PDA

View Full Version : Guest Assistance Card

GoofysGirl
12-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Our family (13 people) in all, went to WDW for Thanksgiving. My nephew, Luke, is 8 years old and has Autism. My sister & her husband got his GAC at MK (the only park they visited). They had a doctors note but didn't need it. They also have 3 other children (ages 6, 3, & 1) and were able to use his GAC with no problem. He can't wait for long times & doesn't like loud noises or crowds. The CMs were great & they were taken in thru the handicapped entrance or the exit for each ride. They were able to see everything they wanted to in 2 days. The GAC was a life saver for them and the CMs were great!!! Just wanted to let you know!!!:mickey:

csdavis
12-27-2008, 09:12 PM
We hopefully going on the 4th with my father. He has cancer and right now is in the hospital to get a blood transfusion. I am hoping to get him a GAC but wasn't sure what was involved. He won't make it very long at the parks. He gets tired very easy and I want him to see what he can. Do I need to take a doctor's note or a copy of his diagnosis? We are praying now that he will be well enough to go.

DumboMom
12-27-2008, 09:35 PM
My thought and prayers are with you and your Dad.

My friend's son has autism and she was unaware of this card. She actually cancelled a trip with her extended family because she thought it would be too much for him. I will have to share your story. :mickey:

joanna71985
12-27-2008, 09:58 PM
We hopefully going on the 4th with my father. He has cancer and right now is in the hospital to get a blood transfusion. I am hoping to get him a GAC but wasn't sure what was involved. He won't make it very long at the parks. He gets tired very easy and I want him to see what he can. Do I need to take a doctor's note or a copy of his diagnosis? We are praying now that he will be well enough to go.

No, you won't need a doctor's note. The CMs at GR won't look at it.

ElenitaB
12-28-2008, 06:49 PM
GoofysGirl, thanks very much for sharing your experience with us! The more information people have, the more comfortable they feel as they plan their trips.

csdavis, there was a thread earlier this year that discussed travelling to WDW while undergoing cancer treatment (I've done at least four or five trips while actively battling the :thedolls: myself). Click through to the thread here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=126561) for some tips that you may find helpful. Are you staying on property? I have no shame in going back to the hotel every afternoon for a rest (me and the little kiddies :blush:).

csdavis
12-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks. Just hoping he will be strong enough to go.:fingers:

Daisy'sMom
01-02-2009, 05:30 PM
CS, I hope he doesn't get to drained on your trip. Have fun and good luck.:mickey:

Tinkerbellrulz
01-16-2009, 08:08 PM
:cloud9:we go to disney 1 - 2 times a year with my son who is autistic he absolutely loves it . we do get a GAC we could not be more grateful for that little piece of paper for any parent on the fence about bringing their child thats on the spectrum dont be just dont put too many expectation on how many things u feel u need to see in one day !!!

Briansmom
01-18-2009, 05:06 PM
I can't say enough good things about that little piece of paper. Our DS10 has autism and we took him to WDW for the first time this past May. I cry everytime I think about the trip or everytime we look at the pictures. He is now totally addicted to WDW just like his mommy and sister. (daddy's in training ;) ). If it weren't for the GAC, I know our trip wouldn't have been as magical as it was. Thanks to the good folks at Disney who recognize those of us with special needs in our families. And like Tinkerbellrulz said, if anyone has a child with autism and are worried about the lines, etc, don't be......having the GAC and going with what you know works for your family will make your trip truly something to remember. :mickey:

LoriSan
01-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Can I ask what this card does for you? We are planning to take step son (18) in May and he has Aspergers. He doesn't do well in groups and tends to be socially-inappropriate at times

Briansmom
01-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Can I ask what this card does for you? We are planning to take step son (18) in May and he has Aspergers. He doesn't do well in groups and tends to be socially-inappropriate at times

You go to guest services when you first arrive at your first park and tell them what you need.They will date it for your length of stay and they will stamp the card with instructions for the CM's in the park so they know what to do. You show it to the CM at the ride when you get there. Our DS wore it around his neck on a lanyard. Our DS's card said "Guest can use alternate attraction entrance where available." Instead of waiting in the regular standby line, you go in the fastpass line on the fastpass rides or for the ones that dont have fastpass, you go in the handicap entrance. Everyone in the party (up to six, I think?) can go with the individual with the GAC. Others in the party cannot use the GAC, the person with the disability must be in the group. Now this only applies to ride attractions, not food or entertainment (such as character meet and greets). We found that out the hard way....when we were there and went to Judges Tent, they told us that that very day they had been told not to accept the GAC. But they let us go on in that time through the handicap entrance. I will just say that this card was an absolute lifesaver for us.
I am trying to get a trip together in May...when will you be going? I am shooting for the 12th-19th. :mickey:

LoriSan
01-21-2009, 03:57 PM
we will be there May 21 to 26 to celebrate said step son's (upcoming) HS graduation

nifty48
02-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Now this only applies to ride attractions, not food or entertainment (such as character meet and greets). We found that out the hard way....when we were there and went to Judges Tent, they told us that that very day they had been told not to accept the GAC. But they let us go on in that time through the handicap entrance. I will just say that this card was an absolute lifesaver for us.
:mickey:

Hi Lela, We were at MK on Feb 1 and wanted to visit tinkerbell and the fairies so we decided to ask if we could use the pass to get to see the fairies. They did let us use it. They had us wait by the exit where the benches are. We didn't get right in. We had to wait quite some time but Jacob did much better waiting there than he would have waiting on the crowded line. This was the first time we tried it there since we were with you that day last May so I'm not sure when they started accepting it again.:thumbsup: