PDA

View Full Version : Boma: convince me

KLud
12-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Trying to decide whether or not we should try Boma out in May. I really want to try new restaurants this trip, however, my sister is not too keen on trying Boma. Why do people like it so much? Is it worth the money?

Thanks in advance!

DlandMommy
12-26-2008, 07:04 PM
We went to Boma last may on mothers day and it was NOT our thing:ack:We had heard such good things about it so that was the one I chose for mothers day:( We had to order pizza that night cause we were so hungry.Maybe our taste is different cause other people love it:)We just didnt like all the spices:)

DisneyFr33k
12-26-2008, 07:48 PM
We have been to Boma twice and have loved their authentic food! However, you have to be willing to try new foods native to Africa to enjoy this. Since Tusker House converted to a table service, we decided for our trip this past October to forgo Boma and try TH instead. TH was compariable to Boma and we weren't disappointed. So to answer your question, if you are willing to try different cultures foods, this is a WONDERFUl place to go. However, you won't go hungry as they do offer a good bit of American foods as well. I don't know why the post above had to order pizza, but I haven't eaten there this year to know their American options.

Good luck either way you decide.

DlandMommy
12-26-2008, 08:21 PM
I didnt find anything american .I do have to say though that the carrot soup was amazing but that was all I liked.Everyone is different you may love it:thumbsup:

Disney Doll
12-26-2008, 09:53 PM
We loved Boma. DH and our nephew are not adventurous eaters and they found plenty of American food. DH had prime rib and potatoes which he loved. Our nephew had chicken fingers, mac and cheese, and a vacation sized dose of chocolate chip cookies from the dessert bar. I think the fun in Boma is that it is a buffet and there are so many choices. I enjoyed being able to sample a little bit of everything. I tried lots of things I normally wouldn't have. Some things I liked and some things I didn't. However, with all the choices I figure most anyone could find something they are happy with.

mom2morgan
12-26-2008, 11:25 PM
I enjoyed it! My kids are not adventurous eaters and I found plenty of "American" food. They had prime rib and BBQ pork, and although they were seasoned with African spices, I didn't find the flavour strong at all, and if you DID dislike it, it would be easy enough just not to eat the outside edges where the rub is. There is also a lot of fresh fruit with no dressing or sauce or anything. Really, we were almost a little disappointed it wasn't a bit more "exotic" (hubby hoping for some sort of wild game), but I truly think there is something for everyone. And I really liked the Zebra Domes!

buzznwoodysmom
12-26-2008, 11:35 PM
We tried Boma once and none of us liked it at all. Everything had the same strong flavor. It must be a key ingredient in African food because almost every dish had a distinct flavor that we didn't care for. However, I would give this place another try incase it was an off night.

DizneyRox
12-27-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm a fan of Boma, although not many else in my party is. Everything is "Americn" really, it's just the spices. You're not going to find elephant, or Lion, or whatever. It's your basic Beef, Pork, Chicken, all with maybe some more unusual spices..

I found there to be something for everyone at the buffet, BUT for what you pay, only having limited choices tends to put people off I think.

If you really want to try something out of this world, give Jiko a try, EXCELLENT food! That's where Im heading this upcoming trip!

Yvette
12-27-2008, 08:52 AM
I don't know how convicing I will be, but here goes. One of our favorite things to do at WDW is to try new food. Do we like everything? No. However, we have found discovered food that we now love that we really wouldn't have tried anywhere else.

Cheese Soup anyone?

I remember the first time DD and I went to Marrakesh. (I had to talk her into it). She LOVED it so much that I bought the cookbook from the restaurant. Would she have been willing to try that at home? Probably not.

I say give it a try. You just might love it.

Mommy2boys
12-27-2008, 10:59 AM
We were leary of going there too but soo glad we did. DH is a very picky eater and he says that it was his favorite restaurant there. Soo much variety you cannot go hungry.

mom2morgan
12-27-2008, 12:58 PM
If you really want to try something out of this world, give Jiko a try, EXCELLENT food! That's where Im heading this upcoming trip!

I was a little scared to try Jiko. I thinkt the beauty of Boma being a buffet is that you can try a little of everything, and then just not eat the foods you don't like, and fill up on something you DO like. I'd be afraid at Jiko of ordering something and then discovering I didn't like it.

SBETigg
12-27-2008, 01:17 PM
My buffet-hating family really loved Boma. Even our picky eater-- it is now her favorite Disney restaurant. With all the amazing choices, I can't imagine you won't find something to like. The food quality is well above what I normally find at buffets. I was really glad we tried it, and it was a great chance to check out the AKL.

disneydeb
12-27-2008, 01:23 PM
For us, Boma is wonderful!
There is a kids section on the bar that has mac and cheese and I think chicken nuggets along with some other reognizable kiddy offerings.

We love the idea of a buffet as we can all find something we can fill up on. There are plenty of salads and fruits that are reognizable in any American and European buffet.

Be adventurous!
You'll never know till you try! :mickey:

Belle_0717
12-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Boma is great. It is absolutely worth the money. They have something for everyone. Our last trip we treated the entire family to dinner. We have a very picky eaters in our family. The kid's choices are very american, spaghetti & meatballs, french fries and chicken nuggets, but the adults can enjoy it too. Our 2 year old DN enjoyed the FUFU(mashed sweet and white potatoes with honey and nutmeg). My dad asked us to make it when we came home because he enjoyed it so much.

KLud
12-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone!

