PDA

View Full Version : Point Charts - do they change??

KappaRho
12-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Hello. My wife and I are thinking about buying into the BWV. We have found a resale that suits our needs (50 points). :joy:

My question is regarding the point charts. Do they per-night points ever change? I thought i remember reading that when you bought into the DVC you were locked into the point chart for that particular year. However, when I talked to the real estate person, she said that they can change and that we would be subject to the point chart for the current year.

I ask because we are buying a relatively low number of points because it will work for us based on the current point chart. However, if the points per night go up, we might need to buy additional points.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Guapo
12-30-2008, 01:43 PM
The points per night are not supposed to change.

However, as you know, there are different "seasons" or categories throughout the year, some which cost more (Magic) than others (Adventure).

While the number of points for a night or a week in an Adventure season will not change, the dates that determine the periods that the Adventure rate will apply might change from year to year.

FiggyFan
12-30-2008, 01:50 PM
So far, all I have seen is seasonal movement based on when certain holidays (such as Easter and Thanksgiving) fall on the calendar.

Don't worry about the value of your points decreasing over time. The contract protects DVC members by preventing this. The points needed to reserve a particular class of room at a particular resort for an entire year can never increase. In other words, if the point charge for one time of year increases, it must decrease in another time of year to compensate. Disney may do this if seasonal demand patterns change, but I haven't seen it since we joined in 2000.

VWL Mom
12-30-2008, 01:50 PM
While the number of points for a night or a week in an Adventure season will not change, the dates that determine the periods that the Adventure rate will apply might change from year to year.

This is my understanding also. I'll always get a 2bdrm at VWL for a week with the points I have but the dates may change.

DVC Mike
12-30-2008, 03:16 PM
I thought i remember reading that when you bought into the DVC you were locked into the point chart for that particular year. However, when I talked to the real estate person, she said that they can change and that we would be subject to the point chart for the current year.

You are not locked into the point chart that is in place when you buy. The chart is subject to change; However, the total number of points on the chart can never change; that is, all the points required to reserve every room for every day of the year will never change.

DVC is allowed to reallocate the points across the chart. They could increase the number for one season, but they'd have to reduce it for another, in order to maintain the total number of points. DVC has only done this once since it started.

What typically does happen is that the dates for the various seasons shift slightly to account for variations of when certain holidays occur.

Thus, in practice, the points chart is effectively the same year after year.

dlpmikki
12-31-2008, 04:12 AM
I do remember one year had a reallocation of points changing the nightly costs in a couple of seasons. It was very minor. They wrote in the ability to change the mix of points but in practice they don't use it. It is only the prime holiday dates that change with when the actual holidays are each year.

ThanxForNoticin
12-31-2008, 11:46 AM
I do remember one year had a reallocation of points changing the nightly costs in a couple of seasons. It was very minor. They wrote in the ability to change the mix of points but in practice they don't use it. It is only the prime holiday dates that change with when the actual holidays are each year.

We are long-time DVC members, and I think dlpmikki is exactly right. Disney has the right to make changes to the points, but if any changes are made, they are very minor.

I also think most point changes are tweaks DVC makes based on supply and demand of the rooms at different times of the year. If you are buying at BW, that's an older and established location. I think the points there are less likely to change there than perhaps the newer units like AKL and BLT.