PDA

View Full Version : Are Some WDW Visitors Just Plain FOOLS?

Goes4FastPass
12-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Folks, I know some sort of political correctness says everyone is entitled to their opinion etc. etc. etc. but

On our last and previous trips to WDW we have struck up bus conversations with more than one family, bright shiny faces, happy excited children... how long are you here for?... a week ... 2 days left... then...

Have you been to EPCOT? No! Yuck! It's educational isn't it. I didn't take my kids outa school a week to go there myself! And isn't part of it foreign? That has no appeal to me at all.

and/or

Are you going to the Animal Kingdom? No! it's just some sort of zoo or something isn't it? Smelly animals. We've been to the zoo back home.

I gotta tell you, I like Dumbo and Corn Dogs as much as anybody but I always find unique and entertaining things for all ages and interests when I take family and friends to any of the Disney Parks.

Can a person who hasn't walked through the gate at EPCOT or AK or DHS know they won't like it? Is that an opinion or a guess?

Sometimes we feel tempted to reply with words like Natazu and Nemo and Soarin' and Dinosaur and Everest and Mulan and Belle but usually we just wait out the rest of the bus ride.

I guess these people go home and tell their friends WDW is a nice place but there's not enough to do there to stay a whole week...

1goofyfamily
12-26-2008, 02:38 PM
I know what you mean we had friends just get back and we asked them if they went on the Kilimanjaro Safari and they said "no" my sister said it wasn't worth the time and we were like WHAT?? They had us do all this last minute planning for them since they never had been and didn't want to plan out their days but gave them must do things. So I just knew then they didn't do anything in EPCOT but I asked hoping to be surprised. So I asked about the tree lighting & story tellers and the little things in each country we love and sure enough they said they barely walked through the countries of EPCOT because again sister said there was nothing to do there. Then they were like oh I wish we would have known....hello we told you but oh well.

Ian
12-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Look at it this way ... less people in line in front of us! ;)

albino_pygmy
12-26-2008, 02:54 PM
So I guess when Disney say "because the guests wanted these changes" based on their polls, they really do mean it, and all this time I thought Disney was just using that as a line to make it feel like we really did ask for some of these newer changes that aren't really all that and a bag of potato chips.

We could also blame the average tourists for the demise of Futureworld at Epcot, and the prescence of a working studio at MGM (sorry, not calling it DHS.) I also remember the whole nahtahzu campaign which I thought was cute, but seriously, do you think these people would really figure out that they're really saying "Not a zoo?" I don't think so. I do hope there's a way to get into the mind of all these people and straighten them out so that we're all not changing our ways to better suit them. I could go on and on about how stupid we (as a society) have gotten, but I'd rather not since it'll just be another lost cause :(

Janmac
12-26-2008, 04:06 PM
I suppose it depends on your definition of fool. Certainly some folks have different priorities, both in their off World and in the World lives. I think we have met more that hadn't done their homework, rather than the I'm not doing educational on my vacation or it's only a zoo/amusement park/water park and we have those at home types.

A year or two ago I did up some trip plans for coworker of my sister's. The coworker is a single parent, doctor, with little spare time but enough common sense to know that she needed some advance preparation and to actually follow the advice. They saw and did most of what they wanted, and didn't feel they needed a vacation once they got home.

Three weeks from today will be the 35th anniversary of my very first visit to DIsney World, which at that time was synonymous with Magic Kingdom. That visit was horrible, as we had not done our homework and wound up spending way too much time trying to figure out which way was up on the map while hot (it was 85 degrees and we'd just had a white Christmas) fussy kids jumped up and down hollering to ride their favorite rides.

Note: it wasn't their first time as a great aunt (in more ways than one) had taken them to WDW already at least twice.

We spent more time criss-crossing the park as I finally located Jungle Cruise or it's a small world on the map than we did in any of the attractions. It would be five years before we gave the place another try.

I suppose rather than fools there are the clueless (we have a zoo at home), overworked (no time for homework) or obsessed (yrs truly, et al) than actual fools. As a PP said, if the clueless and overworked all stayed home after their first trips, the obsessed would have fewer folks in line.

Jan

mom2morgan
12-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Well, everyone has different tastes, and I can respect that. I admit I'm NOT a huge Epcot fan, myself. But what kills me is when people end up disappointed because they don't do their research. I was blown away but a guy complaining about Seaworld, because - are you ready for this? - "There were hardly any rides! Just a bunch of stupid dolphins and stuff." Fair enough if you aren't "into" that - but to GO to Seaworld and then be disappointed because it is what it is.....

CU Tiger
12-26-2008, 05:50 PM
I think a lot of it comes down to experience. Having been to each park many times over the past several years, we know what to expect. Some of our friends that have never been have several misconceptions about each park. Some of the park descriptions do not them justice and not all things interest all people. EPCOT is one of those parks that does not seem as fun as it really can be. I tell my friends to try each park if they have the time, but steer them to the appropriate parks if they will only be there a couple of days. :mickey:

DisneyNut2005
12-26-2008, 06:46 PM
So I guess when Disney say "because the guests wanted these changes" based on their polls, they really do mean it, and all this time I thought Disney was just using that as a line to make it feel like we really did ask for some of these newer changes that aren't really all that and a bag of potato chips.

We could also blame the average tourists for the demise of Futureworld at Epcot, and the prescence of a working studio at MGM (sorry, not calling it DHS.) I also remember the whole nahtahzu campaign which I thought was cute, but seriously, do you think these people would really figure out that they're really saying "Not a zoo?" I don't think so. I do hope there's a way to get into the mind of all these people and straighten them out so that we're all not changing our ways to better suit them. I could go on and on about how stupid we (as a society) have gotten, but I'd rather not since it'll just be another lost cause :(

Man, what you said was quite harsh and discriminatory, IMO.

Times DO change and the best thing to do is get used to it.

P.S.: Call the Studios park DHS anyway. It sounds waaaaaaaay better than the previous name.

stitchaholic
12-26-2008, 07:12 PM
it is amazing to hear that people do not take advantage of seeing all they could see while being there. i had my doubts that my kids would like epcot,but it turned out to be one of our favorite parcs,we spent 2 days there and could have gone back for more,we have planned 2 days minimum in each parc(except DHS,1 day and 1 evening) so that we could experience everything!

PirateLover
12-26-2008, 07:22 PM
P.S.: Call the Studios park DHS anyway. It sounds waaaaaaaay better than the previous name.

In my neck of the woods, "DHS" is the "Department of Human Services." It's the organization to contact when you think a child is being neglected. So for me, I am uncomfortable referring to a Disney park by that acronym.

As far as people being fools.... I appreciate Epcot more now as an adult (and the World Showcase more as an adult of drinking age who also teachers geography) but I just can't stand AK after 11am. Sorry.

Georgesgirl1
12-26-2008, 08:06 PM

hehe...I agree!:mickey:

Yvette
12-26-2008, 08:25 PM
I have to agree with the original post.

The first time we went to WDW, I bought a planning book and my husband and I had a great time.

The first time I took my daughter in 2002, while we were DL experts, I took the time to do my research (by that time I graduated to the "Unofficial Guide" and we had a great time) Why did I do that? Since AK and the Studios weren't there the first time, I wanted to be prepared for them. Therefore, I knew about Fast Pass, restaurants, touring plans and the like. Did it help to make it a more successful trip......"you Betcha"

When my brother and new SIL went last year, I set up a complete plan for them based on their interests. Did they listen? Did they love their trip? No. What a shame to waste thousands of dollars like that.

Yeah, many people are fools.

MarkC
12-26-2008, 10:59 PM
A lot of people know I'm a resident "expert" and ask me for advice. I give them all kinds of tips on what to see, when to do it, how to plan, etc. The ones that take my advice give me all kinds of thanks when they return telling me how much it helped them. The ones that don't take my advice come back and often say they didn't enjoy their trip since there were too many people, or the lines were too long, although had they used some of the advice it would have saved them those problems. So I agree that everyone has different tastes but they simply don't want to venture out of their own little perception of what they plan to see and do. Maybe they don't know what they're missing, but it is really frustrating when their once in a lifetime trip is less than they thought because they aren't willing to listen. I don't even know why they ask. Ok, enough venting. We leave for our trip tomorrow so I've got better things to do anyway. Mark

betteratmk
12-26-2008, 11:29 PM
One of my favorite lines that we get is " My kids can't walk that long!" translation: I don't want to move my lazy behind !! People don't want to prepare for the trip and don't like it when they don't know where to eat, where to stay or have enough sense to make sure their children get adequte food and rest so they don't have a melt down. Drives me crazy!

dmosher
12-27-2008, 12:12 AM
I think the main thing to consider here is a lack of preparation and education regarding WDW in general.

It troubles me that people are willing to pay such an increasingly rising amount of $$ for their "dream vacation" but not seriously inquire as to what they can actually do on that vacation.

