PDA

View Full Version : Rides closing due to rain

bobpfef
12-31-2008, 09:51 AM
How do they handle this. If it rains to they still run the rides? How long after it stops raining does it take to reopen the rides. I am mainly concerned with the big rides like Everest or Kali River Rapids or Big Thunder.

Giggy
12-31-2008, 09:56 AM
As a general rule rides do stay open in the rain. If the rain turns into a very heavy thunder storm though they may have to close a lot of the rides for safety reasons. That's my understanding of the situation atleast.

The good news though is with Florida's crazy weather you can have a thunder storm start but then clear up not too long after.

WDWdriver
12-31-2008, 10:42 AM
... I am mainly concerned with the big rides like Everest or Kali River Rapids or Big Thunder.

These rides will continue to operate in most rain conditions. EE will stop operating if the rain becomes so heavy that the intensity of the rain combined with the speed of the ride becomes uncomfortable for the riders.

If there is lightning in the area, however, it is a different situation. The CMs will shut down these rides immediately if there are lightning strikes within six miles. The rides will remain shut down until the thunderstorm moves out of the area, usually 30 minutes or more. Thunderstorms are an almost daily occurance at WDW during the summer months, and ride shutdowns are common.

bobpfef
12-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the information. Lets hope that lightning stays away for our upcoming trip.

albino_pygmy
12-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Most of the outdoor attractions will remain open in the rain. There are a few very rare occasions when we (Jungle) had to close down due to extremely heavy rain, and I think it was due to the heavy winds that came with the rain, and the risk of higher water level in the river, but for the most part we are open during rainy conditions, whether people are in line or not. We will close down if there is lightning within a 5 mile radius of the property, any visable lightning is a good sign that we're going to get that magical call and get the official word to close down, but doesn't happen asap unfortunately. One thing I've dreaded was being the boat at the loading dock and you've seen lightning, and heard thunder, and they send you out on the river but you were waiting for that call, scary stuff. I pretty much say no flash pictures please, I get jumpy when I see bright lights when it's raining and we're in the jungle. Metal boats and lightning, means instant fried pygmy, just add water, oh wait, it's already there!

The other rule is that if there are no visible strikes 15 minutes after the last lightning strike, then it's all clear to get ready to open back up.

mom2morgan
12-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Well, we go in December, so haven't seen a lot of rain - but I'll tell ya, we were there on the 11th and went on Big Thunder in the pouring rain. The ride went, and was the wettest experience I've ever had, bar none! Kinda funny actually.

KevMcNJ
12-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the information. Lets hope that lightning stays away for our upcoming trip.

WDW is the lightning rod capitol of the world

Next time you go, look at how many lightning rods are embedded on every roof and high point in the park

A friend pointed that out to me on our last visit

Polynesian Dweller
12-31-2008, 06:35 PM
Lightning is a big problem in Florida. Florida has the highest number of deaths due to lightning in the US and, (Strmchasr can confirm this) I believe I read that it has the most lightning strikes annually in the US.

I'm sure WDW has great plans to deal with it and have as little down time as it safely can.

Gregandmel
01-01-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm sure that lightening would play a pretty big role on rides. However, with rain, let me tell you - we went in October and went to the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. The clouds were ominous as we walked in at 7pm. We headed right to Big Thunder Moutain Railroad and by the time the ride went "outside" it was POURING - I mean POURING down rain. There was absolutely NO WAY (even with our rain ponchos) to avoid getting SOAKED!! My kids LOVED riding it in the rain, and so we did it again! Other than getting smacked in the face with raindrops, it was actually pretty fun! (I packed extra socks in case ours got wet, but with the excitement of the party - FORGOT to bring them - so at some point in the evening, we made "paper towel" socks) ha ha. HAve fun! Don't let the rain spoil your fun.

Speedy1998
01-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Just an FYI, some rides that we do not consider outside rides Disney does. For example I have stood a few feet from the ride vehicle for ToT for 35 minutes because there was lighting in the area.

megustamex
01-01-2009, 10:56 AM
The funniest thing I saw in the rain at Disney was the people who had waited an hour for Dumbo going on the ride in a TORRENTIAL downpour. They were determined to get that ride in.

irish1967
01-02-2009, 09:34 AM
I believe that heavy rain may shut down Test Track.

Another aspect of the world that shuts down during a Thunderstorm is the boat transportation.

JPL
01-02-2009, 02:26 PM
I believe that heavy rain may shut down Test Track.

A slight Drizzle shuts down Test Track :rolleyes:

Lightning also shuts down the Monorails.

big blue and hairy
01-02-2009, 02:43 PM
A slight Drizzle shuts down Test Track :rolleyes:
Bitter party of one...paging bitter party of one...:D Just kidding.

DW and I rode Everest in pretty much a torrential downpour. We had ponchos on, so we didn't get too soaked. It was actually a fun experience. I wouldn't want to do it that way every time but...

:sulley:

Daisy'sMom
01-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Lightning is a big problem in Florida. Florida has the highest number of deaths due to lightning in the US and, (Strmchasr can confirm this) I believe I read that it has the most lightning strikes annually in the US.

I'm sure WDW has great plans to deal with it and have as little down time as it safely can.

From what I understand, Florida is the lighting capital in the world. :mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-02-2009, 09:30 PM
You're right! Florida is the lightening capital of the world.

However.....TOT is a giant metal box. You're sitting in a metal box, surrounded by a metal cage, with metal seatbelts, inside of a giant metal column, with a giant metal cable attached. Lightening also doesn't strike straight down either.

Have you ever seen or heard it get struck by lightening? Or have you ever heard any metal get struck? Yeah.....you can hear if it hits TOT from Epcot. I wouldn't want to be on the ride during a strike.

big blue and hairy
01-03-2009, 10:42 AM
You're right! Florida is the lightening capital of the world.

However.....TOT is a giant metal box. You're sitting in a metal box, surrounded by a metal cage, with metal seatbelts, inside of a giant metal column, with a giant metal cable attached. Lightening also doesn't strike straight down either. :scared:

Having personally witnessed horizontal lightning, I'm with you there.

Have you ever seen or heard it get struck by lightening? Or have you ever heard any metal get struck? Yeah.....you can hear if it hits TOT from Epcot. I wouldn't want to be on the ride during a strike. Yeah, it would be interesting to see and hear lightning strike it, but not from the inside!:faint:

:sulley: