PDA

View Full Version : Marley & Me

DisneyDog
12-29-2008, 07:44 PM
I saw this movie today. I read the book and thought I was prepared, but I cried like a baby. I have lost two dogs in the past few years, and it was difficult for me. It was a good movie, though. Stayed pretty close to the book, too.

One thing, though. There were a lot of little kids at the theater, and I don't think it's appropriate for little ones. Maybe a 10 year old. But I saw toddlers there.

SBETigg
12-29-2008, 09:11 PM
I can imagine this was a little hard for you. I want to see the movie, but haven't been yet. I'm glad it was a good one.

Bohms4
12-29-2008, 09:36 PM
I went to see this movie today with my 7 year old and 4 1/2 year old. I agree. The reason why I took them is b/c we have a yellow lab puppy and they have been bugging me to see it since we saw the preview 2 months ago. It was rated PG but I kind of think that it should have been PG13. They had a lot of questions about the miscarriage, death, sexual innuendos, etc. I thought it was a good movie but I didn't read the book so I didn't know what to expect. My 4 1/2 year old wanted to know why the woman took all of her clothes off to go swimming..... :secret:

RedSoxFan
12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
I plan on taking DD12 to see the movie next week after she gets out of school. I know the dog dies; but she doesn't know. I will make sure to bring plenty of tissues.

IamBelle
12-30-2008, 08:39 AM
We were already to go see this movie when my aunt told us not to go because it wasn't the happy X-mas movie that we thought it would be. She told us the end, and I'm glad we didn't go. (We lost our 5 yr old samoyed last year, and I don't think I could have watched that movie.) So, instead, we went to go see Bedtime Stories, much better and a lot more funny!

DisneyDog
12-30-2008, 08:49 PM
I do think the ads have been misleading. They only show the happy funny parts.

conorsmom2000
12-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Both Mike and I read the book and laughed out loud at most of it, and cried like babies at the end. So, when the previews started, Conor, who is a HUGE dog lover (and we have a black lab) started begging us to see it. We tentatively made plans to see it New Year's Eve, but we did sat down with him and discussed the ending, because I wanted him to be prepared. He has since read the young adult version of the Marley & Me book. But, after reading the reviews, I changed my mind about letting him see it - he's only 8 and many, many reviews said this should have been PG-13 - plus, after reading how the ending was done, I just think it would be way too emotional for him. So, I think our NYE movie will be Bedtime Stories - though, I haven't honestly read any reviews about that one yet!! :blush:

Melanie
12-30-2008, 09:45 PM
I do think the ads have been misleading. They only show the happy funny parts.

Definitely misleading. Knowing nothing about the book or story, I totally thought this was a happy, fun movie after seeing the previews. I wouldn't have known had I not read what you all have said here.

PirateLover
12-30-2008, 10:43 PM
The commercials are misleading, but I'm not sure how exactly they could get across in 30 seconds the essence of the story. They always show the funny clips. The Bucket List also did this... I thought it was a lighthearted buddy comedy. Half of the movie was very depressing and I was constantly choking back tears!!!!!!

Marley & Me is pretty much an autobiographical account of writer John Grogan's life. It just so happens that a lot of his life revolved around dealing with his crazy dog. Since dogs don't live forever, it is inevitable that the dog will die. It completes the story of their relationship. But of course it is still very sad.

badkitty
12-31-2008, 01:08 AM
I read the book and sobbed. I was sobbing at the previews of that adorable puppy running on the beach knowing how it turns out. As I sit here holding my beloved Chihuahua, there is no way I will be able to see this movie.

Mickey'sGirl
12-31-2008, 08:36 AM
There are junior novels of Marley and Me for those with children. My boys have been reading them, and they had to witness me as a sobbing mass on the couch whilst I read the original last year...they know what happens in the story, but I don't think I will take them to see it. Perhaps on DVD in the future.....

thrillme
12-31-2008, 12:29 PM
I'd love to see it for the happy parts but...I haven't read the book except for the end at the airport one time and I know basically what happens. Don't know HOW it happens but ... It doesn't matter.

I watched Old Yeller ONCE in my life and I will NEVER watch it again. A girlfriend of mine a few years ago mentioned Classic Disney movies for her daughter's birthday. She said "they really liked Old Yeller". Nope!!!:shake::nope::noway: I picked up the movie put it back called her and told her to pick another. She said the girls loved the movie (my son has never seen it)...I figured...there was NO WAY I'd make it through this movie No way I'd buy it either.

SHUCKS...I can't even make it through the blasted kodak commercial at HISTA. When that little boy crys for Champ...so do I.

TiggeRia
12-31-2008, 05:55 PM
SHUCKS...I can't even make it through the blasted kodak commercial at HISTA. When that little boy crys for Champ...so do I.

:ditto: :cry: I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

ChipnDaleGal
01-01-2009, 11:31 AM
My daughter and I saw this last week. We both were sobbing out loud at the end. It was such a good movie. Very sweet, very funny, and very emotional. Anyone that loves the animals in their life will tap into the pain we feel when we lose them. I was so not a fan of Owen Wilson, but I think he was fabulous in this role. I am looking at him with new eyes now.

MNNHFLTX
01-01-2009, 03:49 PM
I think the producers of this movie were probably banking on the fact that most people who see the movie have already read the book or have heard about it and know about the ending. Based on the reviews, though, I do agree that it should have been rated PG-13. And for those who are bringing children along, it might be wise to share the ending with them ahead of time. I know that seems anticlimatic, but I think in this case that kids need to be prepared for the ending.