It can not have anything to do a lack of information available to the general public. We (DW and I) live way out here in NEw Zealand, and I can tell you that in the small library we have here there are 2 books on traveling to WDW (last years editions) and 1 on DL. IF we get them here, anyone can get them. Add to this the amount of commercials, DVD's (free to you all in the US), websites and the ability to just go into Borders, sit down and read and take notes (What? I was a poor College student).
In all, there is no real excuse for not being educated when THAT much $$ is involved especially for most people who only get to go to WDW once every few years.
:pipes:
D

chrisb26
12-27-2008, 12:38 AM
It is strange that people would really think that about other parks and go as far as not even be willing to go and see if what they heard was true about the parks. I am the type of person that will experience things for myself before I pass judgment because somebody's opinion probably isn't the same as others. That being said I would be more then happy to let people know that Epcot isn't all education and Animal Kingdom isn't a Zoo.

Although the people saying it are also to blame. Even if they choose not to look online or at any books available. They're park maps available everywhere in WDW for each park. They could at least look at the map and see all there is to do at Animal Kingdom and all the cool rides at Epcot.

But still I would be more then happy to let people know what they are probably missing I know I would be very upset if I had been told one thing about a park and later found out after I returned home it wasn't true and I had missed out.

KAJUNKING
12-27-2008, 11:02 AM
i try to educate any of my family or friends that are going on just some small tips to make their trip more enjoyable and most of them appreciate the info, when i hear someone is going i often point out websites like this one and podcasts like wdw today, and books like the unofficial guide, all these are the things that have made all my trips alot more enjoyable

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
12-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Our family loves Epcot. My 4 year old loves it and so does my 9 year old. After MK it is our second favorite park. I believe research your expectations for each park and go and enjoy. We even enjoy walking around World Showcase and browsing in the shops. Our kids love seeing toys and trinkets from other places.

DisneyBabies
12-27-2008, 02:49 PM
I just have to add my :twocents:. . . DH and I were two of the clueless when we went to WDW last year, not because we didn't do research, but because the guide books give a little written description of what each ride is, but no pictures. So as we were reading the descriptions, DH would say, "no, not that one, it sounds boring." so we wound up skipping a lot of things in all the parks (including all of tommorrowland in MK!) :mad:.

Well, I finally got DH to watch some of the disney shows that come on the travel channel AND the planning DVD a couple of weeks ago. Through it all, he kept asking "is that new? it wasn't there when we went. let's go on that when we take DS." And I kept telling him, "no, that's another one you vetoed when we went the first time." DH got very grumpy and said they need to put pictures of every attraction in the guide books for people like him who need to see a picture of a ride to decide if they want to go on it :D.

So, I am soaking up as much advice as I can here on intercot from all of you who know sooooo much more than I do. Thanks for the help, and we'll try not to be clueless in the future.

LauraleeH
12-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Why does everyone care if someone doesn't want to go to a Park? I mean, yeah, if it's someone in your group that refuses to go to Epcot because they don't want to be educated on vacation and that happens to be your favorite Park, I can understand why you'd be so upset. But if it's a completely different family with completely different opinions, why get so upset over it?

And yes, Animal Kingdom is just another zoo (I can't stand animals) and although I love Expedition Everest, I can live without it.

mom2morgan
12-27-2008, 03:11 PM
I think the cause of the irritation is listening to someone complain about something when they don't know what they're talking about. Like with my Seaworld example above - if he doesn't like dolphins, fine. Don't go to Seaworld. But it is so toxic and negative to go and then COMPLAIN because there is mostly just dolphins and stuff. Seriously, can't people at least read what something is all about so they don't go expecting something completely different? I guess I just find it such a "downer" when people complain - like a point I made in another post about "barfy face" icons to describe a restaurant that is just not someone's cup of tea, or how I almost felt insulted when someone said to me "Soarin' is so boring. Only an idiot would enjoy something so lame.". Well, since I like it, I guess that makes me an idiot.... Now, since you say you hate animals (*gasp*, *faint* how COULD you? LOL) fair enough - but at least you don't go to Animal Kingdom and then complain about it!

Why does everyone care if someone doesn't want to go to a Park? I mean, yeah, if it's someone in your group that refuses to go to Epcot because they don't want to be educated on vacation and that happens to be your favorite Park, I can understand why you'd be so upset. But if it's a completely different family with completely different opinions, why get so upset over it?

And yes, Animal Kingdom is just another zoo (I can't stand animals) and although I love Expedition Everest, I can live without it.

dmosher
12-27-2008, 03:22 PM
I couldn't agree more. ANd though I personally do find Soaring ratehr borin, I woudl not judge you for saying you liked it (though I may make fun of you when your not around for it. Heheh)
In the end it is about educating yourself :beat: Disney and if you choose not to that's fine, but complaining about it to those of us who are here and trying to have a good time is just dissheartening and for that, those people do deserve slap in the face with a wet fish
:beat:
D

I think the cause of the irritation is listening to someone complain about something when they don't know what they're talking about. Like with my Seaworld example above - if he doesn't like dolphins, fine. Don't go to Seaworld. But it is so toxic and negative to go and then COMPLAIN because there is mostly just dolphins and stuff. Seriously, can't people at least read what something is all about so they don't go expecting something completely different? I guess I just find it such a "downer" when people complain - like a point I made in another post about "barfy face" icons to describe a restaurant that is just not someone's cup of tea, or how I almost felt insulted when someone said to me "Soarin' is so boring. Only an idiot would enjoy something so lame.". Well, since I like it, I guess that makes me an idiot.... Now, since you say you hate animals (*gasp*, *faint* how COULD you? LOL) fair enough - but at least you don't go to Animal Kingdom and then complain about it!

mainemajor
12-27-2008, 04:59 PM
I talk with friends that are going and let them know what I like and why. It is just as important when I talk with my friends about WDW that I keep what they like and dislike. This is just as important as what I like. Everyone has a choice as to what they do. All people that love WDW should do is share their joy with others that ask them and not offer it to people that they do not know unless they are asked. To do otherwise is just plain rude and intrusive. IMHO.

MickeyAD
12-27-2008, 07:47 PM
"Are Some WDW Visitors Just Plain FOOLS?"

...Okay, you caught me...guilty as charged...

My name is Andrea, I am a FREQUENT WDW Visitor and :blush: I am a FOOL...

I was born on April 1st. :goof:

Sorry, I couldn't resist...to seriously answer your question, yes, there are most certainly foolish WDW visitors. But, I believe most of those are first-timers...hopefully, the ones who enjoy their visit decide to come back and, you would think, they would become more educated about WDW accordingly. Otherwise, to the ones who refuse to visit parks based on erroneous presumptions, I say it's their loss.

thumperbug
12-27-2008, 07:49 PM
If I hadn't spent quality time years ago doing a bit of pre trip research...I would never have gotton as much out of my earlier trips as I did.

Years later....I now know how to plan my trips and get the most out of every park.

Anyone I talk to about Disney I always tell to do a little reading and make a plan. While I don't plan out each ride etc in each park...I do plan what parks to hit on what days and based on the time of day know which areas are best to hit.

While not a fan of AK...there are things there we do enjoy so we go, do what we like and then leave.

Same with DHS...not a huge fan but there are things there my DS LOVESSSSSS so we go, enjoy and move on.

Epcot and MK are our 2 favs. We never get tired of either.

Donald
12-27-2008, 08:23 PM
My mother in law asked me if EPCOT was air-conditioned! :rotfl: Yeah, sure it is!!:funny: Florida air!!

pdrlkr
12-28-2008, 10:17 AM
We have friends that have been going twice a year, for 7 days at a time, for about 6 years now. They only visit one park each visit and have never been to AK and just went to HS for the first time this year. They had never even heard of Fantasmic or Toy story mania. They always tell us that they always just go to Disney World, referring to The Magic Kingdom. The really funny thing is they are DVC owners. I always ask them if they have done this or seen that. But, they seem to just stay at the resort in the pool all the time. I think I could find a cheaper place to do that than WDW. I quess I will never get it. :crazy:

disneyworld55925592
12-28-2008, 10:34 AM
I wish people would understand the magic of disney in all the parks! Every park has it not only MK, i promise!

the other micki
12-28-2008, 11:42 AM
We have friends that have been going twice a year, for 7 days at a time, for about 6 years now. They only visit one park each visit and have never been to AK and just went to HS for the first time this year. They had never even heard of Fantasmic or Toy story mania. They always tell us that they always just go to Disney World, referring to The Magic Kingdom. The really funny thing is they are DVC owners. I always ask them if they have done this or seen that. But, they seem to just stay at the resort in the pool all the time. I think I could find a cheaper place to do that than WDW. I quess I will never get it. :crazy:

Now that's amazing! :shake: There's definitely a cheaper place for pool time than WDW!

KevMcNJ
12-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Epcot is a half a day and outta there.

No Im not a fool

LauraleeH
12-28-2008, 12:18 PM
I get your point, but anyone who says that someone is an idiot because they don't like the same ride as you is probably like that with everything, and to call others names just because of petty differences in ride choices is pretty mean.
Oh, and just so you know, it's the smell ;) Even though they are beautiful, the animal smell makes me sick...and I get kind of bored just watching them, although it's funny to think that they are looking at us people and thinking stuff like, "I'd hate to be a human, just walking around all day, staring at us and taking pictures" lol.

chrisb26
12-28-2008, 01:06 PM
I get your point, but anyone who says that someone is an idiot because they don't like the same ride as you is probably like that with everything, and to call others names just because of petty differences in ride choices is pretty mean.
Oh, and just so you know, it's the smell ;) Even though they are beautiful, the animal smell makes me sick...and I get kind of bored just watching them

See that I have no problem with at all if you've been to a park or even a ride and you decided you don't like it then that is fine don't go why should anybody say you should go if you don't enjoy it? It's your vacation you should have fun.

