PDA

View Full Version : Keys to the Kingdom tour

rkwctw
12-28-2008, 04:19 PM
We will be in WDW in June and would like to do the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. The problem is that our youngest daughter will only be 15 and 3/4 years old. Will they make exceptions or not and how close do they check ID's?

faline
12-28-2008, 04:23 PM
My understanding is that Disney does not make exceptions to age limits for tours.

Iluvpooh
12-28-2008, 06:15 PM
I know they would not allow my 14 year old brother to do the tour last year and my Mom begged them to let him come.

spoiledraf
12-28-2008, 07:28 PM
If you haven't already made your resevations, just show the kid as being 16 when you do. They don't have the CIA checking birth certificates.... yet. :thedolls:

LynneM
12-28-2008, 07:48 PM
If you haven't already made your resevations, just show the kid as being 16 when you do. They don't have the CIA checking birth certificates.... yet. :thedolls:

True, but they do have cast members checking ID. And they are very, very strict. Their insurance prohibits children under 16 from being in backstage areas, and they're not gonna make an exception.

Disney Lynn
12-29-2008, 07:22 AM

Although it's been a few years since we did this, we were told when we booked the tour that we needed to bring prooof of age for our 16 year old daughter. The proof (in her case, her learner's permit) was checked before the tour started.

Look at this situation as a fine excuse to return to WDW next year!

joanna71985
12-29-2008, 07:33 AM
They do check IDs for the tours. I took KttK a couple of years ago with my dad. There was a family in front of us checking in that had 2 girls, and one of them was a few months shy of 16. She was not allowed to take the tour.

Magic Smiles
01-01-2009, 08:59 PM
We too had to wait, as we went in Dec 07 when DS was 15 & 5/6th. We were told that we would have to show DS's passport. However when I did book and picked up the tickets I do not remember the CM asking for any ID. He was by then 16 so all would have been fine.

mom2morgan
01-02-2009, 02:44 PM
True, but they do have cast members checking ID. And they are very, very strict. Their insurance prohibits children under 16 from being in backstage areas, and they're not gonna make an exception.
What kind of ID does a kid that age have? I'm just curious, because if someone had asked to see ID for either of my kids, I don't have anything....I sure as heck don't plan to carry something hard to replace like birth certificates around on vacation! And if you live in the USA, you wouldn't have a passport either. I'd never suggest cheating (and I see the reasoning for insurace purposes). But the reason this occurs to me is because my older daughter did a program at Seaworld that she had to be 16 for, and she did it ON her 16th birthday, but no-one asked to see ID. They just asked me how old she was!

joanna71985
01-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Usually a 16 year old will have a provisional or driver's liscense. If they don't, there is always a passport or a birth certificate.

Magic Smiles
01-02-2009, 03:12 PM
And if you live in the USA, you wouldn't have a passport either.

Don't Americans get passports? You may not need a passport to travel to WDW, but do you not need one to travel to many other countries? This is becoming the most accepted form of ID.

fatboy
01-02-2009, 07:09 PM
What kind of ID does a kid that age have? I'm just curious, because if someone had asked to see ID for either of my kids, I don't have anything....I sure as heck don't plan to carry something hard to replace like birth certificates around on vacation! And if you live in the USA, you wouldn't have a passport either. I'd never suggest cheating (and I see the reasoning for insurace purposes). But the reason this occurs to me is because my older daughter did a program at Seaworld that she had to be 16 for, and she did it ON her 16th birthday, but no-one asked to see ID. They just asked me how old she was!

Learner's Permit, Driver's license, or even a non drivers ID, In my state kids have to get working papers to prove they are of legal age to work. Also dont you need ID to board a plane?

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-02-2009, 07:18 PM
I know that Disney makes absolutely no exceptions to the age restrictions because of insurance. And one of the tours we were thinking of doing a few years back, the travel agent said we'd need ID to prove age....for the kids a COPY of the Birth Cert. if no passport or other photo ID was acceptable. We chose not to take the tour as 2 of our 4 children would not have been old enough and there is enough other things to do.

Disney Lynn
01-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Don't Americans get passports? You may not need a passport to travel to WDW, but do you not need one to travel to many other countries? This is becoming the most accepted form of ID.

I think you'd be surprised at the number of US citizens who have never been out of the USA. (Maybe a quick trip to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls many years ago!) Few of my friends and neighbors have passports (and therefore the most "foreign" country they visit is World Showcase at EPCOT!). And I live in a fairly affluent (not rich LOL) area where people do take nice vacations- just to places in the USA. We're the "odd" family on street! (Love your country- lots of wonderful trips to our northern neighbor!)

And with the US dollar so low and the overall economic situation here (and elsewhere), I doubt the situation will change any time soon. And, then, there's the issue of how ethnocentric we are, but I'm getting far from the original topic of the thread! However, it is possible that a USA child would not have any official ID, other than a BC, until they're old enough to get their Learner's Permit (usually 15 or 16 depending on the state).

mom2morgan
01-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Learner's Permit, Driver's license, or even a non drivers ID, In my state kids have to get working papers to prove they are of legal age to work. Also dont you need ID to board a plane?

Well, I fly from Canada so we do have passports, so I've never thought of whether or not you'd have to have ID for a child IN country to get on a plane. But aside from passports, I don't have any other ID for my kids (no such tings as "working papers" here!) so if I was going on some sort of tour here in Canada I'm not sure what I'd be able to show for my 9 year old! Yes, I could get her birth certificate out of my safe deposit box, but it isn't something I routinely carry around with me.
To the other poster, about passports - I would be really surprised if "most" people had them. I'm 42 years old, and the first time I EVER travelled out of country was to come to WDW in 2006, so no one in my family EVER had a passport before that.

tomorrowschild
01-03-2009, 01:00 PM
We have done the Keys to the Kingdom Tour, the Dolphins In Depth and the Segway tour at EPCOT. I was asked to see my ID at all of the tours.
As far as ID goes. I am also Canadian and have a passport and 2 versions of a birith certificate for my DD. I would not fly or drive into the states without my daughters passport or birth certificate. I don't want to take any chances of being turned away. I even carry my birth certificate when going across the line. (I am over palnner):mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-03-2009, 04:03 PM
The problem is that the majority of Americans do not have passports. Until recently, we didn't need them to go into Canada or Mexico. They weren't needed on cruises. So why get one, when most of our vacationing is done in these areas. Now they are required for crossing into Canada or Mexico and on all cruises. 4 of my family of 6 have them. My youngest 2 children do not, but I could go to our local License office and get them picture IDs made if needed.