View Full Version : Short trip Dining review

Hammer
12-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Dining Report December 21-22

Cast: Christine (Hammer)- Dining moderator
Cheryl- my sister
Mom- self-explanatory
Dad- also self-explanatory

I am a DVC member, so I was able to add on the Deluxe Dining Plan for our one night stay in a 2 bedroom in the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. This was a treat to my parents for their 41st wedding anniversary (12/17). Just a note- we like to try each others’ food, so we all had a taste of everyone’s entrée.

Dinner Sunday 12/21
Narcoossee’s

Me- Crispy Duck Roll, Surf and Turf, Almond-crusted Cheesecake (hold the cherry sauce), glass of Conundrum wine
I loved every aspect of this meal. The duck roll had lots of duck and just enough of the soy-chili glaze to enhance the flavor of the duck without overpowering it. The lobster tail was large and the meat was sweet and tender to the point where I ate a large portion of it without melted butter. The filet was cooked to perfection (medium rare) and the choron sauce was a nice change from béarnaise. I asked for the cheesecake without the sauce (They put some of the vanilla bean whipped cream instead) and the cheesecake’s flavor was wonderful.

Cheryl- Prince Edward Island Mussels in a parsley-patis broth, Steamed Whole Maine Lobster, Warm Chocolate Almond Gateau, Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon (or possibly a Pinot Noir)

My sister has ordered the lobster and the gateau in the past and the quality was as exceptional as her past visits. The mussels were a new choice and she was very pleased with them. I had a taste and they were flavorful without any grit.

Mom- Narcoossee’s Seafood Bisque, Grilled Scallops with a butternut risotto, Almond-crusted Cheesecake (also without the cherry sauce), glass of Conundrum wine

We recommended the bisque to Mom and she loved it. Mom had 5-6 diver scallops on top of a wonderfully cooked risotto. Had a taste and the risotto blended perfectly with the scallops. Another thumbs up for the cheesecake.

Dad- Crab cakes, Steamed Whole Maine Lobster, Almond-crusted Cheesecake (also without the cherry sauce), glass of Conundrum wine

Dad loved all his choices, though I think he wished he had ordered my duck appetizer after he had his taste ;) .

Cheryl, Mom and Dad had the signature coffee, which everyone said was great, and I had Earl Grey tea which was good as well.

Breakfast- Monday 12/22
Boma

My father likes to have made to order omelets and buffets, but wants to avoid character meals if possible, so I thought Boma would work. I think as a family we sampled just about everything on the buffet, with the exception of the porridge and the pancakes and the only complaint we had was we really didn’t like the sausage. We loved everything else at the breakfast buffet.

Deluxe Dining Plan cost for 4 (1 night)- $279.96
Total cost of our meals- 418.50

So, as you can see, the dining Plan was a value for us this time, even without the tip included.

Natazu
12-30-2008, 03:57 AM
Great times! Sounds like a great dinner. We took my mom to Narcoossee's on the 11th. She loved it too, and Alex loved the fireworks.

SBETigg
12-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing.

ElenitaB
12-30-2008, 08:14 AM
This is a good week for dining reviews! :thumbsup:

I think we may just have to add the DxDP on a future trip, if only to visit Narcoossee's for once and for all. Sounds like an incredible meal! Thanks for sharing, Christine, and a belated happy anniversary to your folks!

Mickey'sGirl
12-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Fabulous Christine, what a great anniversary dinner! Trying the DDP on a short stay is a great idea, and would make it an affordable option for us. Thanks for sharing! :mickey:

pdrlkr
12-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the Reviews! :eat:

MinnieMommie
12-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Sounds like an awesome treat for your parents 41st anniversary celebration. Congratulations to them and thanks for the review! :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
12-31-2008, 08:20 AM
Sounds like it was a great value for you guys!! We wouldn't do the Deluxe DP again. We found it to be way too much food with constant eating. I enjoyed your reviews. Thanks!:mickey:

Hammer
01-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. I tend to think that the Deluxe Dining Plan will work for short trips (less than 3 nights). It would prevent from getting "food fatigue" from too many sit down meals. Though you could use the a credit for a counter service meal; it is not as good of a value.

Natazu
01-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Cast: Christine (Hammer)- Dining moderator
Cheryl- my sister
Mom- self-explanatory
Dad- also self-explanatory

Hey I just noticed. You're right, there's certainly nothing self-explanatory about Cheryl.
;)