Where I get slightly annoyed is with people that are judging based on something they know nothing about because they've never been. For example like the person who overheard somebody saying they wouldn't go to Epcot because it was educational. They had never been yet they were judging it. I don't even care that they will miss out that is their choice. I don't like the fact that they could possibly go home and tell a friend or family member who is about to go that there wasn't much to do and their opinion of Epcot and make it sound like they had gone when they never had. It's kind of like the saying Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover. That is what they seem to do.

Now I will say I have first hand experience at this. Not so much a park but there have been rides that I would always skip because I didn't think I would enjoy them. However one trip I finally decided to give it a try and you know what I really liked it. It made me upset that all those other trips I had skipped it because I didn't think I would like it. So its really taught me to try things before you pass judgement on whether you would like it or not.

Like I said if you've tried it and don't like it that is fine why should you keep going somewhere or doing something you don't enjoy but you should at least try it once because if you don't you'll never know what your missing.

Daisy'sMom
12-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Why does anyone feel slighted or angry because someone else does not find a something as wonderful as you think it is? The older I get the more tolerant I become to others likes and dislikes. If someone does not see any of the parks like I see them, that is fine with me. I happen to think Vegas is terrible, I happen to think thrill rides don't belong at Epcot and I think Disney can't do anything wrong. It's how I feel, and it is alright if you don't feel the same. :mickey:

A Foolish Mortal
12-28-2008, 03:30 PM
I don't get as upset when people say they dislike something, but I do get annoyed when people ask ridiculous questions.

I just returned from a trip 2 days ago, and I was asked where the Epcot Hotel was. While I was on a bus to AK. Its just astounding that some people put absolutely no effort into researching where they are going to, especially someplace like WDW.

Yvette
12-28-2008, 03:38 PM
We had the family over last night for a belated Christmas and the conversation drifted to WDW since they know we are going back this spring. The SIL said the same thing as before: "I don't get it. How can you keep going back." :confused:

My daughter and I finally quizzed her (more if an interregation) asking: "Did you do this, did you ride that." No and no. They really didn't do anything but wander around.......:shrug: No wonder they didn't get it.

As I said in a prior post....why on earth would you spend that kind of money if you aren't going to do anything?

We proceeded to show her the pictures from one of our recent trips, pointing our everything they had missed. Maybe we'll do a girl's only trip and introduce her to the real WDW. :thumbsup:

pixiesmimi
12-28-2008, 03:47 PM
When we first went to WDW, we were kind of ignorant and didn't see everything in all the parks because they "didn't look interesting" or had heard they weren't much fun. But the next time we went, I decided to get a book and research some. DH didn't want to hear anything about what I read or read it himself and still had the same opinion about WDW, a theme park with roller coasters. I don't ride roller coasters so skipped a lot of the rides. But I enjoyed the atmosphere so much that we kept going back. Finally DD pointed me to Intercot and I have learned so much on here that I would never have gotten from a book. I put the DVD on one night and DH actually watched it with me and was astonished at all he had been missing. So the last time we went, just he and I, we explored every single thing in all of the parks. Now we really know what we do and do not want to see or skip next time.

It doesn't bother me if someone else doesn't like something I do. That is their right. The same things don't appeal to everyone. What I don't like is someone passing on their opinions to someone else, i.e. "don't bother with that one, there's nothing to do there" or "don't bother to go to Ak, it's just a zoo." and that person taking their word for it instead of experiencing it themselves. Along the way, I've tried to give little hints and advice to friends making a trip, so as to not sound overbearing but hoping to get them to explore a little, and have either been met with turned up noses at the advice or either smiles and thanks for cluing them in. Some people just don't know there are ways out there to research the parks or don't have the time to do it. I always just say, "Go to Intercot. There is more information on there about the parks and resorts than you would ever want to know." :) Most have thanked me later. But if someone doesn't want to go to Epcot for the "educational" benefit, that's fine with me. More room for me and shorter lines. :D They would research a cruise or European trip before going, why not the parks at WDW?

Daddy Mouse
12-28-2008, 10:01 PM
DW and I have given advice about planning ahead for trips to Disney World. A few times were have been asked about what to see or eliminate because of time. I always give them a guide book and have them rank rides, shows, etc... 1, 2, or 3 as to what they want to experience. As family they can decide what they want to do and develop a plan from there. We are willing to help people if they want. One couple we know went down without planning. They were going to wing it. When they got back they had already decided that they would plan better the next time. Most people learn from experience.

MNNHFLTX
12-29-2008, 09:41 AM
It's an interesting thing. The reason most of us start out as members here on INTERCOT is because we are looking for information for an upcoming trip to Disney World. I would lay bets that we all are, by nature, more likely to research any vacation that we are going on, Disney or not. I know that is the case for me. I like to research and plan for my family's annual trips, that is part of the fun. However, there are a lot of people out there that rarely go on vacation anywhere and so the idea of actually doing extensive information-gathering before a trip is a foreign idea and something they may never understand.

I have a niece who is married to an airline pilot and potentially could go some great places inexpensively, but they hardly ever leave their home state (well, he does, but mainly as part of his job, of course). A couple of years ago they finally decided to take their girls on a trip to Disney World. I gave her a few tips on where to go to gather some information (INTERCOT being number one on the list, of course) but I know she spent very little time actually doing that. After they returned, I could tell she felt very underwhelmed by their experience at WDW, saying it was "not as much fun as I expected it to be". Of course, they had barely hit any of the highlights (despite my urging to stay there longer, they were only at WDW itself for three days before they headed over to one of the beaches). The thing is, if someone is not the type of person who is used to researching and planning they will probably never get the appeal of WDW, or many other places they go.

albino_pygmy
12-29-2008, 10:11 AM
I don't see them as being foolish for only taking 3 days to WDW and not hitting everything you suggested. Chances are they just don't want to dish out that much money in one place, or were interested in what you suggested, but I'm sure they still had fun. What I don't understand is how people need to take a full 2 weeks at WDW and still say they didn't have enough time to do it all. I'm guessing it's because since I'm a local, I could go visit for a day and be done. I've been able to hit all 4 parks in one day before and that's what I'd usually do for a trip out to Disney, and get my money's worth. For 3 days, I can easily see do MK one day, Epcot another, and AK/MGM the last.

pink
12-29-2008, 10:16 AM

No Im not a fool

I agree. I don't think I'm a fool because I've done everything Epcot has to offer at least once and it just doesn't interest me.

GrumpyFan
12-29-2008, 12:11 PM
IMO, There are many reasons why people would seem to be "fools" when it comes to WDW. Mostly, I think it's due to a lack of understanding and researching on their own part. I know when we made our first trip, we could've been considered somewhat foolish, but really we were merely un-educated. We didn't start discovering what WDW had to offer until after we came home and started planning our next trip with the kids. WDW is a big place, and a lot of people simply mistake it to be ONE big theme park, and then they compare it to their local theme park. However, as we here know, that's a big mistake and a very bad comparison.

So, don't be too hard on the "un-educated". Some of them, while maybe a little slow, do get it, the ones who don't though, probably never will and will be wandering thru the parks looking for Shamu or Shrek (I've actually heard people ask where these were in MK).

MNNHFLTX
12-29-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't see them as being foolish for only taking 3 days to WDW and not hitting everything you suggested. Chances are they just don't want to dish out that much money in one place, or were interested in what you suggested, but I'm sure they still had fun.I really didn't think they were foolish (I hate that word anyway) for only being there three days--what I thought was a shame was that they complained about the money they did dish out and that they felt like they didn't get to see very much. This was because they weren't familiar with how to use Fastpass, what attractions there were and how best to utilize their time. They kind of wandered aimlessly around the parks, occasionally standing in a very long line for a single attraction, therefore only seeing a glimpse of what the parks had to offer. I have a feeling that there are a fair amount of people out there who do the same. If a person is only going to be there for a few days, then it's probably in their best interests to familiarize themself ahead of time with ways to maximize their time.

I was a local too for many years and often made day trips to WDW. I think that's when I became so interested in the best way to make the most of my little jaunts over there. Which is why I joined INTERCOT. :)

SandmanGStefani24
12-29-2008, 02:14 PM
i kind of see it like this...

i walked right past some great attractions and didn't know what I was missing. my first two trips to WDW i didn't see Pirates of the Carrib. Now, I can't imagine going and not riding it. I waltzed through the world showcase trip #2 and had no idea how much cool stuff there is to see and do there. Maybe all those people just need to take a 2nd look and see that there is a ton of stuff they will like at the parks they might have skipped. But, I also look at it the same was someone ealier said...less people in line for us! :number1:

Goes4FastPass
12-29-2008, 02:16 PM
I really didn't think they were foolish (I hate that word anyway)...

