PDA

View Full Version : The wife wants to try Brown Derby

KevMcNJ
12-28-2008, 09:55 AM
is it worth it?

DumboMom
12-28-2008, 10:35 AM
YES!YES!YES!

It is a nice night out for adults. The drinks and food were wonderful. I live for the Cobb salad! My husband loved the crab cakes.
On our next trip in Feb. we are doing the fantasmic package with the Brown Derby. We have done this once before and its great to have a seat in the reserved area of the show.
I say go for it! :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
12-28-2008, 11:13 AM
We had a nice lunch here in August. The food was delish, the prices were high tho, don't know that this would be a first choice if we were not on the dining plan. We had some fun with the actors who walk around who interacted with our table.

KevMcNJ
12-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Oh let me add that yes it will be just the wife and I (both 40-something)

and we plan on using part of the Dining plan to eat there.

So CMs in character walk around while one eats?

busterthebronco
12-28-2008, 12:21 PM
its very good.
GET THE GRAPEFRUIT CAKE!
its odd at first but gets more and more yummy as you go.

mainemajor
12-28-2008, 03:06 PM
If you are on the dining plan then I feel it would be worth it for the two of you. My DW really wanted to go a few years ago, so of course we went. The food is great and she had the Cobb Salad and loved it.
If you have to pay out of pocket for it, I don't know if it is worth it because it is not cheap.

hardingella
12-28-2008, 03:54 PM
We have never missed brown Derby, and our kids loved it too, which suprised me as it was quite grown up. It was our wedding annerversary and I received a congratulations phone call at our table from Mickey himself(pre arranged by my DH).he also bought me a gift which was put on the table before we were seated.
The waiters look so smart in thier uniforms carrying the trays high over thier shoulders.I loved looking at all the drawings on the walls and trying to guess who they all were.
We too did the fantasmic package which just ended the perfect evening:cloud9:

Natazu
12-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Brown Derby (Signature Dining) ☺☺☺☺☻
Every bit as good as its California counterpart, the studios' Brown Derby is actually the least expensive of Disney's Signature Restaurants. Try the Cobb Salad or the BBQ Scallop and Pork Belly, two of the things that make this place unique. There’s not a bad entrée in the house and their unique version of Bananas Foster is to die for.

wdw_bound
12-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Not sure about CM's "in character" - we didn't notice that during our recent visit.

Brown Derby was, without a doubt, one of the very best meals I've ever had at Disney, I would highly recommend it. It was a great experience from start to finish. The food was wonderful, and the service was excellent. Our waiter was very helpful in creating a supper that our 3 yo would enjoy, and made excellent suggestions for DH's meal (he's very picky - we were able to substitute all kinds of things with NO problems).

It was very nice to have a grown-up meal after our DHS day.

Have a great trip!:mickey:

SBETigg
12-28-2008, 05:29 PM
I enjoy Brown Derby and I do think it's worth it, but I prefer other dining locations for two credits, like California Grill, Narcoossee's, or the Flying Fish Cafe. You might consider paying oop for the Brown Derby meal, but it still ranks as a fine experience with decent service and good food.

KatMark
12-28-2008, 07:15 PM
I am in the minority here. DH and I did not like it when we went for lunch six years ago. We thought the food was medicore at best, the service was terrible (and there were only five or six tables occupied). DH hated the grapefruit cake and he is a HUGE dessert lover. We usually give each place two tries in caes it was an off day but we've never gone back because we just don't think it is worth the two table service credits it requires when there are so many places at Disney that we do love to eat at.

DisneyGlutton
12-28-2008, 09:38 PM
I enjoy Brown Derby and I do think it's worth it, but I prefer other dining locations for two credits, like California Grill, Narcoossee's, or the Flying Fish Cafe. You might consider paying oop for the Brown Derby meal, but it still ranks as a fine experience with decent service and good food.

I completely agree. But still GO! And get the raviolo since I can't. The service we got there was the best of the trip, and the place was packed too. (There's no CM's, by which I assume you mean characters dressed up, walking around to my knowledge)

Mickey'sGirl
12-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Fabulous Fabulous Fabulous.

We all enjoyed it (our boys were 3 and 9 at the time). We went for lunch, and stayed for almost 2 hours. I had the Raviolo to start, Ahi Tuna Cobb for entree and the best WDW Creme Brulee for dessert. The boys had Grouper and DH had the steak.

Worth every cent. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

big blue and hairy
12-29-2008, 09:08 AM
is it worth it?
Weeeeeellll.....if the wife wants to, it probably better be worth it. ;)

:sulley:

SBETigg
12-29-2008, 10:24 AM
I completely agree. But still GO! And get the raviolo since I can't. The service we got there was the best of the trip, and the place was packed too. (There's no CM's, by which I assume you mean characters dressed up, walking around to my knowledge)

We did actually encounter some characters when we were there, not actual Disney characters but I think they may be the Streetmosphere cast that walk around DHS. We had a Douglas Fairbanks Jr type guy swanning to visit tables. It was very amusing. But I wouldn't count on the interaction. I think it's an occasional thing and not a scheduled occurence. If it happens, it adds to the fun.

Bethanymouse
12-31-2008, 02:07 AM
I have to agree with KatMark. As avid disney diners, we were not at all impressed with the Brown Derby 2 years ago. I got the famous cobb salad- it was gross.....and I love cobb salad. The dressing was terrible, the lettuce was wilted......just not my cup of tea and we will not return.

SBETigg
12-31-2008, 08:01 AM
I have to agree with KatMark. As avid disney diners, we were not at all impressed with the Brown Derby 2 years ago. I got the famous cobb salad- it was gross.....and I love cobb salad. The dressing was terrible, the lettuce was wilted......just not my cup of tea and we will not return.

The Cobb salad is definitely not what a lot of us have come to know as Cobb salad through other various presentations, but it is the original version of the dish. It's very finely chopped together and a different experience from what most might expect, but I liked it. The grapefruit cake, also a genuine Brown Derby original, was not for me. It's really intense on the grapefruit flavor. But again, I'm glad I tried it. These two experiences are unique to the Brown Derby. But they have a lot of other really good dishes on the menu, too.

DisneyGlutton
12-31-2008, 05:34 PM
The grapefruit cake, also a genuine Brown Derby original, was not for me. It's really intense on the grapefruit flavor. But again, I'm glad I tried it. These two experiences are unique to the Brown Derby. But they have a lot of other really good dishes on the menu, too.

I totally agree. Fussy eater that I am, life is too boring for me if I don't try new foods. As for the grapefruit cake, I didn't care for it at all; I said to myself "well, you don't like grapefruit but it'll be okay anyway" but it wasn't, lol...it was very grapefruity.

big blue and hairy
01-01-2009, 12:28 PM
As for the grapefruit cake, I didn't care for it at all; I said to myself "well, you don't like grapefruit but it'll be okay anyway" but it wasn't, lol...it was very grapefruity.:huh: :funny:

I like to try things, but not if the main ingredient is something I hate. No Dole Whips for me....pineapple is disgusting...

:sulley:

garymacd
01-01-2009, 08:01 PM
If the food isn't to your liking, try the after-dinner Cointreau flyte. Three different ages of Cointreau. I actually liked the oldest blend best.