PDA

View Full Version : Dining at Tusker House

Hull-onian
12-28-2008, 11:24 AM
When we go to Animal Kingdom, we usually go to the Rainforest Cafe at the entrance of the park. This time, we are thinking about going to Tusker House, even though it is a buffet. Did you like it? Was the seating the same? Did they have good desert choices? Thanks in advance.

EyeLuvDisney
12-28-2008, 04:22 PM
My family thought it was wonderful. It was our big surprise meal. It was a favorite when it was a counter service. Now it is one of our favorite table service.

The food offers a wide assortment of tastes that all will enjoy. I hope you enjoy it. Can't wait to go back.

Trey

DisneyFr33k
12-28-2008, 06:49 PM
My family thought it was wonderful. It was our big surprise meal. It was a favorite when it was a counter service. Now it is one of our favorite table service.

The food offers a wide assortment of tastes that all will enjoy. I hope you enjoy it. Can't wait to go back.

Trey

I second the motion. We LOVED Tusker House from the 2 minute wait to be seated, to our server (the best we had our entire trip) to the wonderful assortment of foods. It was a great counter service, and now an equally wonderful table. We'll be going back for sure our next trip!

DisneyGlutton
12-28-2008, 09:42 PM
If you are gonna go to buffet in the AK area, skip TH and go to Boma. GO TO BOMA! Sure TH is nicer than your neighborhood buffet, but its mediocre by Disney standards. As for the dessert, idk, I hate dessert.

Natazu
12-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Tusker House is basically "Boma Light". The only benefits of dining there instead of Boma are that it's in the park... and they have lunch. The food's pretty good for a buffet.

How about Yak and Yeti? great apps, killer ribs, steak, and shrimp.

big blue and hairy
12-29-2008, 07:21 AM
We much prefered Tusker House to Yak & Yeti. The food at Tusker House is quite good and the atmosphere is very nice. IMHO it is the best TS in AK.

:sulley:

DisneyFr33k
12-29-2008, 07:26 AM
If you are gonna go to buffet in the AK area, skip TH and go to Boma. GO TO BOMA! Sure TH is nicer than your neighborhood buffet, but its mediocre by Disney standards.

We've been to both Boma and TH. Although Boma does have more to offer, the food quality was the same for us. Boma is larger and a bit more rich in atmopshere, but for us it was nice to enjoy the same foods without leaving the parks.

DisneyGlutton
12-30-2008, 05:33 AM
We've been to both Boma and TH. Although Boma does have more to offer, the food quality was the same for us. Boma is larger and a bit more rich in atmopshere, but for us it was nice to enjoy the same foods without leaving the parks.

Well if you're going to a buffet, don't you want to go to the one with the bigger selection? Though I do agree that not taking the extra time to travel to Boma at AKL is a factor, as is whether you want lunch (which obviously you can't do at Boma). If you want lunch at AK in the park, go to Yak & Yeti...I made an ADR there because I didn't want to leave the park for lunch and was very impressed by the food. The pot stickers and the duck were very good! I mean, sometimes getting stuffed at a buffet is just not worth it...I for one do not like walking about, let alone going on rides, with an overstuffed tummy.

DisneyFr33k
12-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Well if you're going to a buffet, don't you want to go to the one with the bigger selection? Though I do agree that not taking the extra time to travel to Boma at AKL is a factor, as is whether you want lunch (which obviously you can't do at Boma). If you want lunch at AK in the park, go to Yak & Yeti...I made an ADR there because I didn't want to leave the park for lunch and was very impressed by the food. The pot stickers and the duck were very good! I mean, sometimes getting stuffed at a buffet is just not worth it...I for one do not like walking about, let alone going on rides, with an overstuffed tummy.

What we do is lunch at a counter service (Flame Tree is our favorite - love the chicken and ribs!) and take on all the rides until dinner. Then we hit the buffet before heading back to the resort. We could take either TH or Boma as far as the buffett. Not traveling to a resort to eat is a perk for us. Last visit it took us over an hour to get back to our resort from another in which we chose to dine. But, we all have our preferences and opinions. That's the beauty of this board! :mickey:

Simba's Mom
12-30-2008, 09:23 AM
I loved Tusker House lunch. once I got in. I had ADRs and had to wait about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, the walk-ups in front of me were told that they'd have to wait about 25 minutes. But the food was excellent.

squijee
12-31-2008, 11:25 AM
What is on the menu at Tusker House? What are the prices?:eat: We are going late Jan and would like to check it out.

Goes4FastPass
12-31-2008, 11:45 AM
I agree. TH is fine especially since they offer lunch - the best lunch at AK.
Boma does have more offerings and necessarily includes an alway plesant visit to the AK Lodge.
And before the Boma zombies start chanting "zebra domes" and pasting :cloud9:s let's all remember a zebra dome is basically a Reece's Penut Butter Cup with stripes...