Garsh, wasn't it Jiminy Cricket who said,

Any fool gets out of cars
The wrong side only once
And if he lives to tell the tale
He's crowned a stupid dunce

Oh, I'm no fool! No sirree!
I want to live to be ninety-three
I play safe for you and me 'cause
I'm no fool!

I want you to know I'm not upset or angry or even bothered by people who have decided not to investigate whole theme parks at WDW based on their assumptions or guesses. If anything, I feel disappointed that they have spent time and money making a trip to my favorite vacation destination and are not be getting the best experience they might.

Of course I don't expect everyone to like everything but for a family to pay for a week of lodging at WDW and MYW admission media and skip 1 or 2 theme parks that they've never been to because of guesses or assumptions seems less like a choice and more like, well, what Jiminy says he's not.

Don't we tell our kids you have to try something before you can decide it you like it or not?

WDWRox
12-30-2008, 11:09 AM

Have to agree with you there, although I can probably do everything I WANT to see and do at both Epcot and Animal Kingdom within an 8-12:00 time frame in the same day. No joke.

I'd have to say the true "fools", though, are the people that think they know all there is to know about Disney World (and sometimes you can overhear them talking to others) and you bite your tongue trying to NOT speak up and correct some of the stupid things they say. (i.e. On a launch ride from WL to MK, I overheard one guy (speaking as if he felt he were an authority) telling another about how the launches all ride on a track on the bottom of Seven Seas Lagoon/Bay Lake and how it fools everyone into thinking they're on a "real boat ride")

handmaidenofprincesses
12-30-2008, 11:09 PM
It doesn't bother me when people don't "get the Disney thing." It only bothered me when someone asked for my help planning their trip and I'd spent three weeks helping them out only to have all of my advice blatantly ignored. And then, when they got back, it was the snide comments about me still liking Disney as an adult when it was "so obviously for children" that really irritated me...:mad:

badkitty
12-31-2008, 12:46 AM
I don't see them as being foolish for only taking 3 days to WDW and not hitting everything you suggested. Chances are they just don't want to dish out that much money in one place, or were interested in what you suggested, but I'm sure they still had fun. What I don't understand is how people need to take a full 2 weeks at WDW and still say they didn't have enough time to do it all. I'm guessing it's because since I'm a local, I could go visit for a day and be done. I've been able to hit all 4 parks in one day before and that's what I'd usually do for a trip out to Disney, and get my money's worth. For 3 days, I can easily see do MK one day, Epcot another, and AK/MGM the last.

So, it really all boils down to perspective and what your individual interests are. There is more to WDW than just the "theme" parks. I have done the "four parks in one day" and have spend the two weeks trip while crying on the last day that it was time to go home.

If you had asked me what I thought about AK the first time I went, I would have said it was hot and too much walking. As course that was on a day when it was extremely hot and humid and I had already spent five hours at EPCOT. I was on a business trip so I only had that experience of AK that trip but wanted a second look. Now it is my favorite park. I can literally spend hours watching the Okapi in Africa or the Tigers in Asia. I have two great zoos and an animal theme park near where I live but they don't have such a great themed display of unique animals or the fabulous safari. I am a huge animal lover and think AK is marvelously done.

garymacd
12-31-2008, 12:51 AM
(I can't stand animals)

Yeah! Durn animals! Always messin up the place! And all them pesky trees and bugs and bushes and birdies and fishes and froggies and spiders and snakes!

Let's get rid of them all!

(Tongue planted firmly in - and right through - cheek!):rotfl:

LoriMistress
12-31-2008, 01:01 AM
Ignorance is bliss. If people aren't willing to try new things or even do any form of research; and complain about how much their vacation sucked and will NEVER go back to WDW, they brought it upon themselves. Less people in the parks taking up space.

I saw numerous people who had no idea how to use FP and tried to yell at CMs because they though one FP meant they can drag everyone and their mother onto the attraction.

Zawadi
12-31-2008, 06:27 AM
Preconceptions are a very powerful influence on a person's behaviour. Some people are as free as a locomotive but they find that they still have to follow the tracks.

We've acted as tour guides, and introduced other members our family to WDW. Their preconceptions, which included the usual "Only for kids" and "Nothing there for me", were changed after the itenary revealed that there is more to WDW than the rides. We only realised the extent of their change of mind when, on our return home, they planned their return trip for the following year. (This isn't bad going since one of them hates flying and it's a 9hour flight :D)

Even our ideas towards WDW have changed from doing all of the rides to appreciating the subtle details that makes WDW work. We still do our favourite (or new) rides but now spend more time looking behind the scenes and doing things like the "Keys to the Kingdom" tour and looking for the features identified in the various "Field Guides" and "Hidden Mickey" books. On a few occasions we've pointed out the hidden mickey continent in Buzz Lightyear to people and they just go "Wow!".

"Life would be boring if we were all the same."

Von-Drake
12-31-2008, 07:03 AM
Yes

mom2morgan
12-31-2008, 01:28 PM
So I can chime in with personal experience now! A friend JUST told me this morning 'We are planning to go to Disney World and Epcot. Is there anything else to do there? She really had no clue that there are four parks that are all part of WDW, and of course she means "the Magic Kingdom" when she says Disney World. I suggested a couple good guides she really needs to get ;-)

dtootsie42
12-31-2008, 01:47 PM
I laughed when I read this thread because so much of it is so true. I've been trying for years to get my parents to go to Disney World.....for some reason they think it is just another "amusement" park like Six Flags. We have told them over and over, no way, we've shown them pictures, told stories, shown them Intercot etc. etc. but nothing works. My dear hubs parents came to celebrate their 50th wedding anniv and had an incredible time. That was about 5 years ago and to this day they talk about their amazing trip. If my father-n-law was in better health they would have returned but so far they have not had the chance.

So my hubs and I are thinking of celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary at Disney in a couple of years. We've started working on my family but I think it will end up being just our three daughters, my hubs parents and some close family friends. It makes me sad that my family misses out on an experience that is terrific and brings such joy to not only us but to so many others.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand

Lynn J Mc
12-31-2008, 03:40 PM
I love WDW and despise Animal Kingdom. Move EE and The Lion King show over to MK and shut that park down and it would suit me just fine. I don't think that I am a fool for that opinion. MGM is a half day park for us. Ride RNR, see Beauty and the Beast and Fantasmic and we're done and I have done all of it previously so I do know what I'm missing. Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes.

Goes4FastPass
12-31-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm all for people trying something and deciding they don't care for it.

The thing I spoke about was people booking a week and a WDW resort including MYW admission media and not going near parks they had never been to because of their preconcieved notions.

My SIL got off TofTerror and said it was the experience of a lifetime. I said, "So you liked it?" and she replied, "Oh no. What I meant was I'm never going to have that experience again in my lifetime!" ... but she gave it a try.

disneydeb
12-31-2008, 04:02 PM
My dear sister is one that just does not get it. She does not enjoy thrill rides - ToT, RocknRollercoaster,etc. They stood in line for TSM for an hour once then were turned away because the ride broke. She didn't try to get a fast pass for it! She said that was OK because they had ridden the same thing over at MK.
She will NEVER get it!

KevMcNJ
12-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Ifor some reason they think it is just another "amusement" park like Six Flags.

that was my wife before we went last January. She grew up on the West Coast. went to Disney Land a few times and we went to the Jersey Shore and Great adventure.

Thats really what she thought we were heading for when I took her to WDW last January.

she was excited to go , but really had no idea.

Also I did ask my brother about AK since I hadnt been to Fla in 15 years.

He said it was like the drive thru safari at Six flags in NJ. so we didnt go there at all. I did read up on it, and to be honest I think we will hit the puke rides there and get out and head for MK. But we will give it a fair shot.

JMHO of course

Oh and BTW, when I wake up on 1-1-09 I can say we are going to Disney World next month

AllDisney
12-31-2008, 09:47 PM
A few years ago we were returning from one of the parks. We were staying at the CSR. As we were walking through the lobby his woman was on the phone. She must have been asked where she had gone for the day because, and are you ready for this???? AK is like a zoo!!!!!

In all our years going to AK we've never thought of it as a zoo. It's soooooo much more than that.
People are sure missing out on great stuff if they refuse to explore.

nicjohn3
01-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Arent ALL: the parks like a "zoo" sometimes--(Mid July when it is 95 degrees):blush:

I get the "I dont get it?" alot too. Especially from my husband. I am a 38 year old female with 6 and 4 year old sons. I love going to Disney. Not a fan of AK, but will go for at least 1/2 day to do the things we do like.

Believe it or not, but my sons love Epcot. For a 6 and 4 year old to say that it is their favorite park is something. (Yes, they have been to MK :mickey:) They love all the computer games and activities. It has changed over the years since I was a kid. Yes it is educational and what is wrong with that. Maybe we can learn something (I teach 3rd grade:mickey:) My sons arent fond of all the walking, but they love it when we get to the electronics!!

Can you imagine if everyone one only enjoyed MK and no one liked Epcot?? Think of the lines then.

As an educator and parent, I try to teach my children and students to value everyones opinion and never to judge someone for that. I think that is the problem with our society. The adults pass judgement and name call and our children learn that behavior.

