received a red rose for her birthday and a plate of gourmet cookies, solid white chocolate Mickey Mouse, autographed picture of the mouse and a birthday card! She absolutely loved it so it was definitely worth it.

The rooms are comfy and beautiful and the lobby is gorgeous! We had a pool view (I could not afford the castle view but that is what I would have preferred). DD would love to stay there again, for me it was nice but not my choice to stay there again -I am more of the Poly type.

There were ducks swimming in the pool while we were there. Loved having the monorail so close.

Be sure to tell then you are celebrating your anniversary!

I am sure you will love it!:mickey:

RaRaRoundTheWorld
12-31-2008, 05:01 PM
You're traveling with kids? We have always done so and find that there are lots of fun things for them to do: the arcade, live music by the pool, character meals, the beach, the occasional carriage and weddings siting, the water pageant, the afternoon tea, the spa (my DD had her first mani/pedi there), the wonderland tea. Come to think of it, all of these are big pluses for us grown-ups as well (minus certain things for the DH & DS of course). As they get older, we might let them try the pirate cruise or a boat rental. We tried a split stay with the Poly last time, but it only cemented the feeling that the GF is only Disney resort for us!

junedis
12-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks so much for your input. I'll take note of all the details. It was so kind of you to take time to respond on New Year's Eve. Have a wonderful, healthy and prosperous 2009!

faline
12-31-2008, 05:41 PM
We stayed once, several years ago and greatly enjoyed our stay. It's a lovely resort! Enjoy!