PDA

View Full Version : Who's working during the holidays?

princessjojo
12-24-2008, 08:38 AM
I'm just curious. I know I have to work Christmas Day, but I work in a hospital, so I knew this going in to the job. Actually, I don't mind. The hospital can be a lonely place, especially during the holidays. My family spent Christmas, New Years, and Easter there one year. It was nice knowing that some of our nurses chose to be there with us during our family time.

That said, I chose to work this day for this same reason, but don't have to be there until 1pm and get off at 7pm. I get New Years Eve and New Years Day also, though not both days by choice.

Anyone else working the holidays this year?

Beast_fanatic
12-24-2008, 08:42 AM
I'm working today (Christmas Eve) and then I'm off until Monday, and then next week I work Monday through Wednesday (New Year's Eve which will be a late day as all the credit unions will be processing year end), I'll hopefully be off New Year's day, and then I have to work Friday the 2nd.

Strmchsr
12-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Being a pastor I'll be working today and tomorrow. I appreciate everyone in the hospitals, police and fire, military, etc who are working today and tomorrow to keep everyone else safe. Thanks for all you do! In fact, tonight after our Christmas Eve worship service all of my congregation members are going to be delivering doughnuts to everyone we can find who's working tonight just to say thanks and you're appreciated! :number1:

princessgirls
12-24-2008, 10:02 AM
My Husband... he is a CAT scan technician in our area hospital ER. He likes to work the holidays... as he puts it, it is "Lucrative". I've had it! The only bonus is that he works the midnight shift, so he doesn't miss too much stuff going on at home.
He worked every holiday in 2008.
Julie:mickey:

Bethis26fan
12-24-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm working today, but then I'm off till Monday. I work at the courthouse and except for a few people we are dead. Glad the boss isn't here, because I'm going to read a book. :)

CanadianWDWFan
12-24-2008, 10:42 AM
After noon today I am off until Jan 5/08. :fworks: :joy::clappy::yay:

Silly me though, I volunteered to take a company laptop home and work from home. :crazy:

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to everyone! :santa::newyear:

Marker
12-24-2008, 10:50 AM
I am supposed to be on vacation beginning today (Christmas eve) and not returning until Monday January 5.

But alas, I'm still working. And will probably be working for at least half of that time if not more.

I commited to having this project done on time, and I intend to. At least if I don't make the deadline, it won't be for lack of trying. The frustrating part is, other in my team are on a project that is noticably late, and they're not bothering to put in the effort, before Christmas or after. But that's not my worry. I can only control what I do, and I'm doing what I percieve to be the right thing.

With the rumors of more staff reductions coming in January, I think I'd rather be known for the effort I put in, rather than the indifference other are showing.

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!!! Hope your holidays are happy.

garymacd
12-24-2008, 11:04 AM
For the first time in a long time, I am off both Christmas and New Year's Eve and Day. Usually I am working one or both. I am working the entire week between Christmas and New Year's Eve Day.

There was one year, while my Beloved Wife was still working, when we actually had to celebrate Christmas with our kids on December 27th since I was working nights and she was working days.

Such is the life of essential service providers, but we wouldn't have had it any other way.

ElenitaB
12-24-2008, 11:29 AM
I don't provide essential services but...

I have two more days of vacation that I must use before the end of the year, so I'll be taking half of Friday off and then a day and a half next week, plus I'll probably dip into some of this fiscal year's vacation allotment (our vacation year runs from October through September, but we're allowed to use the "leftovers" until Dec 31... confusing enough?).

I'm also starting a long overdue project and figure that I can actually work on it without being bombarded by other requests for my attention. This is as closest to "downtime" that I've seen in years.

Happy holidays, all!

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-24-2008, 11:38 AM
I work at a church, so I'm working an 11-hour day today, starting a 1pm, but it is such an exciting time at church that I don't mind, although my feet do after a while.

My Dad is a police officer, so we're used to strange schedules during the holidays. He does say that it is amazing the support they get on Christmas! One year a lady dropped off an entire Christmas dinner for 20 to the police station.

