PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Storm anyone?

Tinkermom
12-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Does anyone have the Blackberry Storm? I am trying to decide between this and the iPhone. I have been reading a lot of reviews online and I stopped by my Verizon store today to see the Storm in person. I really liked the clickable touchscreen and found it easy to use. In the reviews I have read this was an issue with lots of folks. I also read of some "bugs" and "quirkiness: but no specifics. I also read that the Storm does not have Wi-Fi capabilites but the iPhone does. Will this be a big difference? Any and all reviews appreciated!

stitchaholic
12-30-2008, 09:31 PM
i have the blackberry pearl and i can tell you that without wi-fi it is a real pain to browse.if i was with a carrier that had the i phone,that would definitly be my choice,a friend of mine has the i phone and it is definitly easy and carefree,an amazing little phone.

mdhiggin
12-31-2008, 01:11 PM
I have the Storm. I love it because my husband bought it for me for Christmas. It's way beyond my phoning skills. I usually get the free phone with the two year contract, but now I am the envy of all my teenage nieces. I don't know about the wifi thing, but it's very shiny. It does a lot of things, though. The camera on it is better than my digital camera. It has a video camera, plays music, plays videos. My DH downloaded some short cartoons onto it for our four year old when she needs something to keep her quiet. It also had a preview of Babylon A.D. on it. The video quality is awesome! It goes on the internet and I'm sure a lot of other stuff I don't even know about. We live in a rural area, so iphone wouldn't work for us anyway. It could be just as great, but I don't know.

Tinkermom
01-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, I ended up getting the Samsung Omnia. Basically the Omnia is everything that I thought the Storm was. I went back to try the Storm again and put it through a few paces like going online and checking e-mail, etc. It was incredibly slow to load pages and I kept having problems with the clickable touch screen. The storm also does not have Wi-Fi cababilities. My husband was with me and he told me I would end up throwing this phone out the window due to the frustration I was having, LOL! I wanted so badly to love this phone.

I almost gave up but then the Omnia caught my eye. The loading of pages was incredibly fast AND it also has Wi-Fi. However, the loading of pages was/is fast even without Wi-Fi enabled. Webpages are in HTML. The touchscreen is a breeze to use AND it comes with a stylus just in case you are having trouble with some of the smaller options on the screen. I can play movies, music (mp3), even FM radio. It even has a 5 Megapixel camera with a flash as well as video. I can e-mail photos and video right from the phone. I have synched it with my Outlook e-mail at work as well as my home e-mail. This phone has memory cards that you can load from your computer with photos, movies, etc and put on your phone. You can add memory by getting more memory cards, This phone is everything I was looking for and more!

Just thought I would give my thoughts since I saw there were quite a few hits on this thread. For those of you looking at the Storm defintely go to a Verizon store and try it out before you buy!! I am sure this phone is great for some but was not for me.

DisneyDog
01-02-2009, 04:05 PM
I love my iphone. The browser display is amazing. The wifi is very helpful at times. My co-worker has the Storm, just got it for Christmas. I tried to push the "buttons" because I wanted to see what it felt like. Didn't impress me at all. DH has a co-worker who got the Storm and returned it after a few days because of major battery problems. The battery life isn't going to be good for either of them. The iphone is the one that came first. Why buy the copy when you can get the original :)

Tinkermom
01-02-2009, 05:09 PM
I love my iphone. The browser display is amazing. The wifi is very helpful at times. My co-worker has the Storm, just got it for Christmas. I tried to push the "buttons" because I wanted to see what it felt like. Didn't impress me at all. DH has a co-worker who got the Storm and returned it after a few days because of major battery problems. The battery life isn't going to be good for either of them. The iphone is the one that came first. Why buy the copy when you can get the original :)

There were a couple of reasons that I did not get the iPhone. One was that I am currently a Verizon customer and would need to wait until my contract was up in June to switch to AT&T and I was really needing a new phone now (ok, really I am impatient, LOL). I also have had really good coverage with Verizon and was hesitant to change carriers.

The other main reason was that I live in a PC world and I really needed a phone that would integrate well with my work e-mail and was concerned about having an Apple product. That may have been unsubstatiated though. I am still thrilled with my Omnia though.:thumbsup: