PDA

View Full Version : Dining Reviews - Short and Sweet

Diz-Knee
12-29-2008, 11:31 AM
I just got back from a short trip over Christmas and wanted to share our dining experience – though brief! I am including counter service as we tried a couple of new ones and included price if I could remember.

• Yak & Yeti Local Food Café/Animal Kingdom - This is the counter service location next to the Yak & Yeti. We thought this was excellent! We will definitely go back here regularly. We split the crispy honey chicken and the eggrolls. Crispy Honey Chicken came with rice and veggies and was $8.99;
• La Cantina De San Angel/Epcot: Mexico Counter Service - Good as always – we hit this each trip. Nachos and Dos Equis!
• Lotus Blossom Café/Epcot: Counter Service China – first time I’ve been here after all these years. Just grabbed the dumplings for a treat and they were yummy!
• Trails End To Go/Fort Wilderness: Walk up counter service – ordered Fried Chicken Dinner, $9.99 – for the money and it being Disney, this was a good bang for your buck! Got two large chicken breasts, a side of cole slaw, a big serving of home fries and a biscuit. This was enough for me to split with my MIL. Just thought the value was worth mentioning.
• Artist Point/Wilderness Lodge: Our waiter Steven was the best we’ve ever had and I would return just because of him and request him. He really went out of his way to educate us on the menu, brought us a small sample of the mushroom soup which we didn’t even ask for. The soup was amazing!!! DH ordered the Buffalo steak which was much like a pot roast and it was very good. I had the cedar plank Salmon and could have eaten every bite but I wanted to save room for dessert. For dessert I ordered the Cobbler. It was tasty, but not my favorite. Not because it wasn’t any good, but just wasn’t my personal taste. They explained that it isn’t traditional cobbler but I wanted to try it anyway. I would describe it like a blueberry muffin-like pastry with fresh berries and sorbet. We had food left-over and Steven boxed it up for us and included a mickey-mouse shaped straw for us to take back to our son who was with grandma and grandpa for the night. Dinner was $113 with 2 entrees, 3 cocktails, and 1 dessert.
• Whispering Canyon Café/Wilderness Lodge: Our waitress was MT and she did a great job. We saw folks ask for ketchup and watched it get run across the dining room several times.  DS was in the restroom when they did the horse ride around the restaurant. We all had standard eggs, bacon and the food was good. Good experience, worth the try but didn’t stand out as spectacular. Total about $57 – 4 adults and 1 child
• TRex Café/Downtown Disney: This was my 3 year old son’s trip favorite and he barely ate anything. It is all about atmosphere and was quite fun. We sat in the ice cave. Our waiter was Dennis and he did an excellent job. We went on Saturday at around 2pm and waited for about 5 minutes before we were seated. Food came out quick. Three of us had the Bronto Burger. It was good, but I’ve had better. I will try something different next time. (DS kept laughing and talking about mommy ordering the Bronto Burger for weeks before we got there so I felt obligated to get it!) The quality of the chips and waffle fries were good – both seemed to be fresh and homemade. Good size burger too. You have to ask for mayo, mustard, ketchup as they don’t come on the burger. I could only eat half, but I’m not a big eater. DH had the Mess O’ Bones aka ribs and I tasted them and they were very good and tender. Next time I would like to try the rotisserie chicken. This will be a regular stop for us for future visits due to my sons love of dinosaurs. Total cost $100 – 3 burgers, 1 mess o’ bones, 1 coffee, 1 coke, 3 beers (1 bottled 2 draft), 1 kids meal

That was about it – we stayed in a cabin at Fort Wilderness so we had most breakfast and a couple of dinners at the cabin and it was also a short and somewhat last minute trip for us. We’ll be back in May and have a laundry list of places we want to make reservations at so I’ll share a bigger and better update in a few months! Thanks for letting me share if you made it this far reading my post!

VWL Mom
12-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the reviews. Isn't the Cedar Plank Salmon great? Definitely our family fav.

the other micki
12-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Sounds like you had some great dining experiences! Thanks for sharing the report!

Crow
12-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks
I love AP and am debating whether to take the nephews there in April

mrsgaribaldi
12-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing:mickey:

ElenitaB
12-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Not a bad meal in the bunch! :thumbsup: Thanks so much for sharing. I think that we just may have to take the ferry over to FW the next time we're at VWL to check out that fried chicken dinner (we loved the chicken at HDD).

Thanks for sharing!

mouseketeer mom
12-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Loved the reviews! We are trying Artist Point for the first time in March, so happy to hear you loved it.

WDWFanatic
12-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks for including the reviews of the counter service places. I think we'll have to try Yak and Yeti on your review!

pdrlkr
12-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the Reviews! :smickey:

MinnieMommie
12-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the reviews and for all the tips. I love dumplings and plan to try the ones at Lotus Blossom when I visit in January. :mickey:

Bethanymouse
12-31-2008, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the reviews! We are hoping to try Artist Point on our honeymoon so I am glad to see you enjoyed it!