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas :gift:

kakn7294
12-24-2008, 11:47 AM
I was lucky enough that my 17 yrs of service was enough to allow me to get Christmas week off this year. I finished up at 7:30 Sat am and don't go back until Mon at 7 pm. I already know I'll have to work it next year as someone with more senority than me transfered into my unit and she took Christmas week next year - but I work steady nights so that helps! I will work New Year's Day but not until 7 pm. I also had Thanksgiving off but I did work every other major holiday in 2008.

Stich8818
12-24-2008, 01:08 PM
I get to work today (12/24) till three..then off till next Tuesday the 30th, then work till three on Dec 31 then off for another five days...

But I too want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday Season....Thank you to all who do thankless jobs..

Davyjones
12-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm working Xmas Eve, Xmas Day and New Year's Eve this year at the zoo. I've learned that the animals don't care what day it is. ;)

snuggs30
12-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Yep I am here at work today then off Christmas Day and I have to work the day after Christmas then next day off is not till jan.01. It stinks because nobody is coming in and we are BORED! But I work for Job and Family Services, and we are here to serve the public. Happy Holidays Everyone!

Ian
12-24-2008, 03:45 PM
My office actually closes starting Christmas Eve and we don't re-open until the 5th of January. So I have lots of nice time off to spend with the family over the holidays.

It's definitely one of the nice perks of working for a small company! :thumbsup:

Piglet822
12-24-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm working but I volunteered for it :) I'm one of three buses driving the FSU football team around this week. They're in town for the Champs Bowl on Saturday :)

Ed
12-24-2008, 04:28 PM
After working the last six Christmases, mostly voluntarily, I'm finally taking off this year. I start vacation today, and don't go back until January 3rd.

:newyear:

dolphinmickey9170
12-24-2008, 07:06 PM
DH :fireman::ambal: and I (in the ER) are both working. We were off Christmas eve, though.

2Epcot
12-24-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm at work right now on Christmas Eve. I will fly home tomorrow around noon, then come back on Monday to start work early. This will be the latest I've ever gone home for Christmas, but I'm used to working holidays over the years. As I always say when people are surprised I have to work holidays ...Does your TV come on and have a programming on the holidays?

mrsgaribaldi
12-25-2008, 03:05 AM
I'm working right now. Actually I'm home on a break but I get off work at 7am. ;)Then I'm not back until Sat night. I'm off for all of New Years. Happy Holidays everyone:mickey:

cindchan
12-25-2008, 09:11 PM
I work in a hospital clinic, and we're closed on Christmas and New Year's Day. Other than that, I'm working. I actually was able to leave 15 mins before the end of the day. That was a nice little bonus.

I hope we can get something like that on New Year's Eve.

I miss my last job, in that we only had to work till 2pm on the two Eves. Oh well.

MNNHFLTX
12-26-2008, 07:53 PM
I worked yesterday (Christmas Day) and it was busy! In fact, we only had three empty beds on our unit and could have used another nurse--this is very unusual for either Christmas or Thanksgiving. But everyone was in high holiday spirits and it was a good (and yes, very lucrative) day to work!

Cinderelley
12-27-2008, 07:30 AM
I worked Christmas Day and will work New Year's Eve & Day. I don't mind as long as I get Christmas Eve off to go to church. I appreciate everyone at the church who takes the time out of their Christmas festivities with their families, so that we can remember the true meaning of Christmas.

pianobabe
12-27-2008, 01:27 PM
This was the first year in over 7 years I have actually gotten off for Christmas day or Christmas Eve. I feel very blessed to have this time off with my family. Even though DH still had to work Christmas Eve and the Day after, we got to spend a lot of time with our families and DS.

GrandFlo
12-27-2008, 08:49 PM
I got lucky this year, had off Christams day, but had to work the day before and day after.

It really doesn't bother me too much. I feel guilty if I complain, I can go home at the end of my shift but my patients can't.