Anyways--I know I love Disney World--Something when you are there ---I hope I can continue to go year after year.
:number1:

disneydeb
01-02-2009, 09:17 AM
The older I get , the more it is not just about the rides for me - or the shows. Hanging out with friends I've made here on Intercot, even if we are just standing around talking had a much to do with the enjoyment of my December vacation as anything else.:thumbsup:

mudpuppysmom
01-02-2009, 11:36 AM
I just returned from the World on 12/16 after planning for MONTHS an extended family vacation with my sister and her clan.

I don't exactly time things to the minute.....but I do plan a park day -- as in "we're going to this park today what do you want to do"....that is how I plan our days.

That said, I have a formula that works for US well...I said US b/c I know that kids will have opinions all the time and try to sway me, but my son and husband just go along with me when I do all the planning and they know I try to get everything they want to do into our days. It is only seven SHORT days.....we could stay much longer!!

Anyway, we were at Epcot one afternoon and I waiting for our FP for Soarin to come up so we went on Living w/ the Land....the line was short so we jumped on. At the end, I said to my nieces....."Did you guys like that??" The three year old exclaimed she wanted to DO IT AGAIN!!! I asked my sister if she and her boyfriend wanted to go again and she just said, "Boy that was educational".....I took that as a no. Now, my family has been on this ride and we've also taken the tour! DS#1 and I have been on the tour THREE times!! Once by ourselves, once with my cousins from Daytona and once we took DH (when he came with us on vaca :D). DS#1 asked the girls if they wanted to go on the tour....I fully intended on paying for them too.....but my DSis said it would be boring and that was that -- the girls didn't want to do it.

I don't know that they ever really made it to WS where I know my older DN wanted to go to a few of the pavilions (Italy specifically).....and I'm kinda sad for them, but they had their vacation their way.

As for AK.....they went to Rafiki's and never got off the train -- my DSis didn't realize there was anything else to do there.....they went on the Safari and did one of the walking trails....I'm not exactly sure what else they did though for the remainder of the day there, but they were back at AKL before 5 pm and had left around 11 am, so you do the math......

As for staying at the AKL.....I will say that even though we got an upgrade to a savannah view room (hey, I was happy we weren't looking at cars or a tree out our balcony!!). When she went out and saw we really had no animals to look at, unless you count the official animal of Disney World -- the giant construction crane :D:D -- if you count that, we did see an animal.....what we did see all week were two ostriches two days and two giraffe's the same day.....that was it for the week! My DSis said that is where they put the people they don't know what to do with.....in the rooms no one else wants......again, I was GLAD we weren 't looking at a car or a tree out our balcony and i pointed that out when we were at the pool......how would you like THAT room....literally a tree in front of your eyes!!

Bottom line is that everyone vacations differently......some of us are just so darn addicted to the World we can't help ourselves, but we also can't judge others for their vacation styles.

Yeah, we didn't do alot of the things that I had wanted us all to do, but oh well.....it's over.....about 2/3 of the way thru our week I finally tried to relax b/c I realized we were not going to get to half the stuff on my "plan". Plus it was busier than I had anticipated (A LOT busier).

We'll be back......much sooner than my sister will I think, even tho she says they are going to go back next year (meaning 2009)....we all even checked into the DVC thing!

I can say my family are park commandos.....my DSis' family......they are NOT park commandos! These two styles clash badly!

On a separate note.....we were at a party a few days ago and someone asked where we were on vaca....when I told them DIsney their reply was "Why do you go there all the time?" I told them that just about every time we go the trip is different.....DS#1 is getting older and we do different things each time....for instance during the holidays there is so much more to see and do!! So again, some people just don't catch the Disney bug like some others do.

AdventurerKim
01-02-2009, 12:34 PM
On a separate note.....we were at a party a few days ago and someone asked where we were on vaca....when I told them DIsney their reply was "Why do you go there all the time?" I told them that just about every time we go the trip is different.....DS#1 is getting older and we do different things each time....for instance during the holidays there is so much more to see and do!! So again, some people just don't catch the Disney bug like some others do.

We get the "Why do you go all the time?", and we have resorted to saying that it's because we like it a lot and always have a great trip since the real reasons escape non-WDW people which is that going to WDW is a true escape from our lives and we get to ride our favorite ride rides, have fun, and goof around and relax. Plus, there is magic in WDW! We too always find something new to do whether it's a new ride or eat at a restaurant we haven't before.

In the original post, the person who said that he/she didn't want to be "educated" on vacation is his/her right, that person has a right to be close-minded and not open to new experiences, even if they're "educational". I guess that the classroom is the only place where education should take place, according to the original post. I feel sorry for those kids.

And I absolutely agree that people like that will make the lines shorter for the rest of us! :mickey:

PETE FROM NYC
01-04-2009, 01:49 PM
My wife and I are WDW nuts.We try to visit as often as we can.
A couple of years ago,her family wanted to go with us.Consisting of DW's sister in law,her adult daughter and her 2 kids 912,and 14 yo.They are all total rookies in all things Disney.
DW and I were to do all the planning,and be the group leaders.We did all of the research,made the bookings,ADRs, etc.
DW and I wasted more time looking for the others that we could not enjoy ourselves.We are in our mid 50s,in not so great health and we still ran all of them into the ground.
One day,they wanted to sleep late,saying they would meet us in MK around noon.Around 1 PM,we got a cell call,they cabbed it to Universal instead,not only losing the days admission to WDW,but fowling up our ADR for that night.
This thread asked about fools.
After that trip,DW and I were both fools for vacationing with a non-Disney family.
NEVER AGAIN!!!

caryrae
01-04-2009, 03:14 PM
So I can chime in with personal experience now! A friend JUST told me this morning 'We are planning to go to Disney World and Epcot. Is there anything else to do there? She really had no clue that there are four parks that are all part of WDW, and of course she means "the Magic Kingdom" when she says Disney World.

and not to mention all the things to do outside the parks like DTD, water parks, mini golf, all the dining, other resort activities, dinner shows, ect.

Zawadi
01-04-2009, 03:53 PM

Have you been to EPCOT? No! Yuck! It's educational isn't it. I didn't take my kids outa school a week to go there myself! And isn't part of it foreign? That has no appeal to me at all.

We all have the ablility to learn from everything that we do/experience in life. Therefore everything is educational.

:offtopic:
It's a pity that people don't take these opportunities and get rid of xenophobic ideas. May be then the world would not be as messed up.

Goes4FastPass
01-05-2009, 01:52 PM
...It's a pity that people don't take these opportunities and get rid of xenophobic ideas. May be then the world would not be as messed up.
My hope is, United Statesers who visit EPCOT/Futureworld would find the theme park "min-countries" and more importantly, the smiles of international cast members from the host countries to be a motivation to travel outside the US.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-05-2009, 06:44 PM
You make a good point...we had friends who were there during our stay and since Magic Kingdom was at capacity New Years Eve they just went back to their hotel...they said they only do one or two things at Animal Kingdom...I found out they've never seen Legend of the Lion King:(I tried to convince them they were missing out but to no avail....and Epcot is so awesome its like a mini international vacation in one park

playdead88
01-06-2009, 06:07 AM
there are just some people out there that are fools - and i mean fool by having information available but choosing not to either read or listen - im a nurse and i have patients that choose not to know the name or dose of their medication - seriously - they take the blue pill for blood pressure - OMG! im certain that if any of them took a trip to disney they would bypass epcot and animal kingdom - which is fine by me b/c maybe when i go the line for soarin' will be a bit shorter and i won't have to do CPR on the guy who left his blue pills at home :ill:

Imagineer1981
01-06-2009, 12:10 PM
I can't tell you how many people I know who skip Fantasyland because they think its just for kids and a waste of time!!!!

sneezyone
01-06-2009, 02:00 PM
I agree!

I've had people ask my WHY we go at least once a year...

gee....

it's the ONE place on earth where time goes backwards and insted of being "middle aged" you're a kid. There's wide eyed wonder around every corner and every trip has something special.

This being said....

I also had friends ask me what is "good" to do...I've given them advice based on may be a dozen visits...those that considered it...had fun and fell in love.

Those that didn't ended up getting stuck in lines and generally not having much fun

I wonder why they bothered to ask me what to do?

MickeyChick
01-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Ugh, I am dealing with one of those people right now. My FIL wants to take the whole family (MIL, BIL, DH and two stepkids) to WDW in August. Awesome! We were going to go anyway but it's cool to have someone else offer to pay.

Except, he wants to drive from PA to FL, taking 2 days of vacation each way and is INSISTING on staying at one of the chain hotels on International Blvd. Um, no thanks! We want to stay at Pop, like we did when we took my sons and take advantage of all the amenities, perks and Magic of staying at a WDW resort.

We've tried explaining our reasoning to him a million times and he's like a #*%$&% mule with the stubbornness.

He thinks that if you stay at a Disney resort, you can't go to Universal or Sea World. I don't really want to so that's no issue for me, but they're DRIVING here so they don't even have to worry about Mears or taxis. Shrug. Whatever.