From what I'm reading, a lot of folks are relieved that there are foods for picky eaters and more familiar favorites. I'm a little hesitant to drop a wad of $ on a meal that could just end up being spaghetti etc. if I don't like it.

I'll still keep it in mind, however, we may just try other places that are a bit safer that we haven't done in many, many years like 50s Primetime, Biergarten and Brown Derby or places we've never tried like Yak and Yeti, Tokyo Dining.

nicjohn3
12-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I loved Boma, however, I dont like to try many different foods. I found enough on the buffet that I liked and my 2 kids liked. My hubbie tried new things and liked them. We had the dining plan so money was not the issue. I dont know if I would have paid for it out of my pocket. The ZEBRA CAKES are a must!!

The atmosphere is wonderful also. The lodge is a pretty resort and so is the restaurant.

We will be going back again in March using the dining plan.

Hull-onian
12-28-2008, 11:20 AM
My first trip to Boma was great. We enjoyed all the choices they had to offer, including all the deserts. Our server was great. The second time we went, they changed the menu a little bit. I think they go according to what veggies are in season. We got the beef ribs, to die for. The rest was okay. Next time, it is going to be Jiko. There is something to be said for table service.

thrillme
12-28-2008, 09:34 PM
It was OK...We all found something we liked. Oddly I found a lot of the food to be "sweet". We all really liked the "ribs". There was a good selection of different foods. I think everybody will find something. There was some kind of carrot squash soup that was very good. I was reluctant to try it at first but WOW.

I've grown to not be a big fan of Buffets but I do like some of the ones at Disney.

Natazu
12-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Zebra Domes... nuff said!

MinnieMommie
12-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks for all the input everyone!

From what I'm reading, a lot of folks are relieved that there are foods for picky eaters and more familiar favorites. I'm a little hesitant to drop a wad of $ on a meal that could just end up being spaghetti etc. if I don't like it.

DH is a picky eater and did not like Boma and will not go back again. He did not like the flavor of the spices which were similar on many of the food items (for instance he likes roast potatoes, beef and chicken but they all had the same flavor). I liked Boma better than the others in my party but it was not a favorite for any of us.

If you are "hesitant to drop a wad of $ on a meal that could just end up being spaghetti etc." this may not be the best choice for you. :mickey:

DisneyAndRedSox
12-29-2008, 07:26 AM
It was OK...We all found something we liked. Oddly I found a lot of the food to be "sweet". We all really liked the "ribs".

Question: I heard the ribs are only served twice a week (Sat & Weds?) Does anyone know if this is true? I booked Boma for DH's birthday and it is on a Saturday. TIA!

pcoleman
12-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Tired Boma for the first time this past September. Went with three friend who are very adventurous eaters, I am veryyyyy picky. We all loved this place. They loved the food, I loved the feeling of being there. I tried so many different foods and ended up eating the chicken nuggets. Our server was extremely attentive and this was my only opportunity to see the lodge. We were on the meal plan so the cost was not an issue. I would still go again just to see everything again. For me some of my best experiences also take into account the atmosphere. I think it's worth trying since so many people have such different opinions.

PlutoPlanet
12-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Our family goes to Boma every year. Yes, we love it. We can find good Italian and Fish restaurants near us, but Boma is unique. Our DD12 has no problem finding enough good stuff to eat, and she has a kid appetite.
Usually I try a little of everything that I'm interested in. That fills me up. Their soups are the best.

ThanxForNoticin
12-29-2008, 12:19 PM
We are not the most adventurous of eaters, but Boma is without a doubt one of our favorite places to eat dinner. The selection is varied enough that all of us have our own favorites, be it the soups, the dips, the meats, or the desserts. Not only do we feel it's worth the cost, but we feel it's actually a very good value for the money.

In short, I think you will find the good reviews of Boma are far more than the negative reviews - but it's certainly not for everyone. Hope you have a great dinner wherever you decide to go.

Goes4FastPass
12-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Boma is good and has a varied menu.

People sometimes expect 'foreign' or exotic tastes when they think of Boma. Remember, this is an African themed restaurant in Walt Disney World - a very mainstream place.

My wife once suggested to a CM at Boma that they should, along with the names of dishes, write the country of origin on the cards displayed on the buffet. The CM diplomatically replied since the dishes of Boma are inspired by Africa and developed at WDW it would not be possible to point a specific dish to a specific country.

Many things at Boma or immediatly familiar - spit roasted prime rib - and the decision to take some of the whatsthis relish nearby is entirely up to you.

Why does a title like "convince me" sound like Tinker Bell folding her arms and making a pouty face?

DisneyGlutton
12-31-2008, 05:39 PM
People sometimes expect 'foreign' or exotic tastes when they think of Boma. Remember, this is an African themed restaurant in Walt Disney World - a very mainstream place.

Why does a title like "convince me" sound like Tinker Bell folding her arms and making a pouty face?

I'm a fussy eater and I agree that the food isn't that exotic and is very good (and since its a huge buffet, you can always try many new things).

Having said that, if you need to be convinced, then maybe you shouldn't go. If you drag yourself through the door, are you really in the right mindset? Granted you could love it, but still...

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-01-2009, 12:27 PM
We just got back and Boma was one of the ones we tried...we had mixed reviews...my mom is not an adventurous eater and found her choices limited, but the couple of things she did eat she liked...my son isn't adventurous either but he loved that they had penne pasta and marinara...I either loved or didn't like the things I tried...they do use a lot of curry, so if you don't like curry it might limit your choices...the hummus was really good, soup really good and an excellent dessert bar for a buffet