I will wait to see Marley and Me when it comes out on DVD. Having read the book (loved it), I prefer to cry in the privacy of my living room than in a crowded movie theater. And I know I will be bawling like a baby.

goofy89
01-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I really loved this movie! The ads definitely are misleading, but I was already prepared for it since I read (and loved) the book. Having known the ending I thought I was prepared enough, but I still ended up completely sobbing at the end. If you have a dog you should definitely see this movie! :sob:

PirateLover
01-01-2009, 08:18 PM
My previous comment was based solely on having read the book. We saw the movie today. I think it was very well done. To everyone saying that you won't be able to see it, at least plan on watching the DVD. It is a great movie for anyone who has a pet who is as much a part of your family as your loved ones. The ending was definitely hard to watch. I choked back the tears but many in the theater could not hold back. There were a lot of kids in my showing. I think it should've been PG-13 as much for the language (nothing too foul, but definitely a few words parents don't want kids saying) and adult themes (sexual innuendos, trying to have a baby) as for the ending. It got me a little peeved when I was looking at the paper today and saw the advertisement for the film. The headline read "Best Family Holiday Comedy of '08!"

DisneyTiff
01-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I just got back from seeing this movie. I have not read the book, but I had talked to someone that had, who told me that the dog died. Even though I knew this, I still cried at the end.

I think the movie was well done. I laughed more than I cried.

When I got home, I had to find my kitties, and give them a pet and tell them how much I loved them.

Melanie
01-02-2009, 04:28 AM
I cried. And for some that know me, that may surprise you. I'm not a dog person (and to be honest, I don't think I could have handled the destruction Marley created), but the story touched me. Very good.

I took my 10 year old and his 11 year old friend, and I felt some of the stuff was a little suggestive even for their age. There was a lot of chuckling coming from them. :unsure:

And I want that house in PA. Beautiful!

goingbacktodisney
01-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Glad I read your reviews. I was thinking of taking my 7 year old daughter, as she has been begging to see it...but seeing that she gets a little emotional at times, like when the wooly worm died in her jar after 4 weeks of captivity, I think we will look at another movie. Thanks to all for the heads up!

NotaGeek
01-09-2009, 03:22 AM
WOW. This movie was amazing ... the bf and I totally loved it, it was funny and so completely sad and heart warming! I was shocked that I liked it SO much! AND ... yeah, I cried like a baby, Ben said he had to focus on other stuff because he felt like he was gonna start bawling. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Carol
01-09-2009, 07:38 AM
I enjoyed the film - but felt it was no where as good as the book. Although that is usually the case.

Wasn't the real John Grogan an extra in the doggy class scene? It certainly looked like him. :look:

mouseketeer mom
01-09-2009, 09:03 AM
I do not know how this movie got a PG rating. It was suggestive, and had adult themes running thru the movie. My girls were embarrassed, my son didn't understand about the miscarriage, the relations while the Saint Statues were watching..this should've been PG 13 for sure.

TheDuckRocks
01-09-2009, 10:42 AM
I really enjoyed the movie, but I loved the book. Since I just recently finished it, I don't understand why some of the things were changed. They were very minor but annoying. Loved "seeing" Eric Dane in it, but if that character was in the book he totally didn't impact the story line like in the movie.
I do think that a PG 13 rating would have been a better guideline for parents. And for parents that knowingly took thier childern to see the movie without telling them that Marley dies is beyond me. I saw a lady with a sobbing 6 year old girl in the restroom after the movie asking her mom why she hadn't told her that the dog died as mom had read the book. The mom just told the poor little thing, "I knew if I told you, you would have wanted to stay home with grandma." BTW, I was in the restroom getting rid of my raccoon eyes.:sob:

Bethanymouse
01-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I read the book when it first came out, approximately 6 months after we had to put our yellow lab dog down. The book was one of my favorites, it was funny, yet emotional. I cried like a baby after I finished. I still to this day site it as one of my favorite reads. I have been eagerly awaiting the release of Marley and Me since I read about it being made.

My DF took me to see this movie last week. I knew how it ends but I still cried like a baby. Really....I am not kidding.....I actually sobbed. I was so embarassed in the theater that i tried to drink water to calm myself down and i ended up choking. It was pretty bad.

Overall, the movie was good. Not nearly as good as the book. Owen and Jennifer were a great team, and I loved the way the family was potrayed. There were some changes that were very hollywood, but overall I would recommend it to another marley and me fan. However......this is a no go for kids under the age of 10 in my opinion. We had many children in the theater with us, too many that were too young. I think it is way to fast, and upsetting for a young child. But, for anyone else, I recommend it!

Stitchahula
01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
I know I can't see this movie. I read the book when my vet told me I needed to because I have the black female marley. She completely forgot to warn me about the ending though. We had just had to send another one of our girls to the bridge just a couple of months before. I sat there with tears streaming down my face feeling like someone kicked me in the chest. So no I won't be watching the movie not unless I can shut it off before the ending.

kakn7294
01-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Wow, my girls had been bugging me to go see this movie when the previews were everywhere. I'm glad we never made it. First, it sounds like it would have been inappropriate for the 9 yr and second, having not read the book, I had no clue about the dog dying and I would have been an emotional mess. I HATE movies that make me cry - well, that make me cry alot because I cry at almost all Disney movies at some point or another.

moodringer10
02-04-2009, 01:46 PM
i cried when i saw marley and me too..everyone said i would

DisneyDog
02-05-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm currently reading Dewey, and I'm getting teary-eyed as I go through the book. I just can't handle this kind of stuff. I watched My Dog Skip once, and I can't ever, ever watch it again. I kept hugging my dogs afterwards and I think they thought I was nuts!

MNNHFLTX
02-05-2009, 01:07 PM
I watched My Dog Skip once, and I can't ever, ever watch it again.I know what you mean. I cry like a baby when I watch My Dog Skip--all those movies do it me. Yet it makes me think of what special friends our pets are to us too.