DisneyFr33k
12-31-2008, 03:07 PM
What is on the menu at Tusker House? What are the prices?:eat: We are going late Jan and would like to check it out.

Here you go:

Tusker House
Animal Kingdom
Lunch/Dinner Buffet

Menu Date: November 2007

Adults: Lunch $19.99/Dinner $26.99
Children: Lunch $10.99/Dinner $12.99

Blatjang Chuntneys with South African Preserves, Sambals
Tabbouleh, Hummus and Baba Ghanoush
Endive, Apple and Walnut Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
Caesar Salad
Mixed Greens
Tomato and Cucumber Salad
Sliced Turkey, Ham and Cheeses
Tunisian Couscous Salad
Green Bean and Onion Salad
Curried Rice Salad
Fresh Fruit

Vegetarian Table:
Marrakesh Couscous with roasted vegetables
Vegetable samosas, spiced tandoori tofu
Jollaf Rice
Pearl Couscous with sweet basil essence

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches
Corn Dog Nuggets
Macaroni and Cheese
Corn Medley
Chicken Drumsticks
Green Beans
Mashed Potatoes

Salmon Filet
Root Vegetables and Cabbage
Seafood Stew - (really good!!)
Orzo Pasta - (really good!!)
Green Bean Medley
Rotisserie Chicken
Yukon Gold Potato Wedges
Mashed Potatoes
Carved Top Sirloin Roast and Pork Loin
Cape Malay Curry Chicken - (really good!!)
Basmati Rice with Toasted Almonds

Fruit Cobbler
Warm Banana-cinnamon bread pudding
Assorted Pastries

squijee
12-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the info....what are the lunch hours?

cer
12-31-2008, 04:29 PM
And before the Boma zombies start chanting "zebra domes" and pasting :cloud9:s let's all remember a zebra dome is basically a Reece's Penut Butter Cup with stripes...

OK - while I have never been to TH and only Boma and Yak & Yeti - enjoyed them both by the way....

This quote is just hilarious! My family did not "get it" either about the zebra dome deal - Dole Whips, I get. Zebra Domes - not so much...

DisneyFr33k
01-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the info....what are the lunch hours?

I belive most table services begin at 11:00. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Simba's Mom
01-01-2009, 09:36 AM
I belive most table services begin at 11:00. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Key work is "Most". I remember that the last time I ate a late breakfast at Tusker House, they were setting up to serve lunch starting at 11:30. That's the start time also for LTT and, I think, Coral Reef. Some of the World Showcase resturaunts don't start until 12:00. That's tough for those of us who grab an early, quick breakfast (toast or the like) and then are famished for an early lunch.

DisneyFr33k
01-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Key work is "Most". I remember that the last time I ate a late breakfast at Tusker House, they were setting up to serve lunch starting at 11:30. That's the start time also for LTT and, I think, Coral Reef. Some of the World Showcase resturaunts don't start until 12:00. That's tough for those of us who grab an early, quick breakfast (toast or the like) and then are famished for an early lunch.

Good point. It is true lunches start at different times depending on the restaurant and time of year. The more crowded time of year, the earlier they begin lunch. I would call the dining line to ask what time they will serve for the week or day you are considering. What I meant by my reply was the earliest lunch is usually served is 11:00. Has anyone eaten lunch before then?

Hull-onian
01-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Well, DH said, he'd like a Mickey Bar :bar: for lunch. Hmmph! That does not compute for a good meal, but a great tasty treat! Yak and Yeti sounds good too. Maybe we will do Yak and Yeti. We have about thirty days before making our ressies. Our first meal is Cape May Cafe and then fireworks from the Poly.:cloud9: We already have Chef Mickeys booked for breakfast. We are working on our trip.:thanks: to all. Happy New Year!!!

DisneyFr33k
01-02-2009, 07:17 AM
Our first meal is Cape May Cafe

We ate there last October. YUM!! Way better desserts than a Mickey bar! We loved it! It was just hard to get back to Pop from there. We learned many lessons! Have a wonderful trip! Happy New Year!!

big blue and hairy
01-02-2009, 10:04 AM
We ate there last October. YUM!! Way better desserts than a Mickey bar! We loved it! It was just hard to get back to Pop from there. We learned many lessons! Have a wonderful trip! Happy New Year!!
You must have taken a wrong turn, they're relatively close to each other. I've taken plenty of wrong turns in WDW. It seems that some things are marked really well, and others....not so much...

DisneyFr33k
01-02-2009, 04:59 PM
You must have taken a wrong turn, they're relatively close to each other. I've taken plenty of wrong turns in WDW. It seems that some things are marked really well, and others....not so much...

What happened is that we were taking the WDW transportation and made the mistake of not walking or taking the boat to Epcot. We saw the Downtown Disney bus pull up and took it instead. BIG MISTAKE! It took 45 minutes to get through all the other stops to DD and then to catch another bus. We had to go to another park or the TTC from there which meant more waiting. I guess the old saying goes - live and learn!