Ksmith75
01-08-2009, 11:12 AM
We have found some people who dont go to epcot either. We love epcot...granted it is just my husband and I but we love it. I love the worldshowcase - we spend so much time there. Then again, I know people who ask me how I could spend 9 days at Disneyworld too without kids, they are all like "Um, dont you get bored"....NO - We never have enough time!

bdm@pga
01-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Here's my opinion, it boils down to people just not having a clue as to what they are about to experience. We live 30 minutes from Hershey Park, an amusement park in PA. People think that when they go to Disney World, its like going to Hershey...lets just go and wonder around and ride some rides. Disney is nothing like this! You need a plan, you need knowledge, you need to research, and then you may find that you will experience everything Disney has to offer if you plan on staying more than 1 day in each park. My daughter is 5. She has been there 9 times and we still find things for her to see for the first time. Its amazing to me how people just think they can show up and not have a plan and see everything....now heres the kicker as it refers to the original question:

When these people show up and not have a plan, they can't possible experience everything, so when they are asked about EPCOT and they reply thats its an "educational experience" its because they haven't taken the time to find out what its really about.

What kills me even more is that people spend thousands of dollars to go on a vacation in which they really didn't experience all that it had to offer, and then make opinions based on their stupidity....ok, done with my rant.

4ubie1
01-08-2009, 01:47 PM
What I find most interesting is people's lack of want to be prepared. I love planning my vacations...especially to WDW. I love finding out what all I can do and see. It helps build up the excitement level. :thumbsup:

Side Note: If I come across an individual who doesn't know much about WDW and wants help, I am more than happy to set the record straight. But if they are those " know-it-all" types that don't really know it all, I just laugh and move on. :D

Goes4FastPass
01-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Yowza! 73 replies and 3,161 views.

Let me say again, I certainly don't think all or even most WDW first-times are "fools".

I was just surprised to meet a (another) family staying at week at WDW with MYW admissions and not going near 2 of the WDW theme parks they had never been to because of preconcieved assumptions (Epcot=educational, AK=zoo).

I don't expect every family that visits WDW to be hyper-planners. Remember, "fan" is short for "fanatic" and while I enjoy hanging out with other WDW fans on Intercot, I don't expect everyone to be a WDW fan.

Several of you have written about taking friends and relatives on their first WDW visit -something I enjoy doing also. When I take 'newbies' I (and my wife!) tend to bombard our guests with, "You gotta see this and you gotta ride that and you must taste this..." etc. I think that kind of "guiding" can be to much for many visitors.

I believe first timers should get an overview, a feel for the scope of the world but they should also have time to wander and wonder. Grandma Nancy asked for time to revist and explore Epcot WS on her own. We gave her IntGateway-boat-DHS directions to meet us there later in the day. It worked great. She later said she had no idea she's spend so much time in the department store in Japan.

What's my point? Heavens, I don't know. I think it's perfectly OK for a person to look at the Teacups and say, "Spining isn't plesant for me." but a person who decides to skip the MK entirely because they guess it's just for kids is missing out.

tinksmom02
01-09-2009, 10:52 PM
I understand (and agree with) your point. It's one thing to research something and then decide it's not for you, but quite another to just briefly glance at it and make a snap judgment without really giving it a chance.

I would have to say I fell into the category of "fool" on our first trip as a family. I had a guidebook and knew we wanted a couple sit-down meals, called when we arrived to make PS (this was I think just as the dining plan was getting started). BUT I didn't do any research into park hours, etc. and we ended up only going to MK once during the week.

However, we still had a great time, and WDW has seeped into our blood...so I can definitely say I learned from my mistakes.

I want to go to AK on our next trip, to ride E:E and see the Nemo show, and that's it. We like AK enough, but we're not crazy about it. I can say that having 3 trips under my belt. I would certainly never discourage someone from visiting, and I would never insult someone who claims AK as their favorite park. I can appreciate what AK has to offer, it's just not for our family.

Kind of a ramble, I know, sorry.

2Epcot
01-11-2009, 01:56 AM

No Im not a fool

I agree. I don't think I'm a fool because I've done everything Epcot has to offer at least once and it just doesn't interest me.

If you've been to the parks and that's how you feel, that's OK. I think that's what many people are saying. (For me Epcot is 2 days minimum). What people find strange is those who have never been to certain parks and dismiss them all together.

I had been a huge disney fan long before my first trip to WDW, so I was quite prepared when I finally when there in the mid 80's. On every trip I try to do as much as I can, and see and do anything new that I missed the last time. When I give anyone planning advice on WDW it is from first hand knowledge. If I don't like something, I won't do it again, or maybe not on every trip, but I'm going to experience it for myself at least once.

lockedoutlogic
01-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Many people in general are just plain fools....

So i would have to answer the original question YES

jakeybake
01-11-2009, 11:56 AM
I wouldn't call anyone "fools" because I think at some point we were all in that same boat.

The first time I ever visited WDW was on my honeymoon in '91. We stayed a week at the CB and a week at the GF (thank God we stayed at the CB first!!) and when I think back at all the time we wasted it makes me cringe.

We were completely un-educated on all things Disney back then and wasted a ton of time doing things that we would never dream of doing now. A night on International Drive, another night at some mall in Orlando, eating at some restaraunt we got a free dinner at with our honeymoon package etc. Just loads and loads of wasted time. I'm sure to others we seemed like "fools" but over the years we have become WDW "experts" and are now the go to people for all of our friends and family who are planning trips. I'm sure you all get the same thing, "where should we stay?", "where should we eat?" etc. We have saved more trips than I can count.

So I think of all these so called "fools" as people we once were who will come to be experts someday as we have done.

Jay

thejens
01-11-2009, 11:43 PM
There are many people who just won't ever "get" or appreciate Disney and I personally feel sorry for them. I don't especially like the educational stuff in Epcot (innovations feels like a trade show to me) but I just wait outside (while my kids lap it all up) looking at the flowers, watching the fountain, listening to that awesome Epcot music and smile a goofy smile. Every moment in the World whether it is in the resort or park or restaurant just makes me happy. I feel sad to see cranky folks somehow unable to feel the magic around them. I guess I understand them since I am a type A cynical type in my real life...but as soon as I walk through the park entrance I am a kid just like the Disney commercials show you. Planning and knowledge helps to be sure, but I think you need to have a certain openness. Maybe some people just aren't in touch with that inner child anymore?

animalkingdomguy
01-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Our great country allows everyone the freedom of choice. Unfortunately, too often people choose to remain ignorant of all the delights of WDW. It's too bad they are missing some wonderful experiences.

texasteacher
03-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Folks, I know some sort of political correctness says everyone is entitled to their opinion etc. etc. etc. but

On our last and previous trips to WDW we have struck up bus conversations with more than one family, bright shiny faces, happy excited children... how long are you here for?... a week ... 2 days left... then...

and/or

Are you going to the Animal Kingdom? No! it's just some sort of zoo or something isn't it? Smelly animals. We've been to the zoo back home.

I gotta tell you, I like Dumbo and Corn Dogs as much as anybody but I always find unique and entertaining things for all ages and interests when I take family and friends to any of the Disney Parks.

Can a person who hasn't walked through the gate at EPCOT or AK or DHS know they won't like it? Is that an opinion or a guess?

Sometimes we feel tempted to reply with words like Natazu and Nemo and Soarin' and Dinosaur and Everest and Mulan and Belle but usually we just wait out the rest of the bus ride.

I guess these people go home and tell their friends WDW is a nice place but there's not enough to do there to stay a whole week...

These are the same people that have read a book by reading its cover.

texasteacher
03-20-2009, 12:21 AM
I wish people would understand the magic of disney in all the parks! Every park has it not only MK, i promise!

Being a teacher, I can say that a lot of my students balk when they are asked to use their imaginations. They want instant fun. Anything else bores them.
Sounds like a lot of Disney guests are like that. I think to be a real WDW devotee (or fanatic as some might call us) you have to have a vivid imagination and curious mind and also have an ability to appreciate the beauty in simple things.
Walt Disney was that type of person, so I guess you could say that to really enjoy WDW the way it was meant to be enjoyed, we need to have a mind like Walt.

brownie
03-20-2009, 09:11 AM
It really pays to research Disney World yourself and not just rely on feedback from friends.

grumpyguy
03-20-2009, 09:49 AM
yup,fools....when i encounter a disney fool i always do my best to enpart some disney knowledge i have collected over my recent years of study which often leads to either enlightenment or frustration..
keep spreading the word:thumbsup:

BMan62
03-20-2009, 09:57 AM
yup,fools....when i encounter a disney fool i always do my best to enpart some disney knowledge i have collected over my recent years of study which often leads to either enlightenment or frustration..
keep spreading the word:thumbsup:

As much as you may try to impart your knowledge upon others, they will do their best to refuse to gain that knowledge. Unfortunately, some of these people can become belligerent about it and you face the possibility of turning them against Disney as a whole. Those are the types of people my used to say would 'cut off their nose to spite their face.'

Hey, if they don't get it, it just means that many fewer in the 'other' (non-MK) parks when we go!!!

Mrs Bus Driver
03-20-2009, 10:10 AM
It really pays to research Disney World yourself and not just rely on feedback from friends.

I couldn't agree more, why spend all that money on a vacation and not get your moneys worth.

