PDA

View Full Version : Any Knitters Out There?

teambricker04
12-28-2008, 04:04 PM
We leave on our next trip in less than two weeks! HOORAY! I am planning on taking some knitting, but haven't decided what... something small and easy that I can finish or maybe a sweater that is all stocking knit. I haven't decided.

Are you a knitter? What are you working on??

faline
12-28-2008, 04:25 PM
I generally don't take knitting with me on trips. I hadn't knit for years, then started again last year - mostly scarves and baby blankets. Things have been so hectic lately that I've gotten away from it again for the last several months.

ILoveLegos
12-28-2008, 05:43 PM
I too knit, it's relaxing and there's something to show for your hard work in the end - that's satisfying. If you are flying check with your carrier to see if knitting needles are allowed in your carry-on. I'd hate to see mine get pulled out of a project at security. The needles can travel in your checked bag though.

ElenitaB
12-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Another knitter here though the past year I've gotten away from it. My concern has also been about bringing the needles on the plane and them being taken away from TSA. Sure would is a good way to help the hours waiting at the airport and in flight tick away though! (I would knit when flying pre-9/11.)

faline
12-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Knitting needles are allowed in your check-in luggage - MAYBE. It seems to be at the whim of the security folks checking you in. See this information (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm) from the TSA.

teambricker04
12-28-2008, 09:49 PM
I have gotten through security many times with my needles with no problem. I generally take needles that I don't care so much about through and check my nice ones, just in case. You never know who is going to decide at what moment that you can't take them... that would be sad to loose a nice addi turbo circs!!!

I started knitting because I wanted a felted bag... I found some easy patterns and it was perfect for a first knit as once it was felted, you couldn't see any of the mistakes.

Now, I am really into making hats and wrist warmers... I just figured out a thumb gusset so maybe I will move to gloves! I have two little boys and would love to make them sweaters, but by the time I finish one the would probably have out grown it!!