Being a teacher, I can say that a lot of my students balk when they are asked to use their imaginations. They want instant fun. Anything else bores them.
Sounds like a lot of Disney guests are like that. I think to be a real WDW devotee (or fanatic as some might call us) you have to have a vivid imagination and curious mind and also have an ability to appreciate the beauty in simple things.
Walt Disney was that type of person, so I guess you could say that to really enjoy WDW the way it was meant to be enjoyed, we need to have a mind like Walt.

I can't tell you the amount of pleasure I get from researching my upcoming trips. The joy I have from pulling off a really great evening that includes dinner, a show and time at a park. I feel it is time well spent and a great way to relax. :mickey:

MOJoe
03-20-2009, 10:13 AM
I think to be a real WDW devotee (or fanatic as some might call us) you have to have a vivid imagination and curious mind and also have an ability to appreciate the beauty in simple things.

As someone who deals with the public in a service and retail environment, i can say that this type of person is outnumbered by "fools" by at least 20 to 1. And someone with the genius of Walt is 1 in a million.

Yeh, fools are everywhere. And there, but for the grace of God, goes I. :)
Somewhere there is a teacher i need to thank!

Dulcee
03-20-2009, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't say they're fools but it is awfully sad when parents feel the need to display the educational and the foreign as something that can't be fun and enjoyable :( The beauty of World Showcase is its ability to allow us to understand even in a very small way other cultures we share the world with. Same goes with Animal Kingdom, we can't appreciate nature until we learn to respect it and AK really does teach respect for all living things.

Growing up our family vacations always included museums, educational tours, ect.. I think its given me my ability to be more accepting of differences then others my own age.

drummerboy
03-20-2009, 11:15 AM

You've hit my interpretation of it exactly. :thumbsup: I think a key component in the ability to enjoy a WDW vacation is a healthy and vivid imagination.

GrumpyFan
03-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Some good points have been made here, but I have to ask, who of us, weren't fools ourselves at some point? I know the first time I went to WDW I was pretty foolish, or at the least naive as I had very little idea of what was at WDW other than the Magic Kingdom. My eyes were soon opened, and once we experience it the first time, I wanted more, and began reading books, visiting web-sites and now listening to podcasts.

So, my point would be, give them some slack, maybe they're just first-timers, or maybe they're the type that this is their once in a lifetime vacation. They may never be back again. In the end, it's their loss, and our gain, as they won't be back anytime soon. So, yes, while it's sad for them, take pity on them, but enjoy their loss.

Figment78
03-20-2009, 01:06 PM
I just have to add my :twocents:. . . DH and I were two of the clueless when we went to WDW last year, not because we didn't do research, but because the guide books give a little written description of what each ride is, but no pictures. So as we were reading the descriptions, DH would say, "no, not that one, it sounds boring." so we wound up skipping a lot of things in all the parks (including all of tommorrowland in MK!) :mad:.

Well, I finally got DH to watch some of the disney shows that come on the travel channel AND the planning DVD a couple of weeks ago. Through it all, he kept asking "is that new? it wasn't there when we went. let's go on that when we take DS." And I kept telling him, "no, that's another one you vetoed when we went the first time." DH got very grumpy and said they need to put pictures of every attraction in the guide books for people like him who need to see a picture of a ride to decide if they want to go on it :D.

So, I am soaking up as much advice as I can here on intercot from all of you who know sooooo much more than I do. Thanks for the help, and we'll try not to be clueless in the future.

I LOVE the idea of actual ride photos in the guide books. That's one of the reasons I love researching online instead of using the books. I love reading them (I'm a bit obsessed) but the books available just do not do WDW justice!

If your zoo has a tree with a zillion animal images hand-carved into it and a ride like Dinosaur - count me as your next tourist visiting your town! I'm not a zoo person either, but I do think Animal Kingdom is pretty cool.

Ryan Towle
03-20-2009, 03:16 PM
I've been to Epcot and the Animal Kingdom countless times before, and I can't stand Epcot. And AK really is just a zoo. I could see them being fools if they've never been before. You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. But as for me, no thanks. It's funny because AK and Epcot just happen to be the two parks we're skipping on our next trip.

GrumpyFan
03-20-2009, 03:19 PM
I LOVE the idea of actual ride photos in the guide books. That's one of the reasons I love researching online instead of using the books. I love reading them (I'm a bit obsessed) but the books available just do not do WDW justice!

Most guidebooks are very short on pictures, however, The Complete Guide to Walt Disney World (http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Walt-Disney-World-Guide/dp/0970959680/intercotcom) is filled front to back with lots of great pictures. As is Birnbaum's (http://www.amazon.com/Birnbaums-Walt-Disney-World-2008/dp/1423110463/intercotcom), but they're a little short on their info.

If your zoo has a tree with a zillion animal images hand-carved into it and a ride like Dinosaur - count me as your next tourist visiting your town! I'm not a zoo person either, but I do think Animal Kingdom is pretty cool.Not to mention 2 of the coolest stage shows in ANY park, Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo.

j&j
03-20-2009, 04:55 PM
:mickey:how can anyone not love disney but some not what a shame for them.:mickey:

Imagineer1981
03-20-2009, 05:17 PM

agreed!!!

Mousemates
03-20-2009, 05:45 PM
By the way this kind of thing is not limited to WDW....back in the day (college)I used to work for the Gatlinburg PD as a traffic control officer during the summer and busy autumn season (for those not familiar with the area, Gatlinburg TN is the primary gateway city to the Great Smokies Mountains National Park. On more than one occasion while making conversation with tourists to pass the time (on days with light traffic) I would ask people if they enjoyed the park and what they had seen and i would get answers like "What park?" , "There's a park here, does it have good rides."

However, while thinking folks were a little on the dingy side for not understanding that the GSMNP is s why Gatlinburg exists (and thinking it odd to come to one of the prettiest places in the world and not want to get out and explore it), it made me realize that what I thought was "the best part of the area" wasn't viewed the same way as everyone else...you see the folks who came without knowing there was a national park (just a few) as well as those who knew about it but never entered it for the first time (more than you might think) were perfectly happy just ambling around Gatlinburg, shopping, eating in the restaurant, cruising mainstreet and swimming in the pools.

Everyone one isn't into the great outdoors (GSMNP), an americanized taste of the world (Epcot) or even Africa in central Florda (AKL)...but thats okay. They have to go someone on vacation and if they choose not to take it all in, thats okay too. To each his own.

PixieMagic
03-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Although I completely agree with the original post (especially since I spend more time at EPCOT than any other park!), I see how some people may not enjoy EVERY park...but they should try them all.... Even though AK is not our fav - we still spend at least half a day there every trip because it is worth the experience :mickey:

GoBlueLacheta
03-20-2009, 06:37 PM
WDW goes so far beyond a typical amusement park, even ones with meticulous theming and excellent thrills ( BG Williamsburg). I don't think I would enjoy myself just going for one or two days. It has to be a well-planned ample timed experienced and I think most people miss out on the different dynamics within the World. I mean I know people who have gone over 3 times and have never been to Typhoon Lagoon.

The resorts, waterparks, DTD,food,recreation,and even transportation add elements that really should be taken advantage of.

As for the four major parks, they each add their own magic to the World. People are going have their favorites regardless. I personally enjoy all of them. I do think that Disney needs to add more attractions that have a re-ride aspect to them. Many of the attractions are great but only worth one or maybe visits throughout the week. I know since there is so much you barely have time for it all ,but I think a few more of these at each park would balance everything out and keep classic feel yet still supply newer generations who need more consistent thrills happy.

javamama
03-20-2009, 10:24 PM
I look at it this way it's basically your own loss if your don't try something new with whatever it maybe in life. From the smallest thing to something major, new food, to learing to drive a car at any age. I'm the type who like to try things, I do like to get opinions from some who I consider a reliable source-like this site on certain subjects so I can make an informed decision, when making our WDW vacation every year.
Any I a fool because we didn't ride something or another--for me it was Soarin the last two years no, I had a baby/toddler who needed to nap--so my priority was my child. If I didn't take care of I was the bigger fool.
I think certain people who do certain things make foolish decisions, hopefully they learn from the past and have an open mind on future WDW visits.

LVT
03-21-2009, 09:58 AM

and/or

I perfer they stay away from AK and Epcot to
keep them for myself.

S-A-M
03-21-2009, 10:08 AM
I perfer they stay away from AK and Epcot to
keep them for myself.

AMEN! :thumbsup: :thedolls:

Dsnygirl
03-21-2009, 11:13 AM
I guess a lot of times it comes down to people's expectations of a vacation.

I have a friend who took her family/kids down for the first time last year, and I helped her a lot with information on the different parks, rides, etc.

While she enjoyed watching her girls interact with the characters and liked the rides, she felt she wouldn't go back b/c it just wasn't relaxing for her. A beach, some sun & sand, not moving in the sun for 8 hours? That is relaxing to her. (Something I enjoy, as well, but wouldn't find relaxing after the first 4 hours... then I wanna DO something... :blush:)

They skipped a lot of things I thought they and their girls would enjoy -- AK was "just animals" and Epcot was just "learning about countries they didn't care about" -- yet when she looked at my pictures from the same places, she was like, "Where is that? Oh, I might've done that!" :confused:

So, preconceived notions based on what they've heard from the uneducated (okay, and unbiased, unDisneycrazed... ;)) masses definitely affect what they expect and plan to do, and if you're idea of fun isn't what Disney offers, you'll be sorely disappointed and bored outside of (and maybe even within) MK.

Sad, but like Ian said, shorter waits for us if those folks never go, or never return... :)

Gator
03-21-2009, 03:36 PM
If you go to WDW and hit 2 parks, then you're a fool. You might as well go to Disneyland Resort. DL has more rides than MK, and CalAdv has plenty of fun rides. But without Epcot and AK, it's not nearly as fun of a trip. With four parks, you can really escape reality...which is why I go to WDW (3000 miles away) vs DL (300 miles away). :mickey:

caryrae
03-21-2009, 04:28 PM
I can't imagine all the great things I may miss out on in life if I didn't do things because I think I may not like it.

pixiesmimi
03-21-2009, 06:53 PM
The first time we went to WDW we didn't fully enjoy the World Showcase at Epcot because we really didn't know what it was about. We walked around the countries and went in some of the shops but didn't go into the main buildings of the countries and decided it was too long a walk around and not enough to do. Same with AK and it was very hot with no place to sit down and rest out of the heat. But after I bought a book on WDW and started reading all the ins and outs of the parks, I got excited and we decided we would explore more the next trip. That was the beginning of our obsession. I didn't figure that DH would want to watch the DVD but when I started watching he became very interested in it all. So everytime we have gone since, we try to do something different that we have never done and we get very excited about going again every year. I could go every month and not get bored but DH says once a year is enough. :) If he could fish down there every time (too expensive) he would go every time I wanted to go. :D Maybe the answer is to hand a book and the DVD to those who are clueless and think there isn't anything to do down there and watch them change their minds if they don't want to listen to our advice about it. :)

TheVBs
03-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Definitely to each his own! :mickey:

But, I do have to say that everytime I hear someone describe AK as just a zoo, all I can think is - "I wanna go to your zoo!!" :) I've been to big city zoos and little itty bitty zoos. And while I love them all, I have never seen one that even comes close to what AK is. :mickey:

RocknBev
03-21-2009, 09:21 PM
I believe the correct terminology is ignorance. They just don't know any better. Fools know better and do not act on their knowledge. Of course it seems to be foolish not to take advantage of the resources available to them but if they view the WDW in 2009 like the WDW of 1973...they will be lost and confused and will waste a good deal of their money!

I agree with the pp who said...shorter lines for us!:secret:

DH and I have been WDW visitors since the 70's (separately since we were both kids). He never wanted to go to Epcot so it took me years to talk him into it. Now it is one of his favorite parks.

He still doesn't care of AK but he did try it. I need to change his mind about going to see shows...he hates that for some reason...and I love them...who better to put on a fabulous stage production than Disney?!:thumbsup:
Although I have seen quite a few...it typically take the twisting of an arm to accomplish it!

NYChica23
06-17-2009, 06:30 PM
I know what you mean. As someone who only gets to go to WDW once every few years, I agree that things are better when you have a plan. The last time I went with my family in September 07, I had gone to Barnes and Nobles and bought a WDW guide a couple of weeks before departure day, so I was familiar with all the parks and knew all about Fastpasses, which restaurants to eat at, which rides to go on, which shows and parades to see, and how to get from the resort to the parks. Even though I only had 4 days to tour the parks, I got to go on all the rides I wanted and all the shows I had planned to see because I did my research ahead of time

TheRustyScupper
06-17-2009, 10:33 PM
1) Let's look at it another way.
2) Before Disney, I knew
. . . Cedar Point
. . . Toledo Zoo and Cleveland Zoo
. . . Ringling Brothers
3) But never guessed what I would see at Magic Kingdom.
4) And this was BEFORE Epcot was invented.
5) I was also surprised by Epcot when it finally opened.
6) Boy, was mind blown! (Still is!)
7) These people are probably in the same position.
8) One day, they will have their opinions changed.

NOTE: It was unfortunate that we visited Magic Kingdom, then Epcot when it opened, and was blown away both times. I got a little disappointed at MGM and AK necause they were not as well thought out or planned as MK or Epcot.

wdwfansince75
06-18-2009, 09:39 AM
We (I, DW, DS#1, and DD's # 1 & 2) on our first trip to DL in 71, were lost, bewildered, and confused......but by noontime, I had picked up a park map and daily schedule....So over lunch, I planned the rest of the day......And do at least some research for every trip to WDW.....DW laughs at my obsession with planning, but depends on my knowledge of the parks and WDW every day on our trips.

On almost every trip, I have had the chance to share my park maps and times guides with people who looked lost.....bewildered, but not frustrated... Or when I hear them talk about the long line at Splash, and whether they should just wait, I ask if they know about fast passes....
I never leave our resort without Park Maps and Times Guides for my destination park(s)....and often share them on the bus or monorail.......From time to time, I see the same families later in the trip, and had them thank me for how much my tips helped their trip. And, yes, I have met families who didn't realize that there were 4 parks (How do they miss that?), or don't know that you can ride the Monorail even if you aren't a WDW Resort guest, or that there are Character Meals at the resorts.....And I share my opinions of what to do, and when to do it....

crltkcagle
06-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Too bad for them thats more room in the parks for us!

Imagineer1981
06-18-2009, 10:58 AM
The worst is when people ask you, "why do you keep going back, don't you want to go to the beach or see the world". I then proceed to tell them, I can do that right at WDW!!!!

Ksmith75
06-18-2009, 01:06 PM
We always stay for 9 nights - that way we have 2 days at each park - one full day each and then highlights as we see fit. I could stay there for 3 days in each park if we could. I get the whole - Disney - why it is just a theme park....other people are so wrong.

SueQ
06-18-2009, 01:13 PM
My sister and her family don't usually go to Epcot. She's one of the "too educational" ones. I love Epcot. And I cannot imagine someone not wanting to go to AK. Especially if you have kids.

I love everything about Disney and hate to miss anything while there.

EeyoresBestFriend
06-18-2009, 04:03 PM
We love all the parks! Like people, they each have a different personality.

That being said ~ AK is alot nicer if you like animals; Epcot is far more enjoyable if you love to wander, snoop and EAT ! :secret:

When I give trip recommendations or tour with newbies ~ we describe Epcot as a great place to "investigate". Take the time to wander and observe, or avoid, your choice. :mickey:

Quick cute story ~ when we went with my cousin and her REALLY ride oriented kids, she had told me that they were going to pass on Epcot because it looked 'boring' to the kids. Like any true WDW addict, I made them go and see it the way we tend to "do" Epcot! :D After they got back home, she was shocked to hear from her kids how much the enjoyed Epcot, had a blast and it had been their favorite of all the parks! Go figure!

Familyof4
06-18-2009, 04:17 PM
I agree with you as well. But, I will say that ANimal Kingdom, for example is not one of my most favorite parts of my WDW vacation. However, we go every time we come to the world because you never know what you might see. I think that goes for every park. We have our favorite spots and we visit them more frequently. But every park is a must see. ANyway, even though we are all entitled to an opinion, it doesn't mean you have to try and bring someone down while you are expressing it:-) MAybe try chatting with your own party--sometimes that is a better conversation. The bus driver is also a good choice. We always find out cool things from them.

clou1028
06-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Wow, I love Epcot, I can't imagine missing it! And it has some of the best rides, even if someone isn't into the "educational" aspect of it. I love Test Track and Soarin'. HISTA, UoE, their are so many wonderful things there!

Everytime I go to WDW, I go for 5 days/4 nights (with the exception of my honeymoon which was 10 days), so you know with that shorter amount of time, I can't do everything. And it's always so hard picking what to do because I love all the parks so much for different reasons.

mudpuppysmom
06-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Little story.....my sister and her family were with us in December for our trip....we decide to go on Living with the Land ride.....when it was over I whispered to my then 3 yr old niece if she liked it or not and she SCREAMED, "I LOVE IT LETS DO IT AGAIN!!!".....My sister plainly said, and I quote, "gee, that was educational"

The kids loved it, my sister hated it....I think it's great that the kids loved it! Why did they miss school......well, I spin Disney as an educational field trip to my DS#1's principal(s). His kindergarten year it was just signed and no homework assigned to him; this past year they got a new principal and I spoke to him personally about how he felt about my take on this being an educational field trip....he absolutely 100% supported the idea -- we talked about the animals and conservation at AK; all the different cultures in WS in Epcot as well as FW and use of your imagination and where that could take you. MK he did say was just for fun, but you have to have some of that he said....and MGM he was was a history lesson regarding movies.

So for us it's fun learning -- my son does not even realize half the time that he IS learning something while he is having fun and using his imagination! When we got back in December he had to give a little presentation to his class on what he did and the principal attended his "talk" and said he was quite impressed with how much we do while we're there and the ground we cover!

I'm glad we have a principal and teachers that are onboard with this idea.....I try to schedule our trips when DS will miss the least amount of school, like when they have breaks or inservice days, etc......so we don't miss a full week, usually 3-4 days max

So to answer OP's question if people are fools.....I think to each his own opinion. Everyone wears different strengths of glasses and sees different things.

Lakin
06-19-2009, 01:09 AM

That's the